Division I State Championship: St. Edward (14-1) vs Springfield (13-1)

Who wins?

• St. Edward by 17+

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • St. Edward by 8-16

Votes: 73 39.5%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Erie Cath Prep had a field away from the school (Just like St Edward) but the one Erie HS stadium I loved when we went up there was this stadium with an old school in the end zone. A really cool old school made of stone I think, Cath. Prep played there once, but I don't think it was the regular stadium they used. I love that 3B bar in Erie. Really nice folks.
Yes. Prep now has their own field near their school they play and practice at. (it's called Dollinger field). There are 2 negatives to that field: 1. it has no visitors bleachers. 2. there is a train track that runs along the visitors side and trains come through regularly and they are very loud. As far as the stadium they used to play at, that used to be far all the Erie high schools including Prep, East, Strong Vincent, and Central HS. East, SV, and Central combined and now make up Erie High School. They play at Erie Veteran's Memorial Stadium. It is pretty nice and holds 10,000 plus. That is the school you are referring too with the old school in the end zone. The old school in the end zone is Erie Collegete Academy. That is where the HS brains of Erie go. Also Prep does use Veteran's stadium when they are the home team versus Erie McDowell because that is the only big game in Erie all year and Prep's stadium (Dollinger field) is way too small.

I'm seeing wind and rain possibly for this game at night. That sucks. I hope the forecast I see today is wrong.

I know Erie Cath Prep had a field away from the school (Just like St Edward) but the one Erie HS stadium I loved when we went up there was this stadium with an old school in the end zone. A really cool old school made of stone I think, Cath. Prep played there once, but I don't think it was the regular stadium they used. I love that 3B bar in Erie. Really nice folks.
Veterans Memorial Stadium was a regular home field for Cathedral Prep. Not as much anymore with the field they built a few blocks from the school. I agree Veterans is a cool old stadium. The players, I believe, had to walk down the steps from that old school onto the field.

Last edited:
While you can talk all day about D1 recruits, I'm largely convinced that high-school-football games are won more by just making sure your starters are better than their starters. The guys who aren't going to play college ball are just as important, perhaps they are even more important because they are 90% of the team.

Veterans Memorial Stadium was a regular home field for Cathedral Prep. Not as much anymore with the field they built a few blocks from the school. I agree Veterans is a cool old stadium. The players, I believe, had to walk down the steps from that old school onto the field.
Yes both teams have to walk down the long path of stairs. When you enter the stadium from the 2 main gates they now use, you are already at the top of the stadium. You have to walk down to get to a seat.

Will the most famous family in Springfield be at the game?

contemporary-prints-and-posters.jpg

I fully expect Schondelmyer and his talented trio of receivers to get their yards through the air, much like Smoot and company did last year. And like last year, the key for the Eagles will be keeping as many of those throws from crossing the goal line and, perhaps, plucking one or more out of the air for themselves. This St. Edward team has had a big net positive in the takeaway department this year, whether they come from picks, fumble recoveries or special teams blocks. That isn't by luck, but by dedicated focus in practice on creating turnovers. Springfield will need to be air tight in their ball security in all phases of the game. If Ed's can come up with one or more turnovers, their ball control offense can but opposing offenses in bad shape.

I fully expect Schondelmyer and his talented trio of receivers to get their yards through the air, much like Smoot and company did last year. And like last year, the key for the Eagles will be keeping as many of those throws from crossing the goal line and, perhaps, plucking one or more out of the air for themselves. This St. Edward team has had a big net positive in the takeaway department this year, whether they come from picks, fumble recoveries or special teams blocks. That isn't by luck, but by dedicated focus in practice on creating turnovers. Springfield will need to be air tight in their ball security in all phases of the game. If Ed's can come up with one or more turnovers, their ball control offense can but opposing offenses in bad shape.
However each defense plays should be the difference in this game

I know this is off topic, but I also know there are some on here that know I live in Erie but go to Ohio every week for HS football. And we have discussed Erie football and PA football before. With that being said, I wanted to let you know an another example of how pathetic the PA playoff system can work. PA is divided into 12 districts for playoffs. District 10 is the Erie and surrounding county areas. Erie Prep is 5A in PA, which is similar to Ohio's D2. So this was Erie Prep's playoff path in the playoffs. Week 1 of the playoffs they had no game because they are the only team in district in 5A in district 10. Everyone ran from them. That was a bye week for them. Then the next week they were scheduled to play the winner of the district 8 which is the Pittsburgh City League Champ. They opted out. So Prep got another bye. The next week they were to play the district 6 Champ. They opted out. So all together they got 3 byes in a row and were sitting in the state quarterfinals and hadn't played a game in a month. There are other examples of the same thing. Ohio FB is way ahead of the curve compared to PA. I know first hand how much better Ohio is run than PA. Also there is no point system for any divisions. Each district has a committee that picks who gets into their districts playoffs. Hopefully you can have a good chuckle about the PA playoff system like I do.

Last edited:
Yes, it's well known that PIAA's playoff system is a disaster. They still give a lot of power to the districts, and they can be all sizes.

They didn't have a playoff at all until the late 1980's.

I know this is off topic, but I also know there are some on here that know I live in Erie but go to Ohio every week for HS football. And we have discussed Erie football and PA football before. With that being said, I wanted to let you know an another example of how pathetic the PA playoff system can work. PA is divided into 12 districts for playoffs. District 10 is the Erie and surrounding county areas. Erie Prep is 5A in PA, which is similar to Ohio's D2. So this was Erie Prep's playoff path in the playoffs. Week 1 of the playoffs they had no game because they are the only team in district in 5A in district 10. Everyone ran from them. That was a bye week for them. Then the next week they were scheduled to play the winner of the district 8 which is the Pittsburgh City League Champ. They opted out. So Prep got another bye. The next week they were to play the district 6 Champ. They opted out. So all together they got 3 byes in a row and were sitting in the state quarterfinals and hadn't played a game in a month. There are other examples of the same thing. Ohio FB is way ahead of the curve compared to PA. I know first hand how much better Ohio is run than PA. Also there is no point system for any divisions. Each district has a committee that picks who gets into their districts playoffs. Hopefully you can have a good chuckle about the PA playoff system like I do.

And here is the clusterf---- that is PIAA football in Class AAAAA:

Opted out? That's nuts! Why wouldn't you give your kids one more week of football regardless of the perceived outcome.
When mentioning Districts, kept thinking Hunger Games 😁

Opted out? That's nuts! Why wouldn't you give your kids one more week of football regardless of the perceived outcome.
When mentioning Districts, kept thinking Hunger Games 😁
They opt out because PA is soft. Coaches that think they will get hammered just tell their district commissioner that they opt out. And it's done. It is a joke.

Yes! That was it. Watching it, I remember thinking that they were going to win. The St Ed comeback was so unbelievable. Was it 31-14 in the 4th qtr?
The 2010 game saw Wayne, led by Braxton Miller, leading 28-7 (I think) in the 3rd quarter. Eds won, led by their QB Kevin Burke, 35-28. (If memory serves correct, I didn't look it up.) Burke went on to be the two-time National Player of the Year for Div 3 Mount Union, winning a National Championship his sophomore year. That may be the game you remember, if not the aforementioned 2015 game. Both required late heroics, and had Jay Minton wondering what he had to do to win one of these things. I think the 2014 Eds championship was also against Wayne. Winning the first one has proven to be tough for a number of schools, as Eds was 0-3 until their breakthrough in 2010.

The 2010 game saw Wayne, led by Braxton Miller, leading 28-7 (I think) in the 3rd quarter. Eds won, led by their QB Kevin Burke, 35-28. (If memory serves correct, I didn't look it up.) Burke went on to be the two-time National Player of the Year for Div 3 Mount Union, winning a National Championship his sophomore year. That may be the game you remember, if not the aforementioned 2015 game. Both required late heroics, and had Jay Minton wondering what he had to do to win one of these things. I think the 2014 Eds championship was also against Wayne. Winning the first one has proven to be tough for a number of schools, as Eds was 0-3 until their breakthrough in 2010.
Braxton Miller was next level athlete in hs . If my memory serves correct it was the first time an 8th seed made it to the finals and had Ed’s on the ropes.

late in the fourth Wayne hit a huge pass down the Ed’s sideline but it was snowing out at and wr stepped outta bounds.

Braxton Miller was next level athlete in hs . If my memory serves correct it was the first time an 8th seed made it to the finals and had Ed’s on the ropes.

late in the fourth Wayne hit a huge pass down the Ed’s sideline but it was snowing out at and wr stepped outta bounds.
I remember watching that; so close!

Yes, it is very tough to get there and even tougher to win it. Good Luck to both teams and Go Wildcats!

Since 2000, there have been very few times that a public has won a D1 state championship, when playing one of the big 5 private schools. I think maybe Pick Central over Elder, has been the only one.

Eds needs to keep winning these titles before the resurgence of that school I'm Ohio City, across the street from Wendy's.

Before you pass judgment on this, why don't you give Schondelmyer the opportunity to dazzle you and St. Eds on Friday?
Probably because I have seen many HS football games over my many years of going. And Allar is one of the best I've seen. Add to that he graduated in December and early enrolled at PSU last January with a full ride. That speaks volumes about what this kid did on a football field. He was a 5 star recruit as well. So between my in person eye test, his credentials on the field, him being a 5 star recruit, and getting a full ride to PSU, I'm going with Allar. Schondelmyer may someday be equal to Allar, but he has a ways to go to match Allar's all around success. And he won Mr. Ohio as a senior and it was a runaway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.