Northwest Ohio Realignment

That's what they NLL did and now they have an 11 team league that doesn't really work and the schools in the middle all complaining about who will be forced to play in the big division.

Or they could have sat around and watched Maumee leave anyway and then replace them with Clay and still have a fairly compact and competitive 8-team league.

But hey, at least Findlay doesn't have to play the three Toledo Catholic schools anymore, but what good that does the NLL I have no idea.
The NLL is a work in progress. Findlay always has been. :)

That's what they NLL did and now they have an 11 team league that doesn't really work and the schools in the middle all complaining about who will be forced to play in the big division.

Or they could have sat around and watched Maumee leave anyway and then replace them with Clay and still have a fairly compact and competitive 8-team league.

But hey, at least Findlay doesn't have to play the three Toledo Catholic schools anymore, but what good that does the NLL I have no idea.
100%. Whitmer went 7-1 basically every year with an annual loss to the Irish, they're going to dominate this new league. Right now on pure enrollment it's Whitmer, Perrysburg, Findlay, Anthony Wayne, Northview, Fremont Ross while Springfield, Clay, Southview, BG and Napoleon are the smaller 5. Good luck Cats

I give the "new" NLL a max of 4 years before we wind up with either a new TRAC and a GBC-type new league. At this point it'd be easiest to just have a 21 team NLL/TRAC/CL combo. Just set it up by sport and realign every few years.

100%. Whitmer went 7-1 basically every year with an annual loss to the Irish, they're going to dominate this new league. Right now on pure enrollment it's Whitmer, Perrysburg, Findlay, Anthony Wayne, Northview, Fremont Ross while Springfield, Clay, Southview, BG and Napoleon are the smaller 5. Good luck Cats

I give the "new" NLL a max of 4 years before we wind up with either a new TRAC and a GBC-type new league. At this point it'd be easiest to just have a 21 team NLL/TRAC/CL combo. Just set it up by sport and realign every few years.

Napoleon wins that small division quite often. They struggle to compete with Perrysburg and AW, not the garbage at the bottom.

The NLL could try and add Sandusky, Columbian and one more school to make it a 14 school league. Have two 7 school divisions with a crossover or two. I think that’d be the best way to go for the NLL.

The NLL could try and add Sandusky, Columbian and one more school to make it a 14 school league. Have two 7 school divisions with a crossover or two. I think that’d be the best way to go for the NLL.
But that's not going to happen.

More likely that Northview, Ross, Springfield, Clay, Southview, BG, and Napoleon find an 8th and dump the bigger schools.

Last edited:

4 YEARS??? You expect Findlay to be in the same league for 4 YEARS??? OUTRAGEOUS!!!

But that's not going to happen.

More likely that Northview, Ross, Springfield, Clay, Southview, BG, and Napoleon find an 8th and dump the bigger schools.
I think you’re 100% right here. Lima Senior joins and that leaves Central/SJJ/SFS/AW/Perrysburg/Findlay/Whitmer to have to remake the TRAC with 6 schools as a very likely outcome

? was it alright when Central dominated the TRAC every year? You keep repeating this Whitmer will... bs. What's your point? Football? Baseball?.... All sports? So what? And if they don't?

Talk of a super league has been here long. It's a band-wagon. It will work itself out, be it 8 teams, 11 teams, different divisions... With the population moves and increasing use of vouchers by some schools to keep the athletic teams populated, rearrangment has been long overdue.
I think you’re 100% right here. Lima Senior joins and that leaves Central/SJJ/SFS/AW/Perrysburg/Findlay/Whitmer to have to remake the TRAC with 6 schools as a very likely outcome

Two River Athletic Conference? River and a stream?

Last edited:
I dont see that happening. The surburban NLL schools dont want to drive more than 20 minutes to another site.

I'm giving it 4 years for NV, SV, BG, Springfield, and Clay to start asking around and find a group of teams to join up with them because they're getting their heads kicked in on court, field, AND diamond. Wonder if Maumee, Rossford, and Napoleon would be interested in something like that?

I'm giving it 4 years for NV, SV, BG, Springfield, and Clay to start asking around and find a group of teams to join up with them because they're getting their heads kicked in on court, field, AND diamond. Wonder if Maumee, Rossford, and Napoleon would be interested in something like that?
Basically, they'll be back to the original NLL without Perrysburg and AW, and Findlay and Fremont will have another league name to add to their resume...

Wapakoneta 7th grade 278. OG 7th grade 89. Goes to show the athletes and coaching they have to compete with schools that much bigger.
I don't disagree and I don't think we are or will be interested. Just that the logical and probably desired result for the NLL is those 3 finishing out a 14 team league. You could break it up 7/7 ot 8/6, but it's clearly THEIR best end result.

I also don't see any of the 3 being interested unless forced to be. If the NWOAL broke up and the WBL nudged Defiance in that direction at the same time, then maybe. But 40 years of stability in the WBL tells me nothing will happen there, and unless the NWOAL loses 3 instead of 1 they'll survive too.

As for why Defiance would....to be the 12th, they wouldn't. For any reason. There's no reason to when we already play Napoleon, and would simply replace Van Wert (who is our most played football opponent of anyone) with Bryan (obvious rival, but no football history in 50 years.) The travel would be similar, the schedule might lead itself to a couple more wins and some playoff berths, but we'd also end up having to find at least week 2 and 3 if not week 4 and 5 games. The end results would be a wash if not negative.

But say Bryan and Wauseon WOULD jump. You'd now have the historical big 3 of the NWOAL back together, another close opponent for each of us in Wauseon, and a minimum of 6, MAYBE 7 games scheduled. And with an 8 team WBL which I'd think would be the end result, we can pick up VW and maybe even OG non league and have a game we could schedule around where we're at at that point left. At that point, everything starts looking like a minor win to jump. Easier schedule with non league flexibility to schedule the WBL teams we care about/good points games. All of our closest, similar sized schools in the league, helping reduce travel time. Stability would be the issue and I could and probably would see them NOT going because of it. But there would definitely be reasons why it could be done if we wanted to.

I really do think the end result though will either be Napoleon replacing Swanton (putting the NWOAL at 8 and NLL at 10 with no need for anymore movement), or Napoleon passes and the NWC tries to pry Tinora out of the GMC, with the GMC likely making a run at Crestview then settling on Edon or Montpelier when turned down. From there, everything stays calm for a few years.
If Defiance would leave the WBL, which is highly unlikely and makes zero sense, the remaining WBL teams, with the exception of OG would not schedule Defiance in football. Most of the teams already are not crazy about the drive and could more easily replace the open date with a MAC, LCC, Lima Senior, or NWC game. Bigger gate, 50/50 drawing, and shorter drive. But Defiance ain’t going anywhere neither is Kenton unless their football program permanently tanks.

What is the appeal of Lima in any of these leagues? Think about non-revenue sports and school night travel. Any Superintendent with any brains would veto them!
Let’s be honest, Lima Senior and LCC will never be a member of the WBL, way too much diversity for the small minded people in the majority of those towns. People in Ohio are spoiled with the short travel. Lots of states with smaller populations would kill for only an hour or two drive.

A new NWOAL:

Wauseon
Defiance
Napoleon
Bryan
Bowling Green
Archbold
Liberty Center

doesn’t sound like a bad league to me.
may never ever happen .. but i’m just spitballing

Let’s be honest, Lima Senior and LCC will never be a member of the WBL, way too much diversity for the small minded people in the majority of those towns. People in Ohio are spoiled with the short travel. Lots of states with smaller populations would kill for only an hour or two drive.
Well heck, most states don’t do this league crap. They just do regions based on divisions and you can’t play outside of your division

G
If Defiance would leave the WBL, which is highly unlikely and makes zero sense, the remaining WBL teams, with the exception of OG would not schedule Defiance in football. Most of the teams already are not crazy about the drive and could more easily replace the open date with a MAC, LCC, Lima Senior, or NWC game. Bigger gate, 50/50 drawing, and shorter drive. But Defiance ain’t going anywhere neither is Kenton unless their football program permanently tanks.

Guarantee Van Wert would. It's a comparable drive to Defiance for them as Bath and Wapak, and they already travel to Bryan.

It does suck for Lima Sr. Not to be in WBL it isn’t like they don’t play the other schools already and get beat most of times. They are bigger than all the schools but look at OG the smallest and kicking most of the time. Lima Sr. has nice facilities also so really don’t know what the beef is with not letting them in the league? The WBL definitely can’t say travel times

Why are they adding Findlay and Fremont then?
Maumee, and to a lesser degree, Napoleon were not happy being the smallest schools and had made noise about leaving, so the league added Whitmer, Findlay, Ross, and Clay to placate their concerns.

It does suck for Lima Sr. Not to be in WBL it isn’t like they don’t play the other schools already and get beat most of times. They are bigger than all the schools but look at OG the smallest and kicking most of the time. Lima Sr. has nice facilities also so really don’t know what the beef is with not letting them in the league? The WBL definitely can’t say travel times

1 There's already 10 schools. There's no obvious 12th to come in with them, and the 10 haven't shown any sign they're willing to go with 12 anyway. There's no spot for them.

2 Lima Senior would be absolutely horrendous in most of the sports the WBL offers. On the flip side, they'd be pretty decent in football and absolutely dominate basketball. No one wants really wants to deal with that combination.

