The Official 2022 Cincinnati Reds Thread

More evidence Nick Krall is a terrible GM: This Connor Overton guy (who silenced the Reds last September) is just toiling away in AAA while Sanmartin and Gutierrez get rocked every time through the rotation.

Nick Krall rides the short bus.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
He gets out at 2:15 and everyone else get out at 2:30. The Castellinis' are on half days!

Last edited:
This is a terrible way to build a sustainable winning team.

They burned a year of control of the best prospect to wear a Reds uniform in decades. Why?

They spent $24M on stop gaps instead of further cutting payroll and saving the money to be able to add or keep good players when they have a legit chance to win the division. Why?
I don't think you see teams worrying as much about they extra year of control like before. I think the plan is that if Greene is as good as he's supposed to be, then they'll sign him early, if not then it won't matter.

The idea wasn't to tank this year, I don't know why people think that. Minor, Pham, Drury, Strickland, Wilson were all brought into keep this team competitive. Now obviously that's not happening due to a rash of injuries and poor play.

Another disastrous outing for Reiver Sanmartin, who didn’t make it out of the first inning. I assume he will be headed to Louisville tonight, along with Koloszvary. I assume Stephenson is back Tuesday. As for the other player who needs to be sent down or DFA’d to get the roster to 26, they have their pick of anyone in the bottom half of the bullpen. Buck Farmer seems like as good a candidate as anyone. Once they get to Sanmartin’s next outing, they’ll have to bring Castillo or someone else up and jettison more bullpen deadweight.

I do wonder whether David Bell will be fired tomorrow. I could see it. If they fire him, they get to act like they care about wins and losses. On the other hand, firing Bell and naming an interim manager involves Krall and/or Phil coming out from hiding to have a press conference, which would open them up to having to answer the media’s questions about this trash heap of a roster. They may prefer to stay in hiding and keep the status quo.

Today was a dereliction of duty by Bell. Once it was 5-0, the game was essentially over already. Just let Sanmartin get out of it and eat whatever innings he could get through. You’re going into a week at the division leader and then a full weekend slate against the Pirates that includes a doubleheader day. You’re going to need your bullpen to eat innings. Burning them out today, especially on the brink of losing one or two relievers this week due to the roster cutdown, is really not smart. I know they’re off tomorrow, but still.

And let’s not even get into India hitting the IL again because the team stupidly rushed him back from his hamstring injury. I’m not a doctor, but I’ve followed sports enough over the years to know that hamstring injuries don’t resolve themselves within 10 days.

This team is a disaster.

Sanmartin certainly hasn't proved to be a capable starter, and if/ when Castillo / Minor are available, he's the likely candidate to go to the pen, unless the team decides he's going to be a starter and wants to keep him stretched out. Hopefully he's learning with each outing.

I agree, Buck Farmer should go.

I'm not a David Bell fan, but I hardly blame him. But then again, you can't fire 26 players and a shakeup is long overdue. I just really do not see it happening with the way baseball is today. Managers are big into analytics and unless the Reds have a manager in waiting, which I don't see, then who replaces him? My biggest gripe with Bell is he seems to have little to no energy or juice. He's not even got thrown out of a game this year or blown up at an umpire. His press conferences, which I rarely watch anymore are pitiful. When you have a bland manager, you have a bland team and this team is about as bland as it comes. Other than Pham's comments about Voit running over Stephenson at the plate, this team has little life day after day.

Disagree on the pen. No one other than Strickland pitched more than an inning, and you have today off so nearly everyone should be available tomorrow. I feel Bell has left some guys in too long this season so far and the game has got out of reach early. But I digress, pitching isn't this teams problem, this team has to start scoring runs. It's daily either 0-1-2-3 runs and that's it. This team is slow, so double plays are rally killers. We don't even hit home runs so why not try some small ball?

I'm sure India was pushing to play as much as anyone and now he's likely done for at least a month. He'll have to go to Louisville for some rehab games and this has just blown up into a big time mess. We've looked for a legit leadoff man for decades, we get one and he's hurt already.

I don't think you see teams worrying as much about they extra year of control like before. I think the plan is that if Greene is as good as he's supposed to be, then they'll sign him early, if not then it won't matter.

The idea wasn't to tank this year, I don't know why people think that. Minor, Pham, Drury, Strickland, Wilson were all brought into keep this team competitive. Now obviously that's not happening due to a rash of injuries and poor play.
That's the problem. No right thinking front office should have ever thought those guys could actually make this team competitive. They were clearly on the path to tanking and stopped midway thru the tear down and reversed course because of fan backlash.

