SVSM Irish 2024

we might have to make another thread cause why do we have Massillon fans in here and why they talking like they IMG OR MATER DEI. In the last decade of our seven matches we’ve got the best of you four times 2013 2014 2015 2017 we’ve had more success against you guys in your own field but I digress.
It will remain on this thread as long as you draw it out.

we might have to make another thread cause why do we have Massillon fans in here and why they talking like they IMG OR MATER DEI. In the last decade of our seven matches we’ve got the best of you four times 2013 2014 2015 2017 we’ve had more success against you guys in your own field but I digress.
I do feel like St. V is a state champion contender in hide and seek, but I would never have entered this thread and brought it up if it weren't for the constant trolling by Football fan 1.

In the hopes that the window lickers will get distracted by something shiny and leave, let’s go back to discussing Irish football.

I think one of the biggest differences Grant will bring is in the strength and conditioning department. S&C was run by Wattley during Grant’s time, and he was a bit of a drill sergeant from what I gather. Plus, Doran’s dad would train him as well. He had Doran running hills after practice at times. Doran owns his own S&C business, hopefully he whips these boys into shape.

Strength/conditioning for the Irish has been handled in recent years by a woman whose background is in dancing. I think they ran the hill two, maybe three times this season? No wonder the Irish has been pushed around in recent years.

I do not doubt Grant’s ability to lock those boys in the weight room and work them into men. That’ll make a huge difference.
I think SVSM made a mistake getting rid of Anthony Gary. I knew Gary, he was always actually pretty chill, and ran an excellent strength and conditioning program. During the summer months, in between Track and Cross Country season, I would actually come up to SVSM for the strength and conditioning part. Helped make me stronger and tougher for XC.

Here is a crazy idea, that SVSM would never actually do, their big donors would never allow them to do that. But, they need to reach out to Keith Shinn, pay him as much as he would want. Shinn would turn those boys into men.

Make no mistake, I do not want him to go up there. His Steelyard place is a huge resource for my Comets. But the knuckleheads running our program, dont even know how to coordinate with/utilize Shinn's resource properly. He might as well go to a place that might learn to appreciate him.

I think SVSM made a mistake getting rid of Anthony Gary. I knew Gary, he was always actually pretty chill, and ran an excellent strength and conditioning program. During the summer months, in between Track and Cross Country season, I would actually come up to SVSM for the strength and conditioning part. Helped make me stronger and tougher for XC.

Here is a crazy idea, that SVSM would never actually do, their big donors would never allow them to do that. But, they need to reach out to Keith Shinn, pay him as much as he would want. Shinn would turn those boys into men.

Make no mistake, I do not want him to go up there. His Steelyard place is a huge resource for my Comets. But the knuckleheads running our program, dont even know how to coordinate with/utilize Shinn's resource properly. He might as well go to a place that might learn to appreciate him.
The school had no choice but to let him go. He was the one who made the mistake.

The school had no choice but to let him go. He was the one who made the mistake.
I swear all SVSM talk about is the past. Great to reminisce but it’s about moving forward and the future. “Back in the day…” it isn’t back in the day, it’s now And looking forward into the future. All you guys, your time is over, there are new kids on the block and they aren’t going to do it the old way, why? Because it’s OLD and outdated. We have cellular technology now, no one owns a landline. But it’s good to know it exists just in case, but that’s just in case. Be excited about a a new and hopefully improved SVSM, not one still living off State Championships ten - twenty years old When most of the current players weren’t even born or in kindergarten/1st grade. Time to innovate and be creative (I know that’s hard for a lot of you so ask your kids or grandkids). Be open to new ideas, new ways of doing things and new ways of thinking. Being boring and stuck in the old way of doing things is why SVSM is where they are now.

I swear all SVSM talk about is the past. Great to reminisce but it’s about moving forward and the future. “Back in the day…” it isn’t back in the day, it’s now And looking forward into the future. All you guys, your time is over, there are new kids on the block and they aren’t going to do it the old way, why? Because it’s OLD and outdated. We have cellular technology now, no one owns a landline. But it’s good to know it exists just in case, but that’s just in case. Be excited about a a new and hopefully improved SVSM, not one still living off State Championships ten - twenty years old When most of the current players weren’t even born or in kindergarten/1st grade. Time to innovate and be creative (I know that’s hard for a lot of you so ask your kids or grandkids). Be open to new ideas, new ways of doing things and new ways of thinking. Being boring and stuck in the old way of doing things is why SVSM is where they are now.
I think it's good to have a connection to and an appreciation of the history of the program but that should never hold back progress.

If the Anthony Gary ship has sailed, then yall should reach out to Keith Shinn. If there is any man in the county that can give the yall the fire, the strength, the toughness, and the passion, that they need to go toe-to-toe with Hoban, that man is Keith Shinn.

If you dare...

? Why was it okay for the Irish to play Massillon all them years while they was kicking our arse and never once mention about playing the home game because I remember a couple times them saying that Paul Brown Tiger stadium was they home field because they was winning then the moment they start losing they back off the schedule? Then to top it off you have a big holy war rivalry with Hoban and all of a sudden the series ends because you couldn't win? I have no problem with st v but that's not a good look on they part
$$$$$$$$$

Delone Carter was there for a little while on strength and conditioning. Not sure why he left but he would seem to have some credibility in that area.