3 We're not just talking bigger.....we're talking A LOT bigger. The difference between Lima and the biggest WBL school (Wapakoneta) is 115 boys. The difference between Wapak and the SMALLEST (Bath) is 129.

4 No matter what anyone wants to try to argue....demographics are absolutely a part of it. Read that however you want, but no WBL school really wants to be associated with Lima Senior when it comes to a league.

1 There's already 10 schools. There's no obvious 12th to come in with them, and the 10 haven't shown any sign they're willing to go with 12 anyway. There's no spot for them.

2 Lima Senior would be absolutely horrendous in most of the sports the WBL offers. On the flip side, they'd be pretty decent in football and absolutely dominate basketball. No one wants really wants to deal with that combination.

3 We're not just talking bigger.....we're talking A LOT bigger. The difference between Lima and the biggest WBL school (Wapakoneta) is 115 boys. The difference between Wapak and the SMALLEST (Bath) is 129.

4 No matter what anyone wants to try to argue....demographics are absolutely a part of it. Read that however you want, but no WBL school really wants to be associated with Lima Senior when it comes to a league.
I get that with with how many teams the league has already. I they would have to add 2 to make it work. But people are saying if Defiance leaves for NWOAL bring in Liberty Benton? enrollment wise yeah LB is closer to the smallest schools but you have LS right there that’s all im saying.

Let’s be honest, Lima Senior and LCC will never be a member of the WBL, way too much diversity for the small minded people in the majority of those towns.
I have read a lot of ridiculous things though the year and this is near the top. First of all there is no opening for LS or LCC but the reason no league wants them is because they bring almost no fans in any sport other than the years they are good at BB. Outside of FB and BB they barely field team or don't even try in nearly every other sport. As with most things it comes back to money, if they would fill the visitor section at FB games, bring 50+ people to pay to watch away soccer games and field competitive teams in most sports they would draw the interest of leagues regardless of their "diversity".

I have read a lot of ridiculous things though the year and this is near the top. First of all there is no opening for LS or LCC but the reason no league wants them is because they bring almost no fans in any sport other than the years they are good at BB. Outside of FB and BB they barely field team or don't even try in nearly every other sport. As with most things it comes back to money, if they would fill the visitor section at FB games, bring 50+ people to pay to watch away soccer games and field competitive teams in most sports they would draw the interest of leagues regardless of their "diversity".
Wrong I work in Lima and demographics has everything to do with it. LS and LCC would be an almost perfect fit geographically for the WBL but demographically is a whole different matter. LS because they are an inner-city school and LCC cause they are a Catholic school. If push would come to shove LCC would get an invite to the WBL before LS. Just like Sidney would never be invited to the MAC or any other local conference. Fan attendance has nothing to do with league affiliation.

I get that with with how many teams the league has already. I they would have to add 2 to make it work. But people are saying if Defiance leaves for NWOAL bring in Liberty Benton? enrollment wise yeah LB is closer to the smallest schools but you have LS right there that’s all im saying.
Lol....I doubt Liberty Benton would come.....they seem to enjoy being a big fish in a small pond :)

Wrong I work in Lima and demographics has everything to do with it. LS and LCC would be an almost perfect fit geographically for the WBL but demographically is a whole different matter. LS because they are an inner-city school and LCC cause they are a Catholic school. If push would come to shove LCC would get an invite to the WBL before LS. Just like Sidney would never be invited to the MAC or any other local conference. Fan attendance has nothing to do with league affiliation.
Maybe, but how does working in Lima give you any insight into what people in Celina, Defiance, Elida, Glandorf, Kenton, Ottawa, St. Mary's, Van Wert, and Wapakoneta are thinking?

Not sure how working in Lima helps you know what is going on in the in your opinion racist heads of the administrators at all the other schools.

This guy was clearly saying is LS and LCC would be welcome with open arms into the WBL if student body was more white. No they would not if they still brought very few fans to games and if they continue barely field teams or don't even try in nearly every other sport.

I'd definitely cringe at it being a racial thing, but I do think demographics are a part of it. Then again I see the fact that Sr. brings no fans as a demographic thing. Inner city, low income families where if there's 2 parents they're definitely both working to still struggle, and a lot are single parent homes. Not that THAT'S an issue, but poor and unable to travel to support the teams is a tough sell in a league full of middle class, blue collar towns who live and die by high school sports.

It is sad, I'd welcome them if we ever had to or if things changed. But that's some of the harsh realities as it stands. Lima is a team everyone will play, because it's a great non league test in basketball. But no one will commit to letting them take the league title or bring 5 fans to a league soccer match.