Worst Mascots in Ohio

I'm confused how can you be more gender inclusive than men and women?
We know. But you're new so we'll let you find the Debate Board on your own. We don't want later to be accused of your future divorce, kids start hating you for neglect because you're always posting, beer gut....:D As an aside to that, the Queen of England was the Lord of Mann. Lords and Ladies is not by definition gender specific, which we both know is not the real issue here.

Nothing wrong with Owls.

We know. But you're new so we'll let you find the Debate Board on your own. We don't want later to be accused of your future divorce, kids start hating you for neglect because you're always posting, beer gut....:D As an aside to that, the Queen of England was the Lord of Mann. Lords and Ladies is not by definition gender specific, which we both know is not the real issue here.

Nothing wrong with Owls.
Hah, happily married for 23 years, with three great kids in their teens.

But if calling me names, or trying to put a label on me makes you feel good about yourself, go right ahead.

Personally, I like the Olentangy district's rebranding. They're all modern and unique. Their school colors are displayed well.
I’ve been cynical toward it, from the beginning, because it felt like they had difficulty coming up with the original Berlin logo design and they just decided to cut bait on the monograms for the other three schools since Berlin’s colors were REALLY difficult to make a good one out of. So, it seemed like a rather forced attempt at getting everyone together in lockstep for Berlin’s sake.

I like Olentangy HS’s rebrand. Liberty — I used to work at Liberty and if you know the area where the school is then you’d understand how the school got its name. The Statue of Liberty in the logo, like, on the one hand it seems overkill but even more egregious is they’re the Patriots: like, it’s just two greatly dignified individual concepts that got weirdly forced together in the interest of a graphic design project.

The one I have the biggest displeasure with, although this is ironically more of a temporary dislike, is Orange’s. When Orange was built, and up to the rebrand, their branding as Pioneers was likened pretty heavily to Daniel Boone and/or Lewis & Clark. It was a cool concept. So, the pivot to space exploration just… I get the argument how that is also “pioneering”, but again it just seems forced and something ‘new’ they landed on as part of the sweeping rebrand. I do however think that particular branding will age well and be enjoyed by kids in generations to come. I just think it nakedly sticks out as “trying to do too much at once.”

That gives you this gem:

504.png
OMG...lol

Shadyside used to be Casketmakers. They changed to the cliched Tigers.

Schools that now make up Buckeye Local had some unique names. They included:

Dillonvale Night Riders
Adena Golden Wave
Mount Pleasant Mounties
Yorkville Ductilites
Warren Consolidated Ramblers

Browns and Buckeyes are both pretty horrible team names/mascots.

As for high schools, I’ll go with the Oak Hills Highlanders. No one’s ever been afraid of a dude wearing a kilt except maybe Rowdy Roddy Piper. Maybe they’re supposed to confuse their opponents into submission from not being able to understand a thick Scottish accent.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
Seriously? You have never seen the movie Highlander? Braveheart? You should get out more.

Don't know if still exists but East Canton Hornets were boys and East Canton girls Wizards. Maybe because the school district is Osnaburg Local?
Yes. Back in the 70s when girls' basketball was just getting started across Ohio the East Canton girls were very successful and a writer from the Canton Repository dubbed them "The Wizards from Osnaburg Township" and the name stuck.

HS- Dickinson (ND) Midgets (They’re now called the mustangs I think)

College- Johnstown Jimmies (ND)

South Dakota Mines Hardrockers!!!
I remember Dickinson. There was a viral post on the best high school mascots by state, and their logo was inscribed within the outline of ND.

1666746225762.gif

It actually looks way better when its compressed into the state outline.

Washington is the Presidents. I'm not sure how that was shortened to Prexies. The college Washington and Jefferson is also Presidents.
Washington HS was also nicknamed the Presidents or "Little Presidents" as the college was the Washington & Jefferson Presidents. Back when nicknames were truly just that and unofficial, the HS was just the little version of the college team.

Prexies is actually just a nickname for Presidents. You can find it used in other instances. Not much different than Browns becoming Brownies. Prezzies, Prexies, etc. The linguistics just change with time.

There was quite a few times when I was younger and Washington HS would be referred to as the Little Prexies. But at some point the 'Little' was just stopped being used.

In a round about way, the Aliquippa Quips took their name in a similar fashion. Formerly the Aliquippa Indians, they were called the Quips by fans and enemies alike. And then, some time, the nickname just became the Quips. Even researching it, I can't find what year, if any, the school officially recognized the Quips name as their name. It just is today.

In a round about way, the Aliquippa Quips took their name in a similar fashion. Formerly the Aliquippa Indians, they were called the Quips by fans and enemies alike. And then, some time, the nickname just became the Quips. Even researching it, I can't find what year, if any, the school officially recognized the Quips name as their name. It just is today.

This is like how people call Gonzaga the Zags. They are the Bulldogs.

This is like how people call Gonzaga the Zags. They are the Bulldogs.
Exactly. And how a lot of the "Johnstown Johnnies", "Thompson Tommies" "Philadelphia Phillies", etc get their name.

it's just that now nicknames are official. So, as much as fans call them the Zags, that will basically never have a chance of becoming official.

in PA, Slippery Rock doesn't really have a nickname like most do. They're "The Rock", and their mascot is Rocky. But they don't have a word that goes at the end of their name. If anything, they're similar to the Stanford Cardinal. But not quite. They're just Slippery Rock or The Rock.

There is too many Wildcats in the state, I like our nickname, the Tomcats.

Thiel College is also has that nickname.

Thiel has an interesting history. The sports teams started as the Huskies. But, in 1924 was referred to as playing like Wild Cats. And Wildcats became the nickname. The Record-Argus reporter then called them "Tom's Cats", for Dr. Thomas Holleran, who was their coach. And the name Tomcats just became the name ever sense. Funny that it didn't actually reference Tomcat in the specific term.

I would like to nominate my, now defunct, high school as worst mascot…the Midpark Meteors.

The good news was we had really good colors, Orange and Brown. 🤮

No tshirts sweatshirts uniforms or logo could save this terrible combination.

Side note: They filmed the Jeffrey Dahmer movie there so we got that going for us

I would like to nominate my, now defunct, high school as worst mascot…the Midpark Meteors.

Side note: They filmed the Jeffrey Dahmer movie there so we got that going for us
I'm adding that to my memory bank, lol. Are you talking about the just released "Dahmer" series on Netflix?

Also, you are now part of the "Remember the Titans" era of coming together.

Lorain Titans
Berea-Midpark Titans

Nothing cliche there