RIP Dwayne Haskins

tom 48

Heart-breaking. Seemed to be a good guy.

I was hoping he would get his career back on track with the Steelers.

Here is what I find strange on what is being reported South Florida, how about the city or town? Early morning is that 1 am or 7 am? Seems they are trying to keep something quiet. I know not all the facts might be know at this time but tell us what is known.

Here is what I find strange on what is being reported South Florida, how about the city or town? Early morning is that 1 am or 7 am? Seems they are trying to keep something quiet. I know not all the facts might be know at this time but tell us what is known.
Miami news is reporting that he was struck by a dump truck at around 6:30 am while walking along I-595. If I remember correctly, 595 runs through the Ft Lauderdale area.

Per NYT…

“According to the Florida Highway Patrol, Haskins was attempting to cross the westbound lanes of Interstate 595 in Fort Lauderdale, when he was struck by a dump truck around 6:37 a.m.”

Very sad story this morning. Seemed like he was positioning himself for a chance at starting again.

Gil Brandt in some hot water about his comments:

Also heard that he was trying to cross a highway. I know we had something similar in Akron a couple years ago where someone died. Judging the speed of the cars is way too dangerous to attempt on a highway.

Exactly Yappi, some people have no conception of how fast a vehicle closes at 60-70 mph. That's essentially a football field in 3 seconds.

I heard Schefter is taking some some heat over referencing Haskins struggles.

Exactly Yappi, some people have no conception of how fast a vehicle closes at 60-70 mph. That's essentially a football field in 3 seconds.

I heard Schefter is taking some some heat over referencing Haskins struggles.
Why would ANYONE be walking on an interstate highway?

RIP

This is sad and we have all done stupid sh it before. Lost my little brother at 24 and that’s just to damn young for anyone! God Bless his Family and Friends.

Chase Claypool: I spent your final moments with you and I can’t help but think about how selfless you were in those moments. All you cared about was making sure that everyone around you was okay and I can’t thank you enough for that. You are what I strive to be

Had he been in a traffic accident?
What's a "gill brandt?"

The word this morning is he had an accident or his car broke down. I’ve seen people crossing the interstate a few times in my life when they have a flat or with a gas can in their hands…..it’s very risky but I think the probability of crossing safely is pretty high. In any case stay in your car and call AAA.
Not going to play the blame game …likely just a tragic accident with a number of circumstances and the worse possible result.

The word this morning is he had an accident or his car broke down. I’ve seen people crossing the interstate a few times in my life when they have a flat or with a gas can in their hands…..it’s very risky but I think the probability of crossing safely is pretty high. In any case stay in your car and call AAA.
Not going to play the blame game …likely just a tragic accident with a number of circumstances and the worse possible result.

Assume it was still dark at that time, also.

Very sad story this morning. Seemed like he was positioning himself for a chance at starting again.

Gil Brandt in some hot water about his comments:

Also heard that he was trying to cross a highway. I know we had something similar in Akron a couple years ago where someone died. Judging the speed of the cars is way too dangerous to attempt on a highway.
what Brandt said was just a STUPID thing to say, after a young man got killed.... maybe his words should be turned around and he should say them about himself.....complete idiot

Just a terrible shame, by all accounts he was a great kid... Columbus news dug up the video of Dwayne when he was visiting OSU football camp at age 8 or 10 with his parents. He was wearing a #7 OSU jersey, smiling ear-to-ear, saying "I'm going to go to school here..." Sweet video. Such a shame...

Why would ANYONE be walking on an interstate highway?

RIP
I used to cross an interstate on foot all the time. It was one of my best shortcuts. Cheap dad wouldn't buy me a moped, although maybe they were more pricey when they first came out. I even cut some of the fence, myself. Used to hop a train, too, until one kid lost his leg below the knee. How do you not see a dump truck, though ?

RIP

Wlw just reported that Haskins had ran out of gas. Very sad. Also Praying for the driver who hit him. That has to be hard to deal with too.

Being investigated as homicide... Is that just standard procedure in something like this? Hard to fault the driver if you're doing like 70mph on a highway and someone runs out in front of you there isn't much you can do...

Being investigated as homicide... Is that just standard procedure in something like this? Hard to fault the driver if you're doing like 70mph on a highway and someone runs out in front of you there isn't much you can do...
I think its standard. Just legal speak till the investigation is over.

I think there are alot more questions than answers in this one. I don't think you can rule out anything at this time. Odd circumstances, odd timing. The timing of Brant and Schefter's comments were poor, but I don't know that anything they said was inaccurate. Haskins had a bumpy ride through two organizations, alot of expectations and struggles.

I think there are alot more questions than answers in this one. I don't think you can rule out anything at this time. Odd circumstances, odd timing. The timing of Brant and Schefter's comments were poor, but I don't know that anything they said was inaccurate. Haskins had a bumpy ride through two organizations, alot of expectations and struggles.
Your questions don't matter, Maury Povich. People's opinions about the quality of the kid's NFL career don't matter. It's just disrespectful to the family of the deceased.

Brandt and Schefter should be media savvy and experienced enough to know better than to inject their stupid opinion into a discussion about a recently deceased young man. Shameful behavior from adults.

