PAROCHIAL WAYS, IS IT FAIR ???

Wouldn't they still need an association similar to the OHSAA?
I see where Clark is going, and I think he’s right. Sponging off his comment on “less restrictive regulations”: there’s already far less private schools in Ohio than publics, so any hypothetical association of the privates would be tasked with 84% fewer schools than what the OHSAA currently has to. Less restrictions, less schools = less general bureaucracy and red tape. So while they would need a statewide body, they wouldn’t need an organization that mirrors the entire OHSAA apparatus (probably don’t need a Board of Directors, definitely won’t need District Athletic Boards, won’t need an emphasis on compliance to the litany of bylaws.)

Public’s recruit just as much as privates these days.
It's not what kids schools enroll, it's all the kids publics enroll that privates don't have to. That boosts the public numbers compared to a restrictive private school.

They HAVE to enroll kids in their district that don't opt to go elsewhere. Privates can be as restrictive as they want.

It's not what kids schools enroll, it's all the kids publics enroll that privates don't have to. That boosts the public numbers compared to a restrictive private school.

They HAVE to enroll kids in their district that don't opt to go elsewhere. Privates can be as restrictive as they want.

This would make sense and be a good argument if the privates were dominating at the lower levels but they aren’t. There hasn’t been a private state champion in divisions 3-7 since 2016.

Dayton daily news Springfield High School football coach Maurice Douglass used the postgame press conference after a 28-14 loss in the Division I state championship game on Friday to make a case for separate private and public state tournaments.​

Springfield, a public school, lost to a private school, Lakewood St. Edward, for the second straight year at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium. Private schools have won 11 of the last 13 state titles in Division I with Pickerington Central’s championships in 2017 and 2019 being the only exception.

This was St. Edward’s sixth state championship since 2010.

Douglass was asked what the difference was between his program and St. Edwards and said, “It’s the fact that they have boys that they can go out and select from anywhere they want to, and they have the resources to back it up. We’re limited to what there is in Clark County. Everybody can be mad or whatever. It should be private championship, public championship because now you have equal balance. They’ve got a building full of dudes..”
You hit it on the nose!!! Private school could all be in the same division since they are hand picked/all-star teams. The private schools won't let that fly. This year St. Somebody has a horrible linebacking corp and the backups are Freshmen. Next year they have 6 all state Junior/Senior backers. This is getting really old. The alumni go to the game and don't know who they are rooting for because a lot of those guys were not there last year.

There is a lot to unpack from Mo’s tirade.

First of all, don’t complain because someone else does it better than you do. Coach Mo can recruit with the best of them.

Secondly, not all private schools excel in football, or even try. We all can see the ones that do, but you still have to do the work to build a solid program…private or public.

Thirdly, even coaches of closed enrollment publics really can’t complain. Those districts choose to be closed enrollment, so they really can’t complain about the advantages a private, or open enrollment public has, in attracting kids.

Fourthly (if that’s even a word), a family should be free to send their kid wherever they want that will take them, whether it’s St Edward or Springfield.

The bottom line is Coach Mo is just mad today because he lost to a school that does it better than him. And I do give credit to him, Coach Ginn and others out there who use football to help get kids to college. That is awesome! But c’mon Coach Mo…don’t complain about recruiting advantages.
Right family pimping their kids out! If you are 6'5 or over you don't need to be that smart to go to private school. I saw a kid 6'4, 275 get recruited to private school, younger brother 5'4, 145, they said they would let the bigger kid come and the brother should attend their home school. Not about family choices.

You hit it on the nose!!! Private school could all be in the same division since they are hand picked/all-star teams. The private schools won't let that fly. This year St. Somebody has a horrible linebacking corp and the backups are Freshmen. Next year they have 6 all state Junior/Senior backers. This is getting really old. The alumni go to the game and don't know who they are rooting for because a lot of those guys were not there last year.
There’s been a ton of zany posts on the topic for the last decade, but good lord this up there.

Right family pimping their kids out! If you are 6'5 or over you don't need to be that smart to go to private school. I saw a kid 6'4, 275 get recruited to private school, younger brother 5'4, 145, they said they would let the bigger kid come and the brother should attend their home school. Not about family choices.
It’s the family that has the choice, not the school.

There’s been a ton of zany posts on the topic for the last decade, but good lord this up there.
I see it all the time at Hoban, no one knows who the kids are, be ause they are not from around there!! I suppose that's zany too. Guess what all the strangers can play ball whatever sport it is.

Yeah, I remember the games this year when St Charles, NDCL, Lake Catholic, Toledo St Francis, Cardinal Stritch, Steubenville Central Catholic and some others were just blowing teams away! He’s right. Haha.
I remember Hoban and when is the last time Steubenville win state?

