Ask the Ref?

AllSports12

A1 passes to A2. A2 catches the pass while airborne and throws it to the floor inbounds before landing out of bounds. A2 then comes back inbounds and is the first to touch the ball.

1) Is this an out of bounds violation? Does A2 need to establish two feet inbounds to be considered inbounds?
2) If not, did A2's throwing the ball to the floor count as beginning a dribble?
3) If it does count as beginning a dribble, if A2 touches the ball with two hands, dribble's over, right? Else if A2 bats the ball to the floor with one hand, he may continue dribbling, right?
1) A player is in bounds when he is not touching the floor, an object other than a player or person or an outside boundary. The best easiest way to describe a player in bounds is "something touching in, nothing touching out". There is n requirement for both feet, hands, knees, cheeks, ears... etc

2) Yes

3) Yes, one of the elements that defines the end of a dribble is when the dribbler (it already began) touches the ball simultaneously with both hands.

And Yes, he may in this situation bat the ball to the floor to continue the dribble he started by throwing the ball to the floor.

Talk some sense

1) A player is in bounds when he is not touching the floor, an object other than a player or person or an outside boundary. The best easiest way to describe a player in bounds is "something touching in, nothing touching out". There is n requirement for both feet, hands, knees, cheeks, ears... etc

2) Yes

3) Yes, one of the elements that defines the end of a dribble is when the dribbler (it already began) touches the ball simultaneously with both hands.

And Yes, he may in this situation bat the ball to the floor to continue the dribble he started by throwing the ball to the floor.
Love your answers always but this one was particularly concise and clear on an issue that most fans (at least the ones who tend to bellow at refs) have no idea about. Thanks.

oxat622

Is there an official hand signal for the violation when a free throw shooter's final shot does not touch the rim? I see officials do the finger twirl thing, but I don't believe that is official.

AllSports12

Is there an official hand signal for the violation when a free throw shooter's final shot does not touch the rim? I see officials do the finger twirl thing, but I don't believe that is official.
This is no official signal for this violation.

Some point, some circle the finger. Most, no matter what they signal, will verbalize that the ball did not hit the ring.

oxat622

A1 is in his frontcourt and has ended his dribble. He tosses the ball off the backboard and it is clearly not an attempt for a try. Is it legal if he:

1) Jumps in the air, catches the ball in flight and dunks/shoots before landing (T-Mac style)?
2) Catches the ball and begins a new dribble?

AllSports12

A1 is in his frontcourt and has ended his dribble. He tosses the ball off the backboard and it is clearly not an attempt for a try. Is it legal if he:

1) Jumps in the air, catches the ball in flight and dunks/shoots before landing (T-Mac style)?
2) Catches the ball and begins a new dribble?
1) Legal

2) This one has been debated among officials forever. The NFHS has done a poor job in interpreting this. By rule this is legal..... By popular interpretation this is legal..... However, there is a faction that claims you cannot start a new dribble..... The sticking point is whether or not a try is required.....

I wish the NFHS would publish a clear and concise interpretation on this.... Been wishing it for years.

oxat622

1) Legal

2) This one has been debated among officials forever. The NFHS has done a poor job in interpreting this. By rule this is legal..... By popular interpretation this is legal..... However, there is a faction that claims you cannot start a new dribble..... The sticking point is whether or not a try is required.....

I wish the NFHS would publish a clear and concise interpretation on this.... Been wishing it for years.
Thanks. I was working with a Class 1 official this weekend who said scenario 1 happened in one of his games and he called it a violation.

AllSports12

Thanks. I was working with a Class 1 official this weekend who said scenario 1 happened in one of his games and he called it a violation.
There's no debate on #1.

I believe the Case Book play that covers this is 4.15.4 Situation C (part C)

The waters get muddied in the ruling of (c) where it says... "once the ball is released on a try"....... (this is where it's unclear whether or not judgment is involved on whether or not a try occurred)

Remember, this only applies to A's backboard.

CasualFan24

In football, the officials are wearing masks and doing everything within their power to not touch the football. Have you heard what, if any, stipulations there will be for basketball officials this season? One would have to imagine if those things are required for an outdoor sport they would certainly be required for an indoor sport where the officials are generally closer to the action/players right?

AllSports12

As of right now, there are no changes to actual game rules.

All the other stuff in the "recommendations" from the government are pretty much the same as the fall sports recommendations.

AllSports12

In football, the officials are wearing masks and doing everything within their power to not touch the football. Have you heard what, if any, stipulations there will be for basketball officials this season? One would have to imagine if those things are required for an outdoor sport they would certainly be required for an indoor sport where the officials are generally closer to the action/players right?
The state's (DeWine) prohibition of the touching of the football is just about the silliest thing I've ever been a part of. Thankfully, as of this time, there is nothing like this recommended for basketball. They are recommending/allowing us to stand further away from a player on a throw-in and free throws, but those techniques are largely already implemented.

As of right now there are no changes to playing rules. (coin flip vs jump ball)