#PACtion™ 2024

I ask those because I've got to catch 3 Dalton games in the last 4 years. Dial seems to do a tremendous job of adjusting to his personnel. Each year the offense was different. But always seems to have an identity. What's the potential identity for this team?
That point has been addressed on this site in different threads over the years. Case in point was when he took a year off for his family situation, Dalton went 4-6 running the same offense he had in place the year prior. He came back & changed to a Triway-esque wide open attack because they had a good QB and not much else. They proceeded to go 9-2 averaging 40+ pts a game. The next year when the QB was gone and they went back to the spread run. Since then, their seasons have been ended by JFK, Kirtland, & MSML.

Don't know the guy from Adam, but you'd have to be awful ignorant to not see that he's good at coaching football.

My apologies...didn't want to be a "Troll". This was second hand info I got from a Massillon person.

I was just answering the question about what Tuslaw may have coming back.

You have vast more knowledge about the program then me. I am just very interested in what Dial can do there.

Let's rephrase that original question. How many letterman do they have returning? How many starters on each side? What is their strongest skill position?

I ask those because I've got to catch 3 Dalton games in the last 4 years. Dial seems to do a tremendous job of adjusting to his personnel. Each year the offense was different. But always seems to have an identity. What's the potential identity for this team?
Fair enough, just be careful about what you post & how you phase it especially coming out of nowhere as a first timer; and I can say that because I was the same not all too long ago, just ask @cuyahogacuse, @the123kidz or any of the regulars on here. That being said, I have too much skin in the game to comment on evaluation of said players, but to answer your more general inquiry, they have several returning lettermen (don't know the exact count, I'm not that slow at work today) and more than just kick of coverage or extra point holders. Very young the last few years due to typical small school problems and some classes of extremely low male enrollment, not excuses, just facts. Even with the significant transfers over the past several years, Sophomore (to be Junior's next year) has large numbers and legit talent. The trial by fire experience with some terrible coaching, play calling, limited/poor upperclassman leadership, bad attitudes and delusional parents equaled the poor record last couple of years of significant playing time. Most if not all of those negatives have been resolved.

The kids themselves are for sure not innocent, their H.S. kids and make mistakes in every game, BUT the addition of Dial will at least give them a chance to reach their full potential whatever that may be. Dial doesn't equal a guarantee, but he will tailer to what he's got which to everyone's point is not rocket science and what makes a great coach, especially at the H.S. level. Apologies to the #PACtion nation for regurgitation of this beaten down pony that has already been processed at the glue factory. Let's get back to food talk or which Amish family name can deadlift over 405.

My son played against McElroy from grades 7-10 and they usually lines up against each other. I was honestly surprised he saw the field at Massillon. I have a picture of him at probably 290 pounds in 8th grade and my son at about 115 pounds engaged during a few plays. The size disparity was absurd. His legs were twice the width on my entire son 😂 😂.
It is amazing what can happen when a player like McElroy gets in a strength and conditioning program like they have at Massillon. While there are many factors contributing to the success at the top programs in Ohio, the strength and conditioning programs at Massillon, Hoban, and St Eds are the biggest reasons for their consistent success. There are certainly kids at Tuslaw every year who have the capability of earning their way on the field at Massillon if they were in the Tiger program for an extended period of time.

I post this only because I can.
wawa.PNG

That point has been addressed on this site in different threads over the years. Case in point was when he took a year off for his family situation, Dalton went 4-6 running the same offense he had in place the year prior. He came back & changed to a Triway-esque wide open attack because they had a good QB and not much else. They proceeded to go 9-2 averaging 40+ pts a game. The next year when the QB was gone and they went back to the spread run. Since then, their seasons have been ended by JFK, Kirtland, & MSML.

