#PACtion™ 2024

Ask Canton South how leaving the NBC/EBC has worked for them.
They did not win ONE single league title during their 30 year membership with the NBC/EBC. Would they have won the last couple years? Sure they could have. They obviously beat West Branch in the playoffs this past season. My point being sometimes a new schedule and new league is refreshing to a program.

If not Minerva, then who is a legitimate candidate?
Akron Springfield
Coventry
Sandy Valley
Marlington
Norton
I had to read this a few times and still not sure I got it. Are you suggesting that Minvera has Canton South-like success if they join the PAC?
1) I find that pretty ridiculous
2) I'm sure Canton South folks would find it quite insulting

None of us know who is a legitimate candidate because, despite this amazing thread, #PACtion2024™ leadership is . . . well "lacking" at best.

That said, I feel comfortable saying that if league leadership endorsed Minerva then the conversation would shift from "who are they adding" to "how long does the league stay together."

I also firmly believe Lucas is a fine opponent for some #PACtion™ schools.
mood GIF

Lucas is a fine opponent for some #PACtion™ schools.
I have to brag up my Cubs a bit. As you stated, we do just fine vs larger schools.

Lucas 51, D3 Columbus Centennial 28
Lucas 46, D5 Coshocton 21

D3 Columbus Centennial 51, Lucas 36
Lucas 55, D4 Harrison Central 20 (Lucas ran for 583 yards, 26th all-time)
Lucas 40, D4 Cincinnati Aiken 6

Lucas 41, D5 Willard 0
Lucas 20, D2 Columbus St. Charles 8

Lucas 18, D4 Clear Fork 15
Lucas 28, D4 Ontario 21
Lucas 35, D5 Marion Pleasant 21

D4 Shelby 37, Lucas 7
D4 Galion 24, Lucas 13

Lucas 38, D5 Wynford 7
Lucas 30, D5 Willard 0
Lucas 35, D2 Lakewood 27

D4 Clear Fork 21, Lucas 20
Lucas 49, D3 Columbus Linden McKinley 12
D4 Clear Fork 17, Lucas 14
Lucas 41, D5 Smithville 7
Lucas 49, D4 Warrensville Heights 14

15-5 since 2017 vs D2-D5.

Last edited:
I had to read this a few times and still not sure I got it. Are you suggesting that Minvera has Canton South-like success if they join the PAC?

None of us know who is a legitimate candidate because, despite this amazing thread, #PACtion2024™ leadership is . . . well "lacking" at best.

That said, I feel comfortable saying that if league leadership endorsed Minerva then the conversation would shift from "who are they adding" to "how long does the league stay together."
Minerva would have likely won the league in Boys and Girls XC and Wrestling and been near the top on Boys and Girls track. They're probably near the bottom in Basketball and Baseball (but the bottom tier of the PAC is much weaker in those sports than the EBC) and somewhere in the middle for Softball. Not saying they steal away the illustrious "All-Sports" trophy from the private school on the falls but they wouldn't be cellar dwellers any worse than Tuslaw, Manchester and Fairless already are

The Minerva Gridiron of Woe:

3-77 began in week 10 of the 2014 season against.....you guessed it....Carrollton:

1716484607868.png

2015.....they played a rugged schedule. You could see they were competitive against the weak teams on their schedule:

1716484746809.png

1716484828544.png

1716484887106.png

1716484951571.png

1716485016834.png

1716485069913.png

Strong schedule in 2021....even the smaller schools like United Local and Ravenna Southeast had a good year:

1716485187110.png

1716485311353.png

1716485352971.png

Last edited:
The Carnation City is desperate to dump Minerva off their football schedule.

"Alliance1 said:
They did not win ONE single league title during their 30 year membership with the NBC/EBC. Would they have won the last couple years? Sure they could have. They obviously beat West Branch in the playoffs this past season. My point being sometimes a new schedule and new league is refreshing to a program.

If not Minerva, then who is a legitimate candidate?
Akron Springfield
Coventry
Sandy Valley
Marlington
Norton"

Canton South joined #PACtion right at the time they had POOCHIE at quarterback. So they were going to look great in the PAC with Poochie compared to past Wildcat squads.

Canton South would have likely won the EBC last year, too.

As for the greater body of work with Wildcat football since Charles "Red" Ash roamed the CSHS hallways, they have never been an overly strong football school. At all. Not in the Federal League, NBC, EBC, and they wouldn't have been world beaters in the PAC, either.

All time, Canton South is 5-5 against Tusky Valley in games from 1996-2005.

Minerva joining the PAC would NOT result in such a rapid improvement like the Wildcats experienced.

