Aurora
Barberton
Copley
Cuyahoga Falls
Highland
Kent Roosevelt
Revere
Tallmadge

Who wins the league? What teams are trending up? What teams are trending down?

Last edited:

Hopefully Cuyahoga Falls sole win isn’t against Akron North (again). I do see they scheduled Akron Firestone and Springfield this year. Could be a potential 2-1 or 3-0 start for the Black Tigers.

Final Standings from 2022:

Code:
Highland       (7-0) (12-1)
Tallmadge      (5-2) (9-3)
Aurora         (5-2) (8-4)
Barberton      (5-2) (7-5)
Copley         (2-5) (3-8)
Kent Roosevelt (2-5) (3-7)
Revere         (2-5) (3-7)
Cuyahoga Falls (0-7) (1-9)

The National division is all D1 and D2 (and they're adding a D2 2024 that spent the last few decades as a D1), while the American is D3, smaller D2's, and Cuyahoga Falls, who isn't very competitive.

The National division is all D1 and D2 (and they're adding a D2 2024 that spent the last few decades as a D1), while the American is D3, smaller D2's, and Cuyahoga Falls, who isn't very competitive.
Interesting...I typically follow the league (old Metro guy) and I never noticed that division.

Which division of the Suburban League is considered stronger?
Looking strictly at football, the top 4 in the American have proven they can at least hold their own with the bigger D2s in the National. Highland has owned NoRo for the past decade in their annual rivalry game, and I believe Tallmadge put a running clock on Brecksville in the last year or two. If you picked an all-star team from each division, the National's would likely be stronger because of size and the bottom four in the American aren't very strong programs, but the top 4 (Highland, Tallmadge, Aurora, and Barberton) can play with anyone in NE Ohio.

Looking strictly at football, the top 4 in the American have proven they can at least hold their own with the bigger D2s in the National. Highland has owned NoRo for the past decade in their annual rivalry game, and I believe Tallmadge put a running clock on Brecksville in the last year or two. If you picked an all-star team from each division, the National's would likely be stronger because of size and the bottom four in the American aren't very strong programs, but the top 4 (Highland, Tallmadge, Aurora, and Barberton) can play with anyone in NE Ohio.
Thanks...good stuff. The top 4 you mentioned are the reason I asked.

What are the expectations for Tallmadge now that Dixon and Hurst have graduated?
Cautious. It's going to be an interesting transition. When a team has so many 3 and 4 year starters graduate, it is tough knowing how the next group will perform. There is talent coming through the school right now and the kids have bought into the weight program. It is just wait and see for the fans right now.

What about Barberton? They finished 6-4 in the regular season last year, with a playoff win against Cleveland Rhodes and a playoff lost to Hoban to finish 7-5 overall. Are they losing a good amount of starters? Do they have a lot of kids coming back?

What about Barberton? They finished 6-4 in the regular season last year, with a playoff win against Cleveland Rhodes and a playoff lost to Hoban to finish 7-5 overall. Are they losing a good amount of starters? Do they have a lot of kids coming back?
They lost a good chunk of the offensive and defensive line, along with a couple of solid line backers. The skill positions should be solid. The entire defensive backfield is returning along with the QB, RB and most of the receivers.

Copley had a terrific offense in 2022 along with a bad defense. Can the Indians take a step forward on the defensive side of the ball, and make some noise in 2023?

Copley's prolific QB left to go to Massillon. It will be interesting to see how they replace him.

Here are the all-league players. Please help me with the grades they will be in for the upcoming season.

Co-offensive POY: Lukas Stiles– Highland
Co-offensive POY: Collin Dixon– Tallmadge (Graduated)
Defensive POY: Roosevelt Andrews– Barberton
Punter: Ty Hurst– Tallmadge (Graduated)
Kicker: Trenton Doerflerd– Barberton

First Team:
Creed Hill– Highland
Mitchell Good– Highland
Andrew Tatulinski– Highland
Logan Marquis– Highland
Matthew Ciryak– Highland
Madden Houska– Highland
Chase Crutchley– Highland
Joey Arnold– Aurora
Zach Anzells– Aurora
Cade Fromwiller– Aurora
Alex Tenorio– Aurora
Quinn Gorman– Aurora
Sam Retton– Aurora
Asim Lafeef-Chenault– Barberton
Corey Gibson– Barberton
Avery Macken– Barberton
Dominic Cart– Barberton
Kenny Larry– Barberton
Dajuan Owens– Barberton
Nicolas Cuva– Tallmadge (Graduated)
Cadin McCullough– Tallmadge (Graduated)
Zander Hopkins– Tallmadge (Graduated)
Zachary Robinson– Tallmadge (Graduated)
Vito Paonessa– Tallmadge (SR)
Jackson Daugherty– Tallmadge (Graduated)
D’One Owens– Copley (Transferred to Massillon)
Ben Firestine– Copley
Carter Noel– Copley
Donovan Daetwyler– Roosevelt
Brandon Melin– Roosevelt
Michael Bonanno– Roosevelt
Stuart Klein– Revere
Jagraj Dhillon– Revere
Sam Li– Revere
Tristan Ohler– Cuyahoga Falls

