Springboro seeks 7th Coach in 10 years

Springboro has actually played in 3 D1 District finals winning 1 in the last 10 years, losing to Moeller in 2020. The last 3 hires had 1 year of Head coaching experience which is a recipe for complete failure. Boro Football or Girls basketball would never hire a young unproven JV coach cincy outsider non teacher with no head coaching experience. Kostoff had no prior Varsity head coaching experience and ran some form of the stubborn slow down princeton offense which was awful. After Kostoff, the players seemed happy, free and became a very tough out late in the year. They bring back 4 of their top 5 players in Greer, White, Grevey and Brown. All of them guards and 3 of those guys can shoot over 40% from 3. Greer could be a Mr. Basketball type player in Ohio. This is a hidden Gem program with a great feeder system and youth program. Tons and tons of athletes in this district. Too much talent in this Springboro to have this problem, sounds like there has been alot of interest from high level coaches in SWOhio for this job to coach in the best league in the state of Ohio ... The GWOC
Best league? C’mon take Centerville away, and a resurgent Fairmont, and it is a joke. Dayton D1 basketball has been able to muster a very good team every couple of years, but always the majority of the teams sucked. How about the GCL South, the GMC, the Federal League, the Ohio Capital Conference, etc, etc, etc. as much stronger leagues? You need to get out more.

Best league? C’mon take Centerville away, and a resurgent Fairmont, and it is a joke. Dayton D1 basketball has been able to muster a very good team every couple of years, but always the majority of the teams sucked. How about the GCL South, the GMC, the Federal League, the Ohio Capital Conference, etc, etc, etc. as much stronger leagues? You need to get out more.
Aside from the post you responded to about Springboro which I agree has underperformed based on available players and coaching turmoil, I'll say this. Not sure what you're basing your opinion on and that's ok. But have the top teams from the conferences you mentioned come play Wayne, Centerville, and Springfield home and home every year and that's a tough schedule. Plus Fairmont is going to be a good team for quite a while given the school size and coaching. Others pop up too based on a few key players whcih BCreek seems to do on a regular basis.

Why such a knee-jerk reaction? Not saying you're a jerk lol.

Take away the top teams on most conferences and what do you have? A conference of teams who get beat by the top teams. Again lol

"Youker was 32-41, but advanced in the tourney all three years. His first year they were 8-16, then 11-13, and his last 13-12. Nice steady improvement that should have been allowed to continue."

I think we agree, the problem with Springboro is in the parents/admin/kids, not the coaches.

"Youker was 32-41, but advanced in the tourney all three years. His first year they were 8-16, then 11-13, and his last 13-12. Nice steady improvement that should have been allowed to continue."

I think we agree, the problem with Springboro is in the parents/admin/kids, not the coaches.
I don't think the kids are the problem, the parents and administrators are all trying to influence preferred outcomes. Somewhere along the line people forgot this is a game played by kids.

Aside from the post you responded to about Springboro which I agree has underperformed based on available players and coaching turmoil, I'll say this. Not sure what you're basing your opinion on and that's ok. But have the top teams from the conferences you mentioned come play Wayne, Centerville, and Springfield home and home every year and that's a tough schedule. Plus Fairmont is going to be a good team for quite a while given the school size and coaching. Others pop up too based on a few key players whcih BCreek seems to do on a regular basis.

Take away the top teams on most conferences and what do you have? A conference of teams who get beat by the top teams. Again lol
Like I said, a couple of teams and the rest, average at best. By the way Springfield will continue to decline under the present coach. A lot of talk, nothing to show for it. Future for Wayne since Trice is still uncertain. Fairmont, very good year, but I don’t get too excited over one season. That leaves Centerville. To make that claim after the GCL South has dominated southwest Ohio for the last 25 years is pretty silly.

lol. Wrong on most accounts.
Well no parents went after Holweger to get him fired(which he wasn’t) abs has an stellar reputation among many generations of former HS players,college coaches, fellow teachers, parents and community members. Sure you will have a handful of naysayers but he is a gold standard.and it’s ok to smile in basketball, sone coaches even encourage it
Lol

So your saying there’s not a systemic problem with parents being too involved? Hold backs, complaining to administrators, and willingness to accept tough coaching?

Also, I disagree about your take on Holweger-he vs was a great guy, but most all of the parents complained about his desire to make the kids accountable and be a good teammate. I didn’t think it was warranted, but it was there a lot.
Bwahaha

Prior to this year, when was the gwoc so tough?

The OCC has so many teams that it is tough to compare to the GWOC. You could cherry pick only the top teams to try to argue the OCC is better than the GWOC, but there also some really weak OCC teams that would go 0'fer in the GWOC.

I'd love to see some more GWOC vs GMC battles. I think the GWOC has been better the past several years but there haven't been enough games between the two conferences to definitively say. One data point is the tournament, where the GWOC is 9-3 against the GMC the last five years.

I wouldn't say that the GWOC is the best league, but for the last several years they've done well in the tournament against Cincinnati teams including the GCL excluding a few years against Moeller when they were a behemoth of a juggernaut. There has usually been 3-4 higher quality teams depending on Fairmont, with Wayne, Springfield and Centerville reliably being good. It's typically solid or better for being an 8 team league in basketball.