Looking at Minerva during their 3-77 run.....the 3-77 run began in week 10 of the 2014 season against Carrollton.

Carrollton just has a way of bringing out the worst in everyone.....

#PACtion is a lot of things...a lot of great things....but it's not a charity. The league is not a charity for the faint hopes Minerva can turn around their football program. Honestly, the geography of Minerva is not good for #PACtion and they're better off looking at a couple other leagues such as:

--The EOAC (Eastern Ohio Athletic Conference, which will likely say they're too big but they should apply anyway.)

The Eastern Ohio Athletic Conference league was formed after the Inter-Tri County League split into two separate conferences for the 2017–18 school year.
  • Columbiana Clippers (2017–)
  • Lisbon David Anderson Blue Devils (2017–)
  • East Palestine Bulldogs (2017–)
  • Leetonia Bears (2017–) -- this team is about a Kozmo Kramer razor-thin slice of lunchmeat away from playing 8-man football, so watch for this possible opening. Plus Leetonia has @the123kidz approved levels of tuffness.
  • Salineville Southern Local Indians (2017–)
  • Hanoverton United Golden Eagles (2017–) --neighboring district with Minerva.
  • Wellsville Tigers (2017–)
  • Youngstown Valley Christian Eagles (2020–)
--The Mahoning Valley Athletic Conference.

Yes the MVAC is a bit of a drive for Minerva but other than getting their butt kicked in the EBC (which has close drives for Minerva) they're not going to have close drives anywhere else except for:

--The IVC. This makes a lot of sense for Minerva and they should do their begging to join there. East Canton, Malvern, Sandy Valley, Tusky Valley, Indian Valley, Claymont....this is a good fit for the Minerva Lions with a lot of old historical opponents for them.

--Or Stay Home in the EBC.

Minerva should take advantage of the 4-5 non-league games they have every year and play Akron North, Sirpilla RV Aquinas, and any other Schmidt's cream puff they can find.

It sounds to me like Minerva has problems deeper than bad coaching. It's an administration that clearly can't figure it out on top of an enrollment decline and/or stagnation. Because who's going to really want to live in Minerva? It's close to virtually nothing. No home builder is going to build a subdivision of 200-300 homes in Paris Township. Pittsburgh's too far, Youngstown doesn't have much in the way of decent paying jobs, Akron is a hike from Minerva, Canton is close enough but why would you pick living in Minerva over other places closer to Canton? And it's not like Canton has this booming economy, either.

Last edited:
Canton South would have won a State Title this year if the OHSAA weren't shiftless morons, the EBC would have been as much of a walk for them as the PAC was this year
Minerva would have likely won the league in Boys and Girls XC and Wrestling and been near the top on Boys and Girls track. They're probably near the bottom in Basketball and Baseball (but the bottom tier of the PAC is much weaker in those sports than the EBC) and somewhere in the middle for Softball. Not saying they steal away the illustrious "All-Sports" trophy from the private school on the falls but they wouldn't be cellar dwellers any worse than Tuslaw, Manchester and Fairless already are
Zero chance Minerva would compete in football or wrestling in the PAC or any similar conference anytime soon. Even with wrestling being an individual sport, anyone decent they have (which not aware of anyone) will likely be lured away to Louisville for wrestling, Alliance or others for football. Not saying I like it, but it is reality.

Zero chance Minerva would compete in football or wrestling in the PAC or any similar conference anytime soon. Even with wrestling being an individual sport, anyone decent they have (which not aware of anyone) will likely be lured away to Louisville for wrestling, Alliance or others for football. Not saying I like it, but it is reality.
I actually take some of that back, I forgot there is one kid, incoming freshman, decent wrestler/football player, wrestled some travel stuff with my youngest, he may make some noise. His older brother I was told has to block, pass, and catch the pigskin from what I was told, also a decent wrestler, but that is the only two I know of. Not sure two sharing the same blood are enough to make waves.

CVCA just exited the conference last week after a 24-year run. The list of girls cross country champions during that time is:
  • CVCA
(Checks notes) … Yep. That’s the list.

I guess I’m sure Minerva would have stepped right in and gone right to the top.

(Pretty sure the boys hold a similar record but would need to confirm that one.)

The last 4 years Minerva would win the PAC with maybe Tuslaw giving them a legit battle the last couple years.
*EDIT* I am speaking of wrestling only.
I actually take some of that back, I forgot there is one kid, incoming freshman, decent wrestler/football player, wrestled some travel stuff with my youngest, he may make some noise. His older brother I was told has to block, pass, and catch the pigskin from what I was told, also a decent wrestler, but that is the only two I know of. Not sure two sharing the same blood are enough to make waves.

