Mid-State League ‘22-23

GCC dominated the Port last night! Came out of the gate on fire, and Ransom got whatever he wanted at the rim. I really enjoyed seeing more ball movement last night and making Millersport guard. They struggled some inside with the big, but MP never got into a consistent offense.

This will never show up in the stats, but my MVP for the Eagles right now is Trent Timlin. How he guarded the best players from other teams last year and this year amazes me. He held Johnson to 8 last night and took 3 charges on him. Held Hartman to 9 a few weeks back. He does so many little things each night.
I had every intention of getting over there. Got caught up with the family. That is pretty cool to read about Trent. He's a good kid. I think you guys have two home games at the end of December? I will get to one of them.

On the girls’ side…

BU 34
FC 28

Real solid game to watch. FC had it notched down to 30-28 midway through the 4Q. Hats off to BU. Thoroughly enjoyed watching every minute of this one — both teams move the ball well, solid and intense defensive effort all in all. It’s a privilege to watch all of these girls play; they hustle, they play technical, very physical and both are really skilled. At any given time you’ll see at least 5 girls who’ll play sports in college (hoops, volleyball or softball) and it’s well worth coming out for.

Make some time to check out Round 2 at FC (Tuesday, 1/24) if the date works, or catch them on any night that you can for that matter. Both teams are Regional capable. In that same vein, again check out the Lady Warriors at HP. They’re also a really solid club.

HP beats Millersport 77-40. IMO, Millersport played the best game against Harvest Prep compared to all the other MSL teams. 3 and 1 are solid ball handlers and 0 is a force in the paint. Like all other teams against Harvest Prep, turnovers killed them, letting the game go from a 9 point to 20 point game in 1 minute. Harvest Prep looked solid in the win, making open shots and scoring easily in transition. HPS plays Westerville South on Tuesday in a matchup that gives us a great indicator on how far the team will go.

If BR can bring 2 or 3 subs in without getting dominated, I could see a close, exciting matchup against HPS

HPS-15, 24,40,62
Westerville South-16,33,53,65
The game was one of the more interesting games Harvest Prep has played in awhile. Harvest Prep did not played their best, as they could not hit their shots, too many turnovers, and played bad defense. However, they did just enough to keep it within 15. Then with just about 5 minutes left, down 15 points, Harvest Prep exploded. Nyalle Shaheed, who had 20 points, led the way as they cut the score all the way to 3. Sadly, the effort fell just short, falling to Westerville South. Overall, the team played well but they could not hit shots for the first 28 minutes. If the team had their normal, or even slightly below average shooting day, they probably would have won.

Last edited:
HPS-15, 24,40,62
Westerville South-16,33,53,65
The game was one of the more interesting games Harvest Prep has played in awhile. Harvest Prep did not played their best, as they could not hit their shots, too many turnovers, and played bad defense. However, they did just enough to keep it within 15. Then with just about 5 minutes left, down 15 points, Harvest Prep exploded. Nyalle Shaheed, who had 20 points, led the way as they cut the score all the way to 3. Sadly, the effort fell just short, falling to Westerville South. Overall, the team played well but they could not hit shots for the first 28 minutes. If the team had their normal, or even slightly below average shooting day, they probably would have won.
Iron sharpens iron.

There’s a comment on a different thread within the boys hoops’ forum discussing the Mansfield/Toledo Scott game to be played at The Cave.

One of the most entertaining basketball rivalries will be renewed Tuesday, Dec. 27, when Mansfield Senior (4-1) faces Toledo Scott (4-3) in a holiday tourney at Harvest Preparatory School in Columbus.

According to crawfordcountybasketball.com, the Tygers hold a 9-5 lead in the series.

In the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, Scott, under Hall of Fame coach Ben Williams, was a perennial state power and their fast-paced, up-and-down games with the Tygers always featured tremendous athletes.

The most memorable game occurred in 1985, when the Joe Prats-coached Tygers demolished the heavily favored Bulldogs, 89-72, in the regional finals at BGSU’s old Anderson Arena.

A 5-5 team in mid-January, the 1984-1985 Tygers finished the regular season 13-7, before catching fire at tournament time, squeaking out wins over Fremont Ross, Ashland, Defiance, Port Clinton and Groveport Madison by a total of 18 points before dismantling Scott.

They posted a 65-55 win over North Canton Hoover in the state semifinals and lost to Cincinnati Purcell Marian in the Class AAA championship game, 65-57.

That magical 1984-1985 season is captured in an outstanding documentary, “TY for Tygers : A Story of Life, Community & Basketball,” researched and produced by Effie James, a former Senior High football and basketball star who played at Bowling Green and later was MSH’s basketball coach.

