Schools that should consolidate

That's real low Doc, lol, at least Heights has been somewhat relevant since the LCL came back.
I was thinking more of the wide range of geographies, population centers and suburban/rural contrasts — and how the elimination of an individual district’s identity (thinking S.W. Licking/WM) in favor of what is seen to be suburban dominance (Heights) could cause hard feelings if there aren’t better sports fortunes in W’s/L’s & postseason.

Monroe County still has Monroe Central, Beallsville, and River. They are in one district, and this could be combined easily.

There are seven schools in Belmont County--Shadyside, Bellaire, Martins Ferry, Bridgeport, Union Local, Barnesville, and Saint Clairsville. They could be consolidated into Belmont East and Belmont West.
My only issue with a merger like this is geography. If you build one centrally high school or even have all schools on one site would travel from the corners of the county be prohibitive? I live in SW Ohio and honestly don't know.

I mentioned this in another thread. If you combine districts would it make travel inside the new district difficult? I've had the idea that Logan might help by splitting. It reduces travel and on an athletics side Logan North and Logan South (or East and West) might fit in the M-SL, T-VC, or restart the SEOAL with like sized schools.

Majority of the NAC schools don 't even have football. Combine Windham and Southington together for football is a must. Allow the kids who want to play football from the non playing merge with schools who does play football. Schools don't need to close, just merge the kids together from the area they live.

Southington Chalker at one time had a great basketball program. Never football. Combine with Windham could create a small school basketball powerhouse....could.

I have always thought it would make sense to merge Green, Manchester, and Coventry in southern Summit County to create Portage Lakes High School.

My only issue with a merger like this is geography. If you build one centrally high school or even have all schools on one site would travel from the corners of the county be prohibitive? I live in SW Ohio and honestly don't know.
In the case of Belmont Couny—no it is not prohibitive. The four towns along the river -Shadyside, Bellaire, Bridgeport and Martins Ferry are grouped within a 10 mile stretch along Route 7. The 3 schools in the western part of the county are also grouped fairly close together. It would make perfect sense geographically. I just hope it never happens.

Tiffin, Mohawk, new reigel, old fort.

instead of 4 superintendents, you have one. That saves $300k right there.

This was mentioned several pages back, but I can't believe Northeastern local in Clark county is building new schools for both Kenton Ridge and Northeastern when combined they're now only averaging roughly 250 kids per class. Northeastern is now only averaging about 95 per class and will only continue to shrink.

A lot of people would have had to have swallowed their pride, but they should have built a combined district campus called Northeastern at the Kenton Ridge site. The enhanced opportunities they could have offered combined with the location could have given the district some growth potential down the road as opposed to having one campus that will at best be stagnant and another that will continue to gradually shrink.

Claymont and Indian Valley are the most obvious one to me. It’s not made sense for 50 yesrs for
IV to be on opposite sides with Claymont in the middle. And spare me the bias against the 922 as all of T County has gone downhill pretty dramatically.

I recall that being a common complaint when Cadiz, Lakeland, and Jewett-Scio consolidated to create Harrison Hills SD in the late '90s(Harrison Central is the district's HS). Some kids had bus rides exceeding 90 minutes each way.

Last edited:
Southington Chalker at one time had a great basketball program. Never football. Combine with Windham could create a small school basketball powerhouse....could.
Both are small enough that they could avoid moving up a division in basketball after merging. That would be an odd merger from a geographic standpoint though. According to the ODE's school district map, it almost looks like there's a "four corners" dynamic at work involving Windham, Garfield, Southington, and Labrae. Windham and Southington are diagonally opposed to each other, so they'd be the least likely to merge if anything came from that quartet. Windham and Garfield looks like a pretty obvious pairing. Southington looks like it could go with Bristol (and maybe fold Bloomfield-Mespo in with them), or Champion, or Labrae.

CVCA and Walsh Jesuit. The Ecuminical High School Allsaints. They could put a tunnel between schools under Wyoga Lake Road. Would be a state power in many sports.

Garrettsville Garfield is the same as both Freedom township and Nelson township are diagonally opposite with the village of Garrettsville joining them at the corner point.
Both are small enough that they could avoid moving up a division in basketball after merging. That would be an odd merger from a geographic standpoint though. According to the ODE's school district map, it almost looks like there's a "four corners" dynamic at work involving Windham, Garfield, Southington, and Labrae. Windham and Southington are diagonally opposed to each other, so they'd be the least likely to merge if anything came from that quartet. Windham and Garfield looks like a pretty obvious pairing. Southington looks like it could go with Bristol (and maybe fold Bloomfield-Mespo in with them), or Champion, or Labrae.

This is assuming the new Superintendent is going to make the same as one of the old ones. In most cases the bigger the district the bigger the super's salary. So there will be a cost savings but it may be more in the 250k range.

