Springboro seeks 7th Coach in 10 years

My personal belief. Unless you are a coaching legend who is also the AD, you're just a puppet to the bureaucracy.
Nice blanket statement. Love to hear more. Maybe in your 10th comment ever on this board you can share why you feel so strongly and exactly what you mean by "puppet to the bureaucracy". Looking forward to your thoughts and examples.

I don't think the kids are the problem, the parents and administrators are all trying to influence preferred outcomes. Somewhere along the line people forgot this is a game played by kids.
Frank Martin from South Carolina said at the Final 4 , 4 years ago, the kids haven’t changed much, the parents have. And the splineless in many school systems have bowled down to mommy and daddy !!

At franklin he coached at the biggest school in the league always had more talent of course he was going to win in the SWBL. HIs record with Franklin out of conference against teams of similar size and talent is average at best. To me that is very telling of how good of a coach he really is. If he coaches at Springboro, he will be matched up against teams that are either similar in talent or better in the GWOC every game. It will be rough for him not being the big dog. Also if a kid is going to transfer to a GWOC school you really think they will choose Bales over Cupps?
I kept hearing about Bales being the biggest school in the league, so I decided to check. Here are the numbers for the league members on their side according to the OHSAA enrollment figures for the 2022-2023 school year...

Monroe - 371 boys
Bellbrook - 336 boys
Franklin - 326
Oakwood - 284
Waynesville - 180

The perception that Franklin is the biggest school in their league is wrong. For comparison...

Lakota West - 1097 boys
Centerville - 1065 boys
Lakota East - 1034 boys
Springboro - 773 boys
Lebanon - 676 boys
Miamisburg - 663 boys

Here is a list of schools similar in size to Franklin in the southwest region with a similar student population...

Edgewood - 438 boys
Fairborn - 470 boys
Sidney - 430 boys
Stebbins - 422 boys
Talawanda - 381 boys
Vandalia Butler - 356 boys
Goshen - 354 boys
Tecumseh - 347 boys
Trotwood - 332 boys
Tipp City - 321 boys
Bellefontaine - 282 boys

My guess is they would be above .500 in a league with similar-sized schools and populations. Based on the updated enrollment numbers, I doubt they will be D1 next year in basketball.

Last edited:
I kept hearing about Bales being the biggest school in the league, so I decided to check. Here are the numbers for the league members on their side according the the OHSAA enrollment figures for the 2022-2023 school year...

Monroe - 370 boys
Bellbrook - 336 boys
Franklin - 326
Oakwood - 284
Waynesville - 180

The perception that Franklin is a the biggest school in their league is wrong. For comparison...

Lakota West - 1097 boys
Centerville - 1065 boys
Lakota East - 1034 boys
Springboro - 773 boys
Lebanon - 676 boys
Miamisburg - 663 boys

I doubt Franklin will be D1 the next two years.
I know these are next years numbers, but how has Franklin been D1 the past couple years then? My comment on them being one of the larger schools was based on their D1 status versus most of the other schools in the SWBL being D2/D3. It is amazing the discrepancies in the number of boys in the bottom schools versus those top teams in the SWBL.

I know these are next years numbers, but how has Franklin been D1 the past couple years then? My comment on them being one of the larger schools was based on their D1 status versus most of the other schools in the SWBL being D2/D3. It is amazing the discrepancies in the number of boys in the bottom schools versus those top teams in the SWBL.
I did a little digging to find the answer to your question. The enrollment numbers used this year were assigned back in 2018. At the time, Franklin had 347 boys and the cutoff for D1 was 356. Unfortunately for Franklin, 17 students were added to their number due to "competitive balance". This gave them 364 boys. I'm not sure, but I wonder if they "got" 17 more students added to their total because of the few years of success they had in the tournament when Kennard was there. Pretty crappy for them if you ask me.

I did a little digging to find the answer to your question. The enrollment numbers used this year were assigned back in 2018. At the time, Franklin had 347 boys and the cutoff for D1 was 356. Unfortunately for Franklin, 17 students were added to their number due to "competitive balance". This gave them 364 boys. I'm not sure, but I wonder if they "got" 17 more students added to their total because of the few years of success they had in the tournament when Kennard was there. Pretty crappy for them if you ask me.
Good information and research. They were right at the cut off and unfortunate. The primary purpose of the competitive balance rule is to create more equitable situation as it relates to private schools and public schools with multiple high schools. Franklin probably goes back to D2 very soon.

