Greater Cleveland Conference (2023)

Who wins the Greater Cleveland Conference?

• Brunswick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cleveland Heights

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • Euclid

• Medina

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • Mentor

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • Shaker Heights

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Solon

• Strongsville

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Greater Cleveland Conference
Brunswick
Cleveland Heights
Euclid
Medina
Mentor
Shaker Heights
Solon
Strongsville

Who wins the league? What teams are trending up? What teams are trending down?

Last edited:

Greater Cleveland Conference
Brunswick
Euclid
Medina
Mentor
Solon
Strongsville

Who wins the league? What teams are trending up? What teams are trending down?

Also, we are in need of business sponsors for the football preview in 2023. It is only $20 for a business to sponsor a team football preview. This is important for helping this site continue. You can sign your business up here:

Forgot Shaker Hts and Cleveland Hts

Mentor and Medina will again be heads and shoulders above everybody else.

Cleveland Heights has to be at the top of the next tier, but I think Strongsville will be much improved and could battle for that No. 3 spot.

I'm not sure after that, but something like, in order: Brunswick, Solon, Euclid and Shaker Heights.

Thoughts on the league? Most are predicting some combination of Medina, Mentor, and Cleveland Heights in the top three. Makes sense to me.

The bottom half of the league will be competitive with each other, but I think the top three could put most of those games against Euclid, Shaker, Brunswick, and Solon in a running clock.

Strongsville sounds like expectations might put them squarely in the middle.

Since Yappi started this thread and it's title is about the 2023 GCC season, we should probably move the talk from the Heights joining the GCC thread over here.

But as I mentioned in the other thread, I have pretty high expectations for the overall quality of the league this year.

Going back to May I see I posted that Mentor and Medina were heads and shoulders above the rest. I'm gonna walk that back. The Heights posters have sold me that it's a reload and not a rebuild for them (though losing Fair and Bisker is what 2,000 or so rushing yards). But they have some players coming up where it may not be as big a drop off as I thought a couple months ago.

At this point, I'll put it like this:

Status quo:
Mentor, Medina, Cleveland Heights

Those are the three best teams on paper and all were very good last year. All three have some questions as to why they may not be quite as good this year, but no real red flags about why they could drop off.

On the rise:
Strongsville

They took their licks last year as expected since they were playing underclassmen nearly across the board. They are a year older now but still a bulk of their returnees will be juniors. The lower classes have been pretty good the last couple years so it's more a very bright 2024, but won't rule out some noise this year.

Unknowns:
Brunswick, Solon, Euclid, Shaker

No clue on Brunswick. I think Solon is going to be bad, but it's hard to completely bury the Solon program. Euclid has no where to go but up so they should be improved. No clue on Shaker outside they had a hard time competing last go-around in the GCC, but they may have the best individual prospect in the league in Trey McNutt (a league that probably has a dozen or more high level prospects).

1. Heights
2-3. I think that Medina and Mentor will fill these spots. On paper, these teams seem very comperable.
4. Strongsville
5. Brunswick
6. Solon
7. Euclid
8. Shaker Heights

There is a lot of talent in the league and regardless of the team, these kids are going to play their hearts out. Right now, it's my opinion that Cleveland Heights looks best on paper, but the games are played on the field, so we'll just have to see.

Scrimmage schedules: (at least from what I found on ArbiterSports):

Mentor
8/4 vs. Austintown Fitch & Kenston (10am)
8/11 vs. Chardon (1pm)

Medina
8/10 at Westerville Central (6pm)

Cleveland Heights
8/5 at Massillon Perry (Noon)
8/11 at Akron Buchtel (4pm)

Euclid
8/10 Lorain (6pm)

Anyone know of any scrimmages for Shaker Heights, Strongsville, or Solon?

According to Matt Goul Medina and Cleveland Heights are picked in the pre-season OHSAA D1 rankings.

3. Medina (11-2): All-Ohio quarterback Danny Stoddard leads the Bees for his senior year with a trio of receivers who also are back after Medina repeated as Greater Cleveland Conference champion and made it to the Region 1 semifinals. The Bees’ defense boasts versatile pass rusher Nathan Nunn and two of the toughest safeties in the state with Tallen Hulvey and Cooper Josefczyk, both juniors, to make this team the top challenger to St. Edward in Region 1

6. Cleveland Heights (10-2): Now in the Greater Cleveland Conference, Cleveland Heights will find consistent tests from powerhouses Medina and Mentor after four straight Lake Erie League titles. Ninth-year coach Mac Stephens has the pieces to contend on this stage with returning All-Ohio safety Marquise Davis, who is moving up to linebacker with a bigger role expected on offense at running back. Another Power Five prospect, Brandon Caesar, is back for his junior year to lead the defense.