Yeah, I remember the games this year when St Charles, NDCL, Lake Catholic, Toledo St Francis, Cardinal Stritch, Steubenville Central Catholic and some others were just blowing teams away! He’s right. Haha.
I was more so jeering at the allusion that Ed’s backup linebackers are freshmen!

I used to argue about this decades ago and got tired of it. It always turned into the same “hard work and discipline” bs. Like the farmer community I root for doesn’t understand hard work and discipline. Spare me. The farmer community I root for just doesn’t have the opportunity to sprinkle 4.5 forty athletes into their skill positions every year.

Count up the State championships before Coach Tyrell got to Hoban.👀
Correct response is Zero. He said he was not there to be competitive they brought him in to win. Can remember if he was suspended for "recruiting" or what it was. Opened in 53' and couldn't win until you got the right guy to go get the right guys!

I used to argue about this decades ago and got tired of it. It always turned into the same “hard work and discipline” bs. Like the farmer community I root for doesn’t understand hard work and discipline. Spare me. The farmer community I root for just doesn’t have the opportunity to sprinkle 4.5 forty athletes into their skill positions every year.
Thank you, Awesomely put!

Therein lies a potential problem. If you split them, the privates are no longer under any oversight on recruiting. OHSAA does a poor job of it but at least there are guidelines and restrictions that you likely lose with a split.
So you believe the parochial schools would withdraw from the OHSAA, run their own tournament, pay for catastrophic insurance for all of their athletes among other things that membership provides? I don't, I think the "we'll walk" threats are bullspit, the church doesn't want to spend that money and what about parochials that aren't affiliated with the catholic church? Who governs them?

Privates have an advantage over publics. Open enrollment has an advantage over closed enrollment. Ohio State has an advantage over Akron. There can only be so many champions and when you are at a disadvantage it makes it even sweeter.

privates governed by same transfer bylaws as publics.

as long as the rules are the same for everyone, and equally enforced, nobody can complain in my opinion.

So you believe the parochial schools would withdraw from the OHSAA, run their own tournament, pay for catastrophic insurance for all of their athletes among other things that membership provides? I don't, I think the "we'll walk" threats are bullspit, the church doesn't want to spend that money and what about parochials that aren't affiliated with the catholic church? Who governs them?
The Church assumes virtually zero financial responsibility for high schools anyways, so they aren’t really relevant to this. There isn’t a real reason to think the non-Catholic privates wouldn’t be considered for admission into a hypothetical organization.

The scope of “running their own tournament” as well as paying the premium on the catastrophic insurance — considerably less schools and even less students being discussed. Running a tournament: it’s a ~1/6 of the amount of schools, so the budget wouldn’t be 1:1 to the current system. The cost of insurance and the ability to pay it could indeed be an obstacle… but it’d also be covering way fewer students.

I wonder if the Warren JFK coach will be asking for separation after this championship game?
The privates in D1 and D2 are a different animal compared to how the lower division private schools build and recruit. Let's be real here

Sure publics can rise up and win at times. But privates at the top levels have huge advantages. Especially on the lines where they can find monsters from all over vs just getting kids from your school district.

But the recruiting coaches from places like Springfield , glenville etc shouldnt be the ones complaining on the public side

Public’s recruit just as much as privates these days.
💯!!! How come Mo didn’t talk about the Educational aspects between many public and private Schools? LOL!! Typical Springfield, ALWAYS Blame others or just Not Fair!! Let me guess, Springfield Lose next yr to Ed’s or Moeller and they will say Systemic Racism is the reason!

Way to go Eagles!!! Come on Cowboys tonight!!!

Do privates take everyone that lives in the district their building is in? Whether they want to or not?
Moeller, Elder, LaSalle are Archdiocese of Cincinnati schools. If an applicant is from a Catholic grade school they have to be accepted. Moeller does not have the room to just admit anyone else that comes along. Moeller does well when they get the top Catholic grade school talent as opposed to them going to X, another private, or back to their public system.

There is a lot to unpack from Mo’s tirade.

First of all, don’t complain because someone else does it better than you do. Coach Mo can recruit with the best of them.

Secondly, not all private schools excel in football, or even try. We all can see the ones that do, but you still have to do the work to build a solid program…private or public.

Thirdly, even coaches of closed enrollment publics really can’t complain. Those districts choose to be closed enrollment, so they really can’t complain about the advantages a private, or open enrollment public has, in attracting kids.

Fourthly (if that’s even a word), a family should be free to send their kid wherever they want that will take them, whether it’s St Edward or Springfield.

The bottom line is Coach Mo is just mad today because he lost to a school that does it better than him. And I do give credit to him, Coach Ginn and others out there who use football to help get kids to college. That is awesome! But c’mon Coach Mo…don’t complain about recruiting advantages.
Haha. I was rooting for Springfield, but that was a bit much.

This still isn't as had as the year Shadyside complained after giving up 70 in the finals to DSJ. Shadyside likely had fat more move ins and recruits, considering DSJ is basically a public in the way they run their school.