The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Suarez club option isn't until 2025,, he's owed $11 mill until then. Joey is owed $25 mill the next two seasons. Neither is going anywhere. You're not going to pay them to go away AND pay Castellenos. I know you think these teams have endless supplies of money, but they don't.
Nick Castellenos will not be a Red next season. I think Naquin gets a better deal from someone else, he's bought himself a good pay raise and can be an everyday outfielder with another team.
The interesting decision and very difficult one is Moustakas. India has blown up the Reds plans to play Moose at 2nd. He an Suarez both can play 3rd, but that's way too much money to pay two guys to be part time players. I know you hate Suarez, but I've seen very little from Moustakas that makes me feel like he's going to be a big time contributor moving forward. The bad news is he's owed $16 and $18 mill the next two seasons. The Moose signing was awful and has really hurt this franchise moving forward.
So let your better players leave and keep the scrubs, sounds like a sound plan. Eat the Mexicans contract, have Moose and Farmer play 3B and try to sign Castellanos.

So you're going to pay Suarez $36 million (this includes the 2025 buyout) to go away next season? And then try to scrounge up enough money to OUTBID other teams for Castellenos? He's not going to play in Cincy because he loves Gold Star Chilli. Also, Winker is up for a contract next season, got to pay him too. Or are you ok with him walking?
So let your better players leave and keep the scrubs, sounds like a sound plan. Eat the Mexicans contract, have Moose and Farmer play 3B and try to sign Castellanos

So you're going to pay Suarez $36 million (this includes the 2025 buyout) to go away next season? And then try to scrounge up enough money to OUTBID other teams for Castellenos? He's not going to play in Cincy because he loves Gold Star Chilli. Also, Winker is up for a contract next season, got to pay him too. Or are you ok with him walking?
Suarez is dead money already, take your lumps from a bad contract. Griffey and Blotto’s stupid deals are ending in the near future. Quit making stupid deals, Suarez money is a write off for a billion dollar franchise, you can’t keep running him out there with this performance, you will lose your younger players attitude. No team should sign any ten year deals, it’s stupid and the players historically regress under those type of deals

G
Blotto has had a good year no doubt I was wrong about him. Suarez is garbage no matter what you say and it’s not just a slump when it lasts for most of two seasons. The Reds seem to have given up on Senzel also as he was not in the lineup for the Bats. The Reds need to make some moves in the off season as Barrero is forcing his way to be the every day SS and Greene and Lodolo are ready for their debuts.
My lineup for next year:

Stevenson C
Blotto 1B
India 2B
Barrero SS
Farmer/Moose 3B
Winker LF
Naquin CF
Castellanos RF (I would throw whatever money needed to keep him as Blotto and Suarez contracts are coming to an end)

Starters:
Vlad
Hunter
Nick
Tyler
Castillo

I would try to trade Miley and Gray as the are not future pieces
Good luck trade Miley...

He's a free agent after the season.

I agree on Suarez, we don't have any other better options, and he's being paid alot of money. They are simply not going to sit him.
Managers don't play guys based on contracts. You have posted that 100 times on here but it is not true. Cubs just dumped Arrieta; Angels dumped Pujols; Reds just ate the contract of Hembree, their 2nd or 3rd most expensive reliever. Pay attention.

Managers play the guys they think will help them win. Period. I gave you plenty of stats that support why Bell decides to play Suarez.

Sigh. I give up trying to teach advanced baseball stats to this crowd.
I think you should use quotes around "advanced" baseball stats. Just because someone thinks their better, doesn't mean they are.

Case in point. Last night, 7th inning, two on, 0 out and Shogo comes up. Now we can discuss bunting and why or why not all day. All I know is Shogo NEVER hits the ball to the right side. So moving the runner was a very slim proposition, unless he somehow punched a single to right field. Not even a square around to show bunt. He strikes out, India strikes out, pitching change and Votto grounds out, inning over.

If I'm Shogo and knowing my limitations, to help the team I'm bunting there, weather it's called or not.

All I really care about is winning. I'm OK if Suarez sits some if Moose can produce. But that hasn't happened much. I want the guys on the field that can help winning happen. Understanding stats that lead to winning is important. Runs. RBIs.

