Schools that should consolidate

Heck, in the Miami Valley you could split up schools because they're so big. Centerville, Kettering (Fairmont), and Beavercreek come to mind. They would never do it though. Too much success with the athletic teams they have.

In Hamilton County (Cincy) a few have already been mentioned that I agree with........
Colerain & Northwest (same district, shrinking enrollment)
Turpin & Anderson (Same district, weird neighborhood issues that cause conflict. Should combine but never will.)
Lockland Schools into Princeton (Wyoming would be easier, but that will never happen..... those 2 school are only 1.5 miles apart.)
St. Bernard Elmwood Place into Cincinnati Public (they are building a new school for some reason??)
Norwood Schools should be absorbed into Cincinnati Public also (so many budget issues it'll make your head spin)
Mt. Healthy Schools and North College Hill Schools (2 high schools are 2 miles apart)
Reading, Deer Park could all merge with Sycamore (Again, never would happen)
Madeira, Mariemont, and Indian Hill all as 1 (Hell would freeze over before this happened)
Finneytown could merge with either Winton Woods or join the Mt. Healthy & North College Hill consolidation
Lastly, I think Three Rivers could easily merge with Oak Hills. Oak Hills enrollment has declined a great deal and could handle the extra students.
Bet Turpin and Anderson were at one time, one school.
St. Benard and Norwood would get destroyed by CPS in sports.
Mt. Health/Finneytown/North College Hill makes sense---that would be one heck of an athletic program.
Deer Park and Reading make sense, but Sycamore would never associate themselves with either two towns.
Madeira, Mariemont, and Indian Hill actually makes the most sense, but hell would have to freeze over; you're right.

Bet Turpin and Anderson were at one time, one school.
I know Forest Hills used to have one school; I just said they would never combine Turpin and Anderson. That district has such a peculiar dynamic...... all the elementary schools funnel into 1 Middle school, so they can be divided up into 2 separate high schools. I honestly don't get it.

Heck, in the Miami Valley you could split up schools because they're so big. Centerville, Kettering (Fairmont), and Beavercreek come to mind. They would never do it though. Too much success with the athletic teams they have.
This is true. imagine if Centerville went back to Centerville and Washington Township as separate (and others). But aren't some of these the result of more recent consolidation (i.e. Kettering)? Not recent like five years ago but within the last 30 or so years?

On the note of the Miami Valley, there are several schools that exist due to consolidation of small township schools years ago such as Miami East and West Carrollton (Moraine, WC, parts of Miami Township).

There are others that SHOULD consolidate. It's a double edged sword though. These small schools want to have their own school and have all that community pride. But when the ask comes for much needed facilities or increased revenue, all of a sudden the rhetoric switches to why things cost so much, we should consolidate, etc. Nothing happens, and eventually levies pass, but the irony of it all is not lost on folks. Cases in point: Jefferson Township, the western half of Miami County, etc.

From an athletics standpoint, maybe the solution is that some schools stay separate but could have a joint team in certain sports. For example, in Newton schools in Miami County, they do not have football. If there were kids wanting to play - could they go play for Milton or Covington? This would affect other sports numbers though, but it would be interesting to see.

In clark county Northeastern and Kenton Ridge
This post brings up an interesting point though. Those are separate schools, yes, but they are part of the same district. Then the question becomes do you consolidate schools or districts? To me, that is a separate list and argument.

This post brings up an interesting point though. Those are separate schools, yes, but they are part of the same district. Then the question becomes do you consolidate schools or districts? To me, that is a separate list and argument.
Looks like Kenton Ridge is building a new school beside the old one?

Looks like Kenton Ridge is building a new school beside the old one?
I think they are both (i.e. KR and NE) building new ones that are K-12. Now that makes more sense to me for a geographically large district. One building for all K-12 or two that are something like K-5 and 6-12 in two farther-apart locations is less feasible.

For some schools, smaller is better for educational purposes.

Also, some think that mergers of some teams will lead to better sports teams. Often, it just results in a school in a higher division that's still bad. Combining 2 or 3 piles of steaming dog $h!+ generally just results in one very large pile of steaming dog $h!+.
Great point, Clark.

We cannot forget the primary focus should be educating children. Let's say hypothetically a kid is all world athletically, and is a "can't miss" prospect that goes to Ohio State. He quickly finds out he is just one spec of the gigantic student population. He ends up struggling in all phases of life in Columbus.

Then he transfers to a smaller school - and the light bulb goes on.

It wont happen because of egos. The suburb vs the farm kids but yes they are same school district

OK.... I just wanted to see what kind of response that got. Interestingly, several states (Virginia, Tennessee I think are among them) have school districts consolidated at the county level.
There’s a lot of that in KY and WV, but often it’s a singular school.