Your questions don't matter, Maury Povich. People's opinions about the quality of the kid's NFL career don't matter. It's just disrespectful to the family of the deceased.

Brandt and Schefter should be media savvy and experienced enough to know better than to inject their stupid opinion into a discussion about a recently deceased young man. Shameful behavior from adults.
I'll give Brandt a pass because he's 90 years old and doesn't belong behind a mic. Heck we have political leaders 15 years younger and shouldn't be making comments live, but it happens. And I agree with that part, there is a time and place for that. But let's not just pass over the fact that there is/ was alot going on in Haskins life that causes you to wonder what the heck was going on.

Questions matter. Answers matter. Speculation releases stress. ?

He was famous. The accident is going to be talked about. If it's too personal for you, going to distress you so much, you're going to call names, maybe it's not a discussion for you? There's a truck driver out there whose life may have innocently just changed forever. Who may have saw something horrific. Not one person is going to think of that driver or the driver's family because...

As far as "respect" or "disrespect" to the family, that probably is a good discussion as to how it should be reported but nothing different happened here with Haskins that hasn't happened with any number of deaths for people no one knows and none of that has to do with any discussion amongst private people on a message board. It's an unfortunate fact of life for those left behind, much as it was and is for Will Smith and anyone whose death makes the news. It's now.. news.

Speculation will happen. People will speculate did he just make a bad decision, why was he forced into a decision, did the driver veer to try and hit him..... The accident happened around exit 10. Presuming him headed East to airport, if he ran out of gas the airport would have been to his south. He would have had to cross to get to businesses on the north side. The question is, why did he feel the need? Speculation is his cell was dead. Fancy cars charge those..... Ran out of gas, cell not charged... Some cannot accept, sometimes the perfect storm just happens. There has to be reason, a logical connect for it to have happened. So they question.

He was famous. The accident is going to be talked about. If it's too personal for you, going to distress you so much, you're going to call names, maybe it's not a discussion for you? There's a truck driver out there whose life may have innocently just changed forever. Who may have saw something horrific. Not one person is going to think of that driver or the driver's family because...

As far as "respect" or "disrespect" to the family, that probably is a good discussion as to how it should be reported but nothing different happened here with Haskins that hasn't happened with any number of deaths for people no one knows and none of that has to do with any discussion amongst private people on a message board. It's an unfortunate fact of life for those left behind, much as it was and is for Will Smith and anyone whose death makes the news. It's now.. news.

Speculation will happen. People will speculate did he just make a bad decision, why was he forced into a decision, did the driver veer to try and hit him..... The accident happened around exit 10. Presuming him headed East to airport, if he ran out of gas the airport would have been to his south. He would have had to cross to get to businesses on the north side. The question is, why did he feel the need? Speculation is his cell was dead. Fancy cars charge those..... Ran out of gas, cell not charged... Some cannot accept, sometimes the perfect storm just happens. There has to be reason, a logical connect for it to have happened. So they question.
I understand that people have questions. But too many people like to ask them in a judgmental way, insinuating some character flaw in the recently deceased that is based on pure speculation. It is in poor taste IMO. Let the police do their investigation and report the facts, and let the family grieve. And the people saying "he wasn't a great QB" are just a--holes, that is an irrelevant opinion at this time...

I understand that people have questions. But too many people like to ask them in a judgmental way, insinuating some character flaw in the recently deceased that is based on pure speculation. It is in poor taste IMO. Let the police do their investigation and report the facts, and let the family grieve. And the people saying "he wasn't a great QB" are just a--holes, that is an irrelevant opinion at this time...

I respect that view but no one IMO unless they are forcing their voices onto the family need to "respect their right to grieve." The family likely isn't reading message boards and twitterverse and if they are, why? That's self-abuse not abuse forced upon anyone. His death will be general news for a week and then again when the report comes out. So that's an opportunity to talk about him whether it be his career or his death. Welcome to funerals.

I don't see any big deal out of the Schefter comment either. Gilbert's yeah. I don't know this Shefter but it's a reporter no? It's not the job of a reporter to send condolences. If he stated facts, he stated facts. They have one line to report who, describe who and what happened to who. If it was a struggling actor that died then "struggling actor" is as good an adjective as any. There were options. That's the one he chose as it was recent and it was accurate. At worse, it's a roll-off-the-back comment and people looking for something to be rightiously indignant about.

Last edited:

Excellent post. People are going to question things, especially tragic situation. Many "fans" get bent out of shape when questions arise, especially when the situation is raw. I get that, but unless you're a die hard Buckeye fan, close relative or friend of Haskins or the Haskins family, it's not out of line to ask questions.

Everyone "builds up" their own credibility...or not. We are both far enough from this to have a conversation off to the side. We're not at the vigil making assertations. So let's say this was Trevor Lawrence instead of Dwayne Haskins, or say Derrick Henry. Completely different approach. Good, bad or indifferent, Haskins has not had a pristine past few years. He's had issues with management of the Redskins, the Covid incident where he brought in a guest into a covid quarantined area against NFL rules, he was reportedly not into the homework of being an NFL quarterback. So much so the Redskins gave up on him less than two years into his time with them. Ron Rivera, a long time, well respected head coach, couldn't deal with him. Yes, the police will do their investigation and disclose the results.