State Track Meet 2024

EuclidandViren

I am starting a thread to help people and try to finagle around Welcome Stadium.

Parking, team camps, athlete check-in, passes, discus throws area, etc. I want to hear some feedback before I go on Friday night.

There will be chaos due to the uncertainty surrounding the new location. I want to limit the chaos on my part.

What is the feeling on Thursday and what recommendations do you have for athletes and teams?

Thanks.

If not done already, probably want to browse the OHSAA webpage for this year's meet. I think it addresses some of your questions:
As for discus throw area, it is across the street by the Marriott Courtyard Hotel. The facility diagram has an arrow pointing to it:

Most restaurant selection would on Brown Street near University of Dayton which is not convenient walking distant. Enjoy the gem city!

In D3 Wade Bolin from Ashland Crestview tossed the discus 187-10 (PR) to place 1st, Jack Knapke from ML look took 2nd with a PR of 177-1. On the girl's side Izzy Zahn from Coldwater ran a 24.06 to place 1st in qualifying for the 200 and Delaney Jones from West Liberty Salem ran a blazing 11.89 to lead all sprinters in the girls 100-meter dash.

Edit: Bolin also won the shot put with a heave of 58-3.

Last edited:
In looking at the 4x800 (boys), this was the first time above 8 minutes since 2006, the year before Yellow Springs set the current record of 7:48.39, and only the 3rd time above 8 minutes since 1997 when sub-8 became the norm. Interesting.

In D3 Wade Bolin from Ashland Crestview tossed the discus 187-10 (PR) to place 1st, Jack Knapke from ML look took 2nd with a PR of 177-1. On the girl's side Izzy Zahn from Coldwater ran a 24.06 to place 1st in qualifying for the 200 and Delaney Jones from West Liberty Salem ran a blazing 11.89 to lead all sprinters in the girls 100-meter dash.

Zahn's 24.06 was both a State D3 meet and all-time D3 record!

Delaney Jones' 11.89 was wind-aided, however.

Also interesting in the girls' D3 long jump. Izzy Zahn (Coldwater) and Lexi Tucci (Sandy Valley) tied for top spot distance-wise with matching 18' 7 3/4" jumps. Zahn got the win as she had the 2nd best jump, 18' 4 3/4" to Tucci's 18' 2".

Wade Bolin (Ashland Crestview) scored the double-win with 187' 10" (PB) and 58' 3".

Bolin doubles up with a win the shot.

In looking at the 4x800 (boys), this was the first time above 8 minutes since 2006, the year before Yellow Springs set the current record of 7:48.39, and only the 3rd time above 8 minutes since 1997 when sub-8 became the norm. Interesting.
Also from that boys 4x8, this was the 1st time in the era of scoring 8 places at State that Region 9 failed to score in the event. This past fall was the weakest I've ever seen the NE region for boys cross country. Coincidence? Probably not. Post COVID, most coaches I know at the smaller schools have watched their programs struggle with participation numbers and as an extension of that, a lack of quality depth has been an issue for many of them.

Also from that boys 4x8, this was the 1st time in the era of scoring 8 places at State that Region 9 failed to score in the event. This past fall was the weakest I've ever seen the NE region for boys cross country. Coincidence? Probably not. Post COVID, most coaches I know at the smaller schools have watched their programs struggle with participation numbers and as an extension of that, a lack of quality depth has been an issue for many of them.
Sorry to learn of that. I still hold the opinion that the class of 2020 was screwed out of their spring season, not due to Covid, but by the ridiculous response to it by certain powers-that-be. I'll never be disuaded of that. However, moving forward, I sincerely hope that numbers come back up!

Also interesting in the girls' D3 long jump. Izzy Zahn (Coldwater) and Lexi Tucci (Sandy Valley) tied for top spot distance-wise with matching 18' 7 3/4" jumps. Zahn got the win as she had the 2nd best jump, 18' 4 3/4" to Tucci's 18' 2".

