Week 6: Elder

ReLoad

The Bombers (2-3) board bullet proof buses next Friday afternoon to travel to Price Hill
to take on the Elder Panthers (4-1) in the famed “Pit” where they will be heavy underdogs.

This will be the 105th meeting between the 2 teams
Elder leads the series 53-45-6 which began in 1923

Specht vs Ramsey head to head since 2004 has St. X with a 16-7 advantage

X has won the last 3 matchups by an average score of 49-22
2021 52-14 Week 6 at Ballaban Field
2020 56-28 3rd round at Ballaban Field
2020 38-24 Week 3 at Elder Stadium

Elder Wins: Cov Cath (4-1) 42-21 , Pick Central (2-3) 17-7, Springboro (4-1) 21-20 and LSX (3-1) 24-13
Elder Loss St. Edward (4-1) 17-14

Their first 5 opponents combined record is 17-7
X first 5 opponents are a combined 19-5

Offensively the Panthers average 285 yards a game evenly split between run and pass.
None of their skill players present a mismatch, either in size or speed.
Their 5 primary receivers average less than 12 yards a catch and their top 3 rushers longest gain is only 38 yards.

Defensively LB Voelkerding leads the team averaging 8 tackles, a sack and 1 tackle for loss per game.

Bomber Offense
The Bombers only managed 17 points in last weeks loss despite doubling their opponent in passing yards and time of possession.
Despite the return of Fleetwood to center the OLine allowed 6 sacks and constant pressure on O'Malley
Still O’Malley completed 21 of 30 throws for 230 yards and now leads the league in passing yards with 1,093 in the first 5 games.
He didn’t spread the ball around as in the past as 25 of his 30 throws were intended for Sharp, Wassler and Napier
RB Steven Napier rushed for 129 yards and his 5 game total of 438 yards (4.2 ypc) is 2nd in the league

Always a great week on Yappi, Reject and Omar the dbag will battle it out. X Wins. Elder needs more non feeder school talent (LOL). Many of those kids to the dismay of Omar the dbag go to X, though he been trying to recruit them to Elder since their days as a 3rd Grade stud/D1 prospect at OLV.

Defensively X will have to retool the secondary.
With PJ Rose back I expect Bonner to move back to the secondary to cover for Myers.
Also in Rose absence while Bonner moved to OLB, both Bishop and Folke got valuable playing time
X still has matchup issues with bigger WRs as we saw in both the LA and EE games.
Elder's top 5 receivers are 5'9"-6'1" but they have a couple of lanky TEs (6'4" and 6'8") but each has caught only 1 pass and are likely more comfortable catching the round orange ball in the post.

I see a low scoring game. Elder 21 Blue boys 17. Should be a great game........ I'm sure Rose will want to play in this one knowing most of the Elder kids

Always a great week on Yappi, Reject and Omar the dbag will battle it out. X Wins. Elder needs more non feeder school talent (LOL). Many of those kids to the dismay of Omar the dbag go to X, though he been trying to recruit them to Elder since their days as a 3rd Grade stud/D1 prospect at OLV.

X actually traditionally has a strong pipeline of talent from OLV. I know Wassler is an OLV kid and Lyons last year. I'm not sure who else they have from OLV this year.

OLV - Our Lady of Victory
OLV - Our Lady of Visitation

Both X and Elder have strong ties into Visitation. Elder mostly from Victory.

Traditionally if Visi has 50 boys in their graduating class, 35-40 of them go Elder and the rest go X.

If Victory has 30 boys, 25 go Elder, the rest go X.

It varies year to year. Antoninius is another west side school that has sent kids to X over the years.

Traditionally if Visi has 50 boys in their graduating class, 35-40 of them go Elder and the rest go X.

If Victory has 30 boys, 25 go Elder, the rest go X.

It varies year to year. Antoninius is another west side school that has sent kids to X over the years.

I know playing at the Pit for these guys is a big deal (may have some dates off a little)

Visitation Grads playing football at X in 2022
PJ Rose Sr. LB- dad Pete Jr. went to Oak Hills and grew up on Oakhaven near Ebenezer/Werk Rd with his parents Pete and Carolyn
Ian Dearing Sr. WR- dad Pat graduated with Coach Specht from StX class of '86
Noah Beck Jr. LB
Will Hendon Sr. TE and Jax Hendon Fr. S
Jack McClatchey Sr. WR and Alex McClatchey Fr. WR
Joey Wassler Sr TE - dad Dave was Elder class of ’79; brothers Jake Wassler So TE and Josh Wassler Fr TE
Ben Soloria So. QB - dad Steve was Elder class of ’85 played baseball

