CBC 2021. (Central Buckeye Conference)

Gamma Gobbler

Romero is of course great. i know Greenon has had some qualifiers- i think my point was more geared toward programs as a whole. Mechanicsburg is an exception. many schools aren’t as successful in both football and wrestling
I will agree in part but I feel when the CBC was as its best, the kids that wrestled and played football were more competitive in the conference and on the state stage versus basketball. I would guess that those teams were in the early/mid 2000s when Tipp, Greenon, Shawnee, Indian Lake, Ben Logan, Bellefontaine, Urbana, Northwestern, Tecumseh provided some epic battles on the field and the mat. My personal belief is a strong wrestling (and track) program equates to a stronger football program than what basketball contributes.

ghsknightsfan

I will agree in part but I feel when the CBC was as its best, the kids that wrestled and played football were more competitive in the conference and on the state stage versus basketball. I would guess that those teams were in the early/mid 2000s when Tipp, Greenon, Shawnee, Indian Lake, Ben Logan, Bellefontaine, Urbana, Northwestern, Tecumseh provided some epic battles on the field and the mat. My personal belief is a strong wrestling (and track) program equates to a stronger football program than what basketball contributes.
i think that strong athletic programs altogether correlate to eachother. it’s a culture thing. that’s why at a lot of schools (Jonathan Alder, West Liberty Salem, Greenon as of late, and a few others) have a lot of successful teams across the board. and sometimes it depends on the classes coming up (athletes as well as parents). some schools have great runs across the board when they have good classes coming through.

but at some schools (like Burg) the football and wrestling programs are linked together very closely and share athletes, and as we know, Burg wrestling and track are both first class

nwwarrior09

Looking around at the OHC and the CBC I don't think there are too many football kids that could legitimately compete in either basketball and wrestling. Athletically, the overwhelming majority of kids usually seem to have either a basketball body or a wrestling body, and they usually seem to find where they belong.

To the point above, probably 90+% of D1 football scholarship players compete and usually excel in multiple sports, whether it's basketball or wrestling in the winter and track in the spring. If you're football only, the odds are very high that you're not a scholarship player.

Gamma Gobbler

Looking around at the OHC and the CBC I don't think there are too many football kids that could legitimately compete in either basketball and wrestling. Athletically, the overwhelming majority of kids usually seem to have either a basketball body or a wrestling body, and they usually seem to find where they belong.

To the point above, probably 90+% of D1 football scholarship players compete and usually excel in multiple sports, whether it's basketball or wrestling in the winter and track in the spring. If you're football only, the odds are very high that you're not a scholarship player.
what ever happened to Jeb Pencil?... I watched him beating, by fall, Coby Boyd, Graham (2007 State Champ), at the CBC wrestling tourney in 07. He was a stud football player too. When I think of toughness and never quit, its those Pencil kids that come to mind.

nwwarrior09

what ever happened to Jeb Pencil?... I watched him beating, by fall, Coby Boyd, Graham (2007 State Champ), at the CBC wrestling tourney in 07. He was a stud football player too. When I think of toughness and never quit, its those Pencil kids that come to mind.
I'm pretty sure he's a bison farmer now. I think he played football for a year or two at Wittenberg and saw a little bit of varsity action.

HSSR091721

Whats the deal with Graham, any inside info on who they are looking at? I heard a Graham native, Austin Morgan might be up for the job. Any truth to this rumor?

hevayweights123

I'm not sure what the current coaches policy is but I heard through the grapevine that Jordan required such a large commitment from his wrestlers that they didn't have time for anything else. He got results though.
There is no rule about wrestlers not allowed to play football Trace Braun who just placed 4th in the State in wrestling and Nolan Neves who placed 3rd at heavyweight both played this past season

Austin Morgan? Did he play at Graham? College Ball? I've never heard of him.
2011 grad potentially? Has been on staff with Geron Stokes at Minster (former) the past seasons. I do not know what role he played while there. Young coach with great enthusiasm. Could be a great fit....the falcons need a long term solution at HC to have any sustained success within the football program vs the competition with wrestling. Any idea on when interviews begin?

