PAC 2023

52717.jpeg

If you are familiar with Massillon old time restaurants you know "German fries" at Meldrum's and some of the other old school breakfast restaurants there. If The Slaw ate this, they would win.

German fries are a "thing" west of Whipple and old school.

If I ran Tuslaw, I would consult with some old time Stark County coaches to figure it out. That situation can be figured out and no need to leave the PAC. Bon appetit and cholesterol - who cares?

Last edited:
What are the OOC opponents looking like for 2023?
Here's what I can surmise from looking at Arbiter:
NonConference 2023.png

Edit (17FEB23):
  • Added Lakewood (home) for Canton South in Week 2
  • Adjusted Louisville to away for Northwest in Week 3 (appears on Louisville's Arbiter schedule; Northwest's Arbiter schedule shows Week 3 Open (hmmmm)
  • Note: Orrville's 2023 schedule is not listed on Aribiter; Week 1-3 opponents identified from Opponent's Arbiter schedule information
  • Tuslaw non-conference opponents corrected
Discuss!

Last edited:
Please enlighten us on how the talent is acquired son. There are a few posters in this thread who had sons who played at CVCA and we're all state performers within the last 4 years. Those parents paid every cent of the tuition. Those same boys were multisport athletes that were highly decorated in those sports as well. I'm curious what you know about CVCA talent acquisition that they didn't know.
I’ve seen accounts that were created yesterday, but rarely posters that were born yesterday.

View attachment 39029
Discuss!
I believe I saw on the Open Weeks thread that Canton South is hosting Lakewood in week 2. Yes, the Lakewood where St. Edward HS's mail is sent, not the one east of Newark.
Whoa. Those are some tough teams. St Clairsville, Streetsboro, Carrollton, West Holmes, Wooster, and Lakewood!?!?! I won't open Pandora's box on scheduling again, but let's just say that looking at all of the games laid out . . . some of these teams are "not" like the others. :ROFLMAO:

Nobody wants them out because of their talent. It would be how they acquire that talent, and how their administrators/coaches act
Please enlighten us on how the talent is acquired son. There are a few posters in this thread who had sons who played at CVCA and we're all state performers within the last 4 years. Those parents paid every cent of the tuition. Those same boys were multisport athletes that were highly decorated in those sports as well. I'm curious what you know about CVCA talent acquisition that they didn't know.
I’ve seen accounts that were created yesterday, but rarely posters that were born yesterday.
I see you didn't answer the question @ohio.hoops15.

View attachment 39043

Edit (17FEB23):
  • Adjusted Louisville to away for Northwest in Week 3 (appears on Louisville's Arbiter schedule; Northwest's Arbiter schedule shows Week 3 Open (hmmmm)
  • Note: Orrville's 2023 schedule is not listed on Aribiter; Week 1-3 opponents identified from Opponent's Arbiter schedule information
Discuss!
Looking forward to the three team melee between Manchester, Tuslaw, and Sandy Valley in Week 2. I kid, I kid

Tuslaw should be @Smithville, vs Chippewa, vs River View. Mustangs will scrimmage Waynedale and Sandy Valley

Tuslaw non-conference opponents corrected

YES - everyone is getting stoked for Warsaw River View! I understand pierogies are gonna be sold at the concession stand. Wait, wrong Warsaw.

Gotta be honest, i didnt even know River View existed. For that matter, the entire Muskingum Valley League is vague to me outside John Glen, TriValley, and Coshocton. Gonna have to maybe go to this game.

View attachment 39047

Edit (17FEB23):
  • Tuslaw non-conference opponents corrected
Discuss!
Triway’s first 2 weeks look rough for a rebuilding team. West Holmes (recent deep playoff runs) with a Big10/SEC RB recruit and then Highland with the division 5 player of the year at RB. Better be able to stop the run!

Whoa. Those are some tough teams. St Clairsville, Streetsboro, Carrollton, West Holmes, Wooster, and Lakewood!?!?! I won't open Pandora's box on scheduling again, but let's just say that looking at all of the games laid out . . . some of these teams are "not" like the others. :ROFLMAO:
Tuslaw playing the Smithies and Chipps is cool but it's missing a key old rival. I know it's beating a dead horse (bad Mustang pun).

--
I know we always like to say "adjust your offense to the talent you have" but I've wondered if an old school system like the wing T might be good for a smaller school like Tuslaw. It forces teams to prepare for an offense that isn't very common these days similar to playing the service academies in college football.

