Ohio State Recruiting

I don’t get it. I know OSU wants Bo Jackson from VASJ, and they need to get him, but I don’t get why they are going after West from Philly when they have Davis from Cleveland Heights in their own backyard? Davis is elite on both sides of the ball. I can see why they like Davison from Cali, but I don’t see clear superiority of Davison over Davis. They are similar size and are clearly home run hitters. I believe OSU is going to regret slow-playing Davis.
Davison is not a home run hitter but Marquise is. Most OSU insiders agree Marquise Davis is better than Davison. Going after the dude from Philadelphia is typical though, historically OSU struggles especially in the 21st century at landing the elite backs out of state the same way they struggle landing OTs.

What’s the most surprising part is that they are not even keeping the Ohio kids from this class. People can say whatever they want about Carlos Locklyn but the reality is he was OSUs 4th choice to be their RB coach.

Davison is not a home run hitter but Marquise is. Most OSU insiders agree Marquise Davis is better than Davison. Going after the dude from Philadelphia is typical though, historically OSU struggles especially in the 21st century at landing the elite backs out of state the same way they struggle landing OTs.

What’s the most surprising part is that they are not even keeping the Ohio kids from this class. People can say whatever they want about Carlos Locklyn but the reality is he was OSUs 4th choice to be their RB coach.
Still an upgrade over Tony Alford?

Ohio State was all in on Davis, but he did not have them on his list. Said he was an Alford guy, and didn't know Locklyn. And then he ends up at Kentucky. Lol. He may still end up at TTUN, but he clearly didn't seem to want to be in Columbus. 🤷‍♂️

Ohio State was all in on Davis, but he did not have them on his list. Said he was an Alford guy, and didn't know Locklyn. And then he ends up at Kentucky. Lol. He may still end up at TTUN, but he clearly didn't seem to want to be in Columbus. 🤷‍♂️
OSU could have made a stronger effort. Never even contacted by Day? Davis might be the best all around high school football player in the nation. That is my opinion and I’ll stand by it. OSU should have put a priority max effort to get Davis and I predict they will wind up regretting it.

OSU could have made a stronger effort. Never even contacted by Day? Davis might be the best all around high school football player in the nation. That is my opinion and I’ll stand by it. OSU should have put a priority max effort to get Davis and I predict they will wind up regretting it.
Never contacted by Day? He visited him at Cleveland Heights with Alford.

That is very likely, but why did Davis say Day never contacted him…only Alford did?
From Bucknuts:

Back in mid-December Ohio State running backs coach Tony Alford stopped to see 2025 running back Marquise Davis from Cleveland Heights, Ohio. Alford also stopped to see Davis on Jan. 12. Then in late January Alford again stopped at Cleveland Heights to see Davis and that time Ryan Day was with him.

“They talked to me and my parents and my coach,” Davis told Bucknuts at the time. “Then I left to go to class and they stayed and talked to my parents. I think that went pretty well.”

From Bucknuts:

Back in mid-December Ohio State running backs coach Tony Alford stopped to see 2025 running back Marquise Davis from Cleveland Heights, Ohio. Alford also stopped to see Davis on Jan. 12. Then in late January Alford again stopped at Cleveland Heights to see Davis and that time Ryan Day was with him.

“They talked to me and my parents and my coach,” Davis told Bucknuts at the time. “Then I left to go to class and they stayed and talked to my parents. I think that went pretty well.”
Thanks, I was going from memory of this article, but it doesn’t mention Day…my bad. Still, Davis implies that he only had a relationship with Alford and that he wasn’t hearing much from OSU post-Alford. Again, my opinion is that he should’ve been a full court press by the Buckeyes and apparently was not.

Can’t get them all. And he is only a 4 star.

CB Blake Woodby decomitts which is not a surprise. Looks like a good player but with Sanchez and Offord committed and the possibility of Delane and or Brew coming in, there just was no spot for Woodby.

Keep an eye on WR Dakorien Moore, the top rated receiver in this class. He decommitted from LSU. Ohio State looks to be battling Oregon for him.

CB Blake Woodby decomitts which is not a surprise. Looks like a good player but with Sanchez and Offord committed and the possibility of Delane and or Brew coming in, there just was no spot for Woodby.
Got his feelings hurt when the Buckeyes recruited better than him.

Understood, I didn't' realize that Ohio does not have any 5 star athlete recruits.
They’ll give five to an o-lineman from Ohio, but they get pretty stingy giving northern skill kids five stars anymore. It still happens, but most of the five stars from the north come from NJ and MD anymore. PA has had a few, though, with Micah Parsons, McCord and the WR that never did much at OSU. Not sure if Marvin Harrison ever got the fifth star. The last OH five star I recall was big Paris, an OL. I think the QB, St Clair recently got the five star, maybe?

They’ll give five to an o-lineman from Ohio, but they get pretty stingy giving northern skill kids five stars anymore. It still happens, but most of the five stars from the north come from NJ and MD anymore. PA has had a few, though, with Micah Parsons, McCord and the WR that never did much at OSU. Not sure if Marvin Harrison ever got the fifth star. The last OH five star I recall was big Paris, an OL. I think the QB, St Clair recently got the five star, maybe?
St. Clair is up to the #6 overall recruit on 247

We are talking about a guy that has verbally committed to Kentucky. What are we doing here? There was a wr during Urban’s reign that final 2 schools were between Kentucky and Ohio St. Urb point blank said to him, “we don’t compete with Kentucky for players.” Kid chose Kentucky and was never heard from again

The current 247 composite has 29 five stars for Class of 2025. Only four are not from the south or CA. Two QB’s…the kid from MI and St Clair from OH, an OL from Kansas and the OH DB from Shaker Hts, McNutt. That’s two five stars from OH. Rare, but welcome!

St. Clair is up to the #6 overall recruit on 247

We are talking about a guy that has verbally committed to Kentucky. What are we doing here? There was a wr during Urban’s reign that final 2 schools were between Kentucky and Ohio St. Urb point blank said to him, “we don’t compete with Kentucky for players.” Kid chose Kentucky and was never heard from again
I think it’s likely UK promised him carries, while OSU said he will get every chance to earn early carries.

Wasn’t Benny Snell from Columbus? I don’t recall OSU seriously pursuing him, but he balled out at UK and is in the NFL. I think sometimes OSU underestimates the Ohio kids.

I think it’s likely UK promised him carries, while OSU said he will get every chance to earn early carries.

Wasn’t Benny Snell from Columbus? I don’t recall OSU seriously pursuing him, but he balled out at UK and is in the NFL. I think sometimes OSU underestimates the Ohio kids.
Ohio bombed for the most part on RB recruiting with Tony Alford here. Low bar but give the new guy a chance.

Of course. It couldn't just be the fact that they rarely give out 5 stars period across the country. I think the class of 25 has maybe 15 players with a 5* rating. But your guy is one of them. Is there a RB in the 2025 class with a 5* rating?

The current 247 composite has 29 five stars for Class of 2025. Only four are not from the south or CA. Two QB’s…the kid from MI and St Clair from OH, an OL from Kansas and the OH DB from Shaker Hts, McNutt. That’s two five stars from OH. Rare, but welcome!
Where does your kid fall in the RB rankings for 247?

Offord has been looking around. Don’t be surprised if he flips on NSD