Sports Cards

Summer months have really slowed down. Maybe everyone is saving up for the National at the end of the month in Chicago.

Missed out on a number of Patrick Mahomes cards for a reasonable price. I wasn't sure if the market was going down from being flooded with all the various Mahomes cards or just a bottom during the offseason. Looks like it was the offseason bottom because his cards are taking off again.

Missed out on a number of Patrick Mahomes cards for a reasonable price. I wasn't sure if the market was going down from being flooded with all the various Mahomes cards or just a bottom during the offseason. Looks like it was the offseason bottom because his cards are taking off again.
I've been wanting to get a reasonably priced Rookie PSA 9 or 10, but thats still expensive.

Most recent sell on Ebay. Went for $100. I have some more Fields RC that I might hold onto until the season starts to sell them, along with Trevor Lawrence.

Attachments

• 20230424_174313.jpg
    20230424_174313.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 78
Any takes here on comic books? Daughter moved into a new house and came across some interesting Marvel comic books, some older Daredevil stuff was the main focus. She took them to a couple places but condition was an issue. To me they look OK but I guess condition is even more important to these collectors than sports cards.

On the site that I flip the cards, I never buy expensive cards. I don't have alot of luck with them, I'm not real knowledgeable, and I'm afraid of condition issues.

So the other day, a guy had a very good sale on his cards. I usually like to buy only the top players who have finished their career or are already considered all-time greats (Jordan, LeBron, Tom Brady). He had several Jordan cards for cheap and they were issued from Upper Deck. These cards are straight from UD and don't have any condition issues, so they are a little easier to sell. I bought a couple and they sold quickly. He had a Jordan card for $60 that consistently sold quickly for a higher price. I really thought about buying it but shied away. Then he had a 20% of sale and that card was $48. I took the plunge which is far higher price than anything I've bought before.

I priced it at $90 as the "crown jewel" of my collection on that site. Three days later, I got an offer to buy the card for $66.50. A little less than I wanted to make but was more than happy to turn it over that quickly for an $18.50 profit. I know it's not that big of a deal but was still fun to have it work out so quickly. This is the card:

1693023948739.png

Thanks to that Jordan card, I've had my best month on COMC. I know others would laugh at the piddly amount of money that I sell on there but it is a fun hobby and one of these days, it could turn into a small pile of cash...if I'm lucky.

BBB warns collectors about pattern of complaints against trading card company

The Better Business Bureau issued another warning this summer about sports trading card company Panini America, after tracking a pattern of consumer complaints against the business.

“We’re getting complaints from consumers that they’re not getting merchandise, or they’re not getting goods and services that were promised,” said Melanie McGovern, a spokesperson for the BBB.

The BBB has received complaints from collectors in 46 states as well as three Canadian provinces.

File that under the Fanatics propaganda war.

Interesting. This will be fun to watch over the coming months (or years).
2026 NFL deal ends for Panini. 2027 for basketball. Fanatics has the rights after that time period. Fanatics is trying to use any method possible to sabotage Panini. They tried to purchase the company for 5 billion is one rumor. 😉 Panini wanted 6 billion and the deal went south.

Then the aggressive tactics started. They didn't want Panini employees during negotiations to purchase. But, when the deal fell thru the went head hunting. They hired many Panini executives at a super pay rate. They also went out and purchased the printing company, I've heard 😉, where many cards were produced.

Fanatics is a super aggressive company imo. Gordon Gekko comes to mind.

File that under the Fanatics propaganda war.

I submitted a redemption on a Brian Robinson auto over a full year ago and still do not have my card. When I check the status, it says something along the lines of "processing" The initial estimate turnaround was 3 months when I submitted my claim on the card.

I find it strange that people collect recently printed paper who's value they base on print qty controlled by printer.

Not much to update lately. Seems like this is the lull in sports card sales, at least for the site that I am on. You can see it here:

What I like about it is that I don't have to touch the cards. Since I only flip cards, I find low price cards, buy them, and raise the price. Usually, it is from people who are running sales to get rid of their cards and raise money for something else...new cards or maybe just some extra cash.

This month is particularly bad because they always have a Black Friday sale (actually it's a week long) and people know that it is coming so they stop buying for a couple of months. Most cards I buy are for $.10 and usually try to price them at $.30 to $.75. They start charging a monthly storage fee on any cards that are priced $.76+. That way, I can leave the cards on there forever and when they sell, it is usually at a pretty good premium.

If anyone wants to try this, just ask questions here. It is just a hobby for me. Instead of playing some gaming app, I waste my time doing this.

Here is an example of a card I just bought:

2020 Panini Select - [Base] #220 - Club Level - Jerry Rice​

1699127986273.jpeg

Got it for $.10 and marked it at $.38. My price is still the lowest on the site. There are 17 copies of this card on the site. It may take a day to sell or maybe 4 years. Not a big deal either way as long as it finally sells at some point.

Sold 5 Paige Spiranac cards. Bought them for $.10 a piece and sold them for $.26. Interesting how the card market has evolved to include famous people on social media who might only be slightly famous for playing a sport.

1699386458294.jpeg

Just sold this card for $32.58

1700358743147.jpeg

This is money that I will not see for years as I just keep flipping more cards but it is pretty cool to make a sale like this. I bought it with other credit for $19.25 on 9/23/23. Most of the cards I flip I buy for .10 or less. When I get enough credit to buy a bigger card, I like to splurge on something and then cross my fingers that it sells quickly.

Who does everyone collect for person collection? I have a lot of cards i need to unload. Christmas kicked my butt this year. Dang kids

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Not sure if this was on purpose by Topps but what a terrible picture unless they did it intentionally.
It's hard to tell, but he might actually have his index finger extended, too, but it looks like he's flipping someone off.