Tallmadge vs. Ursuline

cinco

I thought yappi would have started a thread on this already but OK I will... what are everyone's thoughts? Irish better come ready to play because Tallmadge can sling it.

I've seen Tallmadge play this year and they can definitely sling it. If the Ursuline defense can lock down Collin Dixon, they'll have a shot. I've seen highlights of the Irish, but what do they run as far as offensive sets goes? I know that Ferrell and Erickson have gotten reps at QB, and Christian Lynch is a solid running back.

The strength of the Irish is their O line. 4 out of 5 returned from 2021 & they were pretty good last year. Sounds like this is a match up of Tallmadge passing game and Ursuline dominate run game

The strength of the Irish is their O line. 4 out of 5 returned from 2021 & they were pretty good last year. Sounds like this is a match up of Tallmadge passing game and Ursuline dominate run game
This game seems more like a State Semi than a round 2 game but R9 is a different beast. Nobody seems to have a grasp of what Tallmadge is including Tallmadge. Blue Devil Defense is actually better than Blue Devil Offense currently.

Agree... Tallmadge will also need to contain the de donlow from the Irish... he can be a problem

This game seems more like a State Semi than a round 2 game but R9 is a different beast. Nobody seems to have a grasp of what Tallmadge is including Tallmadge. Blue Devil Defense is actually better than Blue Devil Offense currently.
Idk about state semi but I hear what your saying... this region hands down the strongest.

It looks Reardon will continue to go with Ericson at qb...so puzzling.
Does Tallmadge have much of a running game? I know they like to pass but curious as to roughly how many yards rushing they have.

I don't believe these schools have ever met on the grid-iron. What kind of a tradition has Tallmadge had? The town abuts Mahoning County (40 minute drive) so they ought to bring a crowd to Stambaugh.

I don't believe these schools have ever met on the grid-iron. What kind of a tradition has Tallmadge had? The town abuts Mahoning County (40 minute drive) so they ought to bring a crowd to Stambaugh.
Tallmadge had never made the playoffs until 2004. Went to the semifinals in 2004 and 2005. They've been a playoff regular for the next decade. Ran into a bit of a bump when that coach left (Joe Vassalotti) after the 2014 season. They've been to the playoffs a couple of times since (2017, 2020).

Not sure what the crowd size will be like. Tallmadge can bring a large crowd at times but can be fickle with the longer drives. Rarely do they play 40 minutes away. The Student section can be relatively large but not sure about the travel distance too.

It looks Reardon will continue to go with Ericson at qb...so puzzling.
Does Tallmadge have much of a running game? I know they like to pass but curious as to roughly how many yards rushing they have.
Tallmadge has almost 1300 yards rushing this season. They have 3 Senior RBs that share the position. The QB is also a threat to run but is pass first. He leads the team with 400+ yards rushing.

Tallmadge always has a chance because they have a high level experienced QB. I think they shoot themselves in the foot at times with untimely mental/emotional driven penalties. #6 has been starting at QB since the middle of his freshman year. He is a good runner when necessary and an accurate passer even when he is on the move. If he is in rhythm, he can win the game for Tallmadge

I’ve seen about three or four people the last few weeks questioning Coach Reardon staying with Erickson at QB. I think it is definitely the best move. He has a nice arm, good poise and runs pretty well. DC Ferrel imo should remain at WR. I haven’t seen the playmaker abilities that everyone keeps talking about. By far the best player on offense is Christian Lynch.
About this matchup with Tallmadge , I think the Irish by about 42-24 score with a close first half but Ursuline breaking away mid third quarter.

I’ve seen about three or four people the last few weeks questioning Coach Reardon staying with Erickson at QB. I think it is definitely the best move. He has a nice arm, good poise and runs pretty well. DC Ferrel imo should remain at WR. I haven’t seen the playmaker abilities that everyone keeps talking about. By far the best player on offense is Christian Lynch.
About this matchup with Tallmadge , I think the Irish by about 42-24 score with a close first half but Ursuline breaking away mid third quarter.
In his only start at QB, DC had 200 rushing yards and 4 touchdowns vs. VASJ... in the first half. I think only 9 carries. Whether it's at QB, receiver, or tail back, he needs a ton more touches. My concern is if he plays QB, you lose a top tier DB, which we will definitely need for Tallmadge.

All things considered, he's had as good of a year as anyone on the team, including Lynch. I actually love when the team lines up with DC, Jack, and Christian in the backfield together. Teams will have no idea where that ball is going.

Yes he needs a lot more touches... why not have the ball in his hands all the time on offense? Not saying Ericson is bad just not nearly as dangerous DC. Ericson would be a nice wr.

It appears that Tallmadge is the clear underdog in this game. From what I have gathered, Ursuline is a quick back, run mostly offense. Tallmadge really hasn't played many teams like that. Copley's QB was a great runner and a solid passer. VASJ had a couple quick backs but they mostly were contained except for one 41 yard TD run right after a punt and 15 yard penalty put VASJ in Tallmadge territory.

Tallmadge has struggled against the big offensive lines with big bruising backs (Highland and Aurora). They also struggled early in the season against Green with their 5 WRs.

Tallmadge's offense has put up big numbers against everyone except Highland (one of the best defenses in their division), Barberton, and VASJ. All three were able to get pressure on the QB and had the DBs to cover all the WRs. Tallmadge was able to muscle out wins against Barberton and VASJ with some power runs. The Tallmadge offense will come down to whether Ursuline can contain Hurst in the pocket and if their DBs can hang with the WRs when he scrambles.

The Irish strength is definitely the OL. The featured running back, junior Christian Lynch, is solid with a good burst but not quick. Very different from the featured back last year. Three WRs who are solid with the sophomore DC Ferrell being the X factor. He has glimpses of being special but not great size. SR Marc Manning is a good WR that should be used more.
The defense is improved but overall I would say average. The current junior class is pretty solid led by the DE Ty'req Donlow. They are a hard group to figure out. They have looked solid at times.
I think the Irish offense should be ok, but it's going to come down to containing the Tallmadge passing attack. Dixon just seems like a tough match up for any defense. and Hurst can make plays with his feet.

Quite literally what Ursuline is. So that's good news for the Irish.
I don't think the defense struggled against Highland. It was 7-7 at half and they had a pick 6 taken off the board. Special teams gave up a punt return in the 2nd Half. Defense held up admirably considering offense struggled to get a 1st Down, Highland defense is one of the best in Ohio. This should be a really good game Friday.

I really see Aurora as having a down year this year particularly on their Offense which is usually very good…. Ursuline has that very good Offense, I look for Tallmadge to struggle in this matchup this week, not sure they can keep up with the score. I do think it will be a high scoring game. I like Ursuline by 14…..

Forgot to mention that the Irish special teams are horrible...they have really struggled on kickoffs, probably given up over 5 kick return TD's.

Here is the projection from Fantastic50:
#3 Ursuline (9-2 D3 R9) by 17 (83%) vs #6 Tallmadge (9-2 D3 R9)

* the one bright spot of this prediction for the Blue Devils is that Tallmadge outperformed the picks in 8 games. Ursuline outperformed the picks only 3 times.

Forgot to mention that the Irish special teams are horrible...they have really struggled on kickoffs, probably given up over 5 kick return TD's.
Simple solution to not giving up Kick off returns for TD’s is quit scoring TD’s