Redandgold probably doesn't realise he made an excellent case for this being a really important hire for Springboro. Springfield is way down, and I actually agree with him, I don't see them being what they were for a good chunk of the 2010s with their current coach. Wayne is a bit of a wildcard and at least will likely not be as consistently good year to year the further they get away from the Trice era. There's a window of opportunity at the moment for Fairmont, Beavercreek, Springboro, etc. to fill the void and rise towards the top of the league.

I wouldn't say that the GWOC is the best league, but for the last several years they've done well in the tournament against Cincinnati teams including the GCL excluding a few years against Moeller when they were a behemoth of a juggernaut. There has usually been 3-4 higher quality teams depending on Fairmont, with Wayne, Springfield and Centerville reliably being good. It's typically solid or better for being an 8 team league in basketball.

Redandgold probably doesn't realise he made an excellent case for this being a really important hire for Springboro. Springfield is way down, and I actually agree with him, I don't see them being what they were for a good chunk of the 2010s with their current coach. Wayne is a bit of a wildcard and at least will likely not be as consistently good year to year the further they get away from the Trice era. There's a window of opportunity at the moment for Fairmont, Beavercreek, Springboro, etc. to fill the void and rise towards the top of the league.
Agreed, maybe for Fairmont depending on incoming talent. But Springboro and Beaverreek, due to coaching situations and parent interference, can’t get of their own way. To compare them to the GCL South is just stupid. Since 2000 the GCL South has represented southwest Ohio 10 times at the final four. The GWOC, really?

Just my guess... Brian Bales Dean of Students & Head Boys Basketball Coach. As long as the financial details get figured out and both sides agree, I would assume it will be official by the end of the week.

Just my guess... Brian Bales Dean of Students & Head Boys Basketball Coach. As long as the financial details get figured out and both sides agree, I would assume it will be official by the end of the week.
If this is true he will get rolled in the GWOC.

hope the boro parents like 1-3-1 zone......

If this is true he will get rolled in the GWOC.
Curious as to why? He's an extremely good coach, has had success everywhere he's been. What is it he lacks that equates to getting rolled in the GWOC besides the talent within the program? In my opinion, if the parents will get out of the way out there, he'll get those kids to buy in, play harder, and will work his tail off preparing them to win. If hired and given a couple seasons, I can see kids coming to Springboro just to play for him.

Bales would be a home run hire. He's a great basketball coach and an even better person. He's coached or trained many Springboro kids with WTNO already I'd assume. He will turn that program around and have them in the top 3-4 in the GWOC routinely with the resources and talent pool Springboro has to offer. He's definitely not tied to the 1-3-1 he didn't run that until recently at Franklin and it was to match his talent and lack of depth in my opinion. If Boro can make the money right I figured he would be the guy. He had to be the top of their wish list. Look what another Franklin guy has done with their girls program in Tom Benjamin. I expect similar results with Bales.

Curious as to why? He's an extremely good coach, has had success everywhere he's been. What is it he lacks that equates to getting rolled in the GWOC besides the talent within the program? In my opinion, if the parents will get out of the way out there, he'll get those kids to buy in, play harder, and will work his tail off preparing them to win. If hired and given a couple seasons, I can see kids coming to Springboro just to play for him.
At franklin he coached at the biggest school in the league always had more talent of course he was going to win in the SWBL. HIs record with Franklin out of conference against teams of similar size and talent is average at best. To me that is very telling of how good of a coach he really is. If he coaches at Springboro, he will be matched up against teams that are either similar in talent or better in the GWOC every game. It will be rough for him not being the big dog. Also if a kid is going to transfer to a GWOC school you really think they will choose Bales over Cupps?

At franklin he coached at the biggest school in the league always had more talent of course he was going to win in the SWBL. HIs record with Franklin out of conference against teams of similar size and talent is average at best. To me that is very telling of how good of a coach he really is. If he coaches at Springboro, he will be matched up against teams that are either similar in talent or better in the GWOC every game. It will be rough for him not being the big dog. Also if a kid is going to transfer to a GWOC school you really think they will choose Bales over Cupps?
Name me a Coach in the GWOC that's going to be able to pull a transfer away from Cupps anyway?

Side Note: It would be high comedy if Kerr got that job and watching him deal with the parents.

Name me a Coach in the GWOC that's going to be able to pull a transfer away from Cupps anyway?

Side Note: It would be high comedy if Kerr got that job and watching him deal with the parents.
There aren't any. I was just responding the guy's statement he can see kids going to Springboro to play for Bales. Only 3 kids have left Cupps' program 2 went to prep schools and one went to Alter.

Did Bales apply or is this just speculation? I have not seen a list of applicants/people who have been interviewed.

I agree that Bales is a good coach, but let's not get carried away. Franklin is the largest school in the SWBL and let's not forget about a player named Kennard that won a lot of games in Franklin. Players transferring into Franklin probably have more to do with Kennard than Bales. Everyone aspires to be the next Kennard. I don't blame them...Kennard is special.

Do not follow the League Franklin is in. Is this just speculation concerning Bales? If not maybe he's up for a new challenge.

Did Bales apply or is this just speculation? I have not seen a list of applicants/people who have been interviewed.

I agree that Bales is a good coach, but let's not get carried away. Franklin is the largest school in the SWBL and let's not forget about a player named Kennard that won a lot of games in Franklin. Players transferring into Franklin probably have more to do with Kennard than Bales. Everyone aspires to be the next Kennard. I don't blame them...Kennard is special.
agree....unless someone knows something i dont see much more point in discussing him vs any other avaialble coach