St. Antoninus Grads playing football at X in 2022
Joel Scheve Sr. WR - dad TJ StX grad ’90s played tennis
Ben McDonald Jr. WR and Brady McDonald Fr. RB - dad John StX grad ’90s played baseball; cousins Sam and Henry McDonald both WRs played football at StX in the early 2000’s
Will Hester Jr. TE and Grant Hester Fr. OL - dad Mark StX grad ’92 played golf and basketball
Nick Brady Fr. LB
Ben Schmidt Fr. DL

Jim Telles - StX freshmen football offensive line coach was Elder Class of 1979
StX teachers formerly taught at Elder: Gil Wendling (History) and Bill Kuhlman (Physics)

And finally I know playing at the Pit is a big deal for Coach Specht - OLVisitation Class of 1982/StX Class of 1986 attended games at the Pit throughout grade school with intent of going to Elder but mysterious circumstances sent him to StX

With Specht as Head Coach the Bombers are 7-2 at the Pit

2004 X won 33-30 in 2 OTs Week 6 at Elder Stadium
In coach Specht's 1st game vs Elder as HC, RB Chris Cionni (St. Antoninus grad) 3 yard TD run in OT wins it after a DJ Hueneman FG gave Elder a 30-27 lead.

2006 X won 30-15 Week 6 at Elder Stadium
RB Darius Ashley (Louisville) carries 32 times for 141 yards and 3 TDs

2008 X lost 33-15 Week 6 at Elder Stadium
Specht benches future NFL great Luke Kuechley (Boston College) who goes off script to try and shut down WR Josh Jones.
Kuechley who averaged over 10 tackles per game in his HS career records just 1 tackle.

2010 X won 35-10 Week 6 at Elder Stadium
RB Conor Hundley (Akron) rushes 17 times for 143 yards and 3 TDs and LB Steven Daniels (Boston College) records 12 tackles and 3 sacks of Elder QB Ben Gramke

2012 X won 35-26 Week 6 at Elder Stadium
X QB Nick Tensing throws for 3 TDs (2 to WR Kevin Milligan) and Milligan adds a 47 yard TD run on a sweep. Safety Ryan Berning records a remarkable 17 tackles. Elder's WR Joe Ramstetter (Ohio State) had 7 catches for 177 yards and 2 TDs

2014 X won 32-24 OT Week 6 at Elder Stadium
RB Ben Glines (Boston College) rushed 24 times for 172 yards and 3 TDs and RB Ron Fricke ran 11 times for 116 yards and 1 TD.
Glines 3rd TD, a 5 yard run in OT, broke a 24-24 tie. LB Cole Jones (Indiana) led the defense with 11 tackles (8 solo) and 3 sacks.
Elder QB Peyton Ramsey rushed 30 times for 169 yards and 2 TDs, including an 80 yard bolt down the sidelines and WR Louis Faillace had 11 catches for 97 yards

2016 X won 31-7 Week 6 at Elder Stadium
QB Sean Clifford (Penn State) ran for a 3 TDs and threw for another

2018 X lost 51-26 Week 6 at Elder Stadium
Nothing of note

2020 X won 38-24 Week 3 at Elder Stadium
A balanced Bomber attack led by QB Brogan McCaughey (Yale), RB CJ Kellom (Akron), RB Luke Vrsansky and WR Terrill McFarlin offset a 3 TD pass performance by Elder QB Ben Hambleton

I know playing at the Pit for these guys is a big deal (may have some dates off a little)

Visitation Grads playing football at X in 2022
PJ Rose Sr. LB- dad Pete Jr. went to Oak Hills and grew up on Oakhaven near Ebenezer/Werk Rd with his parents Pete and Carolyn
Ian Dearing Sr. WR- dad Pat graduated with Coach Specht from StX class of '86
Noah Beck Jr. LB
Will Hendon Sr. TE and Jax Hendon Fr. S
Jack McClatchey Sr. WR and Alex McClatchey Fr. WR
Joey Wassler Sr TE - dad Dave was Elder class of ’79; brothers Jake Wassler So TE and Josh Wassler Fr TE
Ben Soloria So. QB - dad Steve was Elder class of ’85 played baseball

St. Antoninus Grads playing football at X in 2022
Joel Scheve Sr. WR - dad TJ StX grad ’90s played tennis
Ben McDonald Jr. WR and Brady McDonald Fr. RB - dad John StX grad ’90s played baseball; cousins Sam and Henry McDonald both WRs played football at StX in the early 2000’s
Will Hester Jr. TE and Grant Hester Fr. OL - dad Mark StX grad ’92 played golf and basketball
Nick Brady Fr. LB
Ben Schmidt Fr. DL

Jim Telles - StX freshmen football offensive line coach was Elder Class of 1979
StX teachers formerly taught at Elder: Gil Wendling (History) and Bill Kuhlman (Physics)

And finally I know playing at the Pit is a big deal for Coach Specht - OLVisitation Class of 1982/StX Class of 1986 attended games at the Pit throughout grade school with intent of going to Elder but mysterious circumstances sent him to StX
I think St. X Var Asst J. Weber is an Elder grad. Son is WR at St. X. 🤔 Maybe I’m wrong.