Don't know the guy from Adam, but you'd have to be awful ignorant to not see that he's good at coaching football.
Fair enough, just be careful about what you post & how you phase it especially coming out of nowhere as a first timer; and I can say that because I was the same not all too long ago, just ask @cuyahogacuse, @the123kidz or any of the regulars on here. That being said, I have too much skin in the game to comment on evaluation of said players, but to answer your more general inquiry, they have several returning lettermen (don't know the exact count, I'm not that slow at work today) and more than just kick of coverage or extra point holders. Very young the last few years due to typical small school problems and some classes of extremely low male enrollment, not excuses, just facts. Even with the significant transfers over the past several years, Sophomore (to be Junior's next year) has large numbers and legit talent. The trial by fire experience with some terrible coaching, play calling, limited/poor upperclassman leadership, bad attitudes and delusional parents equaled the poor record last couple of years of significant playing time. Most if not all of those negatives have been resolved.

The kids themselves are for sure not innocent, their H.S. kids and make mistakes in every game, BUT the addition of Dial will at least give them a chance to reach their full potential whatever that may be. Dial doesn't equal a guarantee, but he will tailer to what he's got which to everyone's point is not rocket science and what makes a great coach, especially at the H.S. level. Apologies to the #PACtion nation for regurgitation of this beaten down pony that has already been processed at the glue factory. Let's get back to food talk or which Amish family name can deadlift over 405.
Correct. Tuslaw will be close to their maximum potential this season. It might take Dial some time to fully implement his system in a program that has been downtrodden for years, but they will be better almost instantly with Dial at the helm. It might have been his first year at Dalton when they started the season off really strong. Then Norwayne beat them by 50+ points in the middle of the season. The talent and expectation gaps between the two programs were too great for Dial to overcome that quickly. I am sure Tuslaw will run into some situations like that in year 1 this fall. Tuslaw will be a well oiled machine in year 2. There is a reason Dalton will not play them. Their reason for not playing Tuslaw is as pathetic as the reason Tuslaw dropped Dalton in the first place. Losing a game like this is not the end of the world. It is not like the kids on the losing team are in physical danger in these games. Administrators on both sides have made these things much bigger than they actually are. Dalton vs Tuslaw is a small school football game that very few people outside of those communities even realize is a rivalry. Strap up your gear and play.

It is amazing what can happen when a player like McElroy gets in a strength and conditioning program like they have at Massillon. While there are many factors contributing to the success at the top programs in Ohio, the strength and conditioning programs at Massillon, Hoban, and St Eds are the biggest reasons for their consistent success. There are certainly kids at Tuslaw every year who have the capability of earning their way on the field at Massillon if they were in the Tiger program for an extended period of time.
Spot on! Successful H.S. football teams start in the weight room, nothing most of us on this thread no doubt doesn't already know. I don't know the exact time, but my youngest son knows an incoming Freshman at Massillon and they lift before school extremely early and it's not ho hum, All out focus, energy, support kids gathering around for max days etc.

Lifting before school is a huge advantage in my opinion. I know for a fact Fairless and Garroway does the before school thing as well, so school size shouldn't matter for this level of commitment. Get it in, get it done before school, gives the kids afternoons for other things or a second workout, or for the winter/spring/summer athletes, they are able to have that workout as well and still participate in another sport.

Correct. Tuslaw will be close to their maximum potential this season. It might take Dial some time to fully implement his system in a program that has been downtrodden for years, but they will be better almost instantly with Dial at the helm. It might have been his first year at Dalton when they started the season off really strong. Then Norwayne beat them by 50+ points in the middle of the season. The talent and expectation gaps between the two programs were too great for Dial to overcome that quickly. I am sure Tuslaw will run into some situations like that in year 1 this fall. Tuslaw will be a well oiled machine in year 2. There is a reason Dalton will not play them. Their reason for not playing Tuslaw is as pathetic as the reason Tuslaw dropped Dalton in the first place. Losing a game like this is not the end of the world. It is not like the kids on the losing team are in physical danger in these games. Administrators on both sides have made these things much bigger than they actually are. Dalton vs Tuslaw is a small school football game that very few people outside of those communities even realize is a rivalry. Strap up your gear and play.
A lot to unpack here, IMO, but not in a bad way.

