Ohio State Football 2024

All seems good. Month of osu football hell to wrap up a crappy 2023 overall. No QB, no line, lessened speed, defense that can't last 4q against good teams

I'm sure a lot of people will or have been calling for Day's firing, but who would replace him? Most likely would have to hire a coach away from a school. Either way, OSU might be headed towards a Clemson downhill spiral.

Mike Hall Jr. will not be back. He just called it for the draft. And Jaden McKenzie is using his 6th year elsewhere, as he entered the portal.

After some of my anger has boiled off from last night's loss to Missouri here is my opinion where Ohio State and Ryan Day stand heading into the 2024 season.

Ryan Day is 56-8 for a .875 winning percentage. Among the best in the nation and Ohio State history.

Ryan Day is 1-3 against Michigan, 1-3 in CFP games, and 1-1 in NY6 bowl games. Big game totals 3-7. Meh.

His recruiting remains good according to the various recruiting rankings with classes rated consistently in the top five. Ryan Day scored big in portal signings in 2019 (Fields and Jackson) but little since unless you count Trayanum and Sermon.

Day has shown he is capable of taking corrective action by firing Coombs and Studrawa, and hiring Knowles and Frye. Yet Day has been stubborn in not relinquishing play calling duties.

Yet what do our eyes tell us. Ohio State's offensive line play and running game has been in steady decline since 2019.

Ohio State no longer can impose its physical will and dominate teams going into the third and fourth quarters.

Ohio State's special team play is inept at best.

Ohio State's quarterback situation is uncertain at best and possibly dire hearing into the 2024 situation.

Ohio State as a team no longer has SEC speed and quickness.

So I see the prospects for OSU football in the 2024 regular season as mixed. Probable losses against Oregon and Penn State with Michigan a toss up. That and Nebraska and Iowa will not be pushovers. My best guess is 9-3 with an outside shot at the expanded playoffs.

Other unknowns include a new athletic director come next July and uncertainty on how committed OSU will be on bidding in the NIL recruiting wars.

Summation I guess is that the Buckeyes are teetering on becoming just a good, but no longer elite football program. 2024 is make or break for Ryan Day, and he has to start making the necessary changes today.

LOL all year I heard how bad McCord was yet OSU finished 11 - 1 reg. season and a 30 - 24 loss to TTUN. If OSU lands a TP QB the Bucks will be better than this year.
Funny how one failed drive kept OSU from being the number one seed in the CFP. McCord was a good quarterback, yet did not have the offensive line so we just do not know if he might have been elite.

The Bucks do need at least an experienced QB from the portal to bridge the gap to Nolan. Will Howard might be that person.

Funny how one failed drive kept OSU from being the number one seed in the CFP. McCord was a good quarterback, yet did not have the offensive line so we just do not know if he might have been elite.

The Bucks do need at least an experienced QB from the portal to bridge the gap to Nolan. Will Howard might be that person.
thats the name that is out there... one year dude...

After some of my anger has boiled off from last night's loss to Missouri here is my opinion where Ohio State and Ryan Day stand heading into the 2024 season.

Ryan Day is 56-8 for a .875 winning percentage. Among the best in the nation and Ohio State history.

Ryan Day is 1-3 against Michigan, 1-3 in CFP games, and 1-1 in NY6 bowl games. Big game totals 3-7. Meh.

His recruiting remains good according to the various recruiting rankings with classes rated consistently in the top five. Ryan Day scored big in portal signings in 2019 (Fields and Jackson) but little since unless you count Trayanum and Sermon.

Day has shown he is capable of taking corrective action by firing Coombs and Studrawa, and hiring Knowles and Frye. Yet Day has been stubborn in not relinquishing play calling duties.

Yet what do our eyes tell us. Ohio State's offensive line play and running game has been in steady decline since 2019.

Ohio State no longer can impose its physical will and dominate teams going into the third and fourth quarters.

Ohio State's special team play is inept at best.

Ohio State's quarterback situation is uncertain at best and possibly dire hearing into the 2024 situation.

Ohio State as a team no longer has SEC speed and quickness.

So I see the prospects for OSU football in the 2024 regular season as mixed. Probable losses against Oregon and Penn State with Michigan a toss up. That and Nebraska and Iowa will not be pushovers. My best guess is 9-3 with an outside shot at the expanded playoffs.

Other unknowns include a new athletic director come next July and uncertainty on how committed OSU will be on bidding in the NIL recruiting wars.

Summation I guess is that the Buckeyes are teetering on becoming just a good, but no longer elite football program. 2024 is make or break for Ryan Day, and he has to start making the necessary changes today.
Based on our recruiting we are about to become Texas A&M.