Maryland is another state like VA that does it. In the case of MD & VA the consolidation/countywide operation doesn’t seem to hinder the educational product (MD and VA have some of the best public schools in the country) although factors of wealth likely have a hand in their ‘best of the best’ schools.

There’s a lot of that in KY and WV, but often it’s a singular school.

Maryland is another state like VA that does it. In the case of MD & VA the consolidation/countywide operation doesn’t seem to hinder the educational product (MD and VA have some of the best public schools in the country) although factors of wealth likely have a hand in their ‘best of the best’ schools.

Yep.... and I'm typically a "keep governance as local as feasible and what people prefer" kind of guy, but I could see possible merits of countywide operation.

Yep.... and I'm typically a "keep governance as local as feasible and what people prefer" kind of guy, but I could see possible merits of countywide operation.
The county that would possibly make the most sense for a consolidated system is… work with me, here… Delaware.

With recent industrial (added tax base) developments in the Delaware city adjacencies (U.S. 42 corridor SW); the fact Olentangy schools is a massive district both in population and land coverage coupled with already-existing rural traditions within the district; and Byzantine district maps that has kids within a ~5-7 drive of Liberty actually attending Buckeye Valley, I’m sure a sensible approach toward a consolidated Delaware County system would lift all boats academically.

(Although it does mean Berlin and Orange would have tomato can Buckeye Valley in their district.)

Great point, Clark.

We cannot forget the primary focus should be educating children. Let's say hypothetically a kid is all world athletically, and is a "can't miss" prospect that goes to Ohio State. He quickly finds out he is just one spec of the gigantic student population. He ends up struggling in all phases of life in Columbus.

Then he transfers to a smaller school - and the light bulb goes on.
Everything you just said (aside from the all world athletically) describes one Larry Joe Bird's journey from Indiana to Indiana State to the hall of fame.

This is true. imagine if Centerville went back to Centerville and Washington Township as separate (and others). But aren't some of these the result of more recent consolidation (i.e. Kettering)? Not recent like five years ago but within the last 30 or so years?

On the note of the Miami Valley, there are several schools that exist due to consolidation of small township schools years ago such as Miami East and West Carrollton (Moraine, WC, parts of Miami Township).

There are others that SHOULD consolidate. It's a double edged sword though. These small schools want to have their own school and have all that community pride. But when the ask comes for much needed facilities or increased revenue, all of a sudden the rhetoric switches to why things cost so much, we should consolidate, etc. Nothing happens, and eventually levies pass, but the irony of it all is not lost on folks. Cases in point: Jefferson Township, the western half of Miami County, etc.

From an athletics standpoint, maybe the solution is that some schools stay separate but could have a joint team in certain sports. For example, in Newton schools in Miami County, they do not have football. If there were kids wanting to play - could they go play for Milton or Covington? This would affect other sports numbers though, but it would be interesting to see.
Newton had a kid last year that played football at Troy, but then came back to Newton for basketball and track. He did not have to sit out for transferring. The kid will be playing at Bowling Green this fall.

It has been suggested in the past that Green, Coventry and Manchester merge into one Portage Lakes school district, but that idea is not a popular one among Green residents. The three schools (along with Akron Springfield) all send some students to a common trade school just off Greensburg Road. I think a merger would be feasible, and certainly would be good for athletic success, but losing the Green Bulldogs name and tradition would be a tough pill to swallow, as I'm sure it would be for Manchester and Coventry supporters. I do know that about 15 years ago Green had a cheerleading coach who suggested changing the school colors to... you know... green. But the Orange and Black color scheme, as ridiculous as it may sound to some, is beloved by many in the community. Her idea was not well received and she was soon searching for a new job. So, any Green administrator who came out in support of a consolidation would likely provoke a ton of anger from the Green faithful. I highly doubt that a Portage Lakes School District will ever come to be.

Mahoning County:

- Lowellville, Campbell and East Youngstown
- Springfield & South Range
- Poland
- Boardman
- Sebring, West Branch and Western Reserve
- Jackson Milton, Austintown and Chaney
My thought was the following w/ appx boys/girls (each) in top 3. Tried to group by neighboring but also looking at demographics that woul
- West Branch/Salem/Sebring - appx 550
- Poland/Springfield/Lowellville - appx 450
- Austintown/JM/WR - 650
- Boardman/Struthers - 650
- Canfield /South Range - appx 500
- Youngstown - 550

campbell is the one I can’t place with a good fit

6 schools c + Warren Harding and maybe a consolidated Ytown Catholic HS would make a nice D1/D2 football conference (and all sports).