I saw that list and it makes some sense. I feel like Medina getting ranked the highest in the league adds up. Mentor not being in the top ten is hard to argue. But I don’t know about Heights being ranked that high. We shall see.

I saw that list and it makes some sense. I feel like Medina getting ranked the highest in the league adds up. Mentor not being in the top ten is hard to argue. But I don’t know about Heights being ranked that high. We shall see.
I think Goul is forgetting about how Mentor handled Medina in the playoffs after rounding into form.

I also don't see how Medina is a powerhouse ? They've made two regional finals lately and lost by 35 points each time. I think standards get lowered if you call a team a powerhouse that hasn't even ever won region 1.

Medina and Heights are good opponents and solid but you can't be called a power until you make some deep playoff runs

I think Goul is forgetting about how Mentor handled Medina in the playoffs after rounding into form.

I also don't see how Medina is a powerhouse ? They've made two regional finals lately and lost by 35 points each time. I think standards get lowered if you call a team a powerhouse that hasn't even ever won region 1.

Medina and Heights are good opponents and solid but you can't be called a power until you make some deep playoff runs
If medina beat Wadsworth they are the real deal.

1. Heights
2-3. I think that Medina and Mentor will fill these spots. On paper, these teams seem very comperable.
4. Strongsville
5. Brunswick
6. Solon
7. Euclid
8. Shaker Heights

There is a lot of talent in the league and regardless of the team, these kids are going to play their hearts out. Right now, it's my opinion that Cleveland Heights looks best on paper, but the games are played on the field, so we'll just have to see.
While I like Coach Stephens and what he has done at Heights I just cannot get that '22 Iggy playoff game out of my head. Until they tighten up the attention to detail I have a hard time naming them as one of the team to beat in 2023.

In other GCC news us chumps living in Shaker get to see yet another ask for more $s to pump into a good but not great district:

In what world is 9.95 mil worth of levies in a single election cycle needed? Oh yes Shaker Heights where the voters never say no to any tax increase so $s are thrown around like Monopoly money. And by the way this doesn't even include a needed re-do on the High School. In 3 years or so they will probably be looking for another 5 mils for that along with the 3 year cycle of an operating levy of 4 mils. Funny how none of these $s find their way to the athletic department, their facilities are arguably the worst in this conference.

In other GCC news us chumps living in Shaker get to see yet another ask for more $s to pump into a good but not great district:

In what world is 9.95 mil worth of levies in a single election cycle needed? Oh yes Shaker Heights where the voters never say no to any tax increase so $s are thrown around like Monopoly money. And by the way this doesn't even include a needed re-do on the High School. In 3 years or so they will probably be looking for another 5 mils for that along with the 3 year cycle of an operating levy of 4 mils. Funny how none of these $s find their way to the athletic department, their facilities are arguably the worst in this conference.
and in what world does this have anything to do with high school football?

While I like Coach Stephens and what he has done at Heights I just cannot get that '22 Iggy playoff game out of my head. Until they tighten up the attention to detail I have a hard time naming them as one of the team to beat in 2023.
I guess we'll just have to see what happens. I've seen great coaches lose and average coaches picked up by great players. When I made the prediction, I was pretty confident that others might disagree.

Its so said my alma mater (solon) is chasing old football glory to leave the best basketball legaue in the area when the basketball program has lapped the football program. I dont think Solon football will ever be what it used to be.

1690824826812.png

Last edited:
Its so said my alma mater (solon) is chasing old football glory to leave the best basketball legaue in the area when the basketball program has lapped the football program. I dont think Solon football will ever be what it used to be.
Times change. Solon used to play Chardon, West G and Kenston on muddy small school fields back in the day until they outgrew it. Now they are shrinking a bit and seeking their level again. They can still schedule GCC and LEL powers non-league in hoops.

Times change. Solon used to play Chardon, West G and Kenston on muddy small school fields back in the day until they outgrew it. Now they are shrinking a bit and seeking their level again. They can still schedule GCC and LEL powers non-league in hoops.
That old CVC conference was the best in NE Ohio for MANY years.