PAROCHIAL WAYS, IS IT FAIR ???

1-9 must be the magic numbers when it comes to rage.
Cracking Up Laughing GIF

Therein lies a potential problem. If you split them, the privates are no longer under any oversight on recruiting. OHSAA does a poor job of it but at least there are guidelines and restrictions that you likely lose with a split.
Made this same analysis on another thread. If separated and the gloves are off for private's to openly recruit they will have all of the best players and the publics will be like a rec league. Majority of college recruiters will gravitate to the privates where the best players will be. Publics will be playing in a minor league rec league and handing out trophies for all.

Publics 5 titles D
Privates 2 titles. D1-D2

D1-D2 Publics are the ones with the issues.

Made this same analysis on another thread. If separated and the gloves are off for private's to openly recruit they will have all of the best players and the publics will be like a rec league. Majority of college recruiters will gravitate to the privates where the best players will be. Publics will be playing in a minor league rec league and handing out trophies for all.

Publics 5 titles D
Privates 2 titles. D1-D2

You mean the gloves aren't off NOW? Ok....

The Div.1 GCL South schools rarely get transfers. Elder gets kids from feeder schools and has few transfers. I have been following St.X since the 80s and we rarely get a transfer. The only transfers I can remember in the last 20 years are a kicker who came from Oak Hills High in Cincinnati, Milligan who came from St. Ignatius since his family moved to Cincinnati for work, and a QB whose family moved from Colorado because of work. This QB did alright but X was not a title contender then. Just because Hoban gets all these transfers as you claim does not mean that every private does. It is a fact that X rarely gets transfers.
Milligan (both of them) was in Cincinnati for several years before going to St X. I remember watching them play for IHM in the CYO league.

This is the "manure" they "TRY" to pass on. When your diocese / parish includes 55 feeder systems, from seven counties, you can "TRY" to pass this garbage on.

Because these schools include more schools from OE, doesn't mean their district isn't setup by their 8th grade enrollment campaign and includes a vastly larger geographic area and number of districts than publics get from OE!
whaaah whaah whaah crybaby.

City of Crybabies.

ROFLMAO

Publics 5 titles D
Privates 2 titles. D1-D2

This is absolutely the dumbest argument ever.
Other states have separate private and public but you are saying the kids that don’t go to private aren’t getting recruited by the P5 colleges ? 😂😂
If they were separate why would a freshman/Soph who is already being “looked at” during summer camps etc feel he has to go to a private school to get a full ride ?
For the record I don’t want them to be separate in Ohio.

Publics 5 titles D
Privates 2 titles. D1-D2

Not sure that I follow why separation would allow privates to "take the gloves off" (whatever that means) any more or less than any public.

I'd be fine with gloves off for both, or equal restrictions for both. It is the disparity in which each operates that will always be square peg and round hole.

Only 2 public school programs have won championships in D1/D2 in the past 10 years combined. I understand how/why that sounds acceptable or even fantastic from your perspective, but I don't call it anything resembling "level", and no idea what solution any private school would concede as necessary let alone acceptable.

I think CB is a boondoggle, though it has funneled many private powers up and out of the lower divisions, and the results are stark.

This is absolutely the dumbest argument ever.
Other states have separate private and public but you are saying the kids that don’t go to private aren’t getting recruited by the P5 colleges ? 😂😂
If they were separate why would a freshman/Soph who is already being “looked at” during summer camps etc feel he has to go to a private school to get a full ride ?
For the record I don’t want them to be separate in Ohio.
I agree to an extent with both you and Cougarfan. I disagree with Coug in that separation isn’t going to mean the “best” players (e.g. P5 talent) will matriculate by default to the privates — a lineman who fits the measurables shouldn’t be expected to leave a Fairfield, Fitch or Avon; a LB or secondary player from Massillon, Glenville or Pick Central et al who impresses at camps will continue to get big offers.

But to Coug’s point, the solid players who are a couple inches, some pounds or a few tenths-of-a-second away still have the ambition to play somewhere after HS. The D2’s, NAIA’s and most of the D3’s have a business side to what they do. Those schools need to pursue kids who can bring in high GPA’s & test scores and who are likely candidates to improve the retention rate. Currently those schools are burning an inordinate amount of energy in recruiting… only to assemble incoming classes where too many kids aren’t staying past their first semester (for various reasons) with mediocre academic profiles on the whole. Any way to simplify that recruiting process with the expectation that the school-side metrics of recruiting improve as a result, they’ll jump on.

Separation could provide a lane for the big privates to become most schools’ focal points in recruiting. The current system doesn’t provide or condone privates saying out in the open “want to play sports in college? We can make it happen — and here’s how.”

Separation could provide a lane for the big privates to become most schools’ focal points in recruiting. The current system doesn’t provide or condone privates saying out in the open “want to play sports in college? We can make it happen — and here’s how.”

Separation would not, nor should not imo, cause the suspension of all rules regarding recruiting and transfers. Are you arguing that separate playoffs would lead private schools to leave OHSAA? Maybe a few would consider it but that would be up to them and their "mission statement" rationale, religious or otherwise.

Maybe I am misunderstanding. Btw from what I see privates (or some) are already fairly open and aggressive about what they offer athletically, along with the financial counseling/aid to make it work.

