Schools that should consolidate

11 public high schools in the district (wiki)
Who and why would you merge
Columbiana D6, Crestview D5, and East Palestine D6 to combine
Lisbon D7 absorbed into Beaver Local D4
Leetonia D7 absorbed into Salem D4
Southern Local D7 and Wellsville D7 to combine
United D6 and Minerva D4 to combine

The "why" is declining enrollment from a declining population. It doesn't make fiscal sense to keep all these small schools independently operating. It'll never happen, but it SHOULD happen.

Columbiana D6, Crestview D5, and East Palestine D6 to combine
Lisbon D7 absorbed into Beaver Local D4
Leetonia D7 absorbed into Salem D4
Southern Local D7 and Wellsville D7 to combine
United D6 and Minerva D4 to combine

The "why" is declining enrollment from a declining population. It doesn't make fiscal sense to keep all these small schools independently operating. It'll never happen, but it SHOULD happen.
Declining population in turn means shrinking tax bases which makes it even more difficult to generate the funds necessary to operate all of these schools.

Newton had a kid last year that played football at Troy, but then came back to Newton for basketball and track. He did not have to sit out for transferring. The kid will be playing at Bowling Green this fall.

How? Honestly, I'm pretty sure that's not allowed

How? Honestly, I'm pretty sure that's not allowed
I have known of kids who were either home-schooled or enrolled in a private that didn't offer a particular sport being allowed to play for their home public district. Are you saying the kid played for Troy while enrolled at Newton? Yeah, I've not heard of that before. Where he was enrolled last fall would appear to be the key detail. Otherwise, if Newton is his home district, it would be possible for him to enroll at Troy and play football there (wouldn't have to sit for anything since he obviously would not have played the sport if Newton was his previous school), then he's allowed to transfer back to his home district 1 time during his HS career without having to sit.

I will not mention anyone specifically for fear of retribution, but Wayne Co is a PERFECT target for this. They have 3 schools that currently share a superintendent. One district across the entire southern span of the county bordering on at least 6 other districts with buildings that look like they're from the opening of a 70s sitcom.

Some of these districts benefitted BIG time from pipeline money so "we can fund it" will become the justification for why no one would consider a consolidation.

Since we've seen districts consolidate in the last 20 years, my question is - wouldn't you want to look forward and address it now instead of waiting until the situation becomes an emergency and there's no way out? Community identity is very important, but ensuring the kids have the educational resources they need should supersede that every time.

PS - Not sure this is the right forum for this discussion. Those of us addicted to HS Football are not the most even-keeled thinkers out there. ; )
Check out these Wayne County enrollment figures.

602 - Chippewa, Northwestern, Norwayne, and Rittman
604 - Triway and Wooster
614 - Dalton, Orrville, Smithville, and Waynedale

I'm not saying it should happen but it's strange how close in size those schools would be.

Does Washington County really need 6 schools?

Fort Frye and Waterford ( 1 mile apart ) Id combine them

Also Belpre / Warren should be combined.

Frontier / Marietta should be combined with New Matamorus kids going to River

Fort Frye and Waterford ( 1 mile apart ) Id combine them
1630156196648.png
This is exactly what folks are talking about. Google images of the schools. Pretty sure Mike Brady designed one & his dad designed the other.

Forget the fact that you'd have a D4-5 football power (you would), this would make SO MUCH sense

This is exactly what folks are talking about. Google images of the schools. Pretty sure Mike Brady designed one & his dad designed the other.

Forget the fact that you'd have a D4-5 football power (you would), this would make SO MUCH sense
I’ve always thought it was silly to have 2 small schools that close apart.

Canton Central Catholic and St. Thomas. Have one Stark County Catholic high school.

Waterloo and Rootstown

Louisville and East Canton. Then join the Federal League. You can make the argument that Louisville already should be in since their football schedule has 5 Fed schools on it. A boost in numbers even if it’s small doesn’t hurt either.

Maybe, Tuslaw-Fairless too

Last edited:
North & South just got rebuilt, while Wickliffe is in the process of building a new K-12 building.
There are creative ways of using the new schools, while closing the old schools. Especially if you want to break down your high school into schools of study (buildings for science and technology, arts and humanities, and trades. Willoughby-Eastlake already offers dedicated schools like this.