Wade Bolin (Ashland Crestview) scored the double-win with 187' 10" (PB) and 58' 3".
Tucci won the HJ with a jump of 5’6”. She missed double gold by a tie breaker!

Sorry to learn of that. I still hold the opinion that the class of 2020 was screwed out of their spring season, not due to Covid, but by the ridiculous response to it by certain powers-that-be. I'll never be disuaded of that. However, moving forward, I sincerely hope that numbers come back up!
The other issue here is that enrollments at the majority of schools in Ohio are decreasing. That puts a big strain on the D3 schools that are already small enough as it is.

I will note that, if there’s any poetic justice to this sad reality, the state champion is the school that has consistently been one of the smallest in D3 for the past decade.

Not taking a position as to whether they’d have been good enough to win if T&F was four divisions (namely because I don’t know, also because I’m not sure if it would have truncated whatever size gap there may have been previously.) It is fortunate that the stars aligned the way they did.

Toby Kremer (ML) who finished 4th at the Troy Regional wins D3 state PV (15-4), best Kremer did during the season was 14-6, I believe. Marion Local won the D4 title with 51 pts. winning two events PV and 4x200. Flyer's strength was the relays winning the 4x200 and finishing 2nd in the 4x100 and 4x400.

Last edited:
If you did not see the race, Ben Gabelman of Westerville North had a phenomenal finish to snatch victory from Massilon Jackson, 7:39.91 to 7:40.02. Very close finish. Also a fast race. We were 6th with a 7:43.89 and 7:48.44 didn't make the podium.

D1 boys' 4x800m - Best times ever for the following places in an Ohio HS race:

3rd - 7:41.38 - Lexington
5th - 7:43.80 - St. Xavier
6th - 7:43.89 - Dublin Coffman
7th - 7:44.33 - Centeville
8th - 7:46.49 - Mason

1st & 2nd placers Westerville North & Massillon Jackson, respectively, move to the #6 & #8 on the all-time team rankings (fastest mark ever made by a particular school, regardless of the team members).

Best marks-for-place in an Ohio boys' 4x800m race:

1st - 7:36.33 - St. Xavier, State, 2014
2nd - 7:39.93 - Dublin Coffman, State, 2016
3rd - 7:41.38 - Lexington, State, 2024
4th - 7:42.20 - Wadsworth, State, 2017
5th - 7:43.80 - St. Xavier, State, 2024
6th - 7:43.89 - Dublin Coffman, State, 2024
7th - 7:44.33 - Centeville, State, 2024
8th - 7:46.49 - Mason, State, 2024

Best marks-for-place in an Ohio boys' 4x800m race:

1st - 7:36.33 - St. Xavier, State, 2014
2nd - 7:39.93 - Dublin Coffman, State, 2016
3rd - 7:41.38 - Lexington, State, 2024
4th - 7:42.20 - Wadsworth, State, 2017
5th - 7:43.80 - St. Xavier, State, 2024
6th - 7:43.89 - Dublin Coffman, State, 2024
7th - 7:44.33 - Centeville, State, 2024
8th - 7:46.49 - Mason, State, 2024
Thanks for all the work you put in on these records.

Do not like location of the discus and the fact you need to leave stadium to get to other side to watch other events (shot,pole vault, and long jump) are opposite from finish line.

Does Ohio have a rule against an injured athlete walking their event to claim 8th place and 1 point? I ask because of the Wayne boys' situation.

Congratulations to Mateo Medina of Elyria winning the 3 sprints and the D1 state championship (30 points) all by himself

Per Jonathan Simmons at Cleveland.com

DAYTON, Ohio — "It had been 26 years since a team champion at the OHSAA state track and field meet was just a single athlete. Elyria’s Mateo Medina became just the sixth athlete to pull it off Saturday when he won the 100, 200 and 400 to give his school the team title by himself."

Last edited: