More Houses Near Elder Razed

If they weren't panicked, they wouldn't have fired their admissions director last year.

That guy was incompetent. I think we all know that. I do not know what you are trying to do here. If I were you I would be more worried about the Colerain township area. I know Delhi can seem bad at times, but it is nothing compared to Colerain. If Elder goes down Colerain is going to go down well before it.

That guy was incompetent. I think we all know that. I do not know what you are trying to do here. If I were you I would be more worried about the Colerain township area. I know Delhi can seem bad at times, but it is nothing compared to Colerain. If Elder goes down Colerain is going to go down well before it.

Why would I care any more about that than anywhere else? I don't live in Colerain Township.

P.S. Not only is he incompetent, he's the biggest ---hole on the planet.

Why would I care any more about that than anywhere else? I don't live in Colerain Township.

P.S. Not only is he incompetent, he's the biggest ---hole on the planet.

Exhibit A why Elder can survive this. The alumni do care and the administration cares and does a he11 of a lot to protect the school, hence the buying and razing of homes by the school.

PB06, I think you are a tad off-base here. LCD is not trolling or even trying to stir the pot. He's bringing up legitimate concerns that Elder will have to face somewhere down the line. Maybe not in the next 5-10 years, but maybe 25-35 from now. Look at parishes that have driven Elder over the years, St Lawrence has been on the decline for years, St William same way. As this crap moves further West it affects Elder feeder schools. St Theresa has been hit most recently, and St A's plus Lourdes are right behind them. Think about all this section 8 housing BS that HUD and CHMA is trying to put in Green Township. It will only multiply and expand. When this has happened, where have people moved? West. People moved from Price Hill to Delhi and Green. From there they've moved out to Cleves, after Cleves you have Harrison and then Indiana. It's something that the school will have to consider the more Price Hill declines.

PB06, I think you are a tad off-base here. LCD is not trolling or even trying to stir the pot. He's bringing up legitimate concerns that Elder will have to face somewhere down the line. Maybe not in the next 5-10 years, but maybe 25-35 from now. Look at parishes that have driven Elder over the years, St Lawrence has been on the decline for years, St William same way. As this crap moves further West it affects Elder feeder schools. St Theresa has been hit most recently, and St A's plus Lourdes are right behind them. Think about all this section 8 housing BS that HUD and CHMA is trying to put in Green Township. It will only multiply and expand. When this has happened, where have people moved? West. People moved from Price Hill to Delhi and Green. From there they've moved out to Cleves, after Cleves you have Harrison and then Indiana. It's something that the school will have to consider the more Price Hill declines.

I agree. However, I understand LCDs point to be if Price Hill continues to decline, not the townships west of it. I agree if Green twshp gets hit hard by Sec 8, then Elder is in a lot of trouble. Yet, the immediate area around Elder has been cleaned up very well. There is almost no criminal activity on Regina, Harris, Vincent, or Gilsey. That being said I would love for Elder to reach out to kids on the East Side.

I agree. However, I understand LCDs point to be if Price Hill continues to decline, not the townships west of it. I agree if Green twshp gets hit hard by Sec 8, then Elder is in a lot of trouble. Yet, the immediate area around Elder has been cleaned up very well. There is almost no criminal activity on Regina, Harris, Vincent, or Gilsey. That being said I would love for Elder to reach out to kids on the East Side.

Like you I hope Elder never has to get up and move, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility. Remember St X used to be located downtown when they first opened. As for opening up doors to the Eastside, I don't think that will happen.

Like you I hope Elder never has to get up and move, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility. Remember St X used to be located downtown when they first opened. As for opening up doors to the Eastside, I don't think that will happen.

Why not? If some east side alumns want to work on sending their kid to Elder, I think that is great. Hopefully they can keep reaching out to thw White Oak area and bring in more kids form Is and James.

:laugh: b/c St.X and LS are in such safe neighborhoods too? Have you ever been St. Ignatius' campus? Its in the middle of downtown Cleveland and they seem to do fine. Elder is essentially trying to build a moat b/w themselves and the neighborhood and I think they are doing a good job.

What Elder is trying to do with all these properties does remind me some of what St. Ignatius did up in Cleveland. That was a horrible area that St Ignatius was in at one time but they ended up expanding and built themselves a very nice sized campus that takes up a number of blocks and it pretty much keeps the school completely immune from the surrounding area. Hopefully long-term Elder can do something similar or eventually re-locating the school will have to become a realistic option in my opinion. Where I'm not sure, but it would stay west for sure. Whitewater Twp maybe?

If Elder is going to survive as a D1 school at its current location, it needs to attract more kids from non-traditional areas. It's location can actually be a benefit in this area.

Other than OLV, St Jude, and Visi the remaining west-side parishes are on the decline (enrollment wise). Reaching out to Catherines, James, Ignatius, etc is a great start but it's not enough.

I was amazed when I realized the Pike kid in Reading lives closer to Elder than many Elder students. Elder needs to go after the traditional Roger Bacon kids and even Purcell (Clifton is relatively close to Elder).

What Elder is trying to do with all these properties does remind me some of what St. Ignatius did up in Cleveland. That was a horrible area that St Ignatius was in at one time but they ended up expanding and built themselves a very nice sized campus that takes up a number of blocks and it pretty much keeps the school completely immune from the surrounding area. Hopefully long-term Elder can do something similar or eventually re-locating the school will have to become a realistic option in my opinion. Where I'm not sure, but it would stay west for sure. Whitewater Twp maybe?

I just do not see how moving further west will help the enrollment. It would be close to a 30 minute driver for some kids. Elder can survive by doing exactly what they are doing now.

If Elder is going to survive as a D1 school at its current location, it needs to attract more kids from non-traditional areas. It's location can actually be a benefit in this area.

Other than OLV, St Jude, and Visi the remaining west-side parishes are on the decline (enrollment wise). Reaching out to Catherines, James, Ignatius, etc is a great start but it's not enough.

I was amazed when I realized the Pike kid in Reading lives closer to Elder than many Elder students. Elder needs to go after the traditional Roger Bacon kids and even Purcell (Clifton is relatively close to Elder).

Thats not a bad idea at all.

I just do not see how moving further west will help the enrollment. It would be close to a 30 minute driver for some kids. Elder can survive by doing exactly what they are doing now.

How do you not see that it will help? The more section 8 BS moves West the more westside families will move West. It's already been shown that that's what happens when neighborhoods start going downhill. The only way Elder gets kids outside their traditional feeders is when the family originally went to Elder or because of athletics. Not many kids from CPS or other public schools actually choose Elder. Heck most of the kids that have played football for St Williams over the past 5 years have not gone to Elder. I'm sure there are alumni and others thinking about these things, but the first option is definitely to stay put.

PB06, ........... Look at parishes that have driven Elder over the years, St Lawrence has been on the decline for years, St William same way. ..........
But St. Lawrence Masses are filled every weekend. Filled by those who pretend to belong to OL Victory, OL Visitation, James, etc.. So remember if it is good enough to come to Price Hill for MASS, it must be good enough to belong to Williams, St. Lawrence, St. Teresa, Elder, etc.. If the schools and the churches are not the problem and it's the area, then quit moving out and stay and help. If enough good stay around, or not move in the first place, it would not be the way it is today.

I had about a 30 minute drive to Elder. Stop being a such a b----.

But St. Lawrence Masses are filled every weekend. Filled by those who pretend to belong to OL Victory, OL Visitation, James, etc.. So remember if it is good enough to come to Price Hill for MASS, it must be good enough to belong to Williams, St. Lawrence, St. Teresa, Elder, etc.. If the schools and the churches are not the problem and it's the area, then quit moving out and stay and help. If enough good stay around, or not move in the first place, it would not be the way it is today.

You really think people are driving 25 minutes + from St James/Visi to St Lawrence for mass? :Ohno:

How many of these pretenders you descibe have kids in those schools?

I agree completely. They need to figure out a way to attract students from a broader area or the enrollment decline will absolutely happen in the future. Elder is extremely close to all the catholic schools in Clifton. It's only about a 3-4 mile drive from Elder up into Clifton. St. Joe's on Ezzard Charles is another school they should get the majority of kids from. It takes 5 minutes to get to Elder from there. I think they only got 3 kids from there in last year's freshman class. That should improve. St. Boniface too.

I hope they have someone in admissions that is out there attracting students from the general area, not just the traditional feeders. The last really good admissions guy they had in my opinion was Sean Kelly from 04 through 06. He brought in one class of over 300 and 2 others well over 250. He was getting interest in Elder at every school cathlolic or public on this side of town.

The development of the PAC was a statement made by the alumni.We are NOT going to move Elder.The PAC committee should be commended for their tireless efforts in fundraising and the development of the outstanding athletic complex.I think their is a unified committment to try and improve the physical plant of Elder High School and we can all contribute in some form.We can certainly use St. Ignatius and Indianapolis Cathedral as examples of schools who maintain safety for their students in changing demographics and continue their positive presence in the neighborhood.The idea of creating a "campus" with property purchased is an excellent idea,we are fortunate to have a strong ,dedicated alumni base who would like to preserve the tradition of Elder at Vincent and Regina.

I think moving west could actually help enrollment.

I think a lot more families in Green Twp, Whitewater, Harrison Twp and Miami Heights that choose to send their kids to Oak Hills, St X, Harrison, LaSalle or Taylor would send them to Elder if they were in a "perceived" safer location. And you certainly wouldn't lose any of the kids from the feeder schools that still send their kids to Elder.

As others have stated in these recent posts about the current location. 1. They dont attract many kids from Cincinnati Public Schools.... 2. They dont get many kids at all from the catholic schools that are non-traditional feeders yet still close to Elder (St. Joe's, Corryville Catholic, St. Boniface, St Catharine, etc..) and 3. They actually dont get a great amount of kids anymore from the Price Hill feeders. While they get the majority from St Teresa I dont think they do from St William, St Lawrence or Holy Family.

I dont want Elder to move, but like I said if things do not get better in Price Hill in the future or they dont branch out into other schools and the enrollment starts to decline it may be the best option. We dont want what has happened to Roger Bacon and Purcell to happen to Elder.

The development of the PAC was a statement made by the alumni.We are NOT going to move Elder.The PAC committee should be commended for their tireless efforts in fundraising and the development of the outstanding athletic complex.I think their is a unified committment to try and improve the physical plant of Elder High School and we can all contribute in some form.We can certainly use St. Ignatius and Indianapolis Cathedral as examples of schools who maintain safety for their students in changing demographics and continue their positive presence in the neighborhood.The idea of creating a "campus" with property purchased is an excellent idea,we are fortunate to have a strong ,dedicated alumni base who would like to preserve the tradition of Elder at Vincent and Regina.

Did Cathedral do something similar to what St. Ignatius did and hopefully what Elder is doing...? I've seen the St. Ignatius campus and what they did is amazing.

Don,I do not know what Cathedral did specifically,I do know they are maintaining their enrollment and continue to serve a broad area of Indianapolis in providing quality education in a safe atmosphere.
I agree St. Ignatius is an excellent example of what a school can do to improve the "campus" and neighborhood.

I'm sorry the reason those masses are packed has more to do with the length and convenience as opposed to "being safe." I'm from Victory but attend StL 7pm mass regularly and there a many shady people hanging around StL when mass starts and even more when mass gets out. I'm not sure if Elder donates any money to parishes like StL, but I do know that 7pm mass is huge for them. Heck for all I know, that mass every week could be helping them stay open.

There are a good number of people who would like to stay and help clean it up, but is it a winnable fight? PH has not gotten any better over the last 5-10 years it's gotten worse. And more families will keep moving into cheap houses and keep ruining the neighborhood as it's done over the past several years.

The development of the PAC was a statement made by the alumni.We are NOT going to move Elder.

I agree with you on the first part of this. That is a huge investment just like buying and razing all those houses around the school. However, if numbers start to plummet because traditional feeders begin closing and more people move West, along with little participation from CPS and non-traditional feeders then Elder may either have to close it's doors or move. I think they'd be willing to move before closing down. Then there's always the crazy co-ed idea, which many including myself see as not likely.

I agree with you on the first part of this. That is a huge investment just like buying and razing all those houses around the school. However, if numbers start to plummet because traditional feeders begin closing and more people move West, along with little participation from CPS and non-traditional feeders then Elder may either have to close it's doors or move. I think they'd be willing to move before closing down. Then there's always the crazy co-ed idea, which many including myself see as not likely.

He11 no. In the end, I think Elder will be fine. The way I see it if you move out west, you lose the traditional parishes like Dominic, Bills, Teresa, Lourdes. Thus, what you are gaining by moving out west should off set this. However, if LS is not panicking Elder shouldn't.

Well I am from St. Lawrence and have been for 60 years, the 7pm mass is not what is keeping us open at all, the rest of our masses are very well attended also and yes there are a lot of people from victory, lourdes and visi. who attend our masses, I see this myself every week. I am not sure if this helps our collection basket or not because if they have kids in these other schools I am sure they have to give there also, and by the way I hate our 7 pm mass because it makes me feel like I didn't even attend mass. Some of the people who attend that mass are lucky if they are even there for ten minutes and sometimes are lucky if they make it inside the church.

Anyhow. Getting back to the houses...

That gate on Gilsey has needed to be widen for a while. Cars are now parked on both sides of Gilsey which I don't think it was ever intended for, and that gate after school has caused some accidents with only one car being able to come in or out. A minor thing, but hopefully they address if when they expand the parking lot. would be nice to landscape it like the Glenway gate with a nice fence and trees. It would actually improve Gilsey as a street.

You really think people are driving 25 minutes + from St James/Visi to St Lawrence for mass? :Ohno:

How many of these pretenders you descibe have kids in those schools?

You'd be surprised how far a family will drive for orthodoxy... The late Father Bertke and current pastor Father Watkins had/has it in buckets.. nice group of us (10 to 15 families that I know personally) from my area who drive 25 plus minutes to attend Mass at StL. Kids aren't in the school but we have put a ton of time in volunteering and support Father as much as we can..

CC

You'd be surprised how far a family will drive for orthodoxy... The late Father Bertke and current pastor Father Watkins had/has it in buckets.. nice group of us (10 to 15 families that I know personally) from my area who drive 25 plus minutes to attend Mass at StL. Kids aren't in the school but we have put a ton of time in volunteering and support Father as much as we can..

CC

You mean people go to church for the religious experience and not how short the mass is? Hmmm, is St. Lawrence still a Catholic church? :D

I'm sorry the reason those masses are packed has more to do with the length and convenience as opposed to "being safe." I'm from Victory but attend StL 7pm mass regularly and there a many shady people hanging around StL when mass starts and even more when mass gets out. I'm not sure if Elder donates any money to parishes like StL, but I do know that 7pm mass is huge for them. Heck for all I know, that mass every week could be helping them stay open.

There are a good number of people who would like to stay and help clean it up, but is it a winnable fight? PH has not gotten any better over the last 5-10 years it's gotten worse. And more families will keep moving into cheap houses and keep ruining the neighborhood as it's done over the past several years.

I know its not helping them stay open. St. Lawrence enrollment has been steady based on numbers given from downtown. Parish numbers have been steady, again based on numbers from downtown. Festival numbers are up over the last 5 years based on church bulletin at 7pm mass. I doubt Elder donates any more to St. Lawrence than they do to any other feeder school.