Division I State Championship: St. Edward (14-1) vs Springfield (13-1)

Who wins?

• St. Edward by 17+

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • St. Edward by 8-16

Votes: 73 39.5%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably because I have seen many HS football games over my many years of going. And Allar is one of the best I've seen. Add to that he graduated in December and early enrolled at PSU last January with a full ride. That speaks volumes about what this kid did on a football field. He was a 5 star recruit as well. So between my in person eye test, his credentials on the field, him being a 5 star recruit, and getting a full ride to PSU, I'm going with Allar. Schondelmyer may someday be equal to Allar, but he has a ways to go to match Allar's all around success.
Schondelmyer has been overlooked because he was in D6 for 3 years. Again, just give him a chance to dazzle you. Ratings and where you go to school aren't everything. Tom Brady was an overlooked 3rd string qb at Michigan. He was not considered to be much of anything in the NFL draft. He got his big break when Bledsoe got injured. Aaron Rodgers played football at a community College. I think Baker Mayfield was a walk on at Oklahoma. In contrast, Tim Tebow had all the ratings and credentials and was a total bust in the NFL. Look how Johnny Football turned out in the NFL. Braxton Miller didn't accomplish much in the NFL. Schondelmyer is going to surprise you and St Eds. He's already taken Division 1 by storm

Last edited:
Schondelmyer has been overlooked because he was in D6 for 3 years. Again, just give him a chance to dazzle you. Ratings and where you go to school aren't everything
And I forgot to mention that Allar won Mr. Ohio last year and it was a run away. He always has a chance to dazzle. And maybe he will. But he has a long ways to go to match Allar in every aspect I mentioned.

And I forgot to mention that Allar won Mr. Ohio last year and it was a run away. He always has a chance to dazzle. And maybe he will. But he has a long ways to go to match Allar in every aspect I mentioned.
Allar wasn't very dazzling in his last HS game. Smoot did far better against St Eds than Allar did.

The defense needs to bring out the aggression package on the first drive and try to shock Springfield. I've been questioning the offense all year, but as the season has gone on I've realized they will get the job done, as long as the defense does their job. I think the first possession for each team will tell us a lot about how the game will go. If Eds can get a 3 and out and then kill a bunch of clock with a 14 play rush-heavy drive, I obviously like our chances.

I don't really know who a close game favors, if it favors a team at all. Outside of the brief tie game in the 3rd quarter of the second Ignatius game, Eds has been pretty much dominant since the middle of October. Springfield was tested pretty hard just last week, but on the flip side, did it beat them up?

Looking like it's going to be chilly and wet with some decent wind. This game may well come down to who fumbles a punt.

Allar wasn't very dazzling in his last HS game. Smoot did far better against St Eds than Allar did.
You keep focusing on his last game. When your Qb:
1. wins Mr. Ohio - based on his HS senior season
2. Gets a full ride to a power 5 school as a Qb - based on his high school career.
3. is a 5 star recruit - based on his HS career.

Let me know, then maybe we can put the 2 in the same sentence. But not now and not after Friday no matter what happens.

2. Gets a full ride to a power 5 school as a Qb - based on his high school career.

Let me know, then maybe we can put the 2 in the same sentence. But not now and not after Friday no matter what happens.
Enjoy reading your posts as I know you follow OH football. Hopefully, ORB doesn’t group you in with Ed’s fans as he occasionally does, if he doesn’t like what he reads.

He'd rather get the win and the state title on Friday than pad his individual stats and profile...

Last edited:
I have nothing to be angry about. My favorite team is doing very well and is closing in on the state championship. You seem to be the one who has a problem with that.
So if and when they loose are you gonna disappear again because you can’t handle a loss just like last year? Asking for everyone

I do hope for a great game , and an injury free one. But when push comes to shove this game will be won in the trenches and that will be the deciding factor.

Ed’s will impose there will and chew clock , the defense will do what they have done all year and put this game away late.

my only concern to be honest is the Ed’s kicker in a close one with the weather.

No idea how springfields special teams are have only seen a few games.

So if and when they loose are you gonna disappear again because you can’t handle a loss just like last year? Asking for everyone

I do hope for a great game , and an injury free one. But when push comes to shove this game will be won in the trenches and that will be the deciding factor.

Ed’s will impose there will and chew clock , the defense will do what they have done all year and put this game away late.

my only concern to be honest is the Ed’s kicker in a close one with the weather.

No idea how springfields special teams are have only seen a few games.
love a private school education. :D

Win or lose, I hope there's after game discussion. Should be a lot of amazing effort worth describing.

The 2010 game saw Wayne, led by Braxton Miller, leading 28-7 (I think) in the 3rd quarter. Eds won, led by their QB Kevin Burke, 35-28. (If memory serves correct, I didn't look it up.) Burke went on to be the two-time National Player of the Year for Div 3 Mount Union, winning a National Championship his sophomore year. That may be the game you remember, if not the aforementioned 2015 game. Both required late heroics, and had Jay Minton wondering what he had to do to win one of these things. I think the 2014 Eds championship was also against Wayne. Winning the first one has proven to be tough for a number of schools, as Eds was 0-3 until their breakthrough in 2010.
2010…I was there. Wayne was up 21-7 when momentum changed on an interception deep in Wayne’s territory. You can Google the game and find the recap on OHSAA’s page. Ed’s reeled off 21 unanswered points before Wayne retook the lead. The Eagles scored the last touchdown. Coach Minton commented some time later that he missed an opportunity to use Braxton on defense. It was cold and snowy. We saw Coach Tressell at Roosters earlier that day.

I expect a hell of a game. Schondelmyer does a great job of buying himself time in the pocket despite not being as athletic as Smoot. Trench play will decide this
I think In the trenches springfield just doesn’t match up well. Too much of a finesse team for me.

They've never faced a qb like Schondelmyer. You'll see what I'm saying next week. St Eds scored 6 points against Moeller while SHS had 28. SHS has vastly improved week to week.
Matchups matter. Not smart to just assume based on score comparisons.

Braxton Miller was next level athlete in hs . If my memory serves correct it was the first time an 8th seed made it to the finals and had Ed’s on the ropes.

late in the fourth Wayne hit a huge pass down the Ed’s sideline but it was snowing out at and wr stepped outta bounds.
Not sure if it was the first time but I know Wayne squeezed in by less than 1/2 point. They opened against #1 seeded Middletown and Jalin Marshall on another cold and windy night. Wayne came out on top 21-0. They beat the Elks the next week, St X., and Hilliard-Davidson in the following weeks.

Not sure if it was the first time but I know Wayne squeezed in by less than 1/2 point. They opened against #1 seeded Middletown and Jalin Marshall on another cold and windy night. Wayne came out on top 21-0. They beat the Elks the next week, St X., and Hilliard-Davidson in the following weeks.
Everyone said Wayne wouldn't be able to score against the HD defense but Wayne had 28 points at halftime and the game was essentially put away then.

Last edited:
I think In the trenches springfield just doesn’t match up well. Too much of a finesse team for me.
We heard that