Division I State Championship: St. Edward (14-1) vs Springfield (13-1)

Who wins?

• St. Edward by 17+

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • St. Edward by 8-16

Votes: 73 39.5%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
They beat Ed’s by throwing the ball and using their speed. They were throwing bombs left and right. Even the bombs that didn’t get caught resulted in a pass interference or incomplete. Ed’s DBs had a tough night.
Specifically, Eds was 1/5 on field goals, and fumbled leading 28-25 with a minute left. Massillon then hit a game winning touchdown pass. Earlier in the first half, the Tigers hit their top receiver for 2 long touchdowns, Ardell Banks. Think Thigpen's length with Brown's speed. He has offers to Arizona State, Kentucky, Pitt and Cincy, among others.

Eds was a talent-laden but inexperienced team through the Massillon game week 5 which, like Fairmont for Springfield at about the same time, seemed to serve as a wake up call.

Since that time, both teams have been lights out, albeit in different ways. Springfield wants to play 7 on 7 and score from anywhere at any time, and Eds wants to punish their opponent with 15-play 7 minute drives.

If styles make for fights, then this should be a dandy. Springfield has one of the best passing arrays of talent Ohio has ever seen, and Eds has two of the best lines at the same time we've ever seen, with arguably the best edge rushing tandem ever.

Has it been determined that the Toledo teams WILL if they win a division play in Ford Field for the championship?
I am not sure on that one. It probably would require an open date for week 9 or 10, which, in my opinion, Central is unlikely to do. I will see what I can find out.

Specifically, Eds was 1/5 on field goals, and fumbled leading 28-25 with a minute left. Massillon then hit a game winning touchdown pass. Earlier in the first half, the Tigers hit their top receiver for 2 long touchdowns, Ardell Banks. Think Thigpen's length with Brown's speed. He has offers to Arizona State, Kentucky, Pitt and Cincy, among others.

Eds was a talent-laden but inexperienced team through the Massillon game week 5 which, like Fairmont for Springfield at about the same time, seemed to serve as a wake up call.

Since that time, both teams have been lights out, albeit in different ways. Springfield wants to play 7 on 7 and score from anywhere at any time, and Eds wants to punish their opponent with 15-play 7 minute drives.

If styles make for fights, then this should be a dandy. Springfield has one of the best passing arrays of talent Ohio has ever seen, and Eds has two of the best lines at the same time we've ever seen, with arguably the best edge rushing tandem ever.
You love hyperbole. 3 different mentions of "Best ever" in one post.

Kilbane and Gideon are great but so were the 97 McKinley DEs, the 95 Ignatius DEs, and St Xavier in 07.

One could argue the 04 Colerain team was all of what SHS and Ed's brings this Friday combined.

m

Just bring that same energy when Springfield looses again , you won’t you’ll disappear for 6 months again 😂

This Ed’s team is better than last year, has a 3 headed running attack and the best Oline in the state if not nation it’s not even close.

2 all state DEs is exactly what you need to stop a one dimensional passing team.

again you can’t beat Ed’s playing one di
Well let’s hear it for the small college privileged kids. In theory they should win every game. Still rooting for the public school underdog. I just hope it is a good game

You love hyperbole. 3 different mentions of "Best ever" in one post.

Kilbane and Gideon are great but so were the 97 McKinley DEs, the 95 Ignatius DEs, and St Xavier in 07.
The Springfield WRs have over 40 D1 offers between them. The 3 Eds junior O-lineman have over 70 D1 offers between them. And the Eds edge tandem of Kilbane and Gedeon have some 60 D1 offers between them. Call it hyperbole if you like

The Springfield WRs have over 40 D1 offers between them. The 3 Eds junior O-lineman have over 70 D1 offers between them. And the Eds edge tandem of Kilbane and Gedeon have some 60 D1 offers between them. Call it hyperbole if you like
What about the offers to the Springfield defense?

Perhaps you can show a complete list of schools, because being offered a DI scholarship to the University of Dayton is a big difference from the University of Notre Dame. Also, what are the ESPN rankings for each player?

Great they have a ton of offers. You immediately put them all in the best ever category. Have you been watching Ohio football for the past 35 years? Longer?

And I have posted many times how high I am on Kilbane. Gideon is very good but Kilbane is an all-timer. (IMO)

I am not sure on that one. It probably would require an open date for week 9 or 10, which, in my opinion, Central is unlikely to do. I will see what I can find out.
AFAIK, the way they do it is that you would play another opponent again if you didn't go to Ford Field? I could be wrong.

Great they have a ton of offers. You immediately put them all in the best ever category. Have you been watching Ohio football for the past 35 years? Longer?

And I have posted many times how high I am on Kilbane. Gideon is very good but Kilbane is an all-timer. (IMO)
Kilbane is going to Northwestern and Gideon is going to Coastal Carolina

Kilbane and Gedeon are a great tandem for St. Ed's, but I'm not even sure this year's DL is better than last year's. The 2021 DTs - Harvey and Oudeman were fantastic, and Molnar was a terrific DE who rotated in regularly. The 2015 DL with O'Malley, Reynolds, and Herold was another great one. But the 2010 DL with Deontae Gibson, Greg Kuhar, Tom Lally, and Darryl Render might have been the best Eagle DL.

The 2010 OL which featured Kyle Kalis (Michigan), Geoff Mogus (Northwestern), Tyler Orlosky (WVU), Trent Rivera (Penn), Brandon Jackson (WVU), and Sam Grant (TE, Oklahoma) was undoubtedly the best ever for St. Ed's.

Playing 1 dimensional football which Springfield will do is a recipe for disaster.

just stating the facts.

I just want all these Springfield posters to stick around after and not disappear into oblivion for 8 months.

Playing 1 dimensional football which Springfield will do is a recipe for disaster.

just stating the facts.

I just want all these Springfield posters to stick around after and not disappear into oblivion for 8 months.
Why shouldnt the Springfield posters do whatever they want? And, you're about to experience the 'Cats in 3D. And you're not gonna like it one bit..

Here are some stats and comparisons from the 2021 St. Edward team to the 2022 team. It was a little surprising to me to see that the 2021 team outscored the 2022 team by almost 10 pts per game. That was with a 2nd year QB, and a somewhat easier schedule.

1669755984627.png

just stating the facts.

I have never left. LOL!

Yea well don't go to a Massillon thread either. I responded to a question from a Massillon poster on a Massillon thread regarding Hoban and my responses were erased and I was banned from commenting. It's like twitter Pre Musk. If people don't like the open forum of discussions then don't read or don't respond I say.

For what it's worth, CalPreps has the St. Edward/Springfield matchup as the most competitive of the 7 finals matchups at 60/40.
http://www.calpreps.com/cgi-bin/2022/weekview.pl?week=Ohio_13

Thursday, December 1st

II CHAMPIONSHIP
Archbishop Hoban (Akron, OH) vs. Central Catholic (Toledo, OH) at Benson Stadium (Canton, OH), 7:00pm [projection and percent chances to win: Archbishop Hoban (Akron, OH) 35 (72%) Central Catholic (Toledo, OH) 27 (28%)]

Friday, December 2nd

I CHAMPIONSHIP
St. Edward (Lakewood, OH) vs. Springfield (OH) at Benson Stadium (Canton, OH), 7:30pm [projection and percent chances to win: St. Edward (Lakewood, OH) 24 (60%) Springfield (OH) 20 (40%)]

III CHAMPIONSHIP
Canfield (OH) vs. Bloom-Carroll (Carroll, OH) at Benson Stadium (Canton, OH), 3:00pm [projection and percent chances to win: Canfield (OH) 27 (62%) Bloom-Carroll (Carroll, OH) 21 (38%)]

V CHAMPIONSHIP
South Range (Canfield, OH) vs. Ironton (OH) at Benson Stadium (Canton, OH), 10:30am [projection and percent chances to win: South Range (Canfield, OH) 28 (65%) Ironton (OH) 21 (35%)]

Saturday, December 3rd

IV CHAMPIONSHIP
Glenville (Cleveland, OH) vs. Wyoming (Cincinnati, OH) at Benson Stadium (Canton, OH), 7:30pm [projection and percent chances to win: Glenville (Cleveland, OH) 28 (75%) Wyoming (Cincinnati, OH) 17 (25%)]

VI CHAMPIONSHIP
Marion Local (Maria Stein, OH) vs. Kirtland (OH) at Benson Stadium (Canton, OH), 10:30am [projection and percent chances to win: Marion Local (Maria Stein, OH) 24 (74%) Kirtland (OH) 14 (26%)]

VII CHAMPIONSHIP
New Bremen (OH) vs. Kennedy (Warren, OH) at Benson Stadium (Canton, OH), 3:00pm [projection and percent chances to win: New Bremen (OH) 22 (72%) Kennedy [John F.] (Warren, OH) 14 (28%)]

Status
Not open for further replies.