State Track Meet 2024

I don't know it certainly shouldn't be the timing company (they should update runners in results if officals marked on the relay card) as far as I know there is no official looking at that. My guess only way that someone would be caught running 5 events is by another team's coach.
I would think this SHOULD be the timing company. The scorer is an official in the rule book (not all officials have to be registered officials). Hy-Tek makes it very easy to check the number of events each person competed.

Though, like I said, without some help from the clerks, it's hard to verify relay names are correct.

I would think this SHOULD be the timing company. The scorer is an official in the rule book (not all officials have to be registered officials). Hy-Tek makes it very easy to check the number of events each person competed.

Though, like I said, without some help from the clerks, it's hard to verify relay names are correct.
So people that have zero training on track rules and are there because they know how to run software should be the one to DQ athletes. That is like the clock operator at basketball game telling a player he has to leave the court after 5th foul.

I can understand if the official requests an event participation report (if such report exists) from Hy-Tek from the timing company and the official reviews it to make sure nobody participated in 5 events. At districts there are a few officials that stand or sit around nearly the entire meet would have the time.

So people that have zero training on track rules and are there because they know how to run software should be the one to DQ athletes. That is like the clock operator at basketball game telling a player he has to leave the court after 5th foul.
Not at all.
First, only two officials have the ability to disqualify a competitor in high school track and field: the starter and the referee.

So, like any other possible rules violation, I would expect a scorer to run the report and if they find a problem, report it to the referee who can do some more investigation if needed.

Keep the timing companies out of this fracas. Not what they are contracted for. This is one of the reasons I'm not a proponent of the 30-minute rule in signing off on official results after conclusion of the last event. I think 24 hours is a far more reasonable time period; however, I understand the desire "knowing" who won a.s.a.p. However, even at the world level, results are amended regardless of when the infractions are found. No reason why this shouldn't happend at the HS level, too. I'm in favor of a "death" penalty for the team committing this infraction. If they've been found to used someone in more than than four events in a single meet, then that team should be ineligible for continuining in the state meet tournament. If it was done at the state meet, the team results should be eliminated. That'll teach coaches to get their crap together.

I don't understand the reluctance to asking the timing companies to run this one report. Again, they may or may not be a registered official, but those people are officials. Just like the countless moms and dads who run field events, or those who used to run a stopwatch at the finish line, the announcer, the custodian of awards. These are all officials with defined duties in the rule book. The timing company is an independent contractor, just like the registered officials are. If they are only contracted to time the meet and not score it, then I agree, it's not their job. But, if they are contracted to score the meet, this is part of those duties. Run the report and give it to the referee if something looks off. It's really not that hard.

As for the time limit:
1. The 30 minute rule for a protest/appeal is for a misapplication of the rules.
2. There are 48 hours to correct a clerical error. e.g. You get home and look online and notice that your discus thrower shows they are 10 feet shorter than what you believe it should be. You have 48 hours to ask the referee/meet director to review the mark written on the score sheet and see if it got typed in incorrectly into the computer.
3. Correction of meet results involving an ineligible participant can be made at any time.

Not a perfect analogy by any means, but I don’t believe there are any official checks of how many quarters/games kids play in football or basketball, either. What would the penalty be for a track kid running five events? Team disqualification? To me, that’d be a pretty strong deterrent assuming other schools’ coaches have an eye on things.
Every event that kid is in is a DQ. All five. It's happened before and the Regional level. A kid runs 2 individual events and then runs prelims for the 4x200, and on finals day runs 4x100 and 4x400 and all 5 of the events are done.

Now, we have 8 names we can put on the relay cards. I have a lot of cross over in all the relays. I use a lot of the kids and have to make sure I keep track of it. When I entered the District, I put in the relay I thought I would be running in each. Things changed and I ran some alternates. At least one of my relays and maybe more, went from the District to the Regional with a runner that did not run. If you go back and look at the results, it looks like he ran in 5 events when he did not. Another team came into the Regional with the same situation. Top kid ran 3 individual events and they ran him in one relay, but the results show he ran in two relays. If you are putting out results, they should match the relay cards. It should be accurate to what a kid ran. Can let it slide at an invite, but not District, Regional and Sate.

Last edited:
Keep the timing companies out of this fracas. Not what they are contracted for. This is one of the reasons I'm not a proponent of the 30-minute rule in signing off on official results after conclusion of the last event. I think 24 hours is a far more reasonable time period; however, I understand the desire "knowing" who won a.s.a.p. However, even at the world level, results are amended regardless of when the infractions are found. No reason why this shouldn't happend at the HS level, too. I'm in favor of a "death" penalty for the team committing this infraction. If they've been found to used someone in more than than four events in a single meet, then that team should be ineligible for continuining in the state meet tournament. If it was done at the state meet, the team results should be eliminated. That'll teach coaches to get their crap together.
I wouldn't classify that as the death penalty. To me the death penalty would be everything you laid out plus a ban from participating in track for x years afterwards.

I can understand if the official requests an event participation report (if such report exists) from Hy-Tek from the timing company and the official reviews it to make sure nobody participated in 5 events. At districts there are a few officials that stand or sit around nearly the entire meet would have the time.
I would say its more like the guy keeping the book telling the ref that the foul is the players fifth.

I would say its more like the guy keeping the book telling the ref that the foul is the players fifth.
That's exactly what it is like.

Should the score keeper not keep track of fouls, or possession or the score?

The individual events are static. There are no changes there once the District prelims start. The relays are the only events that can have changes. Those changes should be accurate.

Last edited:
Lakota West foursome of Kenyon Norman, Amare Minor, Reco Mason and Joel Nimoh won the 4 X 100 relay in 41.67
They set a new school record in the prelims with the fastest qualifying time to the finals of 41.5

1718045323824.png

Last edited:
So, like any other possible rules violation, I would expect a scorer to run the report and if they find a problem, report it to the referee who can do some more investigation if needed.
I already acknowledged if the officials want a report yes the timing company should run a report but I have never seen or ever heard of an official requesting that information. Running a report is way different than the timing company DQ'ing a runner as you stated earlier.

psyco you are correct that the timing company should make sure the right relay runners are listed but as I stated we had the official hand over the relay cards with some cards not having check marks or only have 3 people checked. In that case have to leave who was originally listed.

The timing company was not in charge of the hytek scoring system at state meet as it was an OHSAA official that was running that. They were checking for athletes that were entered into too many events. Hytek also tells you if you try to add an athlete into a relay and they already have 4 events. Also, as a timing company (finishtiming, buckeye timing, cant stop timing)we are all registered ohsaa officials.