They should have continued the tear down and held Hunter Greene in AAA until late May or June.

Indiandad already nailed the response. Add Solano to the list. Anyone choosing that list of players to keep a team competitive does not deserve any MLB front office job.

Last edited:

Someone did. Why else would they be here?

Indiandad already nailed the response. Add Solano to the list. Anyone choosing that list of players to keep a team competitive does not deserve any MLB front office job.
Sorry to say, but there is alot more guys like that floating around the league, making teams competitive than not. For some reason the guys the Reds bring in don't seem to work out. Although a guy like Adam Duvall jump started his career in Cincy.

Sorry to say, but there is alot more guys like that floating around the league, making teams competitive than not. For some reason the guys the Reds bring in don't seem to work out. Although a guy like Adam Duvall jump started his career in Cincy.
Adam Duvall was a AAA player when he was traded to Cincy.

The Solano, Drury, Strickland and maybe even Minor moves would have been OK signings to supplement the back end of a roster if it were already good. The Reds aren’t even close to fitting that profile, so these signings probably shouldn’t have happened.

This is pretty entertaining.

If the Reds are gonna be bad, I'd rather it be astronomically bad rather than just mediocre.
More to the point, no one mentions them. Total apathy.
I wonder at what point sponsors will begin voicing their displeasure. No way they are getting much bang for their buck.

To the person asking about playing “small ball” but also saying the team as a whole is slow. Slow and smallball doesn’t work.

Last edited:
Most of us knew the roster was sub-par, and most of us figured it might be around 70-75 wins this year. When you see names like Votto, India, Castillo, Mahle, Stephenson, even Moose and Pham, 70 wins feels about right. Better, more proven players than the rosters in Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit.

No one thinks this is a 3-19 roster on paper, which projects to 22-140 (God help us). Mix in the injuries, plus horrible starts for Votto, Moose, Pham, Mahle, etc, plus horrible pitching depth, and you get the current reality. The guys are demoralized. 60-102 seems like a pipe dream right now. Does this team win 55? 50? I just don't know.

Reds at division leading Milwaukee for 3 beginning tonight. Mahle, Gutierrez, Greene.
Most of us knew the roster was sub-par, and most of us figured it might be around 70-75 wins this year. When you see names like Votto, India, Castillo, Mahle, Stephenson, even Moose and Pham, 70 wins feels about right. Better, more proven players than the rosters in Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit.

No one thinks this is a 3-19 roster on paper, which projects to 22-140 (God help us). Mix in the injuries, plus horrible starts for Votto, Moose, Pham, Mahle, etc, plus horrible pitching depth, and you get the current reality. The guys are demoralized. 60-102 seems like a pipe dream right now. Does this team win 55? 50? I just don't know.
I've often said you can't win the division in April and May, but you sure can lose it. The Reds were expected by virtually no one to contend this year, but optimistically we hoped that the stars would align and this team might be around .500. Well that's off the table now. Or is it? Now if you chunk the season into 10 game increments, the Reds have 22 games in currently, So over the next 140 games (7 - 10 game chunks) if they go 6-4 in 7 chunks, and 5-5 in the other 7, that puts you at 80-82 for the season.
Now obviously the way they are playing today this is pipe dream and with India out and so many of our regulars struggling, even a 5-5 run looks unrealistic.
I'd say this month will be telling. The Reds next 15 games are with Milwaukee, Pittsburgh and Cleveland. I know Milwaukee is leading the division right now, but to me that's not a great team. Brunes and Woodruff are good starters but after that they are just ok and their lineup is just ok. Unlike the Reds, the Brewers April was littered with teams like the Cubs, Pirates and Orioles, so I feel their record is a little misleading.

By the end of the week there's a good chance the Reds are 20 games under .500 with the most runs given up and least runs scored in all of baseball.

Reds at division leading Milwaukee for 3 beginning tonight. Mahle, Gutierrez, Greene.