Based on our recruiting we are about to become Texas A&M.
Maybe. I will be really interested in how many OSU players leave in the next transfer portal window and how many NFL draft eligible players who were thinking about returning to OSU in 2024 do not.

Just a wild unsubstantiated thought is that Ohio State football may experiencing a NIL mutiny. Apparently there are reports OSU did arrange for for seven figure NIL deals for incoming 5 stars to keep them from flipping to other schools. So would the existing players want better deals? Going back to Carl Hinzman's not playing and his post about NIL, did the Buckeye offensive line "quiet quit" against Mizzou to prove a point? Has money and greed destroyed the supposed "brotherhood" in the locker room?

Yeah that is a wing nut theory, but even if there is a grain of truth, NIL will destroy College football unless it is regulated.

If Ohio State is found guilty of the catapult scandal, Ohio State will have some real problems. 2024 could end up being a true nightmare.

Maybe. I will be really interested in how many OSU players leave in the next transfer portal window and how many NFL draft eligible players who were thinking about returning to OSU in 2024 do not.

Just a wild unsubstantiated thought is that Ohio State football may experiencing a NIL mutiny. Apparently there are reports OSU did arrange for for seven figure NIL deals for incoming 5 stars to keep them from flipping to other schools. So would the existing players want better deals? Going back to Carl Hinzman's not playing and his post about NIL, did the Buckeye offensive line "quiet quit" against Mizzou to prove a point? Has money and greed destroyed the supposed "brotherhood" in the locker room?

Yeah that is a wing nut theory, but even if there is a grain of truth, NIL will destroy College football unless it is regulated.
so what was the Hinzman say in his post about the NIL?

so what was the Hinzman say in his post about the NIL?
Here is the link to the original topic on 11W. On the surface, what he supposedly said is not dark or ominous.
Yet he disappeared from the starting lineup and those who played on the offensive line put up little more resistance than a revolving turnstile. Again there is no proof that Ohio State's offensive line was engaged in a mutiny, but there is the coincidence of Hinzman's comments, his benching, poor play in the Cotton Bowl, and NIL bidding for new recruits.

Here is the link to the original topic on 11W. On the surface, what he supposedly said is not dark or ominous.
Yet he disappeared from the starting lineup and those who played on the offensive line put up little more resistance than a revolving turnstile. Again there is no proof that Ohio State's offensive line was engaged in a mutiny, but there is the coincidence of Hinzman's comments, his benching, poor play in the Cotton Bowl, and NIL bidding for new recruits.

If true I hope the OL is happy they contributed to a guy getting hurt and not getting a chance to show he can handle the job of QB1 at tOSU

Ohio State could have 4 of their starting 5 o-linemen back next year. I am trying to figure out if that would be a good thing or a bad thing. Ohio State missed big time in the portal chasing linemen. Cutler was a total bust and Simmons was barely serviceable. Michigan brought in two good lineman from the PAC 12 early in the portal opening. Both better than what Ohio State got.
Ranking Michigan's transfers from the 2023 Portal ClassMaize n Brewhttps://www.maizenbrew.com › 2023/12/24 › michiga...

I actually thought Simmons improved a lot over the course of the year, although he (just like everyone else up front) was awful in the bowl game.

Unless one of the younger guys is ready to take over, IMO they do need another starter at tackle to come from the portal. Move Fryar inside to guard.

I actually thought Simmons improved a lot over the course of the year,
But was Simmons a prime portal target to begin with? Cutler was their first acquisition? Did anybody do their homework on that one? Is the line play being adequately developed?

Ohio State will lose at least three games next year. But Day can brag about how many first round draft picks he has produced.
If the majority of the D comes back, it could be the best D in the country. Henderson comes back and with a serviceable QB the only question will be the O-line and special teams play. Both can be addressed.

If the majority of the D comes back, it could be the best D in the country. Henderson comes back and with a serviceable QB the only question will be the O-line and special teams play. Both can be addressed.
Of course both can be addressed. I think you are dreaming about Burke and JT though.

But was Simmons a prime portal target to begin with? Cutler was their first acquisition? Did anybody do their homework on that one? Is the line play being adequately developed?
Kind of like traditional high school recruiting, I don't think the budget (NIL) is necessarily being adequately earmarked to be able to go get 1 or 2 prime OL portal transfers.

Cutler wasn't good enough to play, and the biggest problem with it IMO was being here for a year and taking a bunch of 2nd string reps from younger traditional recruits.