I believe Andrew Weber went to Immaculate Heart of Mary and his Dad (Jerry Weber) is currently a St. X coach. Jerry Weber graduated from Elder in 1990 and all his family members all graduated from Elder. Andrew is a Jr. and plays WR and returns Punts for St. X.

If that's Jeff Weber, he was a captain on one of Elder's really good early 90s teams.
It is. Weber lived on east side for awhile now but was an outstanding Elder athlete in his day. I believe Weber also had pretty good run as St. Dominic Varsity Football Coach. Tim McClatchey an X Alum, a Proud Price Hillian and I believe pretty much a life long Westsider!

Freshman get it started with a 35-0 win. Game called with 2:05 in the 4th quarter due to lightening. Back up QB took all snaps in 4th quarter.

Freshman get it started with a 35-0 win. Game called with 2:05 in the 4th quarter due to lightening. Back up QB took all snaps in 4th quarter.
Elder Freshman are abysmal!! They even got whooped by Oak Hills. You will hear the Omars and other Elder blowhards talk about talent level and non feeder school talent and a bunch of other non sense. Bottom line is the Elder Freshman Football Coaches stink and been at it for awhile now. The lack of good Coaching and how it usually sets back the entire Program is astonishing but allowed for some reason to continue. Last yrs Freshman supposedly we’re not very good but are 3-0 I believe on JV this year.

Disclaimer, one of my Family members is one of the Freshman Coaches I speak of.

Elder Freshman are abysmal!! They even got whooped by Oak Hills. You will hear the Omars and other Elder blowhards talk about talent level and non feeder school talent and a bunch of other non sense. Bottom line is the Elder Freshman Football Coaches stink and been at it for awhile now. The lack of good Coaching and how it usually sets back the entire Program is astonishing but allowed for some reason to continue. Last yrs Freshman supposedly we’re not very good but are 3-0 I believe on JV this year.

Disclaimer, one of my Family members is one of the Freshman Coaches I speak of.
Every year the grade school kids coming up are "studs" and "D1 players". They are very good at over-inflating the athletic prowess of those grade school wonders. Never seen a group get so infatuated with the next grade school stud, often the child of 1989 Elder "stud".

StX Blue Freshmen 35 Elder 0

1st Qtr

X Daniel Vollmer 2 yard TD run (bootleg), XP no good; X 6-0

2nd Qtr
X Spencer Stegbauer 10 yard TD run, 2 pt conversion good; X 14-0
X Daniel Vollmer 22 yard TD pass to Cam Taylor, XP good; X 21-0
X Daniel Vollmer 9 yard TD pass to Kobe Clapper, XP good; X 28-0

3rd Qtr
X Brady McDonald 15 yard TD run, XP good; X 35-0

3 Quarter Totals

Rushing

RB Stegbauer 13 carries for 86 yards (6.6 ypc) and 1 TD
RB McDonald 10 carries for 48 yards (4.8 ypc) and 1 TD
QB Vollmer 4 carries for 33 yards (8.3 ypc) and 1 TD

Passing
QB Vollmer 9 for 11 for 110 yards and 2 TDs

Receiving
WR Taylor 3 catches for 57 yards and 1 TD
WR Clapper 2 catches for 45 yards and 1 TD
RB McDonald 2 catches for 11 yards
WR Brayden Reilly 1 catch for 2 yards
TE Joe Taggert 1 catch for 4 yards

Punts
OL/P Grant Hester 3 punts for 143 yards (45, 48 and 50); no fair catches and no returns, 2 punts inside the 10 yard line

Every year the grade school kids coming up are "studs" and "D1 players". They are very good at over-inflating the athletic prowess of those grade school wonders. Never seen a group get so infatuated with the next grade school stud, often the child of 1989 Elder "stud".
Right. Grade School stud at OLV and then usually ruined by Elder Freshman Football Coaches. X Play any Freshman on JV or Varsity?