And you cannot quote some stats while ignoring others. I spelled out for you that Suarez is 20th in the entire MLB in Barrels per plate appearance. So even with all the strikeouts, he makes more hard contact than every player except the 19 ahead of him. The only Red ahead of him is Joey. All a batter can do is try to make solid contact.

Also, for you batting average dinosaurs, Suarez has a .283 BA in Late/Close situations. Late/Close means 7th inning or after, 1 run ahead, tied, or trailing with the tying run on base, at the plate or on deck. So to say Suarez only gets meaningless hits is 100% wrong. He has been a much better hitter in key situations.

Just trying to help enlighten you all as to why Bell keeps playing this guy who you think should be benched. Bell understands better than you what wins baseball games. It ain't just batting average. ?‍♂️

All I really care about is winning. I'm OK if Suarez sits some if Moose can produce. But that hasn't happened much. I want the guys on the field that can help winning happen. Understanding stats that lead to winning is important. Runs. RBIs.

And you cannot quote some stats while ignoring others. I spelled out for you that Suarez is 20th in the entire MLB in Barrels per plate appearance. So even with all the strikeouts, he makes more hard contact than every player except the 19 ahead of him. The only Red ahead of him is Joey. All a batter can do is try to make solid contact.

Also, for you batting average dinosaurs, Suarez has a .283 BA in Late/Close situations. Late/Close means 7th inning or after, 1 run ahead, tied, or trailing with the tying run on base, at the plate or on deck. So to say Suarez only gets meaningless hits is 100% wrong. He has been a much better hitter in key situations.

Just trying to help enlighten you all as to why Bell keeps playing this guy who you think should be benched. Bell understands better than you what wins baseball games. It ain't just batting average. ?‍♂️
I appreciate the enlightment however .172 with the 4th most K's in MLB, sorry, no thanks.

I appreciate the enlightment however .172 with the 4th most K's in MLB, sorry, no thanks.
while Moose may make more contact, it's no contest when it comes to power. Moustakas was good about 4 years ago. He's older now, less pop in his bat, does not move very well.

I'm going to say this now, and hopefully the Reds can come back today.

This is why I'm not a big David Bell fan. This team seems to really let down alot. I think playing a depleated Cubs team, the guys just dropped their guard and it's up to the manager to produce daily motivation for players, however that looks.

Bell is a very player friendly manager and he rarely says anything- actually never against a player.

At some point we run out of time. All those close losses in April/ May and June now really show their value. I just don't think David Bell is the guy who will be able to lead this team to a championship level.

This team had all the momentum after Monday and they've taken their foot off the gas.

I'm going to say this now, and hopefully the Reds can come back today.

This is why I'm not a big David Bell fan. This team seems to really let down alot. I think playing a depleated Cubs team, the guys just dropped their guard and it's up to the manager to produce daily motivation for players, however that looks.

Bell is a very player friendly manager and he rarely says anything- actually never against a player.

At some point we run out of time. All those close losses in April/ May and June now really show their value. I just don't think David Bell is the guy who will be able to lead this team to a championship level.

This team had all the momentum after Monday and they've taken their foot off the gas.
You have no idea what Bell says to players in the locker room. Maybe he should blast them by name in press conferences. Then they would hit better. Losses like the last 2 days do not happen because they "let their guard down" or "took their foot off the gas". You don't win baseball games with adrenaline and emotion.

It is frustrating to see an offense score 14 runs Monday and then 1 run each the next 2 games. Grrr.

You have no idea what Bell says to players in the locker room. Maybe he should blast them by name in press conferences. Then they would hit better. Losses like the last 2 days do not happen because they "let their guard down" or "took their foot off the gas". You don't win baseball games with adrenaline and emotion.