His brother is a 2 time state placer and he's already going to Carrolton.

The last 4 years Minerva would win the PAC with maybe Tuslaw giving them a legit battle the last couple years.

Clearly you know exactly who I'm talking about haha, good kids, not surprising making the move there. I would wager to say there has already been some movement (again talking wrestling only) based on final CB numbers that come out next month due to some heavy hitters moving up or down a division for wrestling. Graham to III is probably the biggest change of all, if it happens and it appears it will. Rumor of a couple incomers bailing from there to go to Ed's likely because they don't want to wrestle in DIII. They won't start until final year or two but all in whatcha want.

And now that Louisville will end up in D1 you may see more movement from programs in that area to DII Carrolton where I believe they will stay for awhile..... unless they get a Bellestores and enrollment skyrockets!

And now that Louisville will end up in D1 you may see more movement from programs in that area to DII Carrolton where I believe they will stay for awhile..... unless they get a Bellestores and enrollment skyrockets!
Louisville has a very good program. There could be some movement, but they have some very good classes coming up so I don't think you will see much change for the next few years.

The Carnation City is desperate to dump Minerva off their football schedule.

"Alliance1 said:

Raylan,
I am not insuiating or suggesting that Minerva would have instant success joining the PAC. They are currently awful much like your 1-19 Manchester Panthers the last couple years.

Minerva would 100% be able to compete with Tuslaw last year.

My point is sometimes switching a conference and schedule can rejuvenate a school’s attitude and spirit. Much like when Alliance was terrible and getting pounded in the early 2000’s and switched from the federal league to the old Metro Athletic conference (Salem, Canfield, Niles, Poland, etc) numbers went from the low 20’s to the mid 50’s and 60’s. Two years later and winning the league in 2004 we switched to the NBC because of shorter travel and playing more backyard games with our neighbors to the east and west and south.

The PAC 7 is a great conference. It is mainly a D4-5 league. The EBC is mainly a D3-D4 league. In my opinion, Canton South and Northwest should still be in the EBC/NBC.

Minerva is near the bottom in enrollment for league and from my sources could be dropping to D5 in the next decade. Minerva does have a geography issue with likes of Triway and Orrville and they don’t have a geography issue with being a EBC member. But there is history between canton south and northwest being old NBC members.

I’m not sure why this has started a spark among this thread. I am not a Minerva supporter, I am an Alliance supporter. Minerva Football has been painful to watch. It seems like every new coach they bring in, it’s the same old stuff. Minerva always seems to have decent Middle School teams but they can’t keep kids out when they hit High School.

CVCA just exited the conference last week after a 24-year run. The list of girls cross country champions during that time is:
  • CVCA
(Checks notes) … Yep. That’s the list.

I guess I’m sure Minerva would have stepped right in and gone right to the top.
Now I know beating the likes of Tuslaw, Akron Springfield, and Timken over the last two decades is quite the feat but I just have a feeling the Lions would have had the edge this year for some reason.....
1000003613.jpg

1000003612.jpg

1000003611.png

Your league champion the past two year has been Canton South who has ran away with the tournament since they joined the conference (They were 60 points clear of 2nd place this season) and they have been outplaced by Minerva at North Canton Holiday and Districts. They're likely back to back champs if they're in the PAC and at the very worst #2

Now I know beating the likes of Tuslaw, Akron Springfield, and Timken over the last two decades is quite the feat but I just have a feeling the Lions would have had the edge this year for some reason.....
View attachment 58989
View attachment 58990

View attachment 58991

Your league champion the past two year has been Canton South who has ran away with the tournament since they joined the conference (They were 60 points clear of 2nd place this season) and they have been outplaced by Minerva at North Canton Holiday and Districts. They're likely back to back champs if they're in the PAC and at the very worst #2
Ok, you brought receipts but Tuslaw being middle of the PAC pack in the all sports trophy chase isn't bad at all. This is despite crappy football for the last 5 years and a Washington Generals basketball team with the smallest enrollment in the league.

Tuslaw soccer isn't there and may not ever be....there's a strong traditional old school Massillon sports culture at Tuslaw so soccer will be slow to develop, if ever. Massillon folks of the old trad ways are a bit slow to embrace soccer. Jackson is different with a bigger enrollment and more of an Akron/Cleveland/Non-Ohio transplant population.

Football rules at Tuslaw, people are tired of losing, and now Broc Dial is here. There is no question community urging and pressure helped bring Broc Dial to Tuslaw.

That admin and school board would have had to explain why the winning Dalton coach didn't get an interview or shot at Tuslaw. They didn't want that heat.

