CBC 2021. (Central Buckeye Conference)

thavoice

Mike Hartsock was one of the best local sportscasters i’ve seen. loved his football friday features and game recaps. even took time thursday night to do a preview show.
I dont know it it played in your market, but did you see him in a local commercial spot during the super bowl?

Always a big deal when he would show up! He would show up in Mercer County in his chopper!

ghsknightsfan

I dont know it it played in your market, but did you see him in a local commercial spot during the super bowl?

Always a big deal when he would show up! He would show up in Mercer County in his chopper!
I didn't see it! would have liked to. He showed up at Greenon once, possibly twice?

dhsdog06

WOSN has expanded?
That is awesome! Truly spoiled! And the quality was good. IL was on vs I think NW this fall and man the announcer was absolutely atrocious and talked out his arse all game. When the kids watched the replay they were like 'wtf is this guy talking about?
Yep they took over WNHO and started doing games further north!

Cool thing is we never really got it around Defiance, but of course we get WNHO. Some of the replays they show on 26 are the more southern games so we get a chance to see some WBL/NWC/MAC games now. Really fun to see teams we all hear about but never get to see other than the few that play in those leagues.

thavoice

It showed he retired, which ii didn't know, and some local company was looking for a spokesman and he applied and got the job. It was much better than I explained.

Scroll down the page a little bit and it is embedded.

thavoice

In my area if Mr. Hartsock or Vince Koza (Lima area), God Rest His Soul, was poking around you knew it was a biiiiig game!

Now its the WOSN crew!
One of these days the telecast of a hoops game I played in during the early 90s will be on again! I rmember that game with them setting up the cameras and such.

But I digress.

bcw

It's entertaining to discuss league shake-ups, especially with 2 feet of snow on the ground. The reality is that AD's and school Admins don't have a lot of stomach for those headaches. Changes generally happen when obvious problems or opportunities arise. Neither applies here. I will bet that the CBC and OHC remain as is for at least another 5 years and probably more like 10 years.

CoachRoberts84

I'm not super familiar with this conference, what is the story behind Urbana? Weren't they conference Champs just 2 years ago or something?

ghsknightsfan

It's entertaining to discuss league shake-ups, especially with 2 feet of snow on the ground. The reality is that AD's and school Admins don't have a lot of stomach for those headaches. Changes generally happen when obvious problems or opportunities arise. Neither applies here. I will bet that the CBC and OHC remain as is for at least another 5 years and probably more like 10 years.
i understand what you’re saying but the CBC/OHC are due for another major shakeup within 5 years. we will probably see the Clark County schools get together and then see the logan/union/champaign schools get together in some format.

Captain Obvious

I'm not super familiar with this conference, what is the story behind Urbana? Weren't they conference Champs just 2 years ago or something?
As GHS Knights alluded to, they were 5-5 the last time they won a shared title. If I’m not mistaken, that team ran off four straight running clocks to finish the season, including a blowout win over a playoff team. Looking at their results, they might have been a few plays from being a playoff team. I believe the 2018 team dealt with many injuries at key positions early in the season.
They essentially put a JV team, in terms of experience, on the field this past fall. Starting with the freshman class, there’s some talent coming to compete in the KTD. The key will be getting and keeping the best athletes involved. This past fall they were led in rushing in at least one game by a kid who also started on the soccer team. The turnover of head coaches in the past decade has hurt the program. Cotner returning to the helm is an important step to rebuilding. Also, having Rogan return helps.

Last edited:

thavoice

they were like, 5-5 at best maybe. they haven’t had much talent since the Mays duo left. that program is not in a good state.
Yeah, being a champ in the CBC, especially in the small school division, can be a bit of a misnomer when it comes down to an overall record.

ghsknightsfan

Yeah, being a champ in the CBC, especially in the small school division, can be a bit of a misnomer when it comes down to an overall record.
Urbana Records
2020: 0-7
2019: 0-10
2018: 5-5 (win over Shawnee was impressive, didn't beat anyone else notable)
2017: 4-6
2016: 2-8
2015: 2-8
2014: 7-3 (last year of Mays QB/Coach, missed out on playoffs)
2013: 10-1 (playoff loss @cincinnati McNick)
2012: 9-2 (playoff loss vs. Sandusky Perkins)
2011: 8-2 (playoff loss @Columbus Eastmoor)

they have not recovered since the Mays left. now, the Mays were GOOD. he started as a Freshman at QB and immediately took them to the playoffs.

the 2018 team just wasn't anything but average. Northwestern was the best team in the division and they slipped into the playoffs before getting throttled. the CBC Mad River had mostly been down before North Union joined (2016 being the outlier, was a good year for league)