I kept hearing about Bales being the biggest school in the league, so I decided to check. Here are the numbers for the league members on their side according to the OHSAA enrollment figures for the 2022-2023 school year...

Monroe - 371 boys
Bellbrook - 336 boys
Franklin - 326
Oakwood - 284
Waynesville - 180

The perception that Franklin is the biggest school in their league is wrong. For comparison...

Lakota West - 1097 boys
Centerville - 1065 boys
Lakota East - 1034 boys
Springboro - 773 boys
Lebanon - 676 boys
Miamisburg - 663 boys

Here is a list of schools similar in size to Franklin in the southwest region with a similar student population...

Edgewood - 438 boys
Fairborn - 470 boys
Sidney - 430 boys
Stebbins - 422 boys
Talawanda - 381 boys
Vandalia Butler - 356 boys
Goshen - 354 boys
Tecumseh - 347 boys
Trotwood - 332 boys
Tipp City - 321 boys
Bellefontaine - 282 boys

My guess is they would be above .500 in a league with similar-sized schools and populations. Based on the updated enrollment numbers, I doubt they will be D1 next year in basketball.
How big are the schools in the other division of the SWBL?

All of them are under 225

My mistake he is at the 3rd largest school in the conference with at least 100 more kids than 6 other schools. I don’t think he would consistently beat some of those other schools you listed that are similar in size like he does swbl teams. That’s just my opinion.

The high school Principal really wants Bales to be the next coach. He realized that he was not going to get it passed through the teachers union, so they have created a Dean of Students admin position. He wants it to be Bales.

Bales wants a similar situation to what Cupps has at Centerville. A six figure school job with limited responsibility during the school day. He can use that time to run his aau program WTNO. If he does not get it, I would think he will stay at Franklin as the AD. He cannot stay at Franklin as AD and coach at Springboro.

I am very surprised this has not been completed already. The longer it goes, I would assume the less likely it is to happen.

My mistake he is at the 3rd largest school in the conference with at least 100 more kids than 6 other schools. I don’t think he would consistently beat some of those other schools you listed that are similar in size like he does swbl teams. That’s just my opinion.
Franklin only plays those teams once. I agree about the consistently beating all those teams. I simply said they would be over .500.

The high school Principal really wants Bales to be the next coach. He realized that he was not going to get it passed through the teachers union, so they have created a Dean of Students admin position. He wants it to be Bales.

Bales wants a similar situation to what Cupps has at Centerville. A six figure school job with limited responsibility during the school day. He can use that time to run his aau program WTNO. If he does not get it, I would think he will stay at Franklin as the AD. He cannot stay at Franklin as AD and coach at Springboro.

I am very surprised this has not been completed already. The longer it goes, I would assume the less likely it is to happen.
nothing makes me sadder than schools magically finding money to create a position just so somebody can coach.....when class sizes are giant, teachers are swamped, administrators have 1000 student caseloads.........ignoring all that for a coach........i know i know, the coach 'creates value' for the school and sports are important etc etc. i get all that.....this is part of why school levies fail.....community members watch and see well, they have money to spend $150000 just for a new coach so why do they need more money

nothing makes me sadder than schools magically finding money to create a position just so somebody can coach.....when class sizes are giant, teachers are swamped, administrators have 1000 student caseloads.........ignoring all that for a coach........i know i know, the coach 'creates value' for the school and sports are important etc etc. i get all that.....this is part of why school levies fail.....community members watch and see well, they have money to spend $150000 just for a new coach so why do they need more money
Bingo !!!

Bales will not be getting anywhere near $150,000. Hell, the superintendent of Springboro makes $143,000. The superintendent at Franklin makes $123,000. If he gets over $100,000 it will be because of his years of experience. His administration pay will be based on what his teacher salary would have been plus the added number of workdays required before the actual school year school and after it ends. The highest teacher salary at Springboro, according to their 2021 contract, was $95,262 for a teacher with 27 years of experience that has a Masters degree and has completed another 30 hours of graduate work. With that being said, the most he is going to make if he has all of the qualifications would be maybe $110,000. So many of you talk out of your without ever doing any research to see if the stuff you "know" is actually accurate.

