#PACtion™ 2024

MAn, PACtion has really gotted LOOSE here recently, y'all! Smoove beent out and aboucht tryin' to teach peeps about how to Mow Lawns, treatin' elderly Concessionary Chickies wit' love and respectification, and that not all chickies that be over 70 are frumpy librarian....NOPE, that one was quite firm, and actually had it goin' on and on and on for a quite a night....
So, Smoove need to be brought up to snuff on the infom on if BellStores gonna be the headlining feature sponsor of PACtion in 2024......
Smoove.....BellStores runs #PACtion™. That was decided a long time ago.

We need to bring back The Suburbanite weekly paper to keep Smoove in the loop.

Some recent stuff collected off of the Twitterverse (do we still call it that?)...

Looks like some sprucing up of the home grandstands to support future Ring of Fire celebrations at Fairless:

And some of the Falcons working hard in the offseason:

CVCA was a host site and one of nine Akron area schools (Stow, Kent Roosevelt, CVCA, Cuyahoga Falls, Barberton, STVM, Copley, Ellet and Streetsboro) that participated last week in an Akron Area Showcase that attracted coaches from 35 colleges

The Royals Ricky Levak and Logan Scranton officially committed to Mount Union last week:

CVCA's Joey Kopec picked up his second D1 offer following the Akron Showcase - from Kent State. Expect that there will be much more on Kopec this summer and fall, with interest in the rising junior picking up steam. Kopec capped off his week as PAC Champion in the 100m and 200m dashes at the PAC Track & Field Championships.

1 of 2 (due to limit of 5 media inserts)

Smoove.....BellStores runs #PACtion™. That was decided a long time ago.

We need to bring back The Suburbanite weekly paper to keep Smoove in the loop.
Can Smoove get a subscriptionation to this Suburbanite thingy? Smoove want to buy some stockation in BellStores so that Smoove can enjoy the fruit of y'allz labor by collectin' some of Smoove's money back that Smoove spendifies on beer, candy and DeVitis sammiches!!!!

The Royals Ricky Levak and Logan Scranton officially committed to Mount Union last week:
Great stuff as always, 'Cuse. Congrats to the fellas for signing with Mount. Wish them the best.

As a friend of mine, whose son was at Mount for football awhile back, likes to say "Mount is a great place. Until they bring in a younger kid from out of state that plays the same position as you. That's when the tough decisions start."

Fairless, Ohio?
Maybe Bethlehem and Sugar Creek Townships can go the route of the old Franklin Township (Summit County) and become a city like New Franklin. Merge in the villages of Brewster, Beach City, Navarre, and Wilmot.

What can go wrong with a bigger government? But losing the Beach City Police Department speed trap would be heart breaking.

Fairless, Ohio.

Where's the Silent Flock to lend an observation to this?

1715629230273.png

Last edited:
Can Smoove get a subscriptionation to this Suburbanite thingy? Smoove want to buy some stockation in BellStores so that Smoove can enjoy the fruit of y'allz labor by collectin' some of Smoove's money back that Smoove spendifies on beer, candy and DeVitis sammiches!!!!
Smoove: The Suburbanite went el defuncto much like one of your favorite places, Steve's Motel on SR 619.

Last edited:
Maybe Bethlehem and Sugar Creek Townships can go the route of the old Franklin Township (Summit County) and become a city like New Franklin. Merge in the villages of Brewster, Beach City, Navarre, and Wilmot.

What can go wrong with a bigger government? But losing the Beach City Police Department speed trap would be heart breaking.

Fairless, Ohio.

Where's the Silent Flock to lend an observation to this?

View attachment 58581
As long as they keep the lawn waste dump site since they did away with the one at the Tusc Township garage, added a whole 10 minutes to my round-trip grass clippings and shrubbery whack backs in the fall!

@thePITman any chance you know an umpire that does some local games known as "Diamond Dave"? I was just introduced via a voice mail he left for my buddy at work that used to coach at Waynedale. Colorful fellow all fired up about doing his first DIII playoff game on Wednesday at Waynedale....

As long as they keep the lawn waste dump site since they did away with the one at the Tusc Township garage, added a whole 10 minutes to my round-trip grass clippings and shrubbery whack backs in the fall!
The Tuscarawas Township regime got caught up in the non-stop losing of the Julio Gulling era.

