The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

The pathetic Zeeyore only shows up because he gets erect when other people are unhappy. What a sad life.

Yeah, I had posted earlier that rooting for a team that can score but has pitching problems was more fun than the opposite, but this series really put that to the test.

Looking ahead a bit, I am sure that the Dodgers are due to cool off and maybe they will have a let down after another series with the Padres. So how about a sweep of the Cards and then two out of three from the Dodgers?
You are the poster of the day! Love the optimism. I'd be tickled to death with a 3-3 roadie.

If you had told me before the season that after 19 games:
- Gray and Castillo would combine for 1 win and an ERA of about 7.00
- Shogo would not play at all
- Suarez would produce almost nothing
- Garrett would be 0-1 with a 13.50 ERA
- Moustakas would miss 10 days on IR

With all that going wrong, I happily take a 9-10 record. Credit to the other guys that have stepped up. Most of the above should fix itself over time.

With all that going wrong, I happily take a 9-10 record. Credit to the other guys that have stepped up. Most of the above should fix itself over time.
?

I think you’re being naive thinking some of these things will fix themselves.

I think you’re being naive thinking some of these things will fix themselves.
OK, I'll play. Let's go point by point. Here is my opinion on all 5.

1. Gray and Castillo are proven pitchers. They will figure it out and be much better. Agree/disagree?
2. Shogo will be healthy and contributing soon. Agree/disagree?
3. and 4. Suarez and Garrett have proven track records. They will both produce better than they have in April. Agree/disagree?
5. Moose will be back soon - the losing streak coincides with his absence. Agree/disagree?

I have no outrageous assumptions here. What is your point?

1. Gray and Castillo are proven pitchers. They will figure it out and be much better. Agree/disagree?
3. and 4. Suarez and Garrett have proven track records. They will both produce better than they have in April. Agree/disagree?
5. Moose will be back soon - the losing streak coincides with his absence. Agree/disagree?

Points 3 & 4 are what I have an issue with. Neither Suarez or Garret have ever been this bad in their entire career.

History tell us Suarez is a proven streak hitter he is going to have to have great upward streak to compensate for this downer.

Points 3 & 4 are what I have an issue with. Neither Suarez or Garret have ever been this bad in their entire career.
Which is exactly my point. Almost always the veteran players revert to something near their career averages.

A 10 game losing streak and a secure hold on last place in the division is likely at this point.

Fire sale! Reds need to blow up this team and start over. You can’t trade Votto unfortunately, because of the ridiculous contract they gave him. I personally wouldn’t trade India, Winker, Mahle, Stevenson and Gray. Everyone else needs to go and let the young guys start contributing in 2022. What difference does it make at this point? My starting rotation next year would be:
Gray, Mahle, Lodolo, Greene and Santillan
Starters would be:
Stevenson C
Votto 1B (for two more freaking years at 40 years old, how stupid)
India 2B
Garcia SS
Callahan 3B
Winker RF
Siani CF
Friedl LF
Bullpen is whoever you could get for Senzel, Castillo and the Mexican etc

Fire sale! Reds need to blow up this team and start over. You can’t trade Votto unfortunately, because of the ridiculous contract they gave him. I personally wouldn’t trade India, Winker, Mahle, Stevenson and Gray. Everyone else needs to go and let the young guys start contributing in 2022. What difference does it make at this point? My starting rotation next year would be:
Starters would be:
Stevenson C
India 2B
Garcia SS
Callahan 3B
Winker RF
Siani CF
Friedl LF
That lineup would be lucky to win 40 games. lmao ?

Last edited:
Starters would be:
Stevenson C
India 2B
Garcia SS
Callahan 3B
Winker RF
Siani CF
Friedl LF
Fire sale? This team was in first place a week or so ago. Who knows, they may go right back to the top.

Starters would be:
Stevenson C
India 2B
Garcia SS
Callahan 3B
Winker RF
Siani CF
Friedl LF
LOL... Thought you mocked people that still care about the Reds? You even know their minor league prospects! Loser.

All smart baseball people know that you should absolutely overreact to a bad 7-10 days.

Agree on 1, 2 and 3. Disagree on 4 and 5.

The frustration with Gray and Castillo is they both, especially Gray is a 5 inning pitcher. Sonny has thrown into the 8th inning maybe 3 times in his Reds career. He's just not durable. Castillo? I have no idea. It's really hard to be a successful starting pitcher when you put your team behind consistently early in games. I think he'll get it figured out, but his stature as an elite pitcher has been severely damaged.
At this point, Shogo, who cares? Outfield offense is strength of this team. It would be good if we could put one of our outfielders in the infield.
Suarez is has and will always be streaky. He has a long, long swing and any pitch that has movement is tough for him to adjust to.
Garrett is an average relief pitcher. He has no ability to command his pitches, therefore batters can just sit back and make him come to them down in the count. I would take him down to Louisville and change his mechanics. Have him throw over the top more and work on some pitch variations. His fastball is just easy to hit. My guess is it has little movement. He's got a nice slider, but he can't consistently throw it for a strike so once it's out of his hand, you can tell if it's going to cross the plate or not.
Moustakas is very frustrating. He missed time mysteriously last season too. You can't depend on him.
I don't like David Bell, but I can't blame him. The players need to do the job and they are not.

Starters would be:
Stevenson C
India 2B
Garcia SS
Callahan 3B
Winker RF
Siani CF
Friedl LF

As frustrating as the last week has been, it's not time to talk fire sale. There is way too much of the season left and I don't think anyone from the division is running away from anyone else. Minus the last few innings Saturday, the offense was to blame this weekend. The pitching was actually pretty good. Good enough. I've always said that you need to plan to score 5+ runs per game to win baseball games today. We don't have elite pitching. We have good pitching and average defense.
This team has got away from what it did early. The at bats have turned into trying to hit home runs again. You need walks and singles, keep the line moving. The home runs will happen.

Comments on 3 of your points...
At this point, Shogo, who cares? Outfield offense is strength of this team. It would be good if we could put one of our outfielders in the infield.
Reds fans should care about Shogo. The man can get on base at a high clip. Oh by the way, Senzel had an infielders glove and took infield in warm-ups yesterday. Finally!

Moustakas is very frustrating. He missed time mysteriously last season too. You can't depend on him.
I fear he has a serious injury this time. The Reds miss his leadership and his bat very badly. But I suspect that is why the Reds have Senzel taking infield reps. Shogo will be back before Moose, it seems.

I don't like David Bell, but I can't blame him. The players need to do the job and they are not.
Agree. I also do not care for Ding-a-ling, but this streak is on the players. And kudos to Bell for going off on the umps when India got hit in the head yesterday. Earned some respect there, sticking up for his guys and trying to light a fire. It was get-away day. I would have put in a marginal bullpen guy, and said "throw safely behind Goldschmidt or Arenado's head". Not to injure, but to send a message, both to the Cardinals ("this crap won't be tolerated") and our own guys ("wake the F up").

LOL... Thought you mocked people that still care about the Reds? You even know their minor league prospects! Loser.

All smart baseball people know that you should absolutely overreact to a bad 7-10 days.
There is this thing called the internet dumb, easy to look stuff up

Comments on 3 of your points...

Reds fans should care about Shogo. The man can get on base at a high clip. Oh by the way, Senzel had an infielders glove and took infield in warm-ups yesterday. Finally!

I fear he has a serious injury this time. The Reds miss his leadership and his bat very badly. But I suspect that is why the Reds have Senzel taking infield reps. Shogo will be back before Moose, it seems.

Agree. I also do not care for Ding-a-ling, but this streak is on the players. And kudos to Bell for going off on the umps when India got hit in the head yesterday. Earned some respect there, sticking up for his guys and trying to light a fire. It was get-away day. I would have put in a marginal bullpen guy, and said "throw safely behind Goldschmidt or Arenado's head". Not to injure, but to send a message, both to the Cardinals ("this crap won't be tolerated") and our own guys ("wake the F up").
At this point, Shogo is a 4th outfielder at best. Jessie Winker has won the left field spot, IMO. So Shogo, Naquin and Senzel all get to fight it out in centerfield. I would be all for Senzel moving back to the infield.

I have no idea about Moustakas, and it infuriates me how the media treats these guys with kid gloves. Mostakas is on the "non-Covid" sickness 10 day DL?? What it he world does that mean? We're all adults here. If you've got pnumonia, just tell us. Why the secrecy? There's bee nothing ever said about an injury, it's all been sickness.

I kind of wish we'd see Bell more like that day to day and with the players, which we never EVER see. You listen to the pre/ post game shows and they are awful. He NEVER blames the players. It's the weather, it's the other team, it's the field, it's the umpires. I did not see India get hit, but it seems like today, it's not an issue anymore. These guys throw so many pitches where they have no idea where it's going, and the players are all buddy buddy so it's rare that anyone ever really truly gets thrown at.

It's been a very frustrating week to be a Reds fan, and a 5-6 game win streak could turn the tide.

I've always said you can't win the division in April, but you sure can lose it. The Reds are sitting on 9 wins for April, with the Dodgers for 3, So the thought of a double digit win month is slim. And 10-11 wins a month isn't going to get it done. A week ago, a 14-15 win month was very doable. What this does is force the Reds to have a 16-18 win month sometime in the next few months just to keep up.

What got Bell going after India got hit was that the umpires immediately warned both teams. Not only that, got hit with a fastball right to the side of the helmet. Probably not intentional, but looks bad to miss that bad with a relatively straight pitch.

What got Bell going after India got hit was that the umpires immediately warned both teams. Not only that, got hit with a fastball right to the side of the helmet. Probably not intentional, but looks bad to miss that bad with a relatively straight pitch.
Exactly - he was right to be p!ssed on both counts. Fastball to the head - first hit batter of the day - equal warning to both teams? That pitcher needs tossed from the game if you are warning both teams. Otherwise, the message from the umps seems to be "it is OK to throw the first bean-ball, but nobody else better do it." So stupid. 100% agree with Bell on this.

Exactly - he was right to be p!ssed on both counts. Fastball to the head - first hit batter of the day - equal warning to both teams? That pitcher needs tossed from the game if you are warning both teams. Otherwise, the message from the umps seems to be "it is OK to throw the first bean-ball, but nobody else better do it." So stupid. 100% agree with Bell on this.

Second series the umps have babied the Cardinals. Flaherty should be gone if there's enough suspicion of intent to give out warnings just like Molina should have been tossed in the first series along with Castellanos.

In the end, it makes it worse because the drama continues. India gets beaned in the head, next Cardinals batter gets hit in the back, and the drama is over.

Came out today that the Dodgers changed the supplier of Dodger Dogs without telling the fans. Have to think Ghost Tommy Lasorda will haunt them for that move.

Starters would be:
Stevenson C
India 2B
Garcia SS
Callahan 3B
Winker RF
Siani CF
Friedl LF

I think India ultimately is a 3rd Baseman. Castillo picked a pretty awful time to have the worst month of his career. Hopefully, he bounces back and his value at the deadline reaches what it was before the season. For those who don’t know, he’s on a 1 yr deal so either trade him or re-sign him, but you can’t just let him walk.