More Houses Near Elder Razed

Well I am from St. Lawrence and have been for 60 years, the 7pm mass is not what is keeping us open at all, the rest of our masses are very well attended also and yes there are a lot of people from victory, lourdes and visi. who attend our masses, I see this myself every week. I am not sure if this helps our collection basket or not because if they have kids in these other schools I am sure they have to give there also, and by the way I hate our 7 pm mass because it makes me feel like I didn't even attend mass. Some of the people who attend that mass are lucky if they are even there for ten minutes and sometimes are lucky if they make it inside the church.

I think they call that 7pm MASS the MASS for for Drive Thru catholic.

That gate on Gilsey has needed to be widen for a while. Cars are now parked on both sides of Gilsey which I don't think it was ever intended for, and that gate after school has caused some accidents with only one car being able to come in or out. A minor thing, but hopefully they address if when they expand the parking lot. would be nice to landscape it like the Glenway gate with a nice fence and trees. It would actually improve Gilsey as a street.

That's a good point and a good idea. Though I wonder if the school would expand the parking lot now or if they're waiting to acquire more property first.

I hope they do not over do it. I love how the homes on the south end of the Pit envelope the stadium as do those along the east side where the decks are. I hope that most of the homes are preserved. I remember that the stadium being nestled in the neighborhood was one of the qualities sited by USAToday in their article.

I'm hearing that the lots recently cleared near the Gilsey and Panther Ct. (formerly Iliff) gates are probably going to remain a green space for the near future.

You can really start to envision a nice concourse up there on regina. Have a concession stand, a true ticket box office, maybe move the spirit shop to get it out of the weight room. All of which would have street access for deliveries so trucks wouldn't have to pull in front of school. Maybe tie in the field house in some capacity

Ah or just a parking lot and/or urban field. A guy can dream though.

I hope they do not over do it. I love how the homes on the south end of the Pit envelope the stadium as do those along the east side where the decks are. I hope that most of the homes are preserved. I remember that the stadium being nestled in the neighborhood was one of the qualities sited by USAToday in their article.

It's a nice setting that I think we all like but I'd much rather have a safer campus than having the houses still standing there occupied by section 8 type tenants. I dont think there is any possible way they can over do it when you are addressing the issue of safety.

The more greenspace and the less housing the better off Elder and its students will be. If they could somehow do what St. Ignatius was able to do with their campus it would do wonders for the immediate area and long-term it would become beneficial to enrollment as well.

Is there any chance that any of this open land could be used for a new Fieldhouse/basketball arena down the road? Complete with football, baseball, wrestling, locker rooms and new weight facilities? I know it's a stretch, but seeing Moeller, X, and several GMC schools building new arenas may give a push to Elder. I love the basketball arena but it is a bit outdated compared to several other arenas in the City. Just a thought...

You can really start to envision a nice concourse up there on regina. Have a concession stand, a true ticket box office, maybe move the spirit shop to get it out of the weight room. All of which would have street access for deliveries so trucks wouldn't have to pull in front of school. Maybe tie in the field house in some capacity.

I've had visions of something similar for a few years. You could take a step further by expanding the press box, adding some new seats between the 40s (providing a new location for class reunions), more restrooms, etc.

However, we always have to keep in mind that the stadium is used about 5 times a year for varsity football games, about 10 times a year for freshman and JV games, and for a few home lacrosse matches. With a baseball stadium still to be built (plus whatever else needs to be completed at the PAC, plus a few other projects in the works), I don't think we'll see any expansion of the football stadium any time soon.

I agree. Their is no demand for new seats in The Pit.

Back in the early 2000's I would have said the interest and need existed but no longer.

If they ever do anything, club seating around the entire place would be my preference...it would be incredible and local business would support it.

Last edited:
According to this post FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/625762414694115/permalink/820564368547251, Elder recently purchased the house located at 1041 Regina Ave which is next to the handicap parking lot on Regina behind the home stands of The Pit and the school's intention is to expand that parking area.

If that's true, by my count Elder will own 5 lots behind the home stands of The Pit with only 3 houses remaining. Of those remaining houses, one is the purple and white house and the other is the house with the party deck.

According to this post FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/625762414694115/permalink/820564368547251, Elder recently purchased the house located at 1041 Regina Ave which is next to the handicap parking lot on Regina behind the home stands of The Pit and the school's intention is to expand that parking area.

If that's true, by my count Elder will own 5 lots behind the home stands of The Pit with only 3 houses remaining. Of those remaining houses, one is the purple and white house and the other is the house with the party deck.
I haven't been to The Pit in years. Sounds like a miniature Wrigley Field is going on there but for football. Too cool.

I hope the demolition stops there. I understand the need for the handicap access and used it when my Dad was having problems, but we want to maintain the character of "The Pit".

I hope the demolition stops there. I understand the need for the handicap access and used it when my Dad was having problems, but we want to maintain the character of "The Pit".

You don’t think the powers that be involved with this want to maintain the character of The Pit as much as possible? Better off with AoC/Elder buying properties before possible slumlords?

I think it’s also important to the school to have as much available parking on campus for the kids, even if it’s only 20 spaces at a time.

I 100% agree. Please keep the houses. I understand buying the houses, but possibly the house can be turned into another office space possibly for guidance counselors.

In almost every article about The Pit is the houses surrounding it.

I 100% agree. Please keep the houses. I understand buying the houses, but possibly the house can be turned into another office space possibly for guidance counselors.

In almost every article about The Pit is the houses surrounding it.

Think those houses are pretty old and Elder obviously landlocked. Buy them, tear them down and use for parking or build their own house(s) for some more “office” space?