PAC 2023

Since this thread has been all over everywhere from food to bad jokes...Mr. Slippery..how is it that you have so much information!....or Yoda, is it you are.......lol
Just gotta know where to look and possibly also have a subscription to the proper site where archived newspapers are available. Some are free to access online via library card if said library subscribes to the site. For example, my library card allows me to access NewspaperArchive via my library's website.

NewspaperArchive is a bit clunky to use, but you can find things there. I actually prefer Newspapers.com, but I have a paid subscription to it which is not cheap. However, they often have promotional discounts around certain holidays, and you can also sign up for a free 7-day trial.

Last 4-5 years of the Rep are archived online via NewsBank and can be accessed via a Stark County District Library card. Text-based Rep articles are available online back to about 1999. If you want the image-based material prior to 2018 or 2019, you must go to the main library and do the microfilm thing.

Last edited:
Just gotta know where to look and possibly also have a subscription to the proper site where archived newspapers are available. Some are free to access online via library card if said library subscribes to the site. For example, my library card allows me to access NewspaperArchive via my library's website.

NewspaperArchive is a bit clunky to use, but you can find things there. I actually prefer Newspapers.com, but I have a paid subscription to it which is not cheap. However, they often have promotional discounts around certain holidays, and you can also sign up for a free 7-day trial.

Last 4-5 years of the Rep are archived online via NewsBank and can be accessed via a Stark County District Library card. Text-based Rep articles are available online back to about 1999. If you want the image-based material prior to 2018 or 2019, you must go to the main library and do the microfilm thing.
Mr. Slippery..thanks for this info. So as not to screw up this great thread...I sent you a private email

Might be true, but let's be honest, Panthers haven't had a QB since that fella that got hurt when Ethan Wright was a freshman or sophomore.
Oh they had a Qb after that. He just ended up at CVCA when Manchester refused to do anything about a bullying situation. It's a shame because many in Panther town know it probably cost them an opportunity for a state championship.

Oh they had a Qb after that. He just ended up at CVCA when Manchester refused to do anything about a bullying situation. It's a shame because many in Panther town know it probably cost them an opportunity for a state championship.
I was today years old when I learned this. No WAY! If it's the guy I'm thinking of then Kirtland wouldn't have been able to put all 11 guys in the box against the Panthers the way they did in 2019.

What would be considered a "successful" first season for Stacy? What would be a disaster?
For me .500 would be a crazy great turn around when you combine what they did last year with their schedule. 3-4 is probably a realistic expectation.

As for what will be acceptable to half the fan base - trip to Regional finals

Looks like the Hiland administration and board kicked the can down the road for another year or 2. The trail grows cold after the article below though. The district hit some financial problems around 1970 where they had to make some budgetary cuts. I wonder if the idea of adding football died there and was never revisited because the demand for it never returned.
Yeah that's what I would guess happened. I know they had to add Clark and Salt something to their district in 69 and they didn't have room already. They had a special levy in early 68 that failed so they were definitely in some financial troubles.

Kind of a shame because the way Hiland does things you know they'd have a top notch football program.

100% agree about both of those sites mentioned.

Last edited:
If they managed to get a program at that level, it likely would’ve come at the gradual expense of the consistency displayed by their other programs.
Agreed. Regardless of how great their soccer & boys bball programs are, they're still D7. No matter how quality their athletic department is, there's only so many kids to pull from. Could say the same thing in reverse about Dalton.

Agreed. Regardless of how great their soccer & boys bball programs are, they're still D7. No matter how quality their athletic department is, there's only so many kids to pull from. Could say the same thing in reverse about Dalton.
I mean there are DVI and DVIi schools that do quite well in all the sports including winning state titles.

There is no rule that says you can only be good at two sports. Granted, it's difficult but it can be done for both girls and boys sports. You see it happen

For me .500 would be a crazy great turn around when you combine what they did last year with their schedule. 3-4 is probably a realistic expectation.

As for what will be acceptable to half the fan base - trip to Regional finals
.500 would be great ... they should lose to Fairless, CVCA, NW, Canton South, and Orrville ... people at the Tavern and Bell Store have been touting the 9th and 10th grade classes as the best classes MHS has had in 20 years ...

The Bell Store and Manchester Tavern making predictions? I'm in! Those Manchesterites are more savvy than Jimmy the Greek.

MV5BMjEwNTgzMzA0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTAwNzU2Mw@@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
Hope Stacy does well. Was great at Waynedale from what I hear in his tenor as the basketball coach. Hoping Pitman or someone can give some insight on how Coach Kelly is doing at Triway? I know they only dressed 28 for their playoff game this year against Perry! Hoping numbers are growing.

Hope Stacy does well. Was great at Waynedale from what I hear in his tenor as the basketball coach. Hoping Pitman or someone can give some insight on how Coach Kelly is doing at Triway? I know they only dressed 28 for their playoff game this year against Perry! Hoping numbers are growing.
We only dressed 28 for the Perry game mainly due to injuries, which plagued us badly last season. Coach Kelly is off to a good start. The players are proactively doing a lot of offseason activities, and the weight room turnout has been good. He's already incorporated a few new things, and I think the boys are excited. Obviously, whenever you have a new coach, the numbers, morale, and buy-in all seem to go up for a period of time, so we are hoping to have somewhere between 50-60 in 2023 (I heard 60-65 the other day, but some will surely fall off over time).

