More Houses Near Elder Razed

Based on my amateur review of the Hamilton County Auditor website, Elder now owns 4 of the 7 lots on the east side of Panther Court (not including the portion of the Schaeper Center parking lot at the corner of Glenway Ave and Panther Ct).

Based on my amateur review of the Hamilton County Auditor website, Elder now owns 4 of the 7 lots on the east side of Panther Court (not including the portion of the Schaeper Center parking lot at the corner of Glenway Ave and Panther Ct).

Kind of sad to see the loss of housing near the school but I understand why they are doing this. Do they have any plans for the lots they have? More Parking?

Also, curious if they made any attempts to have someone come in to salvage any materials (windows, doors, old light fixtures, moulding) from those houses before they tore them down.

Kind of sad to see the loss of housing near the school but I understand why they are doing this. Do they have any plans for the lots they have? More Parking?
My guess is that in the near term it will be additional parking. Once larger contiguous pieces of real estate are available, one can imagine what could be done.

I had also heard they were considering taking some of the houses and converting them into offices for teachers, alumni groups, advanced education and college placement centers, etc.

It's the same concept many of the colleges use (ie Xavier, Miami Un) to give the Elder physical plant more of a college campus feel.

I wonder if some of the area could be used to build Elder a wrestling room? Elder is the only school of the 4 big GCL schools without its own wrestling room. It could possibly be a combined locker room(football/wrestling), wrestling room, fitness center.

I wonder if some of the area could be used to build Elder a wrestling room? Elder is the only school of the 4 big GCL schools without its own wrestling room. It could possibly be a combined locker room(football/wrestling), wrestling room, fitness center.

Love this idea but having our own gym is something of a benefit right now. The only issue with having the gym is we only get to use it during our season (and sometimes during the fall). It does hurt during the spring season when we run a spring club. We partner with Oak Hills and use thier facility. It would be nice to be able to have a room we call our own and be able to use it 12 months out of the year.

Just my 2 cents!

Coach McCoy

I do not think that the PAC makes money. Does it?

It may be too early to tell on that, but I also think the situation is a bit different with the PAC. The land was donated to Elder by a group of alumni, so that eliminated a huge expense. The PAC also offers a wider focus (baseball, tennis, track, etc.), where a swimming facility is obviously limited.

Has the Grand Poobahs at Elder ever considered relocation? I know it's a terrific building and property rich in history, but they're fighting a losing battle here.

Last edited:
Has the Grand Poobahs at Elder ever considered relocation? I know it's a terrific building and property rich in history, but they're fighting a losing battle here.

You are so wrong. Sounds like the view of a narrowminded suburbanite. Please quit insulting my neighborhood and those like me who live in it.

I was under the impression that the land was donated by the city.

No. The land itself and much of the initial development (tree clearing, grading, etc.) was donated by a group of alumni (I personally know one of the group). One of the guys in the group owns the house with the deck (Panther Pavilion) overlooking The Pit.

:laugh: b/c St.X and LS are in such safe neighborhoods too? Have you ever been St. Ignatius' campus? Its in the middle of downtown Cleveland and they seem to do fine. Elder is essentially trying to build a moat b/w themselves and the neighborhood and I think they are doing a good job.

You are so wrong. Sounds like the view of a narrowminded suburbanite. Please quit insulting my neighborhood and those like me who live in it.

Are you off your goddamn meds? I wasn't insulting you. I have more experience in that area than you may think. Just the decline I watched over the past two years was more than I can stomach. I had a drive-by murder right across the street from my building on Price. I had an armed home invasion next door on Chateau. I had to watch cops that were afraid to get out of their cars at night we called them for drug dealers and other loiterers on my property. I had a former tenant get stoned and kill her kid. So don't act like I sit up here in the suburbs of Green Twp and don't know what's going on. I've been there and done it. If things weren't already lousy enough, you've got a piece of crap President who just loves these thugs and is throwing money at CMHA to add 50 more people on Sec. 8 vouchers per month. Where do you think a good chunk of that swine will slop? Yep, Price Hill. But even if you guys think none of that matters and Elder somehow exists in it's own bubble, one piece of data that you can't deny comes from the Census. Cincinnati leads Ohio in population decline and is losing residents at a rate of 2800 people per year. If that weren't bad enough, the rate is actually accelerating from 9% in the 90's to 10% in the 2000's. Following current trends, it's estimated Cincinnat's population will be down to roughly 265,000 residents by the end of the decade. So even if they're willing to combat the thuggery and other problems specific to Price Hill, how to they survive the economics and demographic shifts to Cincinnati as a whole?

These are legitimate questions, does anyone have a legitimate answer or does name calling suffice when you can't challenge reality?

Are you off your goddamn meds? I wasn't insulting you. I have more experience in that area than you may think. Just the decline I watched over the past two years was more than I can stomach. I had a drive-by murder right across the street from my building on Price. I had an armed home invasion next door on Chateau. I had to watch cops that were afraid to get out of their cars at night we called them for drug dealers and other loiterers on my property. I had a former tenant get stoned and kill her kid. So don't act like I sit up here in the suburbs of Green Twp and don't know what's going on. I've been there and done it. If things weren't already lousy enough, you've got a piece of crap President who just loves these thugs and is throwing money at CMHA to add 50 more people on Sec. 8 vouchers per month. Where do you think a good chunk of that swine will slop? Yep, Price Hill. But even if you guys think none of that matters and Elder somehow exists in it's own bubble, one piece of data that you can't deny comes from the Census. Cincinnati leads Ohio in population decline and is losing residents at a rate of 2800 people per year. If that weren't bad enough, the rate is actually accelerating from 9% in the 90's to 10% in the 2000's. Following current trends, it's estimated Cincinnat's population will be down to roughly 265,000 residents by the end of the decade. So even if they're willing to combat the thuggery and other problems specific to Price Hill, how to they survive the economics and demographic shifts to Cincinnati as a whole?

These are legitimate questions, does anyone have a legitimate answer or does name calling suffice when you can't challenge reality?

The majority of the areas losing population are Price Hill, Fairmont, and Westwood. You do realize 95% of the students come from outside the city of Cincinnati limits? If you think the suburban areas where Elder draws are going to be hit hard, then you really need to look at Colerain.

The majority of the areas losing population are Price Hill, Fairmont, and Westwood. You do realize 95% of the students come from outside the city of Cincinnati limits? If you think the suburban areas where Elder draws are going to be hit hard, then you really need to look at Colerain.

No doubt other areas are fighting a similar battle. Maybe not to the same degree, but it's an issue facing Ohio's cities as a whole, not just Cincinnati. Ohio lost two Congressional seats and electoral votes so I'm not trying to lay the reason people are running for the door all on Cincinnati, let alone Price Hill. But even so, the trends are real and anybody can see them in plain black and white. It just seems to be that someday a decision will have to be made on what matters most. Is it the instution or the location? What's the plan when economic reality dictates that you can't have both?

No doubt other areas are fighting a similar battle. Maybe not to the same degree, but it's an issue facing Ohio's cities as a whole, not just Cincinnati. Ohio lost two Congressional seats and electoral votes so I'm not trying to lay the reason people are running for the door all on Cincinnati, let alone Price Hill. But even so, the trends are real and anybody can see them in plain black and white. It just seems to be that someday a decision will have to be made on what matters most. Is it the instution or the location? What's the plan when economic reality dictates that you can't have both?

What economic reality? The enrollment has remained steady over the past 10 years. If you Elder is just going to up and move to Harrison and keep a steady enrollment you are wrong. I am all for expanding the reach of enrollment and right now you are seeing more kids coming for St. Ignatius and St. James. I won't argue the trends in the city itself are very disturbing. It does keep me up at night sometimes worrying about what may happen if things spread out to Green Twship, Delhi(OLV parish), Bridgetown, and Miami Heights. However, Elder is built for the long haul. The alumni are second to none in the city and will do everything necessary to keep the school safe and running.

What economic reality? The enrollment has remained steady over the past 10 years. If you Elder is just going to up and move to Harrison and keep a steady enrollment you are wrong. I am all for expanding the reach of enrollment and right now you are seeing more kids coming for St. Ignatius and St. James. I won't argue the trends in the city itself are very disturbing. It does keep me up at night sometimes worrying about what may happen if things spread out to Green Twship, Delhi(OLV parish), Bridgetown, and Miami Heights. However, Elder is built for the long haul. The alumni are second to none in the city and will do everything necessary to keep the school safe and running.

The Elder forum suggests otherwise

http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3597820

:laugh: That is from 2 years ago. Like I said it was my concern several years ago and still is. However, I have not seen any tangible drop in enrollment. Your attempt at trolling is coming up futile. Shouldn't you be worried about Colerain's increasing thug population? I am sure your kid has to be in hs by now since you have been a Little Card Dad for about 6 years. Unless of course he has been held back like so many other Colerain kids.

:laugh: That is from 2 years ago. Like I said it was my concern several years ago and still is. However, I have not seen any tangible drop in enrollment. Your attempt at trolling is coming up futile. Shouldn't you be worried about Colerain's increasing thug population? I am sure your kid has to be in hs by now since you have been a Little Card Dad for about 6 years. Unless of course he has been held back like so many other Colerain kids.

So were you lying then or now?