Check it out on Youtube.
Very cool for this to take place, either by design or coincidence. I get shivers reading about Toledo City basketball from previous eras. Scott’s still standing, yes, but Jim Jackson’s Macomber and William Buford’s Libbey are not. Those guys probably had plenty of fun on the court back then, packed gyms and all. Really it’s probably the most illustrious ‘City’ Basketball Ohio has had — I can take Columbus as a rival to that tradition from the East side standing-room-only cage matches between E(ast) High and Walnut Ridge during the Cold War, to the fantastic guys who came through the 90’s/early 00’s, to the dudes and great dynasties of the late 00’s through 2010’s.

It’s a good win for Northside. I expect a Round 2 in the tournament.
May not happen in tourney- Central District gets 2 to regionals this year and Northside and Newark Catholic probably be seated high enough to be in separate brackets. I would expect them to be the top 2 seeds and definitely top 4 seeds at worse.

Huge margin of victory for FCA tonight. They that much better than FC or were there other factors involved (guys out, etc.)? I’m having trouble making sense of some of these scores (Millersport beat FCA by double digits I think and GCC pounded MP). Is the desparity that much or just weird things happening?

Huge margin of victory for FCA tonight. They that much better than FC or were there other factors involved (guys out, etc.)? I’m having trouble making sense of some of these scores (Millersport beat FCA by double digits I think and GCC pounded MP). Is the desparity that much or just weird things happening?
Honor your opponent; hats off to FCA.

I’m having trouble making sense of some of these scores (Millersport beat FCA by double digits I think and GCC pounded MP). Is the desparity that much or just weird things happening?
50-75% of it is matchups, the bulk of the balance is shooting and anything else is a few possession wins both sides of the court lighting a surge.

I wasn’t at the game tonight (left to go to NoVA for Christmas.) I did hear the big guy for FCA had 17 but I don’t have really any other details on that one.

I was at the FCA/Millersport game. It was pretty closely contested. FCA led after three but Port ran off something like an 11-3 run (left my book at home) through the first 5:30 of the 4Q. Port shot pretty decent from beyond the arc; the older Johnston brother, Trey, hit about four 38’ three balls from the same spot at different points in the game and that really buoyed the Lakers. His younger brother had a couple buckets off the bench. In that one I thought FCA’s guards played pretty good D but MP really tightened up on ‘D’ and the big Levacy played a great game on D in the second half.

Port/FCA could be a district semi Round 3 if both are shy of Northside. Not sure about GCC/FCA game. I did see the soph Harris wasn’t listed in the box score as having any minutes… injury?

I didn’t get to catch the game, as I was out of town, but I heard it was an excellent game. This years team is the best it has been in years, not at the level of the 2010-2011 team, but a district title is certainly in reach.

I didn’t get to catch the game, as I was out of town, but I heard it was an excellent game. This years team is the best it has been in years, not at the level of the 2010-2011 team, but a district title is certainly in reach.
Shicole Watts was bar-none the best to ever touch a basketball on the girls’ side in the 30 year history of the Cardinal Division.

Harvest Prep’s 2nd annual Hoops Fest is happening today. Harvest Prep is playing Chaminade Julienne and Michigan commit George Washington III at 8:30.

FCA’s up on Northside through 3 quarters.

FCA 52 Northside 42 fin

Wow! I wonder if FCA did their normal defense or packed in a 2-3 zone and hoped for Northside to miss their shots (that’s worked in the past for teams). Or maybe 2-3 is their normal defense and they were just the perfect matchup.

Wow! I wonder if FCA did their normal defense or packed in a 2-3 zone and hoped for Northside to miss their shots (that’s worked in the past for teams). Or maybe 2-3 is their normal defense and they were just the perfect matchup.
They were primarily man vs us last Thursday, supposedly.

Final
Harvest Prep-12,26,40,51
Cincinnati Woodward-22,35,43,62

Harvest Prep, now sitting at 6-5, struggled to find consistency throughout the game. Big men Nyalle and Khalil were their only offensive weapons for most of the game, as HPS struggled from downtown. Defense struggled to handle the athleticism of Cincinnati Woodward, especially their #2. Harvest Prep has played a tough schedule and has competed in every game. When they figure out how to play a complete game, they will be a dangerous D3 team.

Last edited:
They packed a 2-3 zone for the most part. Did a great job of frustrating the big. Offensively they moved well and were patient finding open shots. Hats off to FCA. They did a great job.