CBC 2021. (Central Buckeye Conference)

The CBC isn't entirely aligned by enrollment at the moment. Shawnee has dipped to 8th in the league in enrollment, but by competitiveness they are where they belong. By the current numbers Graham is averaging about 15 more kids per class and Urbana is around 6-7 more kids per class than them.

When the current divisional format of the CBC began in 2001 Shawnee was one of the 3-4 largest schools and they were a large D3 in football when football still had six divisions. For 1-2 cycles in the mid-2000s they crept up to D2 and were larger than everyone except Tecumseh. Indian Lake was D3 and in the Kenton Trail until the first realignment in 2006-07 when Miami East left. Today they're the second smallest school in the league. In the early years in the divisional format, the 2-3 smallest schools, which at the time included Kenton Ridge, were D4 with everyone else being D3 and Tecumseh D2. The numbers don't lie. The majority of this league has shrunk substantially over the last 15-20 years, and between dwindling size and/or the current level they compete at, the bottom of this league blends into the largest schools in the OHC at this point.

I'm not in any hurry to blow everything up, but between declining enrollments with most of these communities aging demographically, school budgets getting tighter (and for many, they'll continue to get even tighter as their taxbase continues to shrink and age), and the playoff expansion in football it makes a lot of sense to be evaluating the possibility of reverting back to being more geography based for leagues over the coming years. I think we probably get through the rest of this decade, but in about 10 years or so I wouldn't be surprised if 1-2 moves end up causing a massive domino effect of movement.

Enrollment numbers are overrated to me. I put it 4th or 5th in terms of factors I'd look at when organizing leagues.

1. Competitiveness
2. Travel
3. Culture
4. History
5. Enrollment Figures

And again, Changing leagues is a big deal. That's especially so when you're creating an entirely new league or blowing up a current one. There's always tweaks that make sense, but much of that can be reactive to a "snapshot in time".

There's a lot of talk about Alder "needing to move on" due to being the best school in the league. Alder is certainly the marquee athletic program in the league and will likely remain at or near the top in the future, but will people still feel that way if they don't win the league in football for the next few years?

Again, the leagues are plenty appropriate as constructed. This is a time of peace in regards to leagues........

Enrollment numbers are overrated to me. I put it 4th or 5th in terms of factors I'd look at when organizing leagues.

1. Competitiveness
2. Travel
3. Culture
4. History
5. Enrollment Figures

This actually makes a very compelling case for what ghsknightsfan has been hinting at what he thinks should happen re: Clark county schools. Particularly if you look at total athletic department strength and not just football and basketball, it makes a lot of sense for Northwestern, Greenon, Kenton Ridge, Shawnee and Tecumseh to be in the same league or division within a league. You could make some argument for Northeastern as well, but i'd lean towards not including them. Prior to 2001 those six made up 75% of the CBC for a decade. The only other schools that had participated in the league prior to divisional expansion were Bellefontaine, Urbana and London.

The trend lately has been away from divisions and towards smaller leagues. Those five plus a few others of similar size/competitiveness in neighboring counties would make the Clark county equivalent of the Miami county centric TRC that starts in the fall.

I could see that happening sometime down the road, but probably not for at least another 10 years at this point.

Last edited:
This actually makes a very compelling case for what ghsknightsfan has been hinting at what he thinks should happen re: Clark county schools. Particularly if you look at total athletic department strength and not just football and basketball, it makes a lot of sense for Northwestern, Greenon, Kenton Ridge, Shawnee and Tecumseh to be in the same league or division within a league. You could make some argument for Northeastern as well, but i'd lean towards not including them. Prior to 2001 those six made up 75% of the CBC for a decade. The only other schools that had participated in the league prior to divisional expansion were Bellefontaine, Urbana and London.

The trend lately has been away from divisions and towards smaller leagues. Those five plus a few others of similar size/competitiveness in neighboring counties would make the Clark county equivalent of the Miami county centric TRC that starts in the fall.

I could see that happening sometime down the road, but probably not for at least another 10 years at this point.
Basically what you're saying is Greenon wants/should go to the CBC?

Basically what you're saying is Greenon wants/should go to the CBC?

I can't speak for them, but I think as an outsider the OHC move was great at the time for football and basketball for them. Football especially, with what they had entering high school at the time it let them quickly rebuild their football program.

The longer time goes on, IMO, it will prove to be a very bad move for a lot of their non-revenue sports such as boys' soccer. There are too many schools in the league that are either too small or that have poor demographics for their size to be very competitive in the travel ball/country club type sports. In the last three years they have one loss and one tie in boys' soccer in league play.

For as bad as they were in football and basketball their last handful of years in the CBC, they were still finishing 3rd or 4th in their division in the all-sports standings those years. Those sports that picked up the slack such as boys' soccer will dominate in the OHC, especially the south division schools.

I can't speak for them, but I think as an outsider the OHC move was great at the time for football and basketball for them. Football especially, with what they had entering high school at the time it let them quickly rebuild their football program.

The longer time goes on, IMO, it will prove to be a very bad move for a lot of their non-revenue sports such as boys' soccer. There are too many schools in the league that are either too small or that have poor demographics for their size to be very competitive in the travel ball/country club type sports. In the last three years they have one loss and one tie in boys' soccer in league play.