Broc Dial is going to be the Mustang Miracle Worker and he'll convince the township to bring back lawn waste dump sites.

The winning is gonna be absolutely contagious.

The Country Inn will reopen on Lincoln Way West.
Bowdil will cease being the Village of Woe.
The Buckeye Motel will get fixed up.
East Greenville will look like New Albany.
Potholes on Lincoln Way will get patched.
Muffly Ave SW will regain its tuffness.
LaMoore's will reopen.
Nastoff's Little Store will return at 93 & Wooster Street.
The Mustang Mart at 93 & Orrville Street will return.
BellStores will build Tuslaw an indoor football practice facility and indoor swimming pool.
Perennial Vineyards will reopen on Poorman Street.

Unbelievable winning.

Last edited:
Great stuff as always, 'Cuse. Congrats to the fellas for signing with Mount. Wish them the best.

As a friend of mine, whose son was at Mount for football awhile back, likes to say "Mount is a great place. Until they bring in a younger kid from out of state that plays the same position as you. That's when the tough decisions start."
There’s an obvious connection between CVCA and UMU now with Nick Cook, a Mount Union alum at the helm.

Both of these guys can play, as anyone who has watched more than a few PACtion™ games over the last four years can attest.

That said, when our family went through the recruiting process, one of the things that stood out was the UMU roster size. It’s not unusual for many D3 programs to have 100-120 players on the roster. Everyone pays tuition. Athletic programs and admissions departments both need bodies.

At Mount Union, however, the roster size was 137 in 2020. If falls to reason that not everybody will play.

Our son chose a different path. There’s no right or wrong answer. But no one can fault the Mount Union tradition.

FWIW, former CVCA receiver Andre Price ‘20 (older brother of Dreylin) has also landed in Alliance this coming fall after playing and contributing in his first three post-covid years at Bluffton. I would expect Andre to compete for playing time right away, as he has produced against D3 competition already.

Question for small college football Ohio fans:

Are Ohio D2 schools like Findlay, Ashland, or Tiffin REALLY better than D3 Mount or a John Carroll?

I suspect no.

I had family play at Findlay (played very well, too) and I'm curious. My eyeballs say no and like Bill Belichick said in Cleveland in 1993 after cutting The Bernster of Boardman: I can only go by what I see.

Are Ohio D2 schools like Findlay, Ashland, or Tiffin REALLY better than D3 Mount or a John Carroll?

I suspect no.

I had family play at Findlay (played very well, too) and I'm curious. My eyeballs say no and like Bill Belichick said in Cleveland in 1993 after cutting The Bernster of Boardman: I can only go by what I see.
Good question. I love D3 ball so want to say that they are absolutely as good as D2, but I just don't know.

As @cuyahogacuse pointed out awhile back, D2 has evolved itself into "super jock" land where the schools seemed to have sold their souls for athletics. How's that going? (hint: not good, not good at all) That said, D2 does have a higher level of athletic talent/size.

All that said, you make an average D2 school play a schedule full of D3 top 25 teams and I don't think it would go that well for them.

Below are links to how many coaches Mount has produced and the number of John Carroll guys working in the NFL. Some pretty crazy #s for a couple of schools in NE Ohio.

Yes, I definitely do.

Uh Oh Omg GIF by ESPN
Sounds like a gem of an umpire, was told he restricted my co-worker to the dugout, coaching JV at Waynedale at the time, due to a hairline crack in a kid's helmet, stated OHSAA rules that managers must inspect all equipment before games. Funny guy from what I heard, not sure his actual skills in terms of calling a game, but entertaining stories to say the least and was told you likely knew of him. All that said, at least he's doing it in this day in age of umpire shortages.

I'm not defending poor umpiring by any means, we all know there is bad officiating everywhere in every sport but as you and many on here well know, the old fellas are getting older and tired of putting up with ridiculous fans, parents, coaches and kids. He*l, as a freshman, we had to officiate Jackson's youth basketball program's which was 5th grade and under at the time and that was enough for me to never want to go down that path and officiate anything!

It's like the pipeline from Hiland to Malone and MVNU. They could have the next Paul Skenes, and he'd still end up pitching for Grand Canyon University.
Definitely something in the water at Hiland, they continue to pump them out. I know a kid that played travel with my oldest; sophomore lefty throwing in the mid-80's that did not crack the varsity lineup 😳

It's like the pipeline from Hiland to Malone and MVNU. They could have the next Paul Skenes, and he'd still end up pitching for Grand Canyon University.
Funny you mention this. Admittedly, I'm a little slow on pop culture - perhaps because I spend too much time on Yappi. But this tweet shows up in my feed the other day.

