Ohio State Football 2024

Fans are never happy; OSU recruits' great talent obviously does a great job of developing that talent and people still complain. Since 1936 start of the AP rankings OSU is 5th with 6 titles: https://www.si.com/fannation/colleg...rankings-national-championships-ap-top-25-era. Since 2000 only 2 schools have won more titles than OSU, Alabama and LSU again it is very difficult to win a NC. Unfortunately, OSU had a "bad" 20-year period of Bruce and Cooper. However, considering that most of the football talent is in the south and California it is amazing OSU can recruit as well as it does. If any fan base (and I am sure they do) should complain it would be hook em horns fans (Texas).
Since 2000 Ohio State has had more draft picks than any other school.

Since 2000 Ohio State has had more draft picks than any other school.
That is a good thing. Again, winning NC's is hard, coming into this century ND had just as much if not more tradition than OSU in football, how many titles have the domers won this century? Zero why because 80% of the talent is down south or in california. OSU could cheat in recruiting and on the field like TTUN did but I would hope not.

Edit: There is a reason why Saban left Mich. St. for LSU (not a powerhouse at the time) the talent is down south.

Last edited:
Fans are never happy; OSU recruits' great talent obviously does a great job of developing that talent and people still complain. Since 1936 start of the AP rankings OSU is 5th with 6 titles: https://www.si.com/fannation/colleg...rankings-national-championships-ap-top-25-era. Since 2000 only 2 schools have won more titles than OSU, Alabama and LSU again it is very difficult to win a NC. Unfortunately, OSU had a "bad" 20-year period of Bruce and Cooper. However, considering that most of the football talent is in the south and California it is amazing OSU can recruit as well as it does. If any fan base (and I am sure they do) should complain it would be hook em horns fans (Texas).
I’d say I’m a pretty happy fan. During most of my teenage years and adult life, OSU has won or been in competition for the Big 10 and won a few titles while having the opportunity to win a few more. They’ve had a lot of exciting players who have won a multitude of accolades and sent to the NFL via the draft with a whole lot going in the first round.

But I also think OSU should have won a few more titles. ‘15 really sticks out. ‘98 sticks out too. ‘06 and ‘07 to lesser extents. Not saying they should win them all. But they should have at least a couple more than they do during my lifetime.

I’d say I’m a pretty happy fan. During most of my teenage years and adult life, OSU has won or been in competition for the Big 10 and won a few titles while having the opportunity to win a few more. They’ve had a lot of exciting players who have won a multitude of accolades and sent to the NFL via the draft with a whole lot going in the first round.

But I also think OSU should have won a few more titles. ‘15 really sticks out. ‘98 sticks out too. ‘06 and ‘07 to lesser extents. Not saying they should win them all. But they should have at least a couple more than they do during my lifetime.
Agree about 15, 98 - Cooper, 06, 07 OSU was out talented, less posters think Tressel was a lousy HC - I don't. In 03 OSU NC game would have been a loss if not for a great play by Clarett stripping All Pro Sean Taylor of the football. So maybe 3 NC's this century but again fortunate to win in 03. However again ND - PSU 0 titles this century, TTUN had to cheat, talent is down south and coaches follow talent, but some (few) posters are unrealistic, OSU faces a huge uphill battle in recruiting, NIL may actually level the field in that regard.

That is a good thing. Again, winning NC's is hard, coming into this century ND had just as much if not more tradition than OSU in football, how many titles have the domers won this century? Zero why because 80% of the talent is down south or in california. OSU could cheat in recruiting and on the field like TTUN did but I would hope not.

Edit: There is a reason why Saban left Mich. St. for LSU (not a powerhouse at the time) the talent is down south.
Of course it is hard. But having better talent is the first step. We apparently have at least good or better talent. We are being out done by teams with less talent.

It’s hard for Ohio State to be considered such an elite program when they do so poor against teams from the southeast. Most of the southeast laughs at Ohio State.
Well I guess that depends on where you draw the line on elite. If you stop after 3 teams probably. But if you go to 5, Ohio State has to be in there. Given too that they are the only program who hasn’t had a prolonged down period over the last 70 years. Truly remarkable.