I've often said you can't win the division in April and May, but you sure can lose it. The Reds were expected by virtually no one to contend this year, but optimistically we hoped that the stars would align and this team might be around .500. Well that's off the table now. Or is it? Now if you chunk the season into 10 game increments, the Reds have 22 games in currently, So over the next 140 games (7 - 10 game chunks) if they go 6-4 in 7 chunks, and 5-5 in the other 7, that puts you at 80-82 for the season.
Now obviously the way they are playing today this is pipe dream and with India out and so many of our regulars struggling, even a 5-5 run looks unrealistic.
I'd say this month will be telling. The Reds next 15 games are with Milwaukee, Pittsburgh and Cleveland. I know Milwaukee is leading the division right now, but to me that's not a great team. Brunes and Woodruff are good starters but after that they are just ok and their lineup is just ok. Unlike the Reds, the Brewers April was littered with teams like the Cubs, Pirates and Orioles, so I feel their record is a little misleading.

lol..... I wish I can live in his world.

Could this be the worst team in the history of baseball? The Cleveland Spiders own the MLB record of 20-134, could this team equal that? Looking at a box score of a Reds game it seems they could potentially give it a run

Could this be the worst team in the history of baseball? The Cleveland Spiders own the MLB record of 20-134, could this team equal that? Looking at a box score of a Reds game it seems they could potentially give it a run
They are presently on pace to go somewhere in the 20 - 142 range. I do not think that will happen but could certainly see them surpassing the 62 Mets, the worst team ever in a 162 game schedule. In the pregame show last night they listed all the league leading categories of the Reds. To get a wiff of the best worst team ever they will have to keep these up!

I still look for them to get into the 50 win range, it's just too hard to suck this bad all season long in baseball. Eventually hitters will run into a few balls, pitchers will throw strikes and the Reds will get a few 2 game winning streaks and break this slump wide open. If you took the under on the 74.5 wins at the beginning of the year you have to be feeling pretty good right now as they would have to go 72 -65 over the last 139 games to get to the over.
The pitching has done pretty well so far. They are the best of the worst in the majors in ERA, walks allowed, runs allowed and of course fewest wins. The hitting is best if the worst in the majors in lowest batting average, runs scored and a category to be named later. This perfect storm of worst pitching and worst hitting has combined to produce worst record.

How embarrassing for the Braves is it to know they have allowed 66% of the Reds wins this season? Take away that first 4 game series in Atlanta and the Red's are 1-18 since. Nowhere to go but up! At least as total losses go.

The Reds have a winning percentage of .130 (3-20). Have you ever seen a team batting average higher than their win percentage 20 games into a season? Pretty good stuff happening here.

I need whatever reality-altering substances you are on. There are exactly zero reasons to believe this team will be 15 games over .500 the rest of the way.

The Reds have a winning percentage of .130 (3-20). Have you ever seen a team batting average higher than their win percentage 20 games into a season? Pretty good stuff happening here.
LOL, good observation.

Get your $8 View Level tickets(*) for this weekend’s titanic struggle with the pesky Pirates now at reds.com/bally ! Don’t miss out on this once-in-a-lifetime happening!

* $20 parking, $15 beers and $8 hot dogs not included in this advertisement. Bring your own towel to wipe the bird dirt off your seat. They’ve sat idle since the home opener.

I can't see the Reds on a 4-game win streak at any point during the season. Like the great Pete Rose said "....How do you expect them to win and you let all the offense go....", 2/5ths of the starting rotation go, your best reliever walk away and Tommy Pham will be gone by July! You don't have to pitch to certain guys anymore, no one after Hunter Greene is feared un the rotation and who is what in the bullpen. closer, set up guy?
And to top it off you have the king of analytics running the show -David Bell. Why is he still managing analytically and they've won 2 games of 22!?!?

If I were given tickets, I'd give them away.
If we still had physical tickets, you could save them until winter and give them to a homeless person to use as kindling in a trash barrel fire.

If I were given tickets, I'd give them away.
Got offered free “Opening Day” (not opening day) tickets down the first base line. Turned them down. The Reds have been my summer entertainment and Opening Day my favorite day of year, my entire life. That’s where I’m at with this organization.

I’ll have them on in the background but pay little attention. If they come close to some losing record…I’ll pay more attention and cheer for that

Got offered free “Opening Day” (not opening day) tickets down the first base line. Turned them down. The Reds have been my summer entertainment and Opening Day my favorite day of year, my entire life. That’s where I’m at with this organization.

I’ll have them on in the background but pay little attention. If they come close to some losing record…I’ll pay more attention and cheer for that
I might go with free seats, but won't be spending $$ with Bob/Phil. If I'm in the mood to sit at a ballgame on a nice summer evening and have a beer, the Columbus Clippers have a beautiful little park and it is a fun night. And they win more than they lose, and are 20 minutes from home, vs. two hours.