State Track Meet 2024

I am a distant relative of the Harkelroad kid from Huron that was involved in the giant mishap in the D2 300 H. My question.....what are the factors that go into the decision to completely re-run the race (minus the kid that was DQd)? I have only a casual knowledge of track.

I see the wind was terrible for the sprint events. Head wind almost every race.
It was. Became stronger later in the afternoon as the front approached and pushed up more southerly winds. Welcome's never been known as "wind friendly". Lots of turbulent flow.

Does Ohio have a rule against an injured athlete walking their event to claim 8th place and 1 point? I ask because of the Wayne boys' situation.
This was also the case in the D3 girls’ 200 meter dash. I don’t understand a DNS at that point. The affected team had no chance of winning the meet, but one point could have pulled them into a tie for fourth. Not a big enough deal? Or maybe there was a catastrophic injury?

I am a distant relative of the Harkelroad kid from Huron that was involved in the giant mishap in the D2 300 H. My question.....what are the factors that go into the decision to completely re-run the race (minus the kid that was DQd)? I have only a casual knowledge of track.
The referees have a lot of latitude. Referees are reluctant to do a re-run because it is rarely fair to all the participants. They have to weigh the disadvantage placed upon the interfered with participant(s) against the disadvantage another race entails to the original place winners, record setters, etc. In this case, they felt the disadvantage placed on the runners in lane 4 and 5 was enough to re-run the entire race. I saw the footage and it was a questionable decision. But, their ruling is final and there isn’t any appeal process.
I think in this re-run not everyone participated since the weren’t really threats to win and they just let their original times stand.

Does Ohio have a rule against an injured athlete walking their event to claim 8th place and 1 point? I ask because of the Wayne boys' situation.
Imo, if an athlete is able to qualify for the state finals they should get a point regardless if they can compete in the finals.

Especially in the case of an event where the athlete had to qualify in 5 postseason races just to get to that point.

I'm not completely surprised Elyria won the D1 title because I thought Mateo Medina was going to get his triple and Wayne was the only team with a clear shot at going over 30, but It probably should have been a shared title.

With that, it's not like Wayne isn't a huge favorite to win possibly the next three "team" titles so this one probably just prevented a four peat, even though Wayne by far was the best state level team this year.

I kind of have a similar take on the D2 team race. The DQ by Richards on the state record run in the 300 hurdles was unfortunate but he absolutely (by being so far ahead) shook up 2-3-4 positions when he knocked the final hurdle over and caused the pile up. You have to DQ him because of that, but that did cost Glenville a share of the title. But like Wayne, Glenville will probably be back again next year ... and they only have what 15 team titles anyway.

Last edited:
The referees have a lot of latitude. Referees are reluctant to do a re-run because it is rarely fair to all the participants. They have to weigh the disadvantage placed upon the interfered with participant(s) against the disadvantage another race entails to the original place winners, record setters, etc. In this case, they felt the disadvantage placed on the runners in lane 4 and 5 was enough to re-run the entire race. I saw the footage and it was a questionable decision. But, their ruling is final and there isn’t any appeal process.
I think in this re-run not everyone participated since the weren’t really threats to win and they just let their original times stand.
You're right. There were 3 kids that elected to re-run the race.

The referees explained the options available via the rule & case book to the respective coaches. All athletes were given the option to re-run, but some did not. Here's what happened in the initial race:

In lane 6, Brayden Richards whacked the last hurdle HARD, causing him to stumble, but he finished in record time. However, because his hurdle tumbled into lane 5, Harkelroad (Huron) stumbled badly, but did just managed to finish as he crashed to the ground. However, in tumbling to the ground at the finish, he interfered with Lipscomb in lane 4, who crashed into the ground before the finish line and only got up nearly 20 seconds later to finish. The other athletes were clear of the wreckage.

