The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

That game (what I saw) was as poor as the Reds played all year. Some poor AB's (the announcers say "aggressive", I say "impatient") and a couple of dropped popups. plus a passed ball. Mahle deserved better, he threw really well again.

Hopefully we get home and play better against the Tribe. Need to win Friday/Saturday because Bieber is pitching Sunday. He is basically the AL DeGrom. Lights out good last year, and after the 1st 2 inning on opening day, untouchable again this year..

Mr Pronouns in Twitter bio (Doolittle) lost the game, what a total failure.
He is a total failure for getting an "L"? If so, it is a big club. I'm guessing it is because you hate his pronouns and can't tolerate anyone with different thought processes than you.

On the bright side "He" (Doolittle) pitched well yesterday, making "Him" feel better, and improving "His" ERA.

He is a total failure for getting an "L"? If so, it is a big club. I'm guessing it is because you hate his pronouns and can't tolerate anyone with different thought processes than you.

On the bright side "He" (Doolittle) pitched well yesterday, making "Him" feel better, and improving "His" ERA.
incel just hates the fact Doolittle puts pronouns on his Twitter page. Imagine getting upset over something like that.

I agree, one of the stapels of that first week was our ability to work walks, score on more than just home runs. We need to get back to that. I don't know that we'll be much better than an average defensive team. This team needs to score to win. And Mahle did deserve much better.
That game (what I saw) was as poor as the Reds played all year. Some poor AB's (the announcers say "aggressive", I say "impatient") and a couple of dropped popups. plus a passed ball. Mahle deserved better, he threw really well again.

Hopefully we get home and play better against the Tribe. Need to win Friday/Saturday because Bieber is pitching Sunday. He is basically the AL DeGrom. Lights out good last year, and after the 1st 2 inning on opening day, untouchable again this year..

incel just hates the fact Doolittle puts pronouns on his Twitter page. Imagine getting upset over something like that.
Yeah. I get the fact that some old farts get upset about the whole gender identity thing.

But in my work we have lots of university and corporate clients. Lots of Asian and Middle Eastern people have names that we Americans do not recognize as generally male or female, so I can appreciate seeing the pronouns so I know what to expect when I talk to the person on Zoom or something. Kind of like Sean Doolittle (male) or Sean Young (actress). Not really something to get mad about IMO.

Yeah. I get the fact that some old farts get upset about the whole gender identity thing.

But in my work we have lots of university and corporate clients. Lots of Asian and Middle Eastern people have names that we Americans do not recognize as generally male or female, so I can appreciate seeing the pronouns so I know what to expect when I talk to the person on Zoom or something. Kind of like Sean Doolittle (male) or Sean Young (actress). Not really something to get mad about IMO.
It’s about “trans solidarity” not bc he has a quasi unisex name.

Nice to see the bats bounce back at home. Reds should remember to pack those bats for the next road trip. India and Senzel have cooled, but Votto and Suarez have warmed up. Good to see.

Hoffman was all over the place mechanics-wise and lacked command, a bit messy with 10 base runners in 6 innings, but I give the kid credit for hanging tough and getting the key outs when he needed them. Nice outing.

Nice to see the bats bounce back at home. Reds should remember to pack those bats for the next road trip. India and Senzel have cooled, but Votto and Suarez have warmed up. Good to see.

Hoffman was all over the place mechanics-wise and lacked command, a bit messy with 10 base runners in 6 innings, but I give the kid credit for hanging tough and getting the key outs when he needed them. Nice outing.
Really good to see guys taking an approach of "just get on base" rather than every swing being for the fences. The 3rd inning was a great example of the importance of on base percentage approach.

Ding a ling strikes again.... bunts with Gray with 2 on and 1 out then pulls him after one batter the next inning. Might have been an opportune time to pinch hit.

lol. not the error on first baseman cost the tribe the game. lol. reds may trade bell for francona straight up lol

jtk
()

Lifelong Reds fan, would trade Ding-a-Ling for Tito in a heartbeat. Once again yesterday, trailing by a run, runners on 1st and 2nd with one out. Ding-a-ling sends up Sonny Gray to sacrifice bunt, which fails (predictably), and the Reds do not score. Then Sonny gives up a weak single in the next half inning and is immediately yanked. Sonny had been struggling, and I understand the quick hook. But if the leash was that short, why not hit for him when we have a threat brewing. Typical move, 3rd time this year. Dumb.