Of course it is hard. But having better talent is the first step. We apparently have at least good or better talent. We are being out done by teams with less talent.
What teams? Alabama has dominated the draft last 10 - 13 years, UGA the last 2 years. Are you saying Tressel could not coach talent? Last year Alabama and UGa had the most picks at 10 TTUN had 9 OSU 6. In 22 UGA had 15 players drafted, OSU 6, so even though OSU has had lot of 1st rd. picks UGA, Alabama, LSU have had more overall picks (last several years) because more overall talent down south.

Last edited:
Yep. Just a soft/weak culture Ryan has developed.
Day should get an incomplete the last three years. Be honest. Connor Stalions wasn't just a minor assistant. Follow the money. How was Station's able to pay off his $500,000 home and have the money to buy tickets, travel and pay flunkies to go to opponents football games? You are not that stupid.
"Connor Stalions' salary at MichiganAccording to the University of Michigan website, Connor Stalions has an annual salary of $55,000. This is the typical wage of the low-level recruitment staff in college, which is the role Michigan claims he was employed for."
If Michigan didn't cheat, Ohio State would have won the Big 10 championship and would have had easier draws in the playoffs. Michigan would have been a nonfactor. If not for having inflated records and success due to cheating, Michigan wouldn't have had the same team they had last year. If '21 and '22 were played without Michigan cheating, chances are a number of players who came back in 23 would have went pro instead. There is no way to explain away the impact and importance Stalions had on Michigan's play on the field. Where did the money come from above and beyond his $55,000 salary? How did he earn that added cash? '23 Ohio State playing Michigan at Michigan with a weak first year QB and a less than stellar offensive line. Yet with a much weaker team than '21 and '22, Ohio State played a much closer game against Harbaugh's best team at Michigan ever, and was still in the game until the very end of the game. You don't find that strange?

Well I guess that depends on where you draw the line on elite. If you stop after 3 teams probably. But if you go to 5, Ohio State has to be in there. Given too that they are the only program who hasn’t had a prolonged down period over the last 70 years. Truly remarkable.
This century I would put OSU in top 3 tied with UGA. LSU no.2 (give them credit when they had lot of talent, they won 2 of those with Saban at the helm) Alabama a clear no.1. I agree with what is in bold.

Is that because the Big Ten has been so bad or Ohio State is so good though? For the most part the program loses big games out of conference historically, I mean they have a losing bowl record all time. The program is very good all time but I wouldn’t call it elite.

I just can’t get past such a miserable record against the SEC in bowl games. If anything they are overrated all time.

Is that because the Big Ten has been so bad or Ohio State is so good though? For the most part the program loses big games out of conference historically, I mean they have a losing bowl record all time. The program is very good all time but I wouldn’t call it elite.

I just can’t get past such a miserable record against the SEC in bowl games. If anything they are overrated all time.
This is the dumbest thing anyone will read today. Well done. Lol.

What teams? Alabama has dominated the draft last 10 - 13 years, UGA the last 2 years. Are you saying Tressel could not coach talent? Last year Alabama and UGa had the most picks at 10 TTUN had 9 OSU 6. In 22 UGA had 15 players drafted, OSU 6, so even though OSU has had lot of 1st rd. picks UGA, Alabama, LSU have had more overall picks because more overall talent down south.
Since 2000 Ohio State has had more draft picks than any other school

Ohio State can’t help it that the conference is what it is. So by your measure there are only 3 elite programs in the last 20 years I guess? Which is fine but seems to be a bit too exclusive.

'21 Ohio State lost to Oregon. They won out until they played Michigan who cheated to win.
'22 Ohio State is undefeated until they played a Michigan team that was still cheating to win. Ohio State played Georgia playing with a depleted running back room and lost their tight end and big play receiver during the game. Came within a missed field goal of beating the eventual National Champion.
'23 Undefeated playing with a limited first year QB. weak O-line and banged up running back room. Gave Michigan all they could handle. A very veteran Michigan team that came back for one more year most likely due to unfair success in '21 and '22. Michigan was lucky to avoid Georgia in '23 and faced an Alabama that was in a similar situation as OSU with a first year QB playing and an unusual meltdown by McLaughlin. O-line problem. Other than Missouri, and that was a meaningless game that losing actually benefitted OSU, Ohio State hasn't honestly loss to a lesser talented team the last three years.