So, when the options were presented to the coaches & athletes, 3 chose to re-run the race: Harkelroad in lane 5, Lipscomb in lane 4, and Ethan Cole (Bath) in lane 1. The others retained their initial times. The risk that the 3 took in re-running was that the new time would erase their initial result. For Harkelroad, there was nothing to lose and only the world to gain as Huron's team championship was on the line. Lipscomb, who was 2nd in the initial race (after Richards DQ) despite having the hurdle knocked into his lane, took an enormous risk in losing a probable 2nd place. Cole had nothing to lose either, basically, having to run in lane 1. In the end, Lipscomb lost 2nd place and ended up in 4th after the re-run. Harkelroad edged out sophomore Marcus Hubanks (Batavia) for 2nd by 0.002 seconds.

As I said, all athletes were informed of the options and chose themselves as to whether they would re-run or not.

Mateo Medina's (Elyria) 45.88 second win in the 400m yesterday makes him only the 3rd Ohio boy under 46 seconds. Here are the sub-46 clockings in Ohio history.

45.36 - Chris Nelloms (Dayton Dunbar), International Prep (@Elmhurst, IL), 16 Jun 1990
45.43 - Nelloms, World Junior Champs (@Plovdiv, Bulgaria), 10 Aug 1990
45.53 - Nelloms, International Junior Games (@ OSU), 29 Jul 1990
45.59 - Nelloms, State, 2 Jun 1990
45.65 - Justin Braun (Westerville Ctrl), Region 3, 27 May 2022
45.80 - Nelloms, State, 4 Jun 1988
45.88 - Mateo Medina (Elyria), State (@ Dayton), 1 Jun 2024
45.93 - Nelloms, World Juniors (sf #1), 9 Aug 1990

Next great pole vaulter from Turpin is a female, Claire Iaciofano, who won the state title in 12'4" as a sophomore

1717339352725.png

Photo: Geoff Blankenship for the Enquirer

Her best this year was 12'7" at the Mason District meet.

Last edited:
Next great pole vaulter from Turpin is a female, Claire Iaciofano, who won the state title in 12'4" as a sophomore

View attachment 59403
Photo: Geoff Blankenship for the Enquirer

Her best this year was 12'7" at the Mason District meet.
She gets her legs straight up above her hips and learns to turn properly she'll add a easy 6-8inches to her height. Only seen High Jumpers go over the bar that way.

This photo is from the 2024 state meet, previous photo was taken at the 2023 district meet. (Photo credit is Geoff Blankenship). If you compare this photo to the one in #40, you can see her improvement from last year where her best outdoors was 11'6" and now is 12'7" She has two more years to chase the city record of 13'0¾"
1717358695948.png

Last edited:
Little Ole Lowellville had a pretty good state meet. Michael Ballone ran a phenomenal time in the 300H and that Lowellville 4x4 was lightning fast. Would like to see where they land on an All-time D3 time list for the 4x4.

I look forward to being back at the Jesse O next year.

Little Ole Lowellville had a pretty good state meet. Michael Ballone ran a phenomenal time in the 300H and that Lowellville 4x4 was lightning fast. Would like to see where they land on an All-time D3 time list for the 4x4.

I look forward to being back at the Jesse O next year.
Time was faster than the winning time in D2 4x4.

Not that I'm aware of.

I recall an injured D3 100m runner a few years ago who reaggravated a back problem during his prelim but was able to qualify for the final. He then "jogged" the final in order to earn a medal. His "jog" was faster than I could sprint 100m, mind you. It's quite possible he would not have taken the start, but another finalist had scratched due to a more severe injury, so this competitor knew he was guaranteed a medal if he could finish the race.

Glad (I believe track will stay with 3 divisions) argument to be made for a 4th division - smaller D1 schools and big D2 schools combined. However, leave D3 alone.

Did not appreciate the large time break between D2 Finals and D1 Finals on Saturday, hopefully that is a 1 year thing.

Must say that my interactions with the officials this year and staff at the facility was much more laid back, helpful and kinder than it has been in the past. It was like that at Jesse Owens last year as well. Seems like a effort by meet management to be more laid back.

I do have a couple of gripes that I don't understand at the District and Regional Level. My relays were not accurately reflected in the results. Same as a couple of other teams I looked at coming into the Regional. I used different kids from Prelims to finals and they were not accurate in the results. The bigger issue, is that a kid I had on the card for 3 of the relays, was not used at all in one, but showed up in the results. Makes it look like he ran 5 events. He did not. Same with some kids from other schools. I know when I helped at the District meets with a timing company, I made sure every teams relay cards were accurately put into the results before the results were posted. Is this not a requirement?