BlackAttack

Brett Glass @ Alder officially resigned last evening to become the HC @ Dublin Jerome.

I don't get the feeling that anyone on the staff will apply, I could be wrong but that's my gut feeling. I think that's a big deal, since they have promoted within since Jenne left in the 90's. The last 4 coach's, Baird, Blackstone, Coate & Glass were all on the staff when they were promoted to HC. Outside of Baird, who was HC for 2 years, this has been a formula that has worked for the last couple of decades. Each one had there own unique style but they did keep most of the traditions and formula for success in place.

I do think this opening will garner quite a bit of interest. Hoping they can get someone in place before the workouts start in June.

justalurker

Interesting move for Glass. Any reason he left JA for Jerome? Seems like he had things rolling at JA, and was set up for success in the league and beyond quite nicely.

Shouldn't be hard to get a lot of good coaches and looks for a place like JA. Nice facilities, great success and talent. Everything you need to walk in and be successful early. ONly thing that sucks is that it is late in the hiring process.

nwwarrior09

There will be a ton of external interest in that job, especially from smaller school coaches that would like to get closer to Columbus and OCC assistants trying to get a first head coaching job. I would imagine that Alder will have at least a handful of very good choices.

BlackAttack

Interesting move for Glass. Any reason he left JA for Jerome? Seems like he had things rolling at JA, and was set up for success in the league and beyond quite nicely.

Shouldn't be hard to get a lot of good coaches and looks for a place like JA. Nice facilities, great success and talent. Everything you need to walk in and be successful early. ONly thing that sucks is that it is late in the hiring process.
I think the obvious reason was the pay scale at Jerome is much higher than that of Alder. Good move for his future and his family. I'm sure it was a tough decision leaving his alma matter and his first HS coaching gig.

BlackAttack

There will be a ton of external interest in that job, especially from smaller school coaches that would like to get closer to Columbus and OCC assistants trying to get a first head coaching job. I would imagine that Alder will have at least a handful of very good choices.
I agree, Madison plains for example had 49 applications. I would assume this will garner bigger interest in comparison

ghsknightsfan

i would bet that the Alder job draws some real stud coaches. this is a very attractive job.

names to watch:
Nick Hajjar- North Union Head Coach
Shane Carter- Northwestern Head Coach (if he’s interested in moving towards Columbus)

are any OCC coaches alumni of Alder? they would make obvious candidates

BlackAttack

i would bet that the Alder job draws some real stud coaches. this is a very attractive job.

names to watch:
Nick Hajjar- North Union Head Coach
Shane Carter- Northwestern Head Coach (if he’s interested in moving towards Columbus)

are any OCC coaches alumni of Alder? they would make obvious candidates
I can't think of anyone else with Alder ties currently in the OCC

Previously mentioned is who I think will apply:

Joel Cutler ~ Bishop Ready
Kyle Cutler ~ London

Wild Card Pick: Donnie Nickey (Former Alder/OSU/Tenn. Titans). Recently moved back to Central Ohio, coached at the HS level after he retired. No source or information on this but it wouldn't surprise me to hear this name.

ghsknightsfan

I can't think of anyone else with Alder ties currently in the OCC

Previously mentioned is who I think will apply:

Joel Cutler ~ Bishop Ready
Kyle Cutler ~ London

Wild Card Pick: Donnie Nickey (Former Alder/OSU/Tenn. Titans). Recently moved back to Central Ohio, coached at the HS level after he retired. No source or information on this but it wouldn't surprise me to hear this name.
i think Joel Cutler will absolutely be a candidate. Kyle would probably only bolt if it was looking really bad at London the next few years

Alder had a player go on to OSU? that’s awesome.

BlackAttack

i think Joel Cutler will absolutely be a candidate. Kyle would probably only bolt if it was looking really bad at London the next few years

Alder had a player go on to OSU? that’s awesome.
Was on the National Championship team under Tressel. Started at safety that year.

Played 8 seasons with the Titans, primarily on special teams.