Day should get an incomplete the last three years. Be honest. Connor Stalions wasn't just a minor assistant. Follow the money. How was Station's able to pay off his $500,000 home and have the money to buy tickets, travel and pay flunkies to go to opponents football games? You are not that stupid.
"Connor Stalions' salary at MichiganAccording to the University of Michigan website, Connor Stalions has an annual salary of $55,000. This is the typical wage of the low-level recruitment staff in college, which is the role Michigan claims he was employed for."
If Michigan didn't cheat, Ohio State would have won the Big 10 championship and would have had easier draws in the playoffs. Michigan would have been a nonfactor. If not for having inflated records and success due to cheating, Michigan wouldn't have had the same team they had last year. If '21 and '22 were played without Michigan cheating, chances are a number of players who came back in 23 would have went pro instead. There is no way to explain away the impact and importance Stalions had on Michigan's play on the field. Where did the money come from above and beyond his $55,000 salary? How did he earn that added cash? '23 Ohio State playing Michigan at Michigan with a weak first year QB and a less than stellar offensive line. Yet with a much weaker team than '21 and '22, Ohio State played a much closer game against Harbaugh's best team at Michigan ever, and was still in the game until the very end of the game. You don't find that strange?
Let’s say for the sake of argument I agree with you. This does not excuse Ryan Day for being so terrible against teams from the southeast

Ohio State can’t help it that the conference is what it is. So by your measure there are only 3 elite programs in the last 20 years I guess? Which is fine but seems to be a bit too exclusive.
That would be correct. I do not throw around the word “elite” loosely. High expectations if you’re going to be in that category.

Let’s say for the sake of argument I agree with you. This does not excuse Ryan Day for being so terrible against teams from the southeast
Did well against Georgia with a short handed team. We can't know what he would have done the last three years against the SEC since he was cheated out of the chance to play them. Does anybody who is a fan of OSU care about the game against Missouri? With the results since that game I would say Ohio State was better off losing.

Did well against Georgia with a short handed team. We can't know what he would have done the last three years against the SEC since he was cheated out of the chance to play them. Does anybody who is a fan of OSU care about the game against Missouri? With the results since that game I would say Ohio State was better off losing.
I guess your definition of did well is different than mine. Had a big lead and choked hard. I cared very much about beating Missouri. What results after the Missouri game are you referring to? OSU hasn’t played a game since then

I guess your definition of did well is different than mine. Had a big lead and choked hard. I cared very much about beating Missouri. What results after the Missouri game are you referring to? OSU hasn’t played a game since then
The number of players who have returned for another year. The players picked up in the transfer portal. The coaches who were let go and the coaches who were brought in. The continued success in recruiting. All this with a loss to Missouri. Had Ohio State soundly beaten Missouri would the coaching changes been made? Did the loss leave a bad taste in the mouths of the players who decided to come back for another year? Did the loss light a fire and create a sense of urgency with the coaching staff? We know what the results have been since the Missouri game. I like the results. We know what the results have been due to Michigan cheating. What would have been the results if Ohio State had the opportunity to play entire seasons without being cheated out of what would have been natural results? How was Ohio State prepared for Georgia? Did they have to work on things that were not broke due to Michigan knowing what plays Ohio State was running and was prepared to exploit? Did OSU make changes that ended up being detrimental to their game plan?

That would be correct. I do not throw around the word “elite” loosely. High expectations if you’re going to be in that category.
Would you agree that the SEC had an unfair advantage with their roster handling before NIL? Their over signing was legendary.

Ohio State is an elite football program. Hands down. It's not even worth debating. The sheer numbers alone would wash over the contrarian like a tidal wave. Lol.

Now if folks want to make the assertion that certain teams and/or coaches were not 'elite' in a given season or seasons, cool. But that's a total separate debate.

Last edited:
The number of players who have returned for another year. The players picked up in the transfer portal. The coaches who were let go and the coaches who were brought in. The continued success in recruiting. All this with a loss to Missouri. Had Ohio State soundly beaten Missouri would the coaching changes been made? Did the loss leave a bad taste in the mouths of the players who decided to come back for another year? Did the loss light a fire and create a sense of urgency with the coaching staff? We know what the results have been since the Missouri game. I like the results. We know what the results have been due to Michigan cheating. What would have been the results if Ohio State had the opportunity to play entire seasons without being cheated out of what would have been natural results? How was Ohio State prepared for Georgia? Did they have to work on things that were not broke due to Michigan knowing what plays Ohio State was running and was prepared to exploit? Did OSU make changes that ended up being detrimental to their game plan?
That’s a lot of talk for not even playing a game yet. They really can’t be judged until playing at least some games.