CoachRoberts84

As GHS Knights alluded to, they were 5-5 the last time they won a shared title. If I’m not mistaken, that team ran off four straight running clocks to finish the season, including a blowout win over a playoff team. Looking at their results, they might have been a few plays from being a playoff team. I believe the 2018 team dealt with many injuries at key positions early in the season.
They essentially put a JV team, in terms of experience, on the field this past fall. Starting with the freshman class, there’s some talent coming to compete in the KTD. The key will be getting and keeping the best athletes involved. This past fall they were led in rushing in at least one game by a kid who also started on the soccer team. The turnover of head coaches in the past decade has hurt the program. Cotner returning to the helm is an important step to rebuilding. Also, having Rogan return helps.
Awesome info, thanks!

LELL

I agree, it will be awhile although it seems that Greenon fans want out of the OHC and back into the CBC now. I'm not sure the Knights are ready for that just yet. Build a winning culture, then go back to the CBC. JMHO.

ghsknightsfan

I agree, it will be awhile although it seems that Greenon fans want out of the OHC and back into the CBC now. I'm not sure the Knights are ready for that just yet. Build a winning culture, then go back to the CBC. JMHO.
I would never pick the current CBC Mad River over the OHC South. I don't care what league we are in, I'm more concerned about what teams are in it. Ideally, there would be a league that was south of Champaign county that included a mix of some of the current CBC and OHC schools.

what im getting at is, Greeneview and Greenon should probably never be in a league with Fairbanks or Triad. Northwestern should probably never be in a division with North Union or Ben Logan. that's how it is.

LELL

I would never pick the current CBC Mad River over the OHC South. I don't care what league we are in, I'm more concerned about what teams are in it. Ideally, there would be a league that was south of Champaign county that included a mix of some of the current CBC and OHC schools.

what im getting at is, Greeneview and Greenon should probably never be in a league with Fairbanks or Triad. Northwestern should probably never be in a division with North Union or Ben Logan. that's how it is.
I bet that's what they said when the MAC was formed. You have to beat them and have a good OOC, period.

OHCStrong

Man, it's amazing how we get spoiled and all too soon forget history.

25 years ago, the WCOC was a conference comprised of teams mostly together because of "travel times." Everyone decided they wanted to travel a little further so that they could grow athletically with better competition. Same for the KTC. So they formed a conference of similarly sized schools, all within an hour drive of one another. The CBC essentially is the big school version of the OHC and had a similar path to their current state.

Now we are complaining about the 40 minute drive from Enon to Milford Center? I would guess that the CBC and OHC have very average travel times compared to the other leagues in the state of Ohio. Imagine being Lima Senior in the TRAC.

Curious as to why, as a Clark County guy, that you are choosing to cut out the Champaign County teams in your proposals and keeping the Greene County teams?

There is absolutely nothing wrong, from a logistical standpoint, with how the CBC or OHC are aligned. Could you shift a team or two around? Sure. Could you cut a team or two out and add a better fit? Sure. But there has to be some hidden, deeper reasoning behind what you are saying. You've been pushing the realignment card for 2 years. Curious if this is a Greenon mentality, or just a personal mentality of yours? Because to join a new league in order to have a little more success, find a little bit of success in that league and then call to disband the league and take original members with you; all in a span of 3 years, is a little bold.

ghsknightsfan

Man, it's amazing how we get spoiled and all too soon forget history.

25 years ago, the WCOC was a conference comprised of teams mostly together because of "travel times." Everyone decided they wanted to travel a little further so that they could grow athletically with better competition. Same for the KTC. So they formed a conference of similarly sized schools, all within an hour drive of one another. The CBC essentially is the big school version of the OHC and had a similar path to their current state.

Now we are complaining about the 40 minute drive from Enon to Milford Center? I would guess that the CBC and OHC have very average travel times compared to the other leagues in the state of Ohio. Imagine being Lima Senior in the TRAC.

Curious as to why, as a Clark County guy, that you are choosing to cut out the Champaign County teams in your proposals and keeping the Greene County teams?