It has been suggested in the past that Green, Coventry and Manchester merge into one Portage Lakes school district, but that idea is not a popular one among Green residents. The three schools (along with Akron Springfield) all send some students to a common trade school just off Greensburg Road. I think a merger would be feasible, and certainly would be good for athletic success, but losing the Green Bulldogs name and tradition would be a tough pill to swallow, as I'm sure it would be for Manchester and Coventry supporters. I do know that about 15 years ago Green had a cheerleading coach who suggested changing the school colors to... you know... green. But the Orange and Black color scheme, as ridiculous as it may sound to some, is beloved by many in the community. Her idea was not well received and she was soon searching for a new job. So, any Green administrator who came out in support of a consolidation would likely provoke a ton of anger from the Green faithful. I highly doubt that a Portage Lakes School District will ever come to be.
With green, a merger would not likely work. With just Coventry and Manchester, I think it is a lot more feasable. Similar demographics, especially compared with Green. Cut open enrollment, and the Coventry school buildings would have more than enough space for the Manchester kids

Bradford and Covington. Arcanum and Franklin Monroe.
FM Arcanum will never merge in the next 100 years. I don't think Bradford NEEDS to merge from an academic standpoint.

Jefferson township is the school that definitely needs absorbed into a larger district around here.

With green, a merger would not likely work. With just Coventry and Manchester, I think it is a lot more feasable. Similar demographics, especially compared with Green. Cut open enrollment, and the Coventry school buildings would have more than enough space for the Manchester kids
And now Manchester is building new school. Smh

A few in Portage county. Garrettsville Garfield and Windham Exempted. Atwater Waterloo and Rootstown. Mogadore Field Local needs to send Brimfield Township to Kent City and let Suffield Township merge with Mogadore Local...
This makes little to no sense

Lake County:
Fairport should be absorbed into Painesville Riverside
Wickliffe should be absorbed into Willoughby-Eastlake

Absolutely agree with FH into Riverside. It wouldn’t happen because of the new schools, but a better balance would be an Eastlake-Willoughby HS and a Wickliffe-Willowick HS. Again, it wouldn’t happen, but that’s what would make the most sense geographically and as far as balancing students.

I think they are both (i.e. KR and NE) building new ones that are K-12. Now that makes more sense to me for a geographically large district. One building for all K-12 or two that are something like K-5 and 6-12 in two farther-apart locations is less feasible.
KR is being rebuilt on the neighboring property. NE is being rebuilt in South Vienna next to the elementary/middle school. Both schools will continue to use the current athletic facilities, with plans to eventually relocate NE's facilities to the new campus. The bus garage and district office are also at the current NE site and I would expect them to eventually be relocated as well.

Interesting... wish that would happened when I was in school. Freaking desks used to sweat.
This mostly comes down to issues caused by new security measures. For context my dad is a teacher. In the past he would get up at 4AM and go to school to open his windows and turn on the fans so his room was bearable during the day. But new safety standards made it where he could not have his windows open if he was not physically in the room. Further, ground level windows were not allowed to be fully opened because they could be used as a way in for someone wishing ill on the students and staff. They also used to open a few of the exterior doors which would allow a bit of a cross breeze to go down the hallways, but in light of the prevalence of school shootings the buildings are locked down tighter than a supermax prison. All of this lead to schools that would get really hot and would never cool off.

Luckily, we now have new or renovated schools that have full HVAC systems so this isn't an issue anymore.

Declining population in turn means shrinking tax bases which makes it even more difficult to generate the funds necessary to operate all of these schools.
Somebody is still paying taxes on the property, which is where almost all local funding comes from.

I think that Mass. should consolidate with the Mary Mavec Opportunity School. This WILL cure them of their myopic way of life, which is, "we desperately need to WIN a championship". I crave for people to realize how blessed that they truly are. Be well.

Others

Wayne County
Rittman-Chippewa

Portage County.
Garrettsville Garfield- Windham

Hancock Counry
Vanlue-Arcadia

Columbiana/Mohonning
Sebring- West Branch

Vinton County-Logan hocking

Newton had a kid last year that played football at Troy, but then came back to Newton for basketball and track. He did not have to sit out for transferring. The kid will be playing at Bowling Green this fall.
Good to know it is already happening. There's probably a ton of other vignettes similar to this, especially in non-revenue sports. I remember having a classmate who was big in gymnastics and we did not have them, so they completed elsewhere. But that was 20 years ago and as a student I clearly had no idea what was happening behind the scenes.