General NFL Chat

That has been my dilemma over the years with the Vikings. Step out of the dome for an important regular season game or postseason game and splat. And from a franchise that used to routinely win frozen postseason games at home over bewildered opponents while steely-eyed Bud Grant looked on, seemingly impervious to the bone chilling temperatures.
View attachment 51537
Dome stadiums are not a good idea if your goal is to win the SB. Home field Northern temperatures are a big home field advantage.

Lets update this AFC race:

Ravens 11-3, Miami 10-4, KC and the Browns are 9-5, Houston, Indy, Jags, Bengals and Bills are 8-6, Steelers and Broncos are on life support at 7-7

Remaining schedules:
- Ravens: @ 49ers, Miami, Steelers --- Tough schedule
- Miami: Cowboys, @ Ravens, Buffalo --- Also very tough
- KC: Raiders, Bengals, @ Chargers --- Easy schedule
- Jags: @ Tampa, Carolina, @ Titans --- Easy
- Browns: @ Houston, Jets, @ Bengals --- Moderate schedule
- Houston: Browns, Titans, @ Colts --- Moderate
- Colts: @ Atlanta, Raiders, Houston --- Moderate
- Buffalo: @ Chargers, Patriots, @ Miami --- Moderate
- Steelers: Bengals, @ Seattle, @ Ravens --- Tough
- Broncos: Patriots, Chargers, @ Raiders --- Easy

Would not shock me to see Ravens and KC tied at 12-5 for the #1. No clue who wins those tie breakers.

Would not surprise me to see Miami lose to Dallas and Ravens, setting up a showdown with Buffalo for the East in week 18.

How the South turns out, and how the wild cards shake out are anyone's guess. Should be fun. GO BROWNS!

Ravens 11-3, Miami 10-4, KC and the Browns are 9-5, Houston, Indy, Jags, Bengals and Bills are 8-6, Steelers and Broncos are on life support at 7-7

Remaining schedules:

Would not shock me to see Ravens and KC tied at 12-5 for the #1. No clue who wins those tie breakers.

Would not surprise me to see Miami lose to Dallas and Ravens, setting up a showdown with Buffalo for the East in week 18.

How the South turns out, and how the wild cards shake out are anyone's guess. Should be fun. GO BROWNS!
I think you are probably going to see 4 teams with a 10-7 record for 3 wild card spots, no clue how the tie breakers will work then. Maybe one gets hot and gets top seed at 11-6. Jags might be without Lawrence next week and the Buccs have a solid playoff chance so that could make an easy schedule move to moderate.

Difference in tanking and "not trying to win". So here's a twist. Could it be that teams are not just blatantly trying to lose, but just manipulating their rosters enough to make it hard to win? How many of these teams seem to sit key players or start quarterbacks who've not played much at all this season. Possible?

1702926694159.png

Difference in tanking and "not trying to win". So here's a twist. Could it be that teams are not just blatantly trying to lose, but just manipulating their rosters enough to make it hard to win? How many of these teams seem to sit key players or start quarterbacks who've not played much at all this season. Possible?
OK can you name one of the "bad" teams where they are sitting healthy players and playing worse players, or is this just another wacky conspiracy theory of yours?

FYI the Browns are playing without 13 starters but are still winning.

Remaining schedules:

Bengals last 3: @ Stealers, @ Chiefs, Home vs Browns.

Remaining schedules:

Key game for me is the Jets at Cleveland. If the Browns lose that game, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Key game for me is the Jets at Cleveland. If the Browns lose that game, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs.
"Deserve" has nothing to do with it. Why is that a key game? If the Browns beat Houston and Cincy, and lose to the Jets, they are 11-6 and own all the tiebreakers. They are definitely in. Jets game is least important of the 3 games. Having said that, yes, it should be the "easiest" of the 3.

The simple fact is that every game I listed matters in the race. It's why we love it.

Whoever called the 4th and inches play should be fired tomorrow if not sooner. Browning should be told if he ever throws a pass like he did in the end zone again, he’s walking home.

It's pretty obvious that more NFL games will be shown on streaming networks rather than cable or network. What effect do you think it will have on NFL viewerships? Interest?

I, for one, refuse to get Amazon Prime just to see the Browns on Thurs. I'll listen on the radio.

Last edited:
It's pretty obvious that more NFL games will be shown on streaming networks rather than cable or network. What effect do you think it will have on NFL viewerships? Interest?

I, for one, refuse to get Amazon Prime just to see the Browns on Thurs. I'll listen on the radio.
I won't chase them around to pay to view. I get my local broadcast the same way I get my Yappi, free and with adds. Over the air antenna has the best picture going. Switching to Peacock for me will mean out of sight- out of mind.

Go the Sports Bar route

The problem is not the receivers for KC, did not have Hill last year when the Chiefs won the SB. The line is the bigger issue and Mahomes did not play well. However, KC has a good defense and will be a tough out in the playoffs.

Can't understand why they can't get some quality receivers. Outside of Kelcie, they have nobody. One and done in the playoffs this year
Once they had to pay Mahomes they had to shed some talent and depth to remain under the cap. The Russell Wilson effect. Seattle had it all while Russ was on the cheap rookie deal. Once he got paid the roster was sliced and diced and they remained a good team, but not a great team.

Once they had to pay Mahomes they had to shed some talent and depth to remain under the cap. The Russell Wilson effect. Seattle had it all while Russ was on the cheap rookie deal. Once he got paid the roster was sliced and diced and they remained a good team, but not a great team.
Yes, I understand but they could get better receivers on the cheap then they have now

I disagree. Mahomes KC cap hit has been:
* 2022 $35.7 mil
* 2023 $37 mil
* 2024 $57 mil
* 2025 $60 mil
* 2026 $63 mil

KC win the Super Bowl last year without wr Tyreek Hill but they had wr Juju Smith-Schuster who was reliable, then rookie Sky Moore was ok and idiot Kadarius Toney didn’t self implode unlike this year.

If KC had hit on the SkyybMiire draft pick and if Smith-Schuster or another vet would have been signed last off season I think KC would be just fine.

KC did look horrible today vs Las Vegas.

I disagree. Mahomes KC cap hit has been:
* 2022 $35.7 mil
* 2023 $37 mil
* 2024 $57 mil
* 2025 $60 mil
* 2026 $63 mil

KC win the Super Bowl last year without wr Tyreek Hill but they had wr Juju Smith-Schuster who was reliable, then rookie Sky Moore was ok and idiot Kadarius Toney didn’t self implode unlike this year.

If KC had hit on the SkyybMiire draft pick and if Smith-Schuster or another vet would have been signed last off season I think KC would be just fine.

KC did look horrible today vs Las Vegas.
It’s an insidious process that takes a few years. When they are three years removed from last year’s Super Bowl win, we may be seeing that as the high point. The good news for KC is Mahomes is young enough where he can still be a top QB after the roster is restocked and go on another run. However, the brains behind all of it…Andy Reid…will probably be gone.

Yes, I understand but they could get better receivers on the cheap then they have now

That problem might be partially solved when Swift has gotten all of the PR and inspiration she needs for her next album and drops Kelce. He then retires and goes to tv, opening up his salary.

Great video that is ostensibly about Josh Allen but is also a thoughtful take on American football and the NFL:

From the Pittsburgh Tribune:

The Pro Football Hall of Fame announced the 15 finalists for the class of 2024 on Wednesday night. Former Steelers Hines Ward and James Harrison didn’t make the cut.

Ward has been one of 25 semifinalists the past eight years. Harrison has made that round the past two years. Both men have 25 years from when they retired to be considered for induction. From there, they’ll be placed in the seniors pool.

Two first-year eligible players — tight end Antonio Gates and defensive end Julius Peppers — are among the 15 finalists.

Harrison had 84.5 sacks with five Pro Bowls and two first-team All-Pros. Peppers had 159.5 (fifth in NFL history) with nine Pro Bowls and four first-team All-Pros. Harrison was Defensive Player of the Year in 2008. Peppers was part of the NFL’s All-Decade team for both the 2000s and the 2010s.

However, it’s not a direct comp as Harrison was an outside linebacker and Peppers was a true defensive end. So they had different responsibilities against the run and in coverage. Plus, Harrison’s career was one remembered for dominance in a five-year burst, whereas Peppers’ was marked by consistency over a 17-year career.

Three receivers are finalists in front of Ward: Andre Johnson (third year as a finalist), Torry Holt (fifth year) and Reggie Wayne (fifth year). Ward’s 1,000 catches are more than Holt’s 920. Ward’s 85 career touchdowns are more than Wayne’s 82, Holt’s 74 and Johnson’s 70.

I used to be one who thought that Ward was a great player whose numbers may not be enough to get him into the Hall. Upon further review, his numbers measure up just fine with those who are getting stronger consideration than him and others who are already in. Plus he was a Super Bowl MVP.

Not surprised by Harrison. He was probably not good for long enough. Hines Ward however should probably be in the Hall.