There’s no fix. Don’t like stacked teams whether it’s public or private and don’t want it separated. Always loved high school football because it was the purest form of football out there. I could care less about pro. Most schools out there , especially rural public schools can just hope that one special group comes through every 40 or 50 years and everything goes right . Meanwhile the stacked teams can puff out their chests and feel superior,

Separation would not, nor should not imo, cause the suspension of all rules regarding recruiting and transfers. Are you arguing that separate playoffs would lead private schools to leave OHSAA?
Fundamentally what’s the advantage of staying in the OHSAA at that point if you’re put into a privates-only tournament? For sports that aren’t football, you can’t replicate the District -> Regional -> State model of the current system without schools having to drive 1:30 one-way for an early stage game (e.g. there’s only three big Catholic schools in Toledo… OHSAA sending them on the road for a first-round baseball or basketball game to Ignatius? Or to X in Cincy?) and even then can they get the same amount of game opportunities in the postseason the current system permits if they kept advancing, that presumably would still be afforded for the publics?

Catastrophic insurance would be the only advantage I could see, and it’s possible they could attain it on their own with a separate association.
Maybe a few would consider it but that would be up to them and their "mission statement" rationale, religious or otherwise.
I’m not sure how a school’s mission statement is relevant to this, or how the mission statement would be contradicted by leaving.
Maybe I am misunderstanding. Btw from what I see privates (or some) are already fairly open and aggressive about what they offer athletically, along with the financial counseling/aid to make it work.
What a school such as Hoban (apparently) does isn’t reflective of the other privates statewide.

Nothing is ideal Dock, including the current setup, but I could see 2 private divisions (big and small) and 5 public divisions. No changes regarding OH$AA bylaws and/or regular season scheduling. Frankly I would prefer 4 publics (my team to D1) but I don't see OH$AA contracting. In fact a slight expansion to 3 private and 5 public would probably be more likely.

There’s no fix. Don’t like stacked teams whether it’s public or private and don’t want it separated. Always loved high school football because it was the purest form of football out there. I could care less about pro. Most schools out there , especially rural public schools can just hope that one special group comes through every 40 or 50 years and everything goes right . Meanwhile the stacked teams can puff out their chests and feel superior,
its all just for fun anyways, right?

If it’s all for fun, why are there stacked teams? Is the need for superiority that important ?
Exactly. That is a very good question. But it IS all for fun.

nobody wins anything for winning the tournament.

people say its so the featured stars of teams "on the big stage" can be promoted for NCAA full rides and/or future NFL fame and riches.

So..... its all for the tiny number of players who eventually end up in the NFL for a couple years?

yep. that is the actual reason since high school FB is the talent training and recruiting pool for the NCAA and of the tiny number (1 in 92 of all high school players who get full ride scholarships) only a tiny percentage ever get drafted and play downs in the NFL which uses the NCAA as their training and recruitment pool.

1670181721487.png

so what do the rest of the high school players get? maybe a jersey and a nicer GF who dumps him eventually anyway.

after all, a certain number of people DO get struck by lightning every day.

Last edited:
I don’t know . I guess it’s supposed to be a life lesson. You can have an undefeated once in half century, naturally assembled team and then get blown out by a stacked team. I guess it’s builds character. Not sure what it teaches the kids on the winning side?

The odd thing I see when it comes to advertising catholic school education is the placement of some of these billboards. There is a Lasalle billboard on the corner of Spring Grove & Mitchell. I quickly asked myself why here unless they're looking for students from Winton Terrace housing projects because this is the closest neighborhood but how many of these residents can afford the tuition. Kinda odd if you ask me but who am I.

Any day now before we get busted for Elon Musk actually being an Eds alum who is paying families millions to send their kids to Eds to play football. Hopefully the plan to turn Lakewood Stadium into mini-SoFi Stadium gets finished before everyone gets ahold of the story.

The odd thing I see when it comes to advertising catholic school education is the placement of some of these billboards. There is a Lasalle billboard on the corner of Spring Grove & Mitchell. I quickly asked myself why here unless they're looking for students from Winton Terrace housing projects because this is the closest neighborhood but how many of these residents can afford the tuition. Kinda odd if you ask me but who am I.
Because if there are any decent athletes in that housing project they won’t have to worry about affording the tuition. Droppin’ bags 💰

I don’t know . I guess it’s supposed to be a life lesson. You can have an undefeated once in half century, naturally assembled team and then get blown out by a stacked team. I guess it’s builds character. Not sure what it teaches the kids on the winning side?

I don't know, but you do understand that no school wins any prize other than an OHSAA trophy and the only difference between the winner and the loser in the last game is the lettering on the green plastic faceplate, correct?

the lesson is in the quest for the goal, the goal itself means nothing. the character building, the teamwork, the self sacrifice, the communications, the sportsmanship are the rewards, but those rewards are the same for all teams, all kids, even the 0-10 schools get those benefits.

correct?

With the state government's continuous expansion of the voucher program (which also includes a low income voucher that follows the kid all the way through HS if the family's income remains below the threshold for a family of that size), it's not that difficult to figure out why a private school would place a billboard in what I gather from your post is a poorer neighborhood within a poorly rated school district.

Follow the money.