Delone Carter was there for a little while on strength and conditioning. Not sure why he left but he would seem to have some credibility in that area.
$$$ plus his son is at Walsh. Grant is a S&C guy so he can wear 2 hats at the moment. Shinn is a great guy, but kids aren’t going to travel to Steelyard and doubt he’d travel to SVSM.
They need to revamp the operational method of strength training. 6 am so ALL players can attend even those in season with other sports. I would even invest in a punch card system so attendance is captured in the beginning. You’ll find out after 2 weeks real who is committed. if parents complain about having to get their kids there at 6, then they aren’t committed and invested too (those will be the first to complain why little Johnny isn’t playing or it’s too much).
Other suggestions:
-Weekly film sessions after other sports practices.
-Monthly team bonding and leadership sessions
-Monthly team success and status meetings (can combine with team bonding)
- Bi-Monthly community outreach events
- Recruiting seminars/forums
- Getting college coaches in the halls actively recruiting players
- Weekly academic progress reports and meetings with players (those with less than 2.5 weekly mandatory weekly tutoring)
- College combines on SVSM campus
- Coaches taking kids to college camps
- Coaches showing up to other sporting events supporting the players
- Player led Bible study
- Bring in speakers, have a members of Army 19th Special Operations Group (NG - Columbus) come out and train players for a few days In leadership and critical thinking.

Let’s be creative here. Other than one thing nothing involves actual football, but it builds the core of trust, teamwork, comraderie and leadership that will serve the boys good during the season. If the coach says this is too much, then SVSM needs another coach.

Now you are stepping on toes. I have a landline. It’s part of my Spectrum bundle. With Spectrum’s pricing structure it’s less expensive to keep than drop. When a company wants a phone number I give them that number because it can’t receive texts, FWIW, I also have a cell phone. 👍

Really feels like The Irish got this right. I’m hearing great things internally and externally. In a short amount of time Coach Grant has connected with the players on the team. With the uncertainty more than a few were at risk of leaving. That appears to no longer be the case. Lots of excitement in the local football community as well. He is building a great coaching staff. Soon Green Street will be a place that talented football players want to come and play.

Really feels like The Irish got this right. I’m hearing great things internally and externally. In a short amount of time Coach Grant has connected with the players on the team. With the uncertainty more than a few were at risk of leaving. That appears to no longer be the case. Lots of excitement in the local football community as well. He is building a great coaching staff. Soon Green Street will be a place that talented football players want to come and play.
Yes he spent a lot of time with Wattley and Boarman so I’m confident he can build a solid foundation. But they have to win in January, February, March, April, and May. He needs to recruit players and have them be committed in the weight room before they can win in November. Even though everyone looks at the 2017 year as a disappointment but we wouldn’t have made it to the state semifinals if the Wattley brothers didn’t push us in the weight room. So I have confidence in Grant to be able to get these things done like Wattley was trying to do.

Yes he spent a lot of time with Wattley and Boarman so I’m confident he can build a solid foundation. But they have to win in January, February, March, April, and May. He needs to recruit players and have them be committed in the weight room before they can win in November. Even though everyone looks at the 2017 year as a disappointment but we wouldn’t have made it to the state semifinals if the Wattley brothers didn’t push us in the weight room. So I have confidence in Grant to be able to get these things done like Wattley was trying to do.
No question about as it relates to Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr

The program needs players from the incoming class of freshmen to commit to the school, especially sons of alumni. Can’t lose them to Walsh again.
So we can play the politics game all over again for the next 4-7 years? How about SVSM just go out and just get ballers regardless of where daddy went to school. Sons of alum just means more more entitlement (whether real or perceived) which is why they are getting demolished. SMH how about we get Massillon or Magadore alums, their parents know more about winning.

So we can play the politics game all over again for the next 4-7 years? How about SVSM just go out and just get ballers regardless of where daddy went to school. Sons of alum just means more more entitlement (whether real or perceived) which is why they are getting demolished. SMH how about we get Massillon or Magadore alums, their parents know more about winning.
Coach Grant is not going to get caught up in the politics. They weren’t used when he played for the Irish (he started as a freshman as he was the best player at his position)….or at Ohio State…or in the NFL.

I think what SeeYa was implying was we can’t lose any good players to the Walsh’s of the world…and especially not the good players whose fathers played for the Irish.

Last edited:
Coach Grant is not going to get caught up in the politics. They weren’t used when he played for the Irish (he started as a freshman as he was the best player at his position)….or at Ohio State…or in the NFL.

I think what SeeYa was implying was we can’t lose any good players to the Walsh’s of the world…and especially not the good players whose fathers played for the Irish.
What if SVSM is better off without alum kids, who might just not be the caliber needed to win or have the right attitude to create a winning culture? My point is drop that attitude that anything associated with alum is better because they sure aren’t opening up their checkbook for the program like Hoban and Walsh.

What if SVSM is better off without alum kids, who might just not be the caliber needed to win or have the right attitude to create a winning culture? My point is drop that attitude that anything associated with alum is better because they sure aren’t opening up their checkbook for the program like Hoban and Walsh.
Obviously you’re new to the Irish. There have been plenty of alums kids who played football for the Irish and sat the bench for 4 years. Coach Grant was not an alum kid…neither was Dante Booker or Paris Campbell or Newman Williams.

Under Coach Grant the best kids are going to play…just like they did when he was there.