I mentioned this over the weekend on Saturday morning to my college age kids who had just returned home, saying something along the lines of "Why is Livvy Dunne" showing up in my MLB feed? The conversation that followed went something like this.

Son #2: "You know who Livvy Dunne is?"
Son #1: "You don't know Paul Skenes?"
Wife: "Who is Livvy Dunne?"

It was at that point that I knew I was on thin ice with every member of the family.

Last edited:

I suspect no.

@Rich Kotite ... it took me a while to unearth this tweet from ESPN's Bill Connelly from last fall. It's certainly not scientific, but it's relevant for this topic. It is a Week 8 2023 ranking of all 665 NCAA college football teams. NAIA is not included in this list, but even without those schools, it adds value.

It shows that North Central and Mount Union (ranked 222 and 224, respectively) are better than all but 13 NCAA D2 programs. For reference, Tiffin, based here in Ohio, was ranked at 219, which would mean a game between Tiffin and either North Central or Mount Union would be a PICK-EM game.

Interestingly, both UMU and North Central will be sending WRs to NFL camps this summer. The Purple Raiders' Wayne Ruby has signed with Jacksonville. And North Central's DeAngelo Hardy has signed with the Ravens. Both players can ball (and as a Wheaton parent, I'm thankful to finally see Hardy move on!).

Just as interesting, to me, is Connelly had Cortland as his sixth best D3 team after Week 8. They were not ranked nearly that high in the D3football.com polls at any point in the year, but went on to win the national championship.

Some other interesting takeaways:
  • There's not much difference between D1 Kent State (179) and Mount Union (224)
  • There are 53 FCS teams ranked lower than the top D3 team (North Central)
  • Colgate checked in at 228 - or six slots below North Central. Wheaton's only regular season loss was to North Central, and they played the Cardinals closer than anyone all season until the final two round of the D3 playoffs.
  • Being Cuse fans, the Orange laid a 65-0 pasting on Colgate; ergo, we assumed it would be about a 70-point spread between mid-level ACC Syracuse and the top-level of D3.
All fun with numbers. Not perfect, of course, but I think it gives you the context you're looking for.

Funny you mention this. Admittedly, I'm a little slow on pop culture - perhaps because I spend too much time on Yappi. But this tweet shows up in my feed the other day.

I mentioned this over the weekend on Saturday morning to my college age kids who had just returned home, saying something along the lines of "Why is Livvy Dunne" showing up in my MLB feed? The conversation that followed went something like this.

Son #2: "You know who Livvy Dunne is?"
Son #1: "You don't know Paul Skenes?"
Wife: "Who is Livvy Dunne?"

It was at that point that I knew I was on thin ice with every member of the family.
Okay, this is GOLD!

Baby Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Good question. I love D3 ball so want to say that they are absolutely as good as D2, but I just don't know.

As @cuyahogacuse pointed out awhile back, D2 has evolved itself into "super jock" land where the schools seemed to have sold their souls for athletics. How's that going? (hint: not good, not good at all) That said, D2 does have a higher level of athletic talent/size.

All that said, you make an average D2 school play a schedule full of D3 top 25 teams and I don't think it would go that well for them.

Below are links to how many coaches Mount has produced and the number of John Carroll guys working in the NFL. Some pretty crazy #s for a couple of schools in NE Ohio.

D2 has evolved itself into "super jock" land where the schools seemed to have sold their souls for athletics. How's that going? (hint: not good, not good at all)

I went to Ashland. I'd say Ashland's federal government level of debt run up by prior El Presidente Carlos Campo is testament to your observation. So much for being a "conservative" school with fiscal management; I'd say with that level of spending they're CONservatives just like DC & Columbus.

Ashland academics are mid (what does The Ashbrook Center really do other than invite washed up politicians or cabinet members to campus? Although getting Vivek recently was cool.) but they REALLY have emphasized sports even more now then when I went there. Does Ashland really need some of the sports that they offer? TBF, I did love having Lee Owens as football coach for years. Ashland U was the perfect job for him.