Tuslaw had three consecutive successful above .500 football coaches before groundskeeper willy and others brought in the Gullings after Nate Held left.

Tuslaw needs to appreciate Broc Dial's administration career goals of moving up in the public school world and keep him there and let him do his thing. This only blows up if Broc screws up or Tuslaw parents act like clowns or Broc takes a bigger job or takes a job at his alma mater Northwest in 3-4 years when DeMarco leaves or is asked to leave.

Crooked Canal Fulton.

Tuslaw needs to keep Broc Dial. Make him a high level admin.

#PACtion™

PS, I'm all for soccer, too. Make it happen....the MLS Akron-Cleveland Kings FC owned by LeBron & a big Nike influence with a new soccer stadium at the location of the old Richfield Coliseum.

---

The Chicago Bears are clowns and the Steelers, of course, stole a still young QB who played for a talent lacking team. The Bears are as dumm as Chicago City Hall and Lori Hotfoot. 🤡

-----
#PACtion™ meme:

GORMP4YXwAID4zo.jpeg

---

Also we don't want Minerva. No offense. Thanks!

Last edited:
View attachment 58989
View attachment 58990

View attachment 58991

Touché.

Now about that 3-77 football team?

Raylan,
I am not insuiating or suggesting that Minerva would have instant success joining the PAC. They are currently awful much like your 1-19 Manchester Panthers the last couple years.

My point is sometimes switching a conference and schedule can rejuvenate a school’s attitude and spirit. Much like when Alliance was terrible and getting pounded in the early 2000’s and switched from the federal league to the old Metro Athletic conference (Salem, Canfield, Niles, Poland, etc) numbers went from the low 20’s to the mid 50’s and 60’s. Two years later and winning the league in 2004 we switched to the NBC because of shorter travel and playing more backyard games with our neighbors to the east and west and south.

The PAC 7 is a great conference. It is mainly a D4-5 league. The EBC is mainly a D3-D4 league. In my opinion, Canton South and Northwest should still be in the EBC/NBC.

Minerva is near the bottom in enrollment for league and from my sources could be dropping to D5 in the next decade. Minerva does have a geography issue with likes of Triway and Orrville and they don’t have a geography issue with being a EBC member. But there is history between canton south and northwest being old NBC members.

I’m not sure why this has started a spark among this thread. I am not a Minerva supporter, I am an Alliance supporter. Minerva Football has been painful to watch. It seems like every new coach they bring in, it’s the same old stuff. Minerva always seems to have decent Middle School teams but they can’t keep kids out when they hit High School.
Screen+Shot+2013-08-24+at+8.57.25+PM.png

"Thanks Matt Underwear, Rick Manning the Wife Swapper, and Andre NOT....I haven't seen three men with less talent since that time with Chuck Schumer and his two staffers....Anyways my sources in my hometown of Alliance tell me the seasoned citizens are pissed they can't walk laps at the Carnation Mall these days and they're desperate to relocate their downtown off a side street and get Minerva off the Aviators football schedule. Now I'm gonna go have a Marlboro just like Lenny Dawson did at halftime in the Super Bowl. I hope these old people behind me from Rittman don't hit me over the head with their cane. I'm tired of taking shiz from these old bastardz. I wish I was gassy tonight and could release the hounds on these ungrateful pricks. Who would actually buy a $100 ticket to watch this shi*? Bob 99 makes me hot. #PACtion™."

Last edited:
I am not going to be able to golf till football season shows up, I can't leave any of you in charge....I go out today and I come back to Minerva being discussed as a PAC member and their merits are a girls cross country team...now mind you DEI makes us all just so smiley and PC or the world will crucify us...but somebody has to stand tall...The Lions are 3 and 77...can any of you people mention a team that is 2-78. I hate to say this but Minerva has been the worst football team for the last 10 years...how many fans travel for their team...possibly 100...why would the PAC want this

Last edited:
They are currently awful much like your 1-19 Manchester Panthers the last couple years.
At this point in time the above statement is true. But stepping back - Manchester has losing record in 3 of the last 4 years after replacing a HOF coach. But those 3 are the ONLY "losing" seasons they have in the last 15 (probably more, but I'm only looking at Fantastic50). Minerva has 7 "winless" seasons in 9 years. That's a pretty big difference in programs.