Having got that beef out of the way, what a fun game and great comeback! Both teams had terrible base-running blunders (Votto out by a mile at home, Winker making the 1st out in the 8th at third base on a WP, and Rosario on the triple play.) That triple play and the error gave the Reds life, and credit to Winker and Stephenson for the clutch hits. great win! This team chemistry just feels better than in the past.

lol. not the error on first baseman cost the tribe the game. lol. reds may trade bell for francona straight up lol

jtk
()
If we were assured Francona would manage for another 5+ years, I'd trade a first round pick for him. He's that good. The Indians are not a very good baseball team and I'll bet they'll be in the race because of the manager. Truth be know we were fortunate to win the series this weekend. The win Saturday was a gift. Some thoughts...
  • Tejay Antone is really good.
  • getting concerned over Suarez, he looks like he did last season. Such a long swing, swings through so many pitches
  • Votto on fire - the Votto haters gotta be struggling. He's actually, if you're a analytics guy, is hitting the ball harder than just about anyone in baseball.
  • Winker on fire
  • Catcher platoon of Barnhart/ Stephenson is working ideal. Stephenson getting good work, but not too much and Tucker is just solid
  • As much as it stinks for Castellenos to have to sit two games, at least we have options. We can put Naquin/ Winker/ Senzel in the outfield those days. Lose a little, but not alot.
  • Gotta feel for Aristes Aquino, my guess is this may be it for him in Cincy. Hamate bone fracture in the hand. It would do him well individually to go to a team where he could play regularly
Big week for the team. After Arizona at home, we go to St. Louis then to LA. for 3 games only, then back home?

Reds are #4 in the MLB power rankings.

If we were assured Francona would manage for another 5+ years, I'd trade a first round pick for him. He's that good. The Indians are not a very good baseball team and I'll bet they'll be in the race because of the manager. Truth be know we were fortunate to win the series this weekend. The win Saturday was a gift. Some thoughts...
  • getting concerned over Suarez, he looks like he did last season. Such a long swing, swings through so many pitches
  • Votto on fire - the Votto haters gotta be struggling. He's actually, if you're a analytics guy, is hitting the ball harder than just about anyone in baseball.
  • Winker on fire
  • Catcher platoon of Barnhart/ Stephenson is working ideal. Stephenson getting good work, but not too much and Tucker is just solid
  • As much as it stinks for Castellenos to have to sit two games, at least we have options. We can put Naquin/ Winker/ Senzel in the outfield those days. Lose a little, but not alot.
  • Gotta feel for Aristes Aquino, my guess is this may be it for him in Cincy. Hamate bone fracture in the hand. It would do him well individually to go to a team where he could play regularly
Big week for the team. After Arizona at home, we go to St. Louis then to LA. for 3 games only, then back home?

I agree with most of that, and I want Antone in the rotation. I do think Suarez will be OK; he's a streaky power hitter.

As for Aquino, the hamate bone is usually a fairly quick rehab, he will play probably later this summer if it is a "normal" hamate recovery.

And don't get me started on the MLB schedule makers. MLB is dumb about a lot of things, and scheduling is near the top of the list. Why you send an eastern time zone team to LA for 3 days and then bring them back east defies all common sense. This is not that hard to figure out. When an NHL team makes the cross-country trip, they do it efficiently. Blue Jackets have 2 western swings in normal seasons: Once they go play LA, Anaheim and San Jose. The next trip they play Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary. MLB? Nope. "Go to Phoenix and San Fran one week. Then come home for a week. Then go back to LA for 3 days. Oh, and we will send you to play the Padres some other time." So dumb... Sorry about the scheduling rant...

Last edited:
Was looking at the MLB standings for the first time. Nice to see Cincy in first! Also nice seeing the Yankees in last.

Noticed that Oakland started 1-7 and is now 9-7, an 8 game win streak. Get ready for Moneyball 2, the sequel.

Was looking at the MLB standings for the first time. Nice to see Cincy in first! Also nice seeing the Yankees in last.

Noticed that Oakland started 1-7 and is now 9-7, an 8 game win streak. Get ready for Moneyball 2, the sequel.
If everyone did things like the A's, there would be no such thing as big market, small market, and it actually can work in baseball. The new million dollar baby, Fransico Lindor is hitting all of .187 right now.

The Rays OWN the Yankees. Imagine saying that 20 years ago.

Why the hell didn’t Simms wait before throwing that last pitch to walk-in the go ahead run? If they can’t resume the game, that will lose the Reds the game. He should’ve stepped off the mound or thrown over to First.

Honestly, with the wind and heavy rain that game should have been called after 7. Garrett and Sims had to pitch the 8th with slick baseballs and a slip-and-slide on the mound for a landing zone. Ridiculous and unsafe. Reds have gotten the short end of several umpire decisions in this short season.

I'm sure the umpiring crew will have to answer to the league as to why the allowed the game to continue as long as it did. I've seen games not started when it's not raining because they are "anticipating" rain. This was awful conditions to play in.
That said, I can give Antone a pass because he's been lights out. Garrett has stunk all season and you can't say the weather made any difference for him. He simply cannot spot his fastball and he can't rely in his slider to get everyone out. I really think if you just take 7 pitches from him, more often than not he'll throw 4 balls before 3 strikes. It drives me nuts that professional pitchers can't throw a strike when they need to. Take a little off and throw a strike. You can't defend a walk.

Oakland is up to 10 in a row. Somebody call Brad Pitt's manager.

• Winker on fire

No way. That would be stupid. You don’t trade away on field talent for a manager. Jesus !

If everyone did things like the A's, there would be no such thing as big market, small market, and it actually can work in baseball. The new million dollar baby, Fransico Lindor is hitting all of .187 right now.
The As and their zero WS championships or appearances in the Moneyball era? Everyone should do that.