Week 6: Elder

REload must have gone into his bunker hiding for awhile?? Anyway good luck to X the rest of the season. I hope you can get things worked out and make a run in the playoffs.

Great atmosphere last night at the pit. Always a lot of good give and take between Elder and X. Two great schools, fanbases, and programs.
ReLoad is in Belichek mode, he's moved on to Trinity. Putting this one in the rearview.

Tough break for McClatchey. Also, Pboy said it on the Elder thread, but Herbstreit looks like a heckuva player. He's going to do good things for the Bombers over the next few years.

How will X handle the QB position the rest of the season? X OL didn’t play well at all. I know Elder front 7 pretty stellar but they couldn’t even gain a foot or less before the Half.

How will X handle the QB position the rest of the season? X OL didn’t play well at all. I know Elder front 7 pretty stellar but they couldn’t even gain a foot or less before the Half.
Have to assume Chase is getting the keys moving forward

Don't know what's been most disappointing this year, the play of the o-line, the front 6 on d, the punting, or the coaching.
I’ll rank them with a slight modification to one of your categories
1. Coachability of the players
2. Punt Team
3. The front 6 on D (particularly the down linemen)
4. The O-Line

I think it's a shame that your HC emphasized player mistakes in the post game interview. Having seen a majority of the Bombers games I would point the finger at the HC, OC and DC. Special teams are not that impressive as well. It would seem to me that the entire coaching staff would have made the necessary adjustments coming out of week one to at least cut down on the number of fixable errors and coach the kids up for crying out loud. GBM
Thank you Mrs. Clueless

I agree. I mentioned a couple weeks ago things didn't seem right and that changes could be coming. I think it's the right move, but also wasn't a fan of how he called it out in the interview. But I think it's necessary. It will be tough to right the ship this year, but will pay dividends down the line.
Thank you cousin clueless = Trey

He could have phrased it better, and remember he was asked specifically about the QB switch.
Specht doesn’t care what people think or say about him.
Especially us yappi idiots
He has plenty of detractors both inside and outside of StX
I like him for an infinite number of reasons, but staying on topic, the fact that he speaks his mind and doesn’t sugarcoat things

The coaching in all facets has been poor this season, with two wins left on the table, and huge flops following each.
He publicly took responsibility for the week 2 loss at Loyola: “I’ll own this one. We weren’t ready to play”. He blamed himself, and he could have blamed a lot of things….

The unexpected death of one of his best friends and OLine coach
The distractions/logistics/time of taking 300+ players to Chicago?
The lack of player experience following the graduation of 19 of 22 starters from last season?

He’s letting the players own the loss at Elder.
He and his staff have done everything in their power since the week 2 loss to coach up the players that have been in the starting roles in that time.

He’s tired of seeing repeated mistakes - coaching is either falling on deaf ears or players just flat out refuse to carry out assignments.

Time to evaluate each and every position and if a sophomore or even a freshman is the best choice then so be it.

If it continues, I'd expect coordinator changes in the off-season, I can't see Specht being that tolerant. Reminds me of the 2018 season, which I think may have been the last year Specht was the OC. If he's the ST coordinator this year maybe it's a sign that he can't handle juggling both.
Fire Coverdale and/or Brodbeck? He loves both hires.
The Coverdale hire was the best off season StX football event in 18 years when they hired Specht in 2004

Perhaps more than just ReLoad over-estimated the talent on this team..
In pre-season I called it what it was - a lack of playing experience since 19 of last year’s 22 starters were seniors, most of whom were 2 year starters.

They have talent, or else they wouldn’t have had a chance to beat both Moeller and Lakota West (at the end) or running clocked a Penn team that is 4-2 and was ahead of Cathedral at the half.

I think you are putting too much on the coaching. The 2020 team had several all-decade seniors and a very strong junior class. The 2021 team had that class as seniors but they were not deep. Any injury subs struggled. This senior class has very little playing experience and seems to be missing a couple game changers. Pretty sure Specht can still win if he has OL pancakes, DL absorbing double teams, and skilled players faster than the other team.
We have a winner.
Fed ex this poster a honey baked ham

Players have to execute at the end of it all. You can have world class coaching but if players aren't executing its a wrap.

So it sounds like it's a development issue. Like with last years seniors when they were demolishing teams why were other guys not getting reps until the last possible minutes? Even this year there have been opportunities to get back ups in to get some real work, but they would keep all the starters in. Did they starters need more work or what was the logic?
If there are any hams left send this guy one too.

Whether right or not Specht likes to defer to the upperclassmen, especially when they have waited 1 or 2 years at a chance to start like this year.

He has given many upperclassmen, who are talented, a chance all summer and now through the first 6 weeks and many are not “getting it”

Same thing happened after the seniors on the 2007 state championship team graduated.

The 2008 team only had 4 returning starters - Luke Kuechley (BC), Pat Muldoon (Wisconsin), Luke Massa (Notre Dame) and Ian Cummins.

They finished 4-6 and missed the playoffs.

