PAC 2023

Hahaha! I’m still thinking about the Combs reference. Remember thinking “that dude looks like an athletic nose tackle!” then watched him play and realized he played qb like an athletic nose tackle!

I know the Mustangs beat Manchester at least once while he was there. We’re there any other wins since then before last year?
Tuslaw actually beat Manchester each season over Combs' final 3 years (2006-2008). They won the three games by a combined eight points, including an 8-7 barnburner in 2007. In 2008, Combs' senior season, Manchester had Tuslaw on the ropes but fumbled on I believe a 4th and inches play that would have iced the game. That win kept Tuslaw's perfect season at the time alive until they lost the following game in week 9 after Triway's punter punted the ball into his own upback and proceeded to run it in for a touchdown.

A 6-4 Tuslaw team also managed to give Manchester it's only league loss in 2012. The most inexplicable win though came in 2019 when a 4-6 Tuslaw team beat a Manchester team on the road by double digits that eventually went onto play in the regional finals.

Historically speaking though, Manchester has been a pain in Tuslaw's side. From 1998-2000, Tuslaw went 27-3 in the regular season with all 3 losses coming to Manchester. Closes losses to Manchester also cost Tuslaw a league title in 2004 and a playoff spot in 2015.

That first line was (to quote Seinfeld) "GOLD! THAT'S GOLD, JERRY!"

CreepyDirectBarebirdbat-max-1mb.gif

In the illustrious history of the Yappi PAC thread, saying Tuslaw has an admin and adult problem may rank right up there with adding Garaway through PAC expansion in terms of true forum gold.

If I would have known people were clamoring to discuss the offensive philosophy of a program that is 5-23 over the last 3 seasons (with 3 of those wins against the same team), I would have jumped in a lot sooner.
You know what's ironic about this is that those 3 wins against the same team come against a team who used to be really good when they ran the Wing-T but abandoned it. 15 years since the last winning season and the best season (5-5) since leaving the Wing-T behind was the one year they ran the double-wing.

Not all schools are meant for the spread.

You know what's ironic about this is that those 3 wins against the same team come against a team who used to be really good when they ran the Wing-T but abandoned it. 15 years since the last winning season and the best season (5-5) since leaving the Wing-T behind was the one year they ran the double-wing.

Not all schools are meant for the spread.
Many teams still run the wing-t concepts from the gun or spread formations. Chardon is a perfect example.

They mess around with the wildcat formation in the NFL so why not use some single wing today?

Keith Piper at Denison University in the mean streets of Granville, Ohio, did:

The single wing in the PAC is on brand. #PACtion

They mess around with the wildcat formation in the NFL so why not use some single wing today?

Keith Piper at Denison University in the mean streets of Granville, Ohio, did:

The single wing in the PAC is on brand. #PACtion
It's important for teams to pull out all of the stops if they want to avoid being part of the 37.5% of the league that doesn't get a share of the league title in 2023.

Please enlighten us on how the talent is acquired son. There are a few posters in this thread who had sons who played at CVCA and we're all state performers within the last 4 years. Those parents paid every cent of the tuition. Those same boys were multisport athletes that were highly decorated in those sports as well. I'm curious what you know about CVCA talent acquisition that they didn't know.

Would agree that the girls basketball coach has been arrogant and assembled talent from AAU program that calls CVCA home. Also true that big donor to field house is father of one of their seniors. Certainly not like that in football though.
I'm glad that CVCA is finally leaning into the advantages they have and not holding themselves back so that they can be in a conference they have little in common with.

It's important for teams to pull out all of the stops if they want to avoid being part of the 37.5% of the league that doesn't get a share of the league title in 2023.
The only thing greater than the single wing at 1723 Manchester Road NW would be the golden voice of Mel Wacker announcing it over the William E Kurtz Stadium PA system.

Hahaha! I’m still thinking about the Combs reference. Remember thinking “that dude looks like an athletic nose tackle!” then watched him play and realized he played qb like an athletic nose tackle!

I know the Mustangs beat Manchester at least once while he was there. We’re there any other wins since then before last year?
Yeah, Tuslaw did one season with him at QB. Manchester was driving at the end and fumbled the ball away in the red zone. Combs was a beast that game, though. He was their best weapon and was a one-man wrecking crew.

On the subject of the wing-t versus other offenses, I think the flexbone would be equally effective, especially for schools without a lot of "athletes." It doesn't require the up front power that the veer or wing-t generally need to be effective. Plus, it gives you a few better options if forced to pass. The service academies, and especially Navy, run it because they have smaller athletes. I spent several years in Annapolis, Maryland and saw firsthand how Navy used it to defeat athletically superior teams.

