The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Caught the Padres before they started the hard part of their schedule - but have to keep it rolling. Cardinals only 3.5 games behind us. Can Milwaukee start to stumble? Peralta on the IL now, perhaps all those innings catch up to their great pitchers?

PS. If Bell does not play Suarez I may think that Zeeyore is Bell. Moose looks lost at the plate and 1-32 with favorable matchups, and zero RBI and zero runs scored. Dumb to keep running him out there.
Why not Farmer at 3B and Barrero at SS? I bet they could raise the hard hit ball stats

Why not Farmer at 3B and Barrero at SS? I bet they could raise the hard hit ball stats
Slight problem with your plan - I've told you twice that Votto is the only Red with a higher percentage of hard hits per at bat than Suarez. Even gave you a link to support it. Poor Zeeyore!

1629563232396.png

Suarez has a BaBip of .190

The league average is .310

He is hitting the ball hard at defenders. His XBaBip based on his hard hit rate and exit velocity is nearly .400

Suarez needs to play everyday and keep hitting the ball hard.
If he shortened his swing a bit and cut down on the strike outs his average would likely climb. A 400ft homerun to left is just as effective as a 420 ft HR.

His chase rate hasn't increased so he isn't swinging more at bad pitches. His issue really is bad luck.

He needs to play. Hard hit balls will average out.

He is hitting the ball hard at defenders. His XBaBip based on his hard hit rate and exit velocity is nearly .400

If he shortened his swing a bit and cut down on the strike outs his average would likely climb. A 400ft homerun to left is just as effective as a 420 ft HR.

His chase rate hasn't increased so he isn't swinging more at bad pitches. His issue really is bad luck.

What’s his LBGQ babip ?

Slight problem with your plan - I've told you twice that Votto is the only Red with a higher percentage of hard hits per at bat than Suarez. Even gave you a link to support it. Poor Zeeyore!

View attachment 20438
It’s all bad luck ? I guess leading the NL in strikeouts is bad luck too. His stats have steadily declined the past three years to the abysmal level of this year. You can keep harping on hard hit balls all you want, outs are outs

Maybe Suarez need to take a lesson from Votto (he reinvented himself this year) and make changes to his batting. If he does not do something his days in baseball could be coming to an end.

It’s all bad luck ? I guess leading the NL in strikeouts is bad luck too. His stats have steadily declined the past three years to the abysmal level of this year. You can keep harping on hard hit balls all you want, outs are outs
What difference does it make if he strikes out or hits a weak grounder to short?

It doesn't go down as a K but the result is the same.

Guys who hit the ball hard generally are more productive over time.

I see you've been reading a blog...

You want to take your SS who has been playing really well and move him to 3B so a rookie can play SS in the middle of a playoff race? GTFO

I see you've been reading a blog...

You want to take your SS who has been playing really well and move him to 3B so a rookie can play SS in the middle of a playoff race? GTFO
I want the best eight out there, burrito boy aint one of those

What difference does it make if he strikes out or hits a weak grounder to short?

So you are in the camp that Suarez is just unlucky for the last two seasons ?

He is a known commodity.

Barreo isn't.

Farmer at 3B isn't either.

Suarez is our best option at 3B right now.
Totally disagree, if you can play SS you can play 3B. Give the kid a chance like they did last year, maybe it will work out better this year. Try it for a week and see what happens, Suarez is killing them as is Moose

Totally disagree, if you can play SS you can play 3B. Give the kid a chance like they did last year, maybe it will work out better this year. Try it for a week and see what happens, Suarez is killing them as is Moose
Then leave Farmer at SS and play Barreo at 3B.

When there is a runner on 3rd and less than two outs there is huge difference between a slow grounder to short and a K. In most situations in the first 6 innings or so the defensive team will give up that run to get an out. Other than that a batted ball has a chance of being misplayed or falling in, a swing and a miss or a taken strike has no chance.
Moustakas' bat is slow for whatever reason right now.

Totally agree. But we are wasting time trying to convince Zeeyore. He doesn't understand baseball or math, and doesn't want to understand. He hates Suarez for political reasons. I'm done trying.

I know I have ragged on Bell a lot the last few years, but I give him major kudos for a couple of things last night.

1) Bell almost always played the "lefty vs. righty" game in the past. In that key spot in the 6th inning, with 3-2 lead and bases loaded, the Marlins right-handed pitcher was struggling, with a lefty ready in the pen. Moose was on deck to hit for the pitcher and I'm yelling at the TV "no - we don't want Moose vs. a lefty". Bell changed his mind, and had Stephenson hit vs. a righty. It was obviously a great result, but even if Stephenson made an out, it was the correct move. Keep the struggling righty in the game to face your best pinch hitter, don't let them bring in a fresh lefty to face struggling Moose.

2) Bell historically always saved his closer for the 9th. Givens has been excellent, and I was glad to see him brought in for the 8th to face 2-3-4 in the Marlins lineup. That is correct - bring in your best to face their best - highest leverage spot is not always the 9th inning. In this case the result was not good, Givens was not sharp, but IMO Bell made the right move. And Lorenzen saved the day.

Bell deserves credit for adapting and improving his in-game decisions.

I know I have ragged on Bell a lot the last few years, but I give him major kudos for a couple of things last night.

1) Bell almost always played the "lefty vs. righty" game in the past. In that key spot in the 6th inning, with 3-2 lead and bases loaded, the Marlins right-handed pitcher was struggling, with a lefty ready in the pen. Moose was on deck to hit for the pitcher and I'm yelling at the TV "no - we don't want Moose vs. a lefty". Bell changed his mind, and had Stephenson hit vs. a righty. It was obviously a great result, but even if Stephenson made an out, it was the correct move. Keep the struggling righty in the game to face your best pinch hitter, don't let them bring in a fresh lefty to face struggling Moose.

2) Bell historically always saved his closer for the 9th. Givens has been excellent, and I was glad to see him brought in for the 8th to face 2-3-4 in the Marlins lineup. That is correct - bring in your best to face their best - highest leverage spot is not always the 9th inning. In this case the result was not good, Givens was not sharp, but IMO Bell made the right move. And Lorenzen saved the day.

Bell deserves credit for adapting and improving his in-game decisions.
I’m sure he will take your compliment with great pride knowing it came from a baseball God

Totally agree. But we are wasting time trying to convince Zeeyore. He doesn't understand baseball or math, and doesn't want to understand. He hates Suarez for political reasons. I'm done trying.
Well that’s cool as you’re never going to convince me that burrito boy is a good player

Another 5-2 week - keep them coming Reds! Gutierrez was awesome, and Naquin had a great series (7 extra base hits). Glad to see Moose finally get a big one. We need everyone contributing.