Sandy Valley had one winning record in their first 15 seasons in the IVC. Just for comparison, they had two winning records in their 11 seasons in the PAC. They've had some more success recently but that wasn't because of the league move that was because of the coach they hired and then because of the quarterback they had.

As far as East Canton, they did not play football in the Senate League and they had a bunch of success in the 80s playing an independent schedule. They competed for the first ever league title in the PAC falling to only Manchester in the league and made the playoffs. Their head coach then left to move to Florida and East Canton chose to hire a coach(es) who wasn't qualified and it destroyed the program for a few years. The Hornets won a total of 10 games in 7 years. That's what happens when you hire poor coaches. Then East Canton hired a few qualified coaches and the program improved immediately and they even made the playoffs 2 of their final 3 years in the PAC. The same sort of thing happened with both their boys' and girls' basketball programs. They had a lot of success in the much bigger Senate League and PAC than they have had in the IVC because they had much better coaches.

To tie this back to the Tuslaw discussion, Tuslaw can move to whatever league they wish but trading the PAC for another league isn't going to solve their problems. If it's just about winning, they need to solve their own problems internally. Switching leagues isn't a cure all for winning.

If it's a travel issue or the new league provides a better cultural fit or more stability then I get it but that doesn't really seem to be the case here.
So I'll just quote this because of the last part about Tuslaw. I was going through the old Newspaper Archives searching for something else and came across this. I never realized Tuslaw was the one who started the dominoes falling that led to the break up the Senate League.

Attachments

• Dover-Times-Reporter-Apr-23-1987-p-9.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
So I'll just quote this because of the last part about Tuslaw. I was going through the old Newspaper Archives searching for something else and came across this. I never realized Tuslaw was the one who started the dominoes falling that led to the break up the Senate League.
I completely forgot about this. 1) it does make me wonder if they wouldn't actively be looking to find something else and 2) if they do leave the PAC there's no chance it would be for the WCAL. WCAL hasn't changed since before Biden was elected to the Senate (and that's a LONG time) so not likely they'd break that tradition to invite a school that has left 2 leagues in 30 years & quit playing Dalton.

At the time of this article, it made tremendous sense for Tuslaw to leave the Senate. This article would have been from 1987. The Tuslaw AD was Jim Reichenbach and he was doing Tuslaw a solid by getting them out of the league before he took over as Dover head football coach which was a Senate League school in 1987-88.

I wonder what their divisional league idea was at the time?

Last edited:
I completely forgot about this. 1) it does make me wonder if they wouldn't actively be looking to find something else and 2) if they do leave the PAC there's no chance it would be for the WCAL. WCAL hasn't changed since before Biden was elected to the Senate (and that's a LONG time) so not likely they'd break that tradition to invite a school that has left 2 leagues in 30 years & quit playing Dalton.
Hypothetically if they played in WCAL - any chance their record would have been better last year? Quite honestly, Rittman would not have been a slam dunk win for Tuslaw. I give them the edge, yes, but it would have been a close game. Annnnd I don't see any other league wins...?

Hypothetically if they played in WCAL - any chance their record would have been better last year? Quite honestly, Rittman would not have been a slam dunk win for Tuslaw. I give them the edge, yes, but it would have been a close game. Annnnd I don't see any other league wins...?
Possibly Doylestown and Waynedale.

The bottom line there is no other league that would make Tuslaw any better than they currently are and the PAC is undefeated for Tuslaw geography-wise. An ideal geographically located league for Tuslaw.

Yup. Adding the current version of Tuslaw would be the equivalent of adding a slightly better Rittman. And that helps . . . who?

This is why the constant "Tuslaw to the WCAL" offseason talk reminds me of when the Mrs used to watch some Australian western soap opera. I watched with her for awhile because there were really attractive ladies on the show (idea of league realignment) but eventually got bored and stopped because there wasn't even any tank top horseback riding (actual league changes). It seems fun, but it's really not.

At the time of this article, it made tremendous sense for Tuslaw to leave the Senate. This article would have been from 1987. The Tuslaw AD was Jim Reichenbach and he was doing Tuslaw a solid by getting them out of the league before he took over as Dover head football coach which was a Senate League school in 1987-88.

The thing that is ironic is had the Senate League stayer together the enrollment issues would be better today for Tuslaw. Just needed to find someone other than Dover to be the 8th team when Lake left. Fairless would've been the ideal fit.

Carrollton - 245
Minerva - 231
Claymont - 214
Sandy Valley - 173
Tusky Valley - 140
Tuslaw - 125
East Canton - 109

So there are a few more paragraphs a few pages later. It doesn't mention the division idea but it did say that when Lake left after 1986 the 3 teams that applied to the Senate League were Dover, West Branch and Marlington.

Possibly Doylestown and Waynedale.

The bottom line there is no other league that would make Tuslaw any better than they currently are and the PAC is undefeated for Tuslaw geography-wise. An ideal geographically located league for Tuslaw.
Honestly, I do think schools put enough emphasis on the importance of geography when forming leagues and non-conference schedules in non-football sports. Football is a different animal as well all know.

Families and kids do not want to be traveling long distances on week nights to play teams they have no connection to. If there is a school 15 minutes away that is a few divisions bigger/smaller play them. It's good for the communities, it's good for the parents, it's good for the student sections and it's good for the parents. The ONLY people it's not really good for is some coach who is trying to pad his record by getting a W against some team 90 minutes away that literally nobody cares about.