Yeah, Tuslaw did one season with him at QB. Manchester was driving at the end and fumbled the ball away in the red zone. Combs was a beast that game, though. He was their best weapon and was a one-man wrecking crew.
Not to be the "well actually" guy, but if you look up to post #550 in the thread, I actually detailed out all of Tuslaw's wins over Manchester, which included 3 with Combs at the helm. The other two were due more to Ryan Travis (2006) and the defense (2007), but he was technically the QB for all three. I only point this out because there are so few bright spots in this program's history that I won't let you take away the ones we do have 🤣

On the subject of the wing-t versus other offenses, I think the flexbone would be equally effective, especially for schools without a lot of "athletes." It doesn't require the up front power that the veer or wing-t generally need to be effective. Plus, it gives you a few better options if forced to pass. The service academies, and especially Navy, run it because they have smaller athletes. I spent several years in Annapolis, Maryland and saw firsthand how Navy used it to defeat athletically superior teams.
Paul Johnson's Navy teams won me a LOT of 'cheddar' in bowl games & against Notre Dame (1 win & several covers). Until Navy fired their coach this year, both Army & Navy's coaches were Paul J disciples.

*NOTE - PAC Thread . . . we got it all!*

Not to be the "well actually" guy, but if you look up to post #550 in the thread, I actually detailed out all of Tuslaw's wins over Manchester, which included 3 with Combs at the helm. The other two were due more to Ryan Travis (2006) and the defense (2007), but he was technically the QB for all three. I only point this out because there are so few bright spots in this program's history that I won't let you take away the ones we do have 🤣
"Well actually" are quite welcome here when they're accompanied by facts. Too often "well actually" folks are just making crap up.

Thanks for clarifying & congrats on dropping the "new" from your "member" status.

After watching my school run the double-wing for one season I would highly recommend it to any school who lacks skilled athletes. It was incredible to watch how much success we had that season compared to other recent seasons. 5-5 should've been 7-3 and a playoff spot for sure and a really legit chance at 8-2 that season.

Was told last night that while Northwest is losing all 5 starting linemen from last year, that all 5 linemen taking over this year got plenty of reps last year and that all 5 could start for just about any team in the PAC next year. Outside of losing Plotner 6'5" 320, the line should have similar ability and size as last year.

Also - rumor on the street is, could be a change at QB and Badger could become a Christian McCaffery skat-back type player to compliment Miraglia. Cannot wait until next football season to see what this team turns into!

Yeah, my bad, I missed your post.

In all seriousness, matching your offensive/defensive system to the type of athletes you have is probably something that many schools don't do a great job at. I remember listening to an interview with Tim Goodwin where he he talked about how his first few years he ran the defense he had always run his entire life and then realized at Marion Local he was always going to have a lot of LBers and kids to fit a 3-4 so he abandoned his defense and put in the 3-4.

Because a lot of smaller schools tend to have the same families (and genetics) running through them year after year you do see a lot of the same body types and athletic traits. It makes no sense to try and keep running something your kids can't do.

I have noticed a few new posters to our award winning thread. If you a pretty new to this thread drop us a little bit of information about yourself. Only as much as you are comfortable with. Just bacis stuff like what teams you support, where you are an alumni and stuff like that.

I have noticed a few new posters to our award winning thread. If you a pretty new to this thread drop us a little bit of information about yourself. Only as much as you are comfortable with. Just bacis stuff like what teams you support, where you are an alumni and stuff like that.
We promise not to use this information negatively (Well, not too negatively). Mostly we want to know if you're here for the fun of it or if you're here to tell us how your kid's team is unbeatable & don't try to actually share an opinion that you don't like.

For the record - a recent "vociferous parent" we had was more annoying than chaffing on a beach vacation, but he turned out to be right about the Panthers not totally stinking in 2021 & earned himself a free cookie from the Subway in New Franklin. (Eventually his team ran into Kirtland and they crushed them in a way that not even a cookie could fix and we haven't heard from him since...)

The question i have - are you a Richie K fan or a fan of all former Wagner greats? Lou Anarumo, Dawn Aponte, or (probably the most famous from his WWF days) - Damien Demento?!?!?

1677256217015.png

OK ... a football post. Here goes.

I took a look at the 2022 Northeast Inland District list and, from that, produced the Key Returners and Key Losses for each team. The only exception? I added Zack Miller, who was injured half way through 2022. He didn't appear on the Inland District list, but I added him.

Three of the five Northwest OL are on the list, but obviously, all five are gone. The order of schools is based on the Division structure. Hence, CVCA, which competes in Division III, is at the top.

The goal: Just to see who has what coming back. And what pieces need to be backfilled/replaced. Have a look:
Inland District_2022.png

What does it tell us? First thoughts ...
  • This is Canton South's year ... but we knew that already. They really didn't lose much. Did X Williams get any looks? Even at D3? Kid could stretch a field.
  • CVCA has a good young core coming back. Youngest team in the league last year. But the OL took hits through graduation. Can they backfill?
  • Northwest. It's all about the OL. @CasualFan24 is confident. He better be. You certainly don't doubt that Coach DeMarco will coach them up.
  • Fairless? Has the window closed? Not many Falcons folks on here, but on paper, they lost a lot.
  • Orrville. The surprise of the PAC last year. You have to think they'll have something to say in 2023.
  • Triway. New coach. New QB. Tons of injuries a year ago. Might need some time. But you never know.
  • Manchester. New coach. Same players. Can they learn how to win?
  • Tuslaw. Harbeitner and Snyder had their moments. Is anyone waiting in the wings?