Week 6: Elder

So much so, that pboy (Omar) was devastated that his son didn't go to Elder. I think he typed "Weber" 6,895 times in the Elder forum over the years.

Correction. It was the Elder '88 team that beat Moeller for the first time ending Moeller's GCL win streak of many years. Elder's '89 team also beat Moeller winning GCL back to back years. Both teams lost in playoffs though. '88 to Princeton and '89 to Moeller I think.

Correction. It was the Elder '88 team that beat Moeller for the first time ending Moeller's GCL win streak of many years. Elder's '89 team also beat Moeller winning GCL back to back years. Both teams lost in playoffs though. '88 to Princeton and '89 to Moeller I think.
Correct. Elder 1988 team was first GCL team to beat Moe in 17 years or something like that. And then beat Moe again in playoffs before Jonny Mattress Vikings were too much. Elder 1989 was undefeated until first round playoff loss to Moe.

Correct. Elder 1988 team was first GCL team to beat Moe in 17 years or something like that. And then beat Moe again in playoffs before Jonny Mattress Vikings were too much. Elder 1989 was undefeated until first round playoff loss to Moe.
Was Coach Hilvert a member of the 88 Elder Team? Looks like Moeller the team to beat in GCL and possibly the State this yr.

Kicking a FG down 28 in the 4th qtr at the 12 yard line? That’s terrible.
I think it's a shame that your HC emphasized player mistakes in the post game interview. Having seen a majority of the Bombers games I would point the finger at the HC, OC and DC. Special teams are not that impressive as well. It would seem to me that the entire coaching staff would have made the necessary adjustments coming out of week one to at least cut down on the number of fixable errors and coach the kids up for crying out loud. GBM

Last edited:
I think it's a shame that your HC emphasized player mistakes in the post game interview. Having seen a majority of the Bombers games I would point the finger at the HC, OC and DC. Special teams are not that impressive as well. It would seem to me that the entire coaching staff would have made the necessary adjustments coming out of week one to at least cut down on the number of fixable errors and coach the kids up for crying out loud. GBM
He’s not my HC.

I didn't see what actually happened there, but he looked to be in an awful amount of pain.
Following his being walked off the field and heading towards the Elder Locker room he left on a gurney. He looked to still be in pain with someone supporting his right arm. Whatever the injury be, upper arm, shoulder or collarbone; X has lost him for weeks and you have to think possibly the year.

Damn Shame!

I agree. I mentioned a couple weeks ago things didn't seem right and that changes could be coming. I think it's the right move, but also wasn't a fan of how he called it out in the interview. But I think it's necessary. It will be tough to right the ship this year, but will pay dividends down the line.

Following his being walked off the field and heading towards the Elder Locker room he left on a gurney. He looked to still be in pain with someone supporting his right arm. Whatever the injury be, upper arm, shoulder or collarbone; X has lost him for weeks and you have to think possibly the year.

Damn Shame!
Yikes, that is a shame. An upper body injury that requires a gurney is probably a season ender.

I agree. I mentioned a couple weeks ago things didn't seem right and that changes could be coming. I think it's the right move, but also wasn't a fan of how he called it out in the interview. But I think it's necessary. It will be tough to right the ship this year, but will pay dividends down the line.
He could have phrased it better, and remember he was asked specifically about the QB switch. The coaching in all facets has been poor this season, with two wins left on the table, and huge flops following each. If it continues, I'd expect coordinator changes in the off-season, I can't see Specht being that tolerant. Reminds me of the 2018 season, which I think may have been the last year Specht was the OC. If he's the ST coordinator this year maybe it's a sign that he can't handle juggling both.

Perhaps more than just ReLoad over-estimated the talent on this team... the players on the field have looked questionable, at best, from the first game-- and I don't think O'Malley is the problem-- yes, he's made some mistakes-- but most of those I would attribute to being given very little time in the pocket, and to some highly questionable play calls, more than his decision-making or shortcomings as a player. If anything (despite the dearth of spiral passes thrown), he's been a pleasant surprise (running and passing)-- I think he's leading the GCL in passing yardage...

The biggest issues (not necessarily in order) seem like:
1) Inability to cover opposing receivers in the defensive secondary;
2) Inability to stop the run, the way MOST of Specht's X teams have in the past;
3) Not great tackling by any of the 3 levels of the defense;
4) Inability to run the ball successfully, in "must-have" short-yardage situations;
5) Inability to pick up defensive rushers, to give O'Malley much time to throw;
6) inability to kick the ball well, in most phases-- kick-offs, punts, FGs (not much range);

These problems have been, IMO, either created or compounded by the coaching-- it seems to be well off the standard that Specht had established in his first few years as head coach. Specifically, the team's organization (on special teams, especially), the play-calling (particularly near the opponents' goal line), and the discipline (as evidenced by the number of just ridiculous penalties-- like the 15-yarder, AFTER the PAT on X's last TD against Moeller), are indicative of a team that has NOT appeared well-coached this season. When a team regularly has to waste time-outs early in a half, either to prevent a delay-of-game penalty, or to get properly lined up (either on offense or defense), that suggests poor coaching preparation; when a team regularly gets false start penalties on the offensive line, every time it attempts to run a higher tempo, that reflects a lack of discipline or proper coaching-- or both. This team does NOT look anything like the Steve Specht coached teams that I saw in most of his ~first decade in charge.

I think you are putting too much on the coaching. The 2020 team had several all-decade seniors and a very strong junior class. The 2021 team had that class as seniors but they were not deep. Any injury subs struggled. This senior class has very little playing experience and seems to be missing a couple game changers. Pretty sure Specht can still win if he has OL pancakes, DL absorbing double teams, and skilled players faster than the other team.

Players have to execute at the end of it all. You can have world class coaching but if players aren't executing its a wrap.
I think you are putting too much on the coaching. The 2020 team had several all-decade seniors and a very strong junior class. The 2021 team had that class as seniors but they were not deep. Any injury subs struggled. This senior class has very little playing experience and seems to be missing a couple game changers. Pretty sure Specht can still win if he has OL pancakes, DL absorbing double teams, and skilled players faster than the other team.
So it sounds like it's a development issue. Like with last years seniors when they were demolishing teams why were other guys not getting reps until the last possible minutes? Even this year there have been opportunities to get back ups in to get some real work, but they would keep all the starters in. Did they starters need more work or what was the logic?

X obviously got drilled!! They looked softer than Omar the Dbag!! First time in a long long time that Elder Special Teams has played significantly better than their opponent. Kudos to the Elder Players, they clearly came to play and have been improving week to week.

X obviously got drilled!! They looked softer than Omar the Dbag!! First time in a long long time that Elder Special Teams has played significantly better than their opponent. Kudos to the Elder Players, they clearly came to play and have been improving week to week.
It has been a long time but I remember Elder running back an onside kick for a td vs X

REload must have gone into his bunker hiding for awhile?? Anyway good luck to X the rest of the season. I hope you can get things worked out and make a run in the playoffs.

Great atmosphere last night at the pit. Always a lot of good give and take between Elder and X. Two great schools, fanbases, and programs.