There is absolutely nothing wrong, from a logistical standpoint, with how the CBC or OHC are aligned. Could you shift a team or two around? Sure. Could you cut a team or two out and add a better fit? Sure. But there has to be some hidden, deeper reasoning behind what you are saying. You've been pushing the realignment card for 2 years. Curious if this is a Greenon mentality, or just a personal mentality of yours? Because to join a new league in order to have a little more success, find a little bit of success in that league and then call to disband the league and take original members with you; all in a span of 3 years, is a little bold.
i think the WCOC would be a very solid league today, just my opinion

i choose Greene county over Champaign county due to the Greene County schools having nowhere else to go. Champaign County schools also fit quite well with the Logan/Union County schools.

i can assure you there’s no hidden reason. i have my opinion, you have yours. demographics change. it’s been 20 years since we had a major alignment.

if you have further questions about how i feel and i why i feel the way i do, my Direct Message is open.

btw, Greenon to Fairbanks is 51 minutes with no traffic. on a bus, it’s over an hour. Greeneview to Fairbanks is over an hour. more on a bus.

there’s no Greenon mentality. i don’t speak for Greenon. i have my personal opinion. that’s that.

nwwarrior09

The CBC isn't entirely aligned by enrollment at the moment. Shawnee has dipped to 8th in the league in enrollment, but by competitiveness they are where they belong. By the current numbers Graham is averaging about 15 more kids per class and Urbana is around 6-7 more kids per class than them.

When the current divisional format of the CBC began in 2001 Shawnee was one of the 3-4 largest schools and they were a large D3 in football when football still had six divisions. For 1-2 cycles in the mid-2000s they crept up to D2 and were larger than everyone except Tecumseh. Indian Lake was D3 and in the Kenton Trail until the first realignment in 2006-07 when Miami East left. Today they're the second smallest school in the league. In the early years in the divisional format, the 2-3 smallest schools, which at the time included Kenton Ridge, were D4 with everyone else being D3 and Tecumseh D2. The numbers don't lie. The majority of this league has shrunk substantially over the last 15-20 years, and between dwindling size and/or the current level they compete at, the bottom of this league blends into the largest schools in the OHC at this point.

I'm not in any hurry to blow everything up, but between declining enrollments with most of these communities aging demographically, school budgets getting tighter (and for many, they'll continue to get even tighter as their taxbase continues to shrink and age), and the playoff expansion in football it makes a lot of sense to be evaluating the possibility of reverting back to being more geography based for leagues over the coming years. I think we probably get through the rest of this decade, but in about 10 years or so I wouldn't be surprised if 1-2 moves end up causing a massive domino effect of movement.

bcw

Enrollment numbers are overrated to me. I put it 4th or 5th in terms of factors I'd look at when organizing leagues.

1. Competitiveness
2. Travel
3. Culture
4. History
5. Enrollment Figures

bcw

And again, Changing leagues is a big deal. That's especially so when you're creating an entirely new league or blowing up a current one. There's always tweaks that make sense, but much of that can be reactive to a "snapshot in time".

There's a lot of talk about Alder "needing to move on" due to being the best school in the league. Alder is certainly the marquee athletic program in the league and will likely remain at or near the top in the future, but will people still feel that way if they don't win the league in football for the next few years?

Again, the leagues are plenty appropriate as constructed. This is a time of peace in regards to leagues........

nwwarrior09

Enrollment numbers are overrated to me. I put it 4th or 5th in terms of factors I'd look at when organizing leagues.

1. Competitiveness
2. Travel
3. Culture
4. History
5. Enrollment Figures
This actually makes a very compelling case for what ghsknightsfan has been hinting at what he thinks should happen re: Clark county schools. Particularly if you look at total athletic department strength and not just football and basketball, it makes a lot of sense for Northwestern, Greenon, Kenton Ridge, Shawnee and Tecumseh to be in the same league or division within a league. You could make some argument for Northeastern as well, but i'd lean towards not including them. Prior to 2001 those six made up 75% of the CBC for a decade. The only other schools that had participated in the league prior to divisional expansion were Bellefontaine, Urbana and London.

The trend lately has been away from divisions and towards smaller leagues. Those five plus a few others of similar size/competitiveness in neighboring counties would make the Clark county equivalent of the Miami county centric TRC that starts in the fall.

I could see that happening sometime down the road, but probably not for at least another 10 years at this point.

Last edited:

LELL

This actually makes a very compelling case for what ghsknightsfan has been hinting at what he thinks should happen re: Clark county schools. Particularly if you look at total athletic department strength and not just football and basketball, it makes a lot of sense for Northwestern, Greenon, Kenton Ridge, Shawnee and Tecumseh to be in the same league or division within a league. You could make some argument for Northeastern as well, but i'd lean towards not including them. Prior to 2001 those six made up 75% of the CBC for a decade. The only other schools that had participated in the league prior to divisional expansion were Bellefontaine, Urbana and London.

The trend lately has been away from divisions and towards smaller leagues. Those five plus a few others of similar size/competitiveness in neighboring counties would make the Clark county equivalent of the Miami county centric TRC that starts in the fall.

I could see that happening sometime down the road, but probably not for at least another 10 years at this point.
Basically what you're saying is Greenon wants/should go to the CBC?