For as bad as they were in football and basketball their last handful of years in the CBC, they were still finishing 3rd or 4th in their division in the all-sports standings those years. Those sports that picked up the slack such as boys' soccer will dominate in the OHC, especially the south division schools.
It wasn't long ago, Catholic Central dominated soccer. Things go in cycles and it seems like some want to always be on top and never be on the bottom. It doesn't work that way. Look at the MAC over the years. Bottom dwellers who are now State Champions. You have to go through it all to reap the success is all that I am saying.

I agree that the 5 Clark County schools should have stayed together. However, 5 teams isn't enough for a league and once you start pulling in others, it gets convoluted. There's also the issue of Greenon struggling in Football and Boys Basketball for a long time.

I agree that the 5 Clark County schools should have stayed together. However, 5 teams isn't enough for a league and once you start pulling in others, it gets convoluted. There's also the issue of Greenon struggling in Football and Boys Basketball for a long time.

Much like Northwestern, IMO more often than not they'd have struggles in those sports regardless of what league they're in. For both they may lack the types of athletes needed to excel in those sports on a consistent basis (short of excellent coaching and an established program), but they have the athletes to excel in other sports regularly.

For as bad as Greenon's football program has been for decades they probably have 20 or so league titles in soccer along with a lot of success in cross country and the distance events in track. Those are the kids they regularly have and that's the ingrained culture there.

I'm getting winded on the league realignment talk, but if they ever pushed that IMO there's definitely a pair of CBC schools in a neighboring county that would jump all over that as teams 6 and 7 if wanted. I don't think they'd have many issues in getting from 5 to 8.

Last edited:
Weird to see a Greenon fan push to separate Urbana from the Clark County schools, seeing as Greenon is the one who left the CBC. Urbana has a 40+ year history with the Clark County CBC schools. When Greenon bailed and created uncertainty in the CBC, Urbana cast its lot with the other Clark County schools and fought to keep the conference together. I'm guessing those schools have a much longer memory than some of the posters on here.

Weird to see a Greenon fan push to separate Urbana from the Clark County schools, seeing as Greenon is the one who left the CBC. Urbana has a 40+ year history with the Clark County CBC schools. When Greenon bailed and created uncertainty in the CBC, Urbana cast its lot with the other Clark County schools and fought to keep the conference together. I'm guessing those schools have a much longer memory than some of the posters on here.
Greenon had every reason to leave, and absolutely no one can blame for that. the athletics program was just not good. they made the right move at the time to the OHC and started to build the program back up. Greenon has nothing against anyone in the CBC. it’s a good league.

Greenon had every reason to leave, and absolutely no one can blame for that. the athletics program was just not good. they made the right move at the time to the OHC and started to build the program back up. Greenon has nothing against anyone in the CBC. it’s a good league.

They made the right move at the time for themselves. That's fine, but it's odd to see them a few years later trying to get the band back together. Greenon will be just fine in the OHC for years to come.

Graham's (now former) football coach is from West Jeff, and I believe this year he wasn't actually in the building at Graham and taught at Mechanicsburg. The extra travel is a huge labor, and with all the talent they're graduating this doesn't seem too surprising to me.

The basketball coach they previously lost was from Madison-Plains. Those both were circumstantial losses for them.

A blow to Graham as Shane Cahill was named head coach at Madison Plains.

A huge hire for Madison Plains. MP has always had a decent amount of athletes, a culture change was what was needed. They're about to get that.

EDIT: Forgot for a second I was on the CBC thread.

A huge blow for Graham. Cahill had the program going 100% in the right direction. They really can't afford to swing and miss on the next hire.

going to be tough for Graham to get a good coach this late in the off-season.
How so? Dublin Jerome is still in the process of replacing there coach. They have narrowed down the list to 12 coaches.

There are plenty of coach's out there looking for greener pastures or a new opportunity. This is February, different story if he left over the summer.

How so? Dublin Jerome is still in the process of replacing there coach. They have narrowed down the list to 12 coaches.

There are plenty of coach's out there looking for greener pastures or a new opportunity. This is February, different story if he left over the summer.
usually schools will post the position in november and have a hire by mid december. that’s a normal timeline. february is considered late. Jerome is a bigger school, it’s more sought out. Graham is a D4 that’s not exactly a coaching destination. it will be interesting to see who applies, who knows, they may get a good one of may not

Will be an interesting hire to keep an eye on moving forward. I do not know who Cahill had calling the plays in his time or if Cahill himself called plays. However, offensively the Falcons were fun to watch avg around 33 ppg with the P.O.Y playing QB. Whoever gets the nod, there will be some senior production lost to make up for.

Will be an interesting hire to keep an eye on moving forward. I do not know who Cahill had calling the plays in his time or if Cahill himself called plays. However, offensively the Falcons were fun to watch avg around 33 ppg with the P.O.Y playing QB. Whoever gets the nod, there will be some senior production lost to make up for.
Cahill had Cale Burdyshaw call the offense. Burdyshaw is a terrific football coach and really got a lot out of the offensive players. The team was very senior dominant. Next year, Graham must replace almost all of the offense and defense. So whoever they hire, they will have their work cut out for them.

Thats a big loss for Graham. I saw a few of their games over the last 3 years, and he had them playing better than I remember for the better part of a decade. And coming from Burg, he saw good coaching and came from a winning culture.
THey need to get the right guy in there. Other than NU, the CBC MR division is ripe for the taking if any school could step up and claim it. THe right guy could have them competing for titles with NU every year.