The long-time Ashland U football coach Fred Martinelli was a nice enough guy when I met him (he just retired prior to when I met him) but he sure didn't like the paper that I wrote: Should Ashland drop down to Division 3? He was the coach who spearheaded Ashland into Division 2 and he kept referring to their former D3 rival Wooster as the COW. He did not think much of the Fighting Scots. LOL.

I did get a good grade on the paper.

As for some of the other Ohio D2 schools, Findlay's campus IMO was, honestly, sad and Tiffin is even worse. Findlay has played pretty good football while using the team name "Oilers" due to Findlay, Ohio, being the HQ of Marathon Oil which just happens to be.....the gas supplier for our beloved BellStores.

Findlay bulked my nephew up in the weight room and not in the pork rinds and candy bar way. NFL scouts routinely came to observe practices. Off the top of my head I recall the Bears and Indy Dolts visited. The coach, Rob Keys, left UF to join Ryan Day's staff coaching special teams and if you know Buckeye football, they should not offer raises in pay to any special teams coach at Ohio State based on the last couple of years.

Last edited:
@Rich Kotite ... it took me a while to unearth this tweet from ESPN's Bill Connelly from last fall. It's certainly not scientific, but it's relevant for this topic. It is a Week 8 2023 ranking of all 665 NCAA college football teams. NAIA is not included in this list, but even without those schools, it adds value.

It shows that North Central and Mount Union (ranked 222 and 224, respectively) are better than all but 13 NCAA D2 programs. For reference, Tiffin, based here in Ohio, was ranked at 219, which would mean a game between Tiffin and either North Central or Mount Union would be a PICK-EM game.

Interestingly, both UMU and North Central will be sending WRs to NFL camps this summer. The Purple Raiders' Wayne Ruby has signed with Jacksonville. And North Central's DeAngelo Hardy has signed with the Ravens. Both players can ball (and as a Wheaton parent, I'm thankful to finally see Hardy move on!).

Just as interesting, to me, is Connelly had Cortland as his sixth best D3 team after Week 8. They were not ranked nearly that high in the D3football.com polls at any point in the year, but went on to win the national championship.

• Colgate checked in at 228 - or six slots below North Central. Wheaton's only regular season loss was to North Central, and they played the Cardinals closer than anyone all season until the final two round of the D3 playoffs.
  • Being Cuse fans, the Orange laid a 65-0 pasting on Colgate; ergo, we assumed it would be about a 70-point spread between mid-level ACC Syracuse and the top-level of D3.
All fun with numbers. Not perfect, of course, but I think it gives you the context you're looking for.
Cuse- you are a content King! No wonder you don’t know who anyone is (I was with you BTW), finding nuggets like this are gold!

Thanks for posting this. And I really....REALLY....appreciate the breakdown of the chart because today, of all days, I'm without reader glasses so there's no way I could read that chart until I get some new readers.

I could have stopped and got some readers this morning on the way to work. But I drove past the drug store and got tacos for breakfast. It's taco Tuesday, after all.
View attachment 58616
Here you go in jpg format I believe. Save it. Blow it up so you can read it. (I had to.)
Look at #664 on the list. The Oberlin Yeo-People are tuff when it comes to studying music or campus protests, however.

If the Mustangs can't turn it around under Broc Dial then I vote for Tuslaw to become the Oberlin of #PACtion.

Just become the most anti-sports extreme Marxist radical school in the whole league and dare to be thrown out. Even though that's 100% opposite of the community's culture, I say that might be worth going for.

Stand out from the crowd.

The first all vegan concession stand. Non-binary/non gender bathrooms. No scores kept on the scoreboard. No mascot or name for the teams. No music at the games but guest speakers before the game discussing the glory of Noam Chomsky and other topics like Hegel and Marx dialectical materialism.

Let's face it: Oberlin College could be just another #275 like Ashland University and no one would remember them. They're all-in being not just bad, but the second worst of all the bads. They are so bad they just miss out being #665. They can't even win that award. Fitchburg State does.

Last edited:
I have to go to a lacrosse match and when I come back we are talking D2..D3...college....Livvy Dunne (who)...Paul Skenes (who)...I sometimes I wonder about you gentleman....our solid base is high school ball...especially Stark and Summit County...and food...Stark, Summit, Holmes, Wayne, and every now and then Tuscarawas county...never Carroll County...and then you have branched into talk about baseball officiating....what the hell is going on here!