(Note - I didn't realize 2 of the 3 wins the Lions have occurred in 2020 in the "hey do you want to keep playing" games the OHSAA authorized after teams were eliminated from the playoffs. Give kudos to those kids & the staff for making the best of a bleak time)
No argument here. They'd probably have been competitive with Tuslaw the last 6 years. But, to their credit, the Mustangs just hired a guy who achieved the most successful seasons in history at a school with a history of being pretty good (Dalton).
My point is sometimes switching a conference and schedule can rejuvenate a school’s attitude and spirit.
I would agree here. The issue I see with Minerva is they might be better off going independent for awhile and, like others suggested, going the "Charmin soft" schedule to try to reestablish their program before they change leagues.
I’m not sure why this has started a spark among this thread. I am not a Minerva supporter, I am an Alliance supporter.
No harm done. That's what #PACtion2024™ is all about - throw out something and see what sticks. No one on here really gets that worked up unless someone goes after a specific kid. It's what you could call a "safe space as long as you don't take yourself too seriously." As long as you're not from Carrollton... ;)

For me, I never figured Minerva would even be an option 1) because while the league is more than just football, it would be a hard sell to bring in a school that's been bad since the class of 2025 was in kindergarten & 2) the league already has too many teams with red as one of their colors. 🤣 All that said, thanks for generating some conversation!

Last edited:
They're actually 3-86 since the start of 2015.
I knew the Lions were bad, but never actually looked at their record until it was brought up a few days ago. Forget adding them to #PACtion2024™, they need an exorcism or something.

Feel bad for the kids. It is statistically impossible to be that bad for that long unless the adults in leadership positions just give up.

I knew the Lions were bad, but never actually looked at their record until it was brought up a few days ago. Forget adding them to #PACtion2024™, they need an exorcism or something.

Feel bad for the kids. It is statistically impossible to be that bad for that long unless the adults in leadership positions just give up.
Minerva has had instability in the AD position over this Gridiron of Woe era. They're on their 4th AD since 2018 after I did a very brief online search.

Minerva's enrollment is about the same size as Carrollton. Yet the Warriors compete in the EBC.....

I've already outlined what Minerva should do but it appears to me they don't have the leadership to execute said plan.

Memorial Day weekend is one of my favorite times of the year. Meat cooked over fire, sunshine (sometimes), campfires, trips to a lake, grad party spreads (why YES I will have 3 more cupcakes, thank you for asking). All sorts of stuff that reminds us how good we have it all converges together.

As a Veteran buddy taught me “it’s the one holiday we don’t say ‘Happy’ in front of it. Instead we remember those that gave us this opportunity & then we honor their sacrifice by celebrating our freedom”

Tip a glass, brat or cupcake in their honor.
American Flag Animation GIF

At this point in time the above statement is true. But stepping back - Manchester has losing record in 3 of the last 4 years after replacing a HOF coach. But those 3 are the ONLY "losing" seasons they have in the last 15 (probably more, but I'm only looking at Fantastic50). Minerva has 7 "winless" seasons in 9 years. That's a pretty big difference in programs.
Just for historical perspective, Since 1970, Manchester has only had four losing seasons; the three you mentioned and 1985. 1985 was the year Koach went on hiatus because the superintendent didn't think he'd have enough time to coach and be the MHS principal. That thinking changed quickly. Since 1945 the Panthers have had roughly 10 losing seasons, though I don't have the official stats.

Minerva has had instability in the AD position over this Gridiron of Woe era. They're on their 4th AD since 2018 after I did a very brief online search.

Minerva's enrollment is about the same size as Carrollton. Yet the Warriors compete in the EBC.....

I've already outlined what Minerva should do but it appears to me they don't have the leadership to execute said plan.
My suggestion on Minerva is this....and it maybe happening...Minerva drops 11 man football and goes to 8 man...plays that schedule but remains in the EBC for every other sport. Takes the time to build positivity back in their football program and is still in a league for all other sports. Howland has just been accepted for football only, and so the rest of the league schedule is the same amount of games. I don't know if this was the idea you suggested Mr Kotite ...but we are not the only ones having a Minerva conversation....the other 7 schools in the EBC are having this same discussion...and 3 and 85 and 12 years is wearing on them. The sad thing in 2010 they were a very good football team....Lake scrimmaged them and they beat us....they were fast. We had a very good team that year...we lost in the state semi's

Last edited:
May as well drop football altogether at that point. Look at the teams playing 8 man, Sebring, Chalker, Stryker, all very small schools. No school with Minerva's enrollment should be playing 8 man.
Enrollment size means nothing when the kids will not go out...8 man means less kids needs to go out....get them winning with a new style and start planning to get back to 11 man...your idea leads them to dropping football totally and now they run the risk of getting booted from the EBC...a school in a league is better then not...look at Louisville. 3 and 86 is not a losing pattern it is a total catastrophe...a normal approach will not really work with their learned behavior of losing...in those 86 games there had to be numerous times they snatched defeat from a game that they should have won...8 man could generate excitement...they don't have to stay at 8 man