It is frustrating to see an offense score 14 runs Monday and then 1 run each the next 2 games. Grrr.
You most certainly can win ballgames on adrenaline and emotion. They ran into a good pitcher on Tuesday in Hendricks, it happens, yesterday there is no excuse for that effort. On the mound and at the plate.
I would agree its difficult to motivate professional ballplayers, however, it has to come from some source. What has transpired with the Cubs and Reds over the past two seasons has led the series to be more than playing out the string for the Cubs. The Reds were unable to match that and hopefully when they return to Wrigley next month it will sway in their favor.
I have no way of knowing how D Bell interacts with his players but he appears to be pretty even keeled with them. Most teams in most sports take on the personality of their leaders.

You most certainly can win ballgames on adrenaline and emotion. They ran into a good pitcher on Tuesday in Hendricks, it happens, yesterday there is no excuse for that effort. On the mound and at the plate.
I would agree its difficult to motivate professional ballplayers, however, it has to come from some source. What has transpired with the Cubs and Reds over the past two seasons has led the series to be more than playing out the string for the Cubs. The Reds were unable to match that and hopefully when they return to Wrigley next month it will sway in their favor.
I have no way of knowing how D Bell interacts with his players but he appears to be pretty even keeled with them. Most teams in most sports take on the personality of their leaders.
I guess we can debate that and disagree. My opinion, games like football and hockey you need to come out psyched up and breathing fire. In baseball too much emotion / adrenaline leads to pitchers overthrowing, and batters gripping the bat too tight. Need to manage your emotions more and stay under control.

I guess we can debate that and disagree. My opinion, games like football and hockey you need to come out psyched up and breathing fire. In baseball too much emotion / adrenaline leads to pitchers overthrowing, and batters gripping the bat too tight. Need to manage your emotions more and stay under control.
I guess my thought is that adrenaline and emotion lead to a more focused effort. At least that's been my experience.

Bought a cheap flight down to Miami next Sunday for the game, mostly for the hell of it. Anybody ever been? Got a seat in the lower bowl on the first base line for $9; upper bowl seats are not on sale :ROFLMAO:

Well, Suarez has been on the bench for Moose 4 of the last 5 games. Moose is 0-14 with zero power threat (1 HR per 34 plate appearances). Suarez gives 1 HR every 19 PA. But at least some of you are happy with this...

Moose's first game back he got those 3 doubles and we all were excited. 1 for 28 since, with zero RBI and zero runs scored. Explain how this is better than what we get from Suarez?

Bought a cheap flight down to Miami next Sunday for the game, mostly for the hell of it. Anybody ever been? Got a seat in the lower bowl on the first base line for $9; upper bowl seats are not on sale :ROFLMAO:
Have not been there but curious to hear your feedback. It looks like an amazing park, unfortunate that so few local fans go there to see their team.

Well, Suarez has been on the bench for Moose 4 of the last 5 games. Moose is 0-14 with zero power threat (1 HR per 34 plate appearances). Suarez gives 1 HR every 19 PA. But at least some of you are happy with this...

Moose's first game back he got those 3 doubles and we all were excited. 1 for 28 since, with zero RBI and zero runs scored. Explain how this is better than what we get from Suarez?
One for 28 is still a higher ba than burrito boy ? and Moose hit 14 of those balls hard

Well take a look at the standings. August 21 and the Reds are tied for the second wild card spot. They have been an entertaining team to follow this year.
It is a fun time to watch. The bullpen is like an amusement park ride however, lol. They have to find an answer at 3b and one of the outfield spots. I may retract my earlier statements and think playing Saurez is the best option or maybe Farmer/Barrero combination between SS/3B. I have no faith in Aquino as well. Yes he will hit you a bomb now/then but doesn't put the ball in play enough.
Last night in the 3rd with runners on 2nd and 3rd and no outs Moose/aquino/gray all struck out. Have to get a run home in those situations.
However, as a life long Reds fan it is cool to be in the hunt.

Caught the Padres before they started the hard part of their schedule - but have to keep it rolling. Cardinals only 3.5 games behind us. Can Milwaukee start to stumble? Peralta on the IL now, perhaps all those innings catch up to their great pitchers?

PS. If Bell does not play Suarez I may think that Zeeyore is Bell. Moose looks lost at the plate and 1-32 with favorable matchups, and zero RBI and zero runs scored. Dumb to keep running him out there.