Thank you cousin clueless = Trey
I have mad respect for Specht, but I've never heard him talk like that after a game. I just agreed it was odd he brought that to the press. He wasn't wrong, it was just surprising. I was just agreeing that it was odd for him, but it wasn't a big deal. He will do what he has to do.

Players have to execute at the end of it all. You can have world class coaching but if players aren't executing its a wrap.

So it sounds like it's a development issue. Like with last years seniors when they were demolishing teams why were other guys not getting reps until the last possible minutes? Even this year there have been opportunities to get back ups in to get some real work, but they would keep all the starters in. Did they starters need more work or what was the logic?
There may some truth in this comment. X probably missed opportunities to develop top backups with a little more balanced practice, play, and instruction time. They work so hard to develop the 1's that the "next men up" may not get the attention they need. The gap between the last starter and the top backup continues to widen as the season wears on.

I don't think we should assume anything. More than just QB change has to take place for this team to get headed in the right direction.
Well the question was who is the qb moving forward. So while yes what you said is true, I'm fairly certain as in 99.98% sure that whatever they do will have Chase as qb1

I don't think we should assume anything. More than just QB change has to take place for this team to get headed in the right direction.
AMEN! I love when X is good because it's good for the GCL and high school football. X has more issues than just the QB position. I think O'Malley has done a good job. Has he made mistakes, yes but there isn't a starter out there that hasn't made mistakes. As an outsider who saw the X/Moeller game here is my take. O'Malley has no playmakers to help him. You put O'Malley as the QB 1 at Moeller and like with Dunn they are 6-0 and he's viewed as a good QB 1. Dunn just needs to manage the game and minimize his mistakes because he has playmakers. If O'Malley had playmakers you wouldn't be talking about replacing him. Herbstreit's name isn't going to win you football games! He's more inexperienced than O'Malley and won't have playmakers so why do you all think that he's the guy that is going to save your season? You have an inexperienced OL, no playmakers on offense, you can't stop the run consistently and your secondary is one of the worst I've seen in an X team. If you make a bunch of changes going into week 7 who's to say those players are going to be ready for the playoffs. Get through the regular season and get ready for the playoffs. Better seasons to come for the Bombers. GBM!

AMEN! I love when X is good because it's good for the GCL and high school football. X has more issues than just the QB position. I think O'Malley has done a good job. Has he made mistakes, yes but there isn't a starter out there that hasn't made mistakes. As an outsider who saw the X/Moeller game here is my take. O'Malley has no playmakers to help him. You put O'Malley as the QB 1 at Moeller and like with Dunn they are 6-0 and he's viewed as a good QB 1. Dunn just needs to manage the game and minimize his mistakes because he has playmakers. If O'Malley had playmakers you wouldn't be talking about replacing him. Herbstreit's name isn't going to win you football games! He's more inexperienced than O'Malley and won't have playmakers so why do you all think that he's the guy that is going to save your season? You have an inexperienced OL, no playmakers on offense, you can't stop the run consistently and your secondary is one of the worst I've seen in an X team. If you make a bunch of changes going into week 7 who's to say those players are going to be ready for the playoffs. Get through the regular season and get ready for the playoffs. Better seasons to come for the Bombers. GBM!
Except for the last sentence, I agree with nearly all of this. #82 at WR (Sharp?) has done a good job of being a "playmaker" in multiple games, and a couple of other guys have occasionally (e.g.-Nolan on a punt return for TD; DB [Houston?] for interception return vs. Loyola)-- but no one else has been consistent in that regard. O'Malley does not deserve to shoulder the lion's share of the blame for this team's record.

Specht doesn’t care what people think or say about him.
Especially us yappi idiots
He has plenty of detractors both inside and outside of StX
I like him for an infinite number of reasons, but staying on topic, the fact that he speaks his mind and doesn’t sugarcoat things

He publicly took responsibility for the week 2 loss at Loyola: “I’ll own this one. We weren’t ready to play”. He blamed himself, and he could have blamed a lot of things….

The unexpected death of one of his best friends and OLine coach
The distractions/logistics/time of taking 300+ players to Chicago?
The lack of player experience following the graduation of 19 of 22 starters from last season?

He’s letting the players own the loss at Elder.
He and his staff have done everything in their power since the week 2 loss to coach up the players that have been in the starting roles in that time.

He’s tired of seeing repeated mistakes - coaching is either falling on deaf ears or players just flat out refuse to carry out assignments.

Time to evaluate each and every position and if a sophomore or even a freshman is the best choice then so be it.

Fire Coverdale and/or Brodbeck? He loves both hires.
The Coverdale hire was the best off season StX football event in 18 years when they hired Specht in 2004
I know he loves Brodbeck, and in some respects I can give him the pass. Coverdale has had suspect play calling the past two years, and doesn't seem to be able to make the adjustment with different types of talent.

No one knows for certain, all 3rd hand accounts currently
We don't even know THAT he did-- it remains speculation, until we see who takes the field with the first team offense on Friday-- or Specht says something publicly.

We don't even know THAT he did-- it remains speculation, until we see who takes the field with the first team offense on Friday-- or Specht says something publicly.
You saying O’Malley removed himself from the Elder Game?