Tuslaw playing the Smithies and Chipps is cool but it's missing a key old rival. I know it's beating a dead horse (bad Mustang pun).

--
I know we always like to say "adjust your offense to the talent you have" but I've wondered if an old school system like the wing T might be good for a smaller school like Tuslaw. It forces teams to prepare for an offense that isn't very common these days similar to playing the service academies in college football.
Full disclosure - I LOVE the Wing T. That said, it's a tough commitment. For places like Clinton Massie, it's in their blood and that's who they are. They could have a Manning at QB and folks would still be upset about changing the offense. Connecting it to the PAC, Johnstown, the team Orrville beat in title game a few years back, was a true T team. And Coach Wakefield more than made it work all those years at Perry.

That said, while I do think it would be a really good fit for Tuslaw (soon to be last grass field in league & would help mitigate their lack of consistent offensive skill) it would also take a serious commitment to make the transition successful. "Serious" and "commitment" are words that don't seems to be in Tuslaw's vocabulary these days.

Full disclosure - I LOVE the Wing T. That said, it's a tough commitment. For places like Clinton Massie, it's in their blood and that's who they are. They could have a Manning at QB and folks would still be upset about changing the offense. Connecting it to the PAC, Johnstown, the team Orrville beat in title game a few years back, was a true T team. And Coach Wakefield more than made it work all those years at Perry.

That said, while I do think it would be a really good fit for Tuslaw (soon to be last grass field in league & would help mitigate their lack of consistent offensive skill) it would also take a serious commitment to make the transition successful. "Serious" and "commitment" are words that don't seems to be in Tuslaw's vocabulary these days.
I agree 100% and Tuslaw has an adult problem. I don't blame the kids. It starts at the Tuslaw admin level.

No offense, but I do feel Zach Slates was a mediocre pick for Perry replacing Wake....and what I observed with Perry vs Massillon in the playoffs in 2022 was a sad program in decline...Perry was not good...But I would find an old wing T or veer master and bring it to Tuscarawas Township/west Massillon. They have nothing to lose.

It can be implemented through the midget leagues.

Face it: most kids that are good in the passing game from Tuscarawas Township are going to Massillon....and I have NO problem with that. Kids and parents should do what's best for them. Massillon and Tuslaw are very connected in their school district boundaries as the lines were drawn by a shaky hand drunk. This street is Tuslaw...this street is Massillon....good luck keeping up on it.

Tuslaw needs a wing T sort of scheme. Just my opinion.

Reichenbach ran the ball between the tackles and won. You can do that there.

Last edited:
I agree 100% and Tuslaw has an adult problem. I don't blame the kids. It starts at the Tuslaw admin level.

No offense, but I do feel Zach Slates was a mediocre pick for Perry replacing Wake....and what I observed with Perry vs Massillon in the playoffs in 2022 was a sad program in decline...Perry was not good...But I would find an old wing T or veer master and bring it to Tuscarawas Township/west Massillon. They have nothing to lose.

Face it: any kid that is good in the passing game from Tuscarawas Township are going to Massillon....and I have NO problem with that. Kids and parents should do what's best for them.

The wing T scheme requires a level of toughness that Tuslaw hasn't had for some time. There would need to be a serious change in mentality within the program for that to be effective. Not saying that can't happen, but it would require quite a change.

I think the play and development of the offensive and defensive lines has probably been Tuslaw's primary problem for over a decade at this point. The skill positions have been down a little the last few years, but prior to that they seemed to have a handful of receivers and backs who were capable of producing most years.

Stark Sports....you have smart takes....and I'm saying Tuslaw need to blow it up and change the mentality in that district especially with the adults.

You do NOT do it by joining the IVC or some Portage County league. You don't run from Orrville.

Face it: most kids that are good in the passing game from Tuscarawas Township are going to Massillon....and I have NO problem with that. Kids and parents should do what's best for them. Massillon and Tuslaw are very connected in their school district boundaries as the lines were drawn by a shaky hand drunk. This street is Tuslaw...this street is Massillon....good luck keeping up on it.

Reichenbach ran the ball between the tackles and won. You can do that there.
1. That first line was (to quote Seinfeld) "GOLD! THAT'S GOLD, JERRY!"
2. The sad part of this conversation is that Tuslaw actually had the bodies to run a veer/wing T offense back around 2017-19. They had TOUGH kids that could pick up yards up the middle and skill guys that could move. They were good when they just POUNDED the rock (CVCA can attest to that from '18) but then they'd try to spread out teams that were more athletic than them and it . . . wasn't great.

Would agree that the girls basketball coach has been arrogant and assembled talent from AAU program that calls CVCA home. Also true that big donor to field house is father of one of their seniors. Certainly not like that in football though.

1. That first line was (to quote Seinfeld) "GOLD! THAT'S GOLD, JERRY!"
2. The sad part of this conversation is that Tuslaw actually had the bodies to run a veer/wing T offense back around 2017-19. They had TOUGH kids that could pick up yards up the middle and skill guys that could move. They were good when they just POUNDED the rock (CVCA can attest to that from '18) but then they'd try to spread out teams that were more athletic than them and it . . . wasn't great.
I don't necessarily have an issue spreading teams out from a formation standpoint, but it's more about what you do once you are there. I would prefer if they would go back to the power spread type offenses they were running in Held's early years when they had Combs and Brewer at QB and then in one of Gulling's first seasons with Woods at QB. Putting one of your bigger and better athletes at QB and featuring them in the run game can help neutralize the talent gap while also not reverting back to an ancient offense that kids might not be thrilled to play in, particularly when they already have a number of athletes in the school choosing not to play football.

The 2018 and 2019 teams that had Marthey as the feature back, even as effective as they were for Tuslaw standards, would have been better served if they had more of a dual threat at QB to supplement what he brought to the table and didn't have to carry it 40 times a game. Likewise, the 2020 team would have been likely better served to go with Lau at QB (something they experimented with in the preseason) as by far their best athlete and let him run the ball as opposed to going with Harbeitner as a sophomore who was more of a traditional style QB. Instead they put Lau on the outside at receiver with an inexperienced QB and they struggled to get him the ball and maximize his talent.

I don't necessarily have an issue spreading teams out from a formation standpoint, but it's more about what you do once you are there. I would prefer if they would go back to the power spread type offenses they were running in Held's early years when they had Combs and Brewer at QB and then in one of Gulling's first seasons with Woods at QB. Putting one of your bigger and better athletes at QB and featuring them in the run game can help neutralize the talent gap while also not reverting back to an ancient offense that kids might not be thrilled to play in, particularly when they already have a number of athletes in the school choosing not to play football.

The 2018 and 2019 teams that had Marthey as the feature back, even as effective as they were for Tuslaw standards, would have been better served if they had more of a dual threat at QB to supplement what he brought to the table and didn't have to carry it 40 times a game. Likewise, the 2020 team would have been likely better served to go with Lau at QB (something they experimented with in the preseason) as by far their best athlete and let him run the ball as opposed to going with Harbeitner as a sophomore who was more of a traditional style QB. Instead they put Lau on the outside at receiver with an inexperienced QB and they struggled to get him the ball and maximize his talent.
Nice call @Stark Sports ! I couldn't remember the names, but that's exactly what I was thinking watching those teams with Marthey at RB. Teams over played the run so much because they only had 1 person to watch.

And also great point on spreading to run. 2-3 receivers are fine, even if a team plays straight man with no safety you still lighten the box. One of the hardest plays to defend in high school is trips to the wide side & run behind a pulling guard to the boundary.

Two things:
  1. I'm not a good X's and O's guy when it comes to football, but I enjoy the detailed football talk!
  2. I'm glad I'm not a Tuslaw admin or coach reading this thread.

If I would have known people were clamoring to discuss the offensive philosophy of a program that is 5-23 over the last 3 seasons (with 3 of those wins against the same team), I would have jumped in a lot sooner.
Hahaha! I’m still thinking about the Combs reference. Remember thinking “that dude looks like an athletic nose tackle!” then watched him play and realized he played qb like an athletic nose tackle!

I know the Mustangs beat Manchester at least once while he was there. We’re there any other wins since then before last year?

If I would have known people were clamoring to discuss the offensive philosophy of a program that is 5-23 over the last 3 seasons (with 3 of those wins against the same team), I would have jumped in a lot sooner.
Hey, you know people still love talking about the Silver Stretch offense of the bad 1980's Detroit Lions, too.

s-l500.jpg

Would agree that the girls basketball coach has been arrogant and assembled talent from AAU program that calls CVCA home. Also true that big donor to field house is father of one of their seniors. Certainly not like that in football though.
I get what you are saying, however girls basketball at the end of the day maybe breaks even. It doesn't make sense financially to waive tuition dollars to get athlete's in a sport that if it makes any money I'm sure its very miniscule. I'm not saying CVCA doesn't have some advantages that others don't but handing out free tuition isn't happening on that side of Wyoga Lake road.