Hell if they are going to pay that much just get Cupps himself he made less than 6 figures in 2021.

There some dumb Elder guy named Omar on here that wants a College Football Coach Quality Control guy to have an unofficial role at Elder HS. Just goes to show some folks really are stupid. This may be the case of the Springboro Principal.

Bales would be a home run hire. He's a great basketball coach and an even better person. He's coached or trained many Springboro kids with WTNO already I'd assume. He will turn that program around and have them in the top 3-4 in the GWOC routinely with the resources and talent pool Springboro has to offer. He's definitely not tied to the 1-3-1 he didn't run that until recently at Franklin and it was to match his talent and lack of depth in my opinion. If Boro can make the money right I figured he would be the guy. He had to be the top of their wish list. Look what another Franklin guy has done with their girls program in Tom Benjamin. I expect similar results with Bales.
I think Bales would be a very good choice if they could get him, but a great coach? I’m not so sure. Only D1 school in a poor D2/ D3 league, and one District Championship in his entire career. He had Kennard, the twins, Lakins, etc for four years. One District. Let’s not get carried away.

Bales will not be getting anywhere near $150,000. Hell, the superintendent of Springboro makes $143,000. The superintendent at Franklin makes $123,000. If he gets over $100,000 it will be because of his years of experience. His administration pay will be based on what his teacher salary would have been plus the added number of workdays required before the actual school year school and after it ends. The highest teacher salary at Springboro, according to their 2021 contract, was $95,262 for a teacher with 27 years of experience that has a Masters degree and has completed another 30 hours of graduate work. With that being said, the most he is going to make if he has all of the qualifications would be maybe $110,000. So many of you talk out of your without ever doing any research to see if the stuff you "know" is actually accurate.
ok fine....$110000 to coach a sport.....focus on the amount all you want, my point doesnt change

ok fine....$110000 to coach a sport.....focus on the amount all you want, my point doesnt change
That’s ridiculous. Are these school systems this stupid. Wow. Keep voting these school board members and administrators in over and over and watch your schools fall apart for complete lack of financial responsibility. It’s a game people, not a winner take all. Wow again !

I'll say Albright. Bales is a complicated situation if the details provided here are true. Plus, he's an entrenched Franklin guy.

I have said/ agree that the past 2 seasons there was far too much parental involvement and Kostoff was to blame for that.
He hired 3 parent coaches and allowed certain coaches wives/moms (that turned on him HARD) to get over involved.
Don’t invite parents into every corner of the program if you dislike parent involvement. Pretty simple. Can’t have it both ways
Parents not respecting the chain of command is ridiculous too and I know that happened. When my kids were in sports they had to talk to the coach first. One of my kids did that the other chose not to either way we never went to an administrator.

Last edited:

The Board notes mention it from the March 23rd meeting but no detail.Hopefully at the meeting tonight there will be some decisions.

I have to agree. but you get what you pay for and Boro needs a new face and leader for the program.They have already tried the easy hire abs the risk hire. Both failed or quit or whatever. Bales would certainly be worth it based on his resume. There is no excuse for a school like Springboro to not have a top notch Bball program

I have to agree. but you get what you pay for and Boro needs a new face and leader for the program.They have already tried the easy hire abs the risk hire. Both failed or quit or whatever. Bales would certainly be worth it based on his resume. There is no excuse for a school like Springboro to not have a top notch Bball program
I think it is much harder in b-ball to have a consistent top notch program. A school may have a large student body but that does not mean they have some elite athletes. Take Wayne and Fairmont this past year. Rice is an elite bball player without him Wayne does not have the record they had same could be said about Johnson/Doucet from Fairmont. Yeah Springboro should be better than the record the last few years, but I don't know if they would consistently be in the top 1 or 2 in the GWOC. They have a chance in the next few years with that freshman Feldman to have an elite bball player. How many times has one stud on a team with average players been the difference playing against a team with 5 above average guys?