This was mentioned several pages back, but I can't believe Northeastern local in Clark county is building new schools for both Kenton Ridge and Northeastern when combined they're now only averaging roughly 250 kids per class. Northeastern is now only averaging about 95 per class and will only continue to shrink.

A lot of people would have had to have swallowed their pride, but they should have built a combined district campus called Northeastern at the Kenton Ridge site. The enhanced opportunities they could have offered combined with the location could have given the district some growth potential down the road as opposed to having one campus that will at best be stagnant and another that will continue to gradually shrink.
I too believe they should have combined but the new campus should have been as centralized as possible. Putting the single high school at KR would leave long bus rides for the current NE kids. The same as putting it at the current NE or even South Vienna site would cause long bus rides for KR kids.

On another note, if they were to ever do this, they need to come up with completely new colors and mascot. We both have seen how the combination of North and South while keeping all of South's colors and mascot went.

Ledgemont went to Berkshire in Geauga County despite the districts being diagonal to each other.

Over in Seneca County, Tiffin has 2 different areas to the district that are diagonal from each other.

Definitely examples of it happening, although I'd agree that the examples you gave are more likely.

In Cuyahoga County. Cuyahoga Hts, Independence and Brooklyn. That would create a division 3 school in football.

This is assuming the new Superintendent is going to make the same as one of the old ones. In most cases the bigger the district the bigger the super's salary. So there will be a cost savings but it may be more in the 250k range.

and the Asst Super position that will be created, possibly increased busing,.... Cost of land and a new building alone will take decades to balance and since many districts have recently built new schools.... Mohawk and New Riegal both look recent. It's not a simple formula.

CVCA and Walsh Jesuit. The Ecuminical High School Allsaints. They could put a tunnel between schools under Wyoga Lake Road. Would be a state power in many sports.

As logistically advantageous as what you're suggesting may be, I can confidently say, as a Walsh alum, that... this would never, ever, ever, ever, EVER, ever, ever, ever, in a million years possibly happen. There's the Catholic vs. Christian thing, and Walsh views themselves as arrogantly and hubristically superior to everyone else, to the point that CVCA is hardly ever even acknowledged.

In Cuyahoga County. Cuyahoga Hts, Independence and Brooklyn. That would create a division 3 school in football.
Brooklyn doesn't fit (its locked by Cleveland on three sides and Parma on the south).

But on the same note, a Parma/Valley Forge/Brooklyn merger (into two schools) and then a Normandy/Independence/Cuyahoga Heights merger into one school, would make sense. ... For those not familiar, it would be taking the Parma City School District's Parma High School (Parma) and Valley Forge (Parma Heights) and merging them in with the Brooklyn City School District. I'm guessing that would either be two small D1 football schools or two large D2s.

On the flip side, the Parma City Schools' Normandy HS (Seven Hills) could go with Independence and Cuyahoga Heights (Cuyahoga Heights/Brooklyn Heights/Valley View) schools into one HS. Again, guessing either a small D1 or a big D2 if combined into one. ... I'm guessing there would be little kickback from Normandy (Seven Hills) getting out of the Parma district. ... They are pretty much the biggest reason why there are still three HS's in the district.

Richmond Heights into Brush (South Euclid/Lyndhurst) is another one in Cuyahoga that would make sense. And Shaw (East Cleveland) into Cleveland MSD is another.

Parma: help me out. Questions no doubt asked many times.

1) What school district is in that hole surrounded by Parma District? Google map says Parma Heights but I don't know a school of that name.
2) Why oh WHY did they not name Padua Franciscan, "St. John?"

Parma: help me out. Questions no doubt asked many times.

1) What school district is in that hole surrounded by Parma District? Google map says Parma Heights but I don't know a school of that name.
2) Why oh WHY did they not name Padua Franciscan, "St. John?"
What hole? I see no hole in the Parma district on this map:

The Parma Heights portion of the district is served by Valley Forge HS.

Last edited:
That map verifies what I thought earlier that West Branch completely surrounds Sebring. Not that anyone from West Branch wants to adopt any part of Sebring.

All city of Cleveland schools. . Split into 2 high schools. One north. One south. I think Rhodes & John Marshall are the only west side school left that plays sports????? Merge both of them. City of Cleveland buses already. Build 3 giant schools. 2 east, 1 west.

Can you imagine the the good teams that a Parma merger could produce? Each Parma school on their varsity squads must have 35-40 kids minimally. That would be 120 juniors & seniors trying out for football. Basketball teams would be stacked. Huge improvement. I'm sure 120 would not try out for football. I think the realistic number would be 80. After a few winning seasons there would be more players trying to make the team. High tide raises all boats.