Dalton vs Tuslaw is a small school football game that very few people outside of those communities even realize is a rivalry. Strap up your gear and play.

This is because for the last 30-35 years the Tuslaw admin went out of their way to promote "the Bleu Cup." I was there in that era. In the 1980's when we were youth it was common thinking that Northwest and Dalton were every bit as big of a rivalry as Fairless. But then around 1991 when Bob Geiger was hired as HC at Tuslaw all emphasis was put on "The Bleu Cup" as the main rivalry of the school. The admin bought into it and never let it go.

There is a reason Dalton will not play them. Their reason for not playing Tuslaw is as pathetic as the reason Tuslaw dropped Dalton in the first place. Losing a game like this is not the end of the world. It is not like the kids on the losing team are in physical danger in these games. Administrators on both sides have made these things much bigger than they actually are.

Agreed. I think the previous Tuslaw AD, known as groundskeeper willy by @playoffs, and the previous football HC Julio Gulling (Matt Gulling, Mark Gulling, I can't keep track of them, so I'll call him Julio) had a lot to with that pathetic decision to stop playing Dalton. But then again, groundskeeper willy came up through the era of the Tuslaw admin emphasizing The Bleu Cup above all opponents.

The Gullings are from Louisville and never really had a connection with Tuslaw. I will argue that Broc Dial does and will have a connection because his dad Gary Dial was HC at Northwest (even back in my ancient era of the 80's when the Mustangs and Indians faced each other) and Broc coached against the Mustangs prior to the series being dropped.

As for Dalton now not wanting to play Tuslaw....that's simply a butt hurt reaction to losing their coach IMO. Tuslaw hiring Dial was the right thing to do and even the dorks in the Ohio Legislature, who are some of the dumbest people on the planet, would have hired Broc Dial if presented with the information.

Last edited:
Well said. And, to @Playoffs??? point, it’s not limited to big schools. Kirtland has made it a tradition to post pictures of their weight room attendance the morning after their inevitable state title game.

That kind of dedication doesn’t come easy. It’s a casserole of kids, coaching, facilities, and family/community that all need to be in balance to make it work

This is an important distinction. You can have kids show up to the weight room - great! But if you don't lift with intent - just like if you don't practice with intent - then you aren't getting better.
BOOM! Big difference between “weight room is open” vs an actual program.

Curious @cuyahogacuse take. His son plays at a premier NCAA D3 program. Some look down at that level but the truth is a quality D3 program is closer to NFL than it is to the average HS in the work that is required

Well said. And, to @Playoffs??? point, it’s not limited to big schools. Kirtland has made it a tradition to post pictures of their weight room attendance the morning after their inevitable state title game.

That kind of dedication doesn’t come easy. It’s a casserole of kids, coaching, facilities, and family/community that all need to be in balance to make it work
Back in the day kids would kill to reach the 870lb, 920lb, or 1000 lb club or whatever numbers they are using these days. Ironman as well which uses a more % based calculation to showcase the pound for pound strongest kids. My guess is some form of those still exist at the successful programs as they should be!

Curious @cuyahogacuse take. His son plays at a premier NCAA D3 program. Some look down at that level but the truth is a quality D3 program is closer to NFL than it is to the average HS in the work that is required
I've heard the same about D2, ton of quality development going on at that level and not as much or any worry about transfer portals.

I've heard the same about D2, ton of quality development going on at that level and not as much or any worry about transfer portals.
This is correct. Having a nephew play football for a D2 college, I observed this.

In Ohio, however, I'd say academically the D3 colleges are better than the D2 schools. A Denison, or a Kenyon, or College of Wooster academically smoke the Tiffin's, Findlay's, and Ashland's of the world. And look at D2 Notre Dame College....closed....while Bluffton is merging with Findlay.

This is correct. Having a nephew play football for a D2 college, I observed this.