All I can say is that I try to correct the relay names that were provided online with those on the card or whomever checked into the clerk every meet, including both Districts that I was in the press box for. I'm sure not every meet manager/scorer knows to do this.

I also can verify that the clerks do not always mark the names on the card showing who actually reported, which can make that job difficult. (This did not happen at the two districts I was a part of.)

I do have a couple of gripes that I don't understand at the District and Regional Level. My relays were not accurately reflected in the results. Same as a couple of other teams I looked at coming into the Regional. I used different kids from Prelims to finals and they were not accurate in the results. The bigger issue, is that a kid I had on the card for 3 of the relays, was not used at all in one, but showed up in the results. Makes it look like he ran 5 events. He did not. Same with some kids from other schools. I know when I helped at the District meets with a timing company, I made sure every teams relay cards were accurately put into the results before the results were posted. Is this not a requirement?
I don't know if it is a requirement but the district meet I helped time we checked the cards and made changes based on who was checked. But the officials really take no interest what is happening with the timing system or what the results will say unless there is a complaint so unless a coach says something they will not do anything about it. What was surprising was the number of cards we got with no names or only 3 names checked by the officials.

All I can say is that I try to correct the relay names that were provided online with those on the card or whomever checked into the clerk every meet, including both Districts that I was in the press box for. I'm sure not every meet manager/scorer knows to do this.

I also can verify that the clerks do not always mark the names on the card showing who actually reported, which can make that job difficult. (This did not happen at the two districts I was a part of.)
I don't know if it is a requirement but the district meet I helped time we checked the cards and made changes based on who was checked. But the officials really take no interest what is happening with the timing system or what the results will say unless there is a complaint so unless a coach says something they will not do anything about it. What was surprising was the number of cards we got with no names or only 3 names checked by the officials.
So, who is checking to see if someone in fact ran too many events? If they aren't coordinating with the results, how do they know? With 8 names , it is very easy to have someone listed in 5 events but only run in 4.

I don't know what to tell you. I can only be responsible for myself and (to a point) the meets I'm involved with.

So, who is checking to see if someone in fact ran too many events? If they aren't coordinating with the results, how do they know? With 8 names , it is very easy to have someone listed in 5 events but only run in 4.
I don't know it certainly shouldn't be the timing company (they should update runners in results if officals marked on the relay card) as far as I know there is no official looking at that. My guess only way that someone would be caught running 5 events is by another team's coach.

It always surprised me how there is no officials directly overseeing the timing/results yet there is like 6+ that watch the 100 for violations.

I don't know what to tell you. I can only be responsible for myself and (to a point) the meets I'm involved with.
I don't know it certainly shouldn't be the timing company (they should update runners in results if officals marked on the relay card) as far as I know there is no official looking at that. My guess only way that someone would be caught running 5 events is by another team's coach.

It always surprised me how there is no officials directly overseeing the timing/results yet there is like 6+ that watch the 100 for violations.
I'm sort of perplexed now. Seems like a fairly substantial oversight.

I'm sort of perplexed now. Seems like a fairly substantial oversight.
Not a perfect analogy by any means, but I don’t believe there are any official checks of how many quarters/games kids play in football or basketball, either. What would the penalty be for a track kid running five events? Team disqualification? To me, that’d be a pretty strong deterrent assuming other schools’ coaches have an eye on things.

Not a perfect analogy by any means, but I don’t believe there are any official checks of how many quarters/games kids play in football or basketball, either. What would the penalty be for a track kid running five events? Team disqualification? To me, that’d be a pretty strong deterrent assuming other schools’ coaches have an eye on things.
This and who cares? I doubt very many coaches do.

Last edited:
Yes. The NFHS rule book penalty for too many events is that all the points earned by that competitor are deducted from the team score (you don't move others up in the scoring at this point) and the individual's awards should be reclaimed. The OHSAA also considers this use of an ineligible athlete, meaning the contest is forfeited and any team awards should not be granted either.