Second Team:
Ryan Angeloff– Barberton
Robert Davis– Barberton
Noah Dehart– Barberton
Xzavier Macon– Barberton
Matthew Haney– Highland
Johnny Siliko– Highland
Zach Waibel– Highland
Brody Davis– Highland
Noah Robinson– Highland
Zach Nemet– Aurora
Rocco Courtrad– Aurora
Matt Geier– Aurora
Enzo Catania– Aurora
Gino Spano– Tallmadge (Graduated)
Ameer Yasin– Tallmadge (JR)
Seth Yacobucci– Tallmadge (Graduated)
Keagan Gilbride– Tallmadge (JR)
Zach Olechhlowicz– Revere
Thomas Christman– Revere
Brandon Read– Revere
Merit Wagstaff– Revere
Wes Antwi– Copley
DeVon Nixon– Copley
Trent Wininger– Copley
Aidan Bradford– Copley
Hunter Glenny– Cuyahoga Falls
Valentino Cargill– Cuyahoga Falls
Jon Jon Smith– Roosevelt
Jack Reed– Roosevelt
Marcus Boyd– Roosevelt
Cameron Dent– Roosevelt

Honorable Mention:
Ben Frarn– Highland
Sahvon Hollis– Highland
Jaekell Springer– Barberton
Kieron Smith– Barberton
Dane Leon– Tallmadge (Graduated)
Benjamin Ahwajee– Tallmadge (Graduated)
Dominic Trivisonno– Aurora
Jayce Underverth– Aurora
Lucan Tielsh– Copley
Scooby Standford– Copley
Rowan Klein– Revere
Jefferson McKinnon– Revere
Justin Schwaben– Roosevelt
Tyler Ellington– Roosevelt
Daniel Masl– Cuyahoga Falls
Jaydon Graffuis– Cuyahoga Falls

Last edited:
They lost a good chunk of the offensive and defensive line, along with a couple of solid line backers. The skill positions should be solid. The entire defensive backfield is returning along with the QB, RB and most of the receivers.
Gotcha. I have many family members that are Barberton alumni including my mother so I try and follow them somewhat. The stadium is beautiful as well. I try to at-least make a game once a year at Rudy Sharkey Stadium.

Gotcha. I have many family members that are Barberton alumni including my mother so I try and follow them somewhat. The stadium is beautiful as well. I try to at-least make a game once a year at Rudy Sharkey Stadium.
They put a new score board in this summer, all digital should be nice
IMG_20230616_114818_01.jpg

I think it's gonna be a three horse race between Highland, Tallmadge, and Aurora.

The Greenmen are good at reloading year after year. Cautiously optimistic that Tallmadge can continue their success from last season, and Highland should be pretty good.

What are the expectations for Revere and Kent Roosevelt?Not super familiar with there programs.I know typically speaking they aren’t good in football.

Revere is a program that will make dramatic progress in the next few years. Very young roster, great numbers in their youth and middle school programs, good leader as head coach (Bobby Nickol), and great facilities.

One more thing, former Woodridge coach Jeff Decker will now be a part of Aurora's staff. Great addition!!

What are the expectations for Revere and Kent Roosevelt?Not super familiar with there programs.I know typically speaking they aren’t good in football.
KR was a very good program up until about 2014 when HOF coach John Nemic resigned (forced out by woke admin) and they left the PTC Metro for the new suburban league. New AD was brought in from the outside who had no interest in the community and how that success was achieved and maintained under the former head coach and also other coaches in related sports (Basketball coach Black who retired 2012). Protégés were passed over that could have kept the program steady for cronies of the woke admin who failed miserably (3 FB coaches in like 3 years) and bad hires in BB as well. When this occurred the local talent either quit playing or left for bordering public and Private school programs. Put all that together with the tougher Suburban league programs and you get mediocracy at best.

Good news is somebody finally "woke" up and invested in new facilities, Turf field, weight room, new gym and new coaches. The new head FB coach and staff are all John Nemic kids from within the community. New head BB coach is son of former head coach Cameron Black. All of these coaches are invested in the community at the youth level and all were winners at KR. Look for a quick rise in both programs in the upcoming seasons.

Interestingly, I think it is good for school to hop back and forth to conferences that are a good fit for their program. I would say that Kent Roosevelt is a little overwhelmed in the SLA while they were a bit too big for the PTC. Hopefully the recent changes bring them more success in the SLA.

Interestingly, I think it is good for school to hop back and forth to conferences that are a good fit for their program. I would say that Kent Roosevelt is a little overwhelmed in the SLA while they were a bit too big for the PTC. Hopefully the recent changes bring them more success in the SLA.
I feel pretty strongly the changes will at minimum get them back to at least middle of the pack and they will be competitive. I don't know they can be Aurora/Highland type year in and year out but football wise I can see them being like Barberton. Very similar in ways. There were multiple starters playing at Stow the last few years that wouldn't have been there under different circumstances. The new coaches will also get many more kids out and get the numbers up.

As stated above, the "woke" idea was a horrible move led by previous AD. Now the current AD is a Kent grad and thoroughly invested in the community. Wins might not come right away but they should get numbers up and the community support will follow.

I think that Kent had the right coach with Alan Vanderink. Still not sure why he left. He seemed like a good program builder.

I think that Kent had the right coach with Alan Vanderink. Still not sure why he left. He seemed like a good program builder.
Totally disagree. Numbers were down and not coming up. Middle School was a mess. Wasn't in tune with community at all. Best season was what? 5-5?

By the years
5-5
4-3
2-7
3-7

Kent is similar to Barberton where the dynamics of the community are quite different than the other schools in the league.

He was a far better fit community wise in Tallmadge.

Totally disagree. Numbers were down and not coming up. Middle School was a mess. Wasn't in tune with community at all. Best season was what? 5-5?

By the years
5-5
4-3
2-7
3-7

Kent is similar to Barberton where the dynamics of the community are quite different than the other schools in the league.

He was a far better fit community wise in Tallmadge.