In Ohio, however, I'd say academically the D3 colleges are better than the D2 schools. A Denison, or a Kenyon, or College of Wooster academically smoke the Tiffin's, Findlay's, and Ashland's of the world. And look at D2 Notre Dame College....closed....while Bluffton is merging with Findlay.
For sure, to gain the best D2 advantages, going to have to jump on the big bird and head west.

PACtion™ is moving almost too fast for me to keep up. I’m already a day late (again) on this week’s PAC Game of the Year post and it looks like that won’t get finished before the weekend.

Said son is home from college and his beater truck kicked the bucket. So with @the123kidz no longer in the business, we spent the better part of the last 36 hours finding him a new vehicle before he starts his internship next week.

You guys are spot on regarding the weight room focus, and @thePITman hit the nail on the head. The teams that win at all levels are all in all the time. That’s true at the Top 10 D3 program level, and it’s most definitely true in conferences like the PAC. Remember the posts from Kirtland about the majority of their team showing up to lift the morning after winning their most recent state championship? Winning culture is winning culture 24/7/365 and it is passed from one class to the next.

This is an important distinction. You can have kids show up to the weight room - great! But if you don't lift with intent - just like if you don't practice with intent - then you aren't getting better.
Lake is trying to schedule an athletic study hall...I guess you can call it that....To be the last period of the day...that way all kids can get to the weight room....and we can stay up with other teams in the Fed...they have this set up at their schools...I don't know which ones have this thou

"The River is a stream." - Facebook comment.

1715362775093.png

One of their account executives (sales) in the comments to this Facebook post said local sports would be on 960 WKVX. What does that cover at night time? Wooster city limits?

The morning show is the same as The River 104.9 in Columbus (Gahanna).

Last edited:
One of their account executives (sales) in the comments to this Facebook post said local sports would be on 960 WKVX. What does that cover at night time? Wooster city limits?
Conversations this fall in WCAL land -

Honey, do you want to go to our grandson's game?

It looks like it might rain so let's just listen on the radio

Ok. I'll get my coat and we can drive to the McDonalds on Hillcrest and sit in the parking lot so we can get good reception.

🤣

1715364493413.png

D3 weight room: I use the gym at Oberlin College. About a month ago they hired a guy to train the football team. He really got on them, kept them going and doing things right. I watched as the athletes complained, picked on each other, and tried to get in line with the requirements of winning. I thought, man, they keep this up they might improve. Well, was in there today- lots of standing around watching other guys lift. The guy tried I guess but I'm expecting a similar result as years past. You have to maximize your time in the gym to make it count.

PAC Game of the Year - 2009 | CVCA (7-2, 5-1 PAC) at Manchester (8-1, 6-0 PAC) | Week 10 | October 30, 2009
This is the eleventh in an ongoing series, highlighting the PAC Game of the Year in each season, from 1999 through 2023, which will lead up to the start of the 2024 high school football season. For a look back at prior summaries, click here for 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008.

This series has chronicled the dominance of the Manchester Panthers over the first 16 years of PAC play. But after that 2004 season, the bloom was a bit off the rose in Panther-land. Sure, Manchester had a 9-1 season in 2005, but they lost the PAC championship that year in a head-to-head matchup with Tusky Valley. After that, consecutive seasons of 7-3, 5-5 and 7-3 followed. The 2007 and 2008 teams finished fifth and fourth, respectively, in conference play. So when 2009 rolled around, not a single Panther player had won a conference title. And there was no postseason experience either. The Panthers had missed the playoffs in three straight seasons.

The Panthers season began at home with a 34-21 win at home against Division 5 Smithville. But they tripped up the next week at Coshocton in a 21-13 loss. It turns out the Redskins were pretty good, as they went on to be state semifinalists in Division 4. Week 3 saw the Panthers bounce back with a big 48-7 win at home against Black River. And with the nonconference schedule out of the way, the Panthers dispatched of Triway 34-20 at home in Week 4. The Titans were coming off an 8-2 regular season and were one point away from a perfect spot after a narrow 28-27 opening night loss to West Holmes. So, with four weeks in the books, it appeared the 2009 Panthers were on to something.

The season played out and pointed toward a culmination in Week 10 at James R. France Stadium. CVCA had won a share of the PAC title in 2008 and entered the 2009 season with a 26-4 record over the prior three regular seasons. The first true dominating era of CVCA football was entering its fourth season and Alex Utley was carrying the rock for the Royals. But the season's first half didn't exactly go according to plan. Ray Carroscia's crew eked out a 19-18 road win in the opener against East Canton, but followed that up with a 34-24 loss at home to a pedestrian Norwayne team that would go on to go just 5-5 in Week 2. After an unusual 6-2 victory over a mediocre LaBrae team in Week 3, the Royals entered conference play at 2-1, but with much room for improvement. They righted the ship against Tusky Valley in Week 4 by a score of 35-14, but got stomped 27-6 by Triway in Week 5. Halfway through the season, playing for a conference championship by season's end seemed like a far-off thought. But the scheduled softened in the second half. The Royals emerged victorious in two overtimes against Tuslaw, and put together a four-game winning streak with wins against Fairless, Timken, Indian Valley.

Remember that win by the Panthers in Week 4? Turns out it was the last game Manchester would play against a team with a winning record as well, until Week 10. Triway kept winning and suddenly Week 10 arrived and if the Royals could defeat Manchester for the fourth year in a row, with Triway playing lowly Timken in Week 10, there was the potential for a three-way tie for the conference championship.

The day dawned with a crisp feel in the air. The morning temps were in the mid-40's, but the mercury kept rising. Despite a couple back-to-back days with seasonable temps in the 50's, this Friday before Halloween saw the gametime temperature rise to 70°, and it stayed there througout the contest.

CVCA was playing for their playoff lives. Coming it at #7 in Division 4 Region 13, it was a win-an-in scenario, and the Royals struck first when Nathan Rosenberger was on the receiving end of a 29-yard toss from quarterback Antonio Carroscia. But Manchester senior Craig Dougherty got the Panthers even with a two yard plunge in the second quarter, and the teams went to the half tied at 7-7.

We didn't want to share the PAC [title]," Dougherty said, "We had to win the PAC outright. If we lost, we shared it with two other teams. We didn't want that.", Dougherty told Jonas Fortune of The Akron Beacon Journal after the game.

No, the Panthers would not be sharing the title, and they used a dominating second half to resume their traditional place atop the PAC standings. Dougherty had been held to just 48 first half yards by the Royals defense. He finished the game with 212 yards and three touchdowns.

"The second half, our offensive line kind of dominated them," said Coach France.

Senior Brit Hunter put the Panthers up for the first time on a one-yard dive into the endzone in the third quarter, and then Manchester surprised CVCA on the next possession when they attempted and completed their only pass play of the second half (after being 2 for 8 for 28 yards through the air in the first 24 minutes). Senior tight end John Reinart hauled in a 33-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Steve King to put the Panthers up two scores late in the third.

The Royals wouldn't go without a fight as junior Alex Utley rumbled 59 yards to the end zone to make it 21-14 Panthers entering the fourth quarter. But that's where Dougherty put his imprint on his final regular season game on the famed field at James R. France Stadium.

Just four plays after the Utley score, on the first play of the final stanza, King handed off to Dougherty, who ran to the left boundary. Jonas Fortune tells the story of what came next.

Dougherty electrified the crowd ... First he ran to the left before cutting back across the field, pancaking a CVCA defender in the process, before shooting up the right sideline for a 65-yard touchdown run to make the score 28-14.

"That was the most tiring play I think I have ever run," Dougherty said.

The Panthers led 28-14 and the Royals would get no closer as Dougherty closed out the scoring with another 10-yard touchdown run.

After five years, the Panthers were finally back on top as champions of the PAC. It was the 18th conference title for the storied Manchester program. And Craig Dougherty added his name to the long list of players that led Manchester to the top when he was named PAC Player of the Year after the conclusion of the season. And if you want to check him out, here's a link to some grainy YouTube highlights of the Manchester star from 2009.

The Postscript

Manchester's PAC championship season earned them a home playoff game as the 4-seed in Division 4 Region 13, but the season ended a week after the CVCA win when the Lakeview Bulldogs out of Trumbull County upset the Panthers 24-13.

Despite the Week 10 loss, the math worked out for CVCA, who snuck into the playoffs as the 7-seed. But it was one-and-done for the Royals, who bowed out in a 42-7 loss to Girard.

Triway's 8-2 regular season earned them the 4-seed in Division 4 Region 14, but the home game didn't help, as they suffered a 28-14 loss to Ottawa-Glandorf in Week 11.

Here is the game story from the ABJ, for reference.

CVCA_Manchester_2009_Story_1.png

CVCA_Manchester_2009_Story_2.png

CVCA_Manchester_2009_Box.png

MAn, PACtion has really gotted LOOSE here recently, y'all! Smoove beent out and aboucht tryin' to teach peeps about how to Mow Lawns, treatin' elderly Concessionary Chickies wit' love and respectification, and that not all chickies that be over 70 are frumpy librarian....NOPE, that one was quite firm, and actually had it goin' on and on and on for a quite a night....
So, Smoove need to be brought up to snuff on the infom on if BellStores gonna be the headlining feature sponsor of PACtion in 2024......

PAC Game of the Year - 2009 | CVCA (7-2, 5-1 PAC) at Manchester (8-1, 6-0 PAC) | Week 10 | October 30, 2009
This is the eleventh in an ongoing series, highlighting the PAC Game of the Year in each season, from 1999 through 2023, which will lead up to the start of the 2024 high school football season. For a look back at prior summaries, click here for 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008.
After all these years, the secret to the Panthers success is revealed. It's not top notch coaching. Not the timely move-ins. Not the mystique of the neighborhood fires. Nope. Look at the pictures below. It's the shoulder pads. Big shoulder pads made their kids look & feel bigger & stronger than they were. Same logic the Fab 5 used with their shorts . . .

1715604433291.png

1715604460854.png

Last edited:
Monday morning memes. #PACtion™

1. 🤡🤡🤡🤡

Gene is so passive aggressive.....good riddance.

1715606222761.png

2. Newman Elementary School Library '84. OK, not really but it could have happened:

1715606333304.jpeg

3. But I still think we should take Greenland and Antarctica:

1715606372851.jpeg

4. Youngstown Cheney.....

1715606408230.jpeg

5. This is East of Lake Milton #tuffness. Do not debate with Mahoning Valley people. Ever.

1715606462247.jpeg

6. Happy belated Mother's Day. Nixon is still popular in Meadowlake Estates and the John George's card table.

1715606507394.png

7. But I don't want to build those white picket fences in New Albany, Bibi.....

1715606555393.jpeg

Last edited:
After all these years, the secret to the Panthers success is revealed. It's not top notch coaching. Not the timely move-in. Not the mystique of the neighborhood fires. Nope. Look at the pictures below. It's the shoulder pads. Big shoulder pads made their kids look & feel bigger & stronger than they were. Same logic the Fab 5 used with their shorts . . .

View attachment 58559

View attachment 58560
As far as tuffness goes I would NEVER put the Fab 5 in the same sentence as Koach's Panthers. The Fab 5 was the beginning of the ESPN sports entertainment creations.

A powder puff flag football game at Our Lady of the Elms has 9,000,000 times more tuffness than The Fab 5.

It made my sporting year to see Juwan Howard get canned as UM basketball coach.

There is a level of tuffness with the big Panther shoulder pads that you just can't measure. It has a lot of heart much like the old Cope Pharmacy.

Koach walking into Cope Pharmacy to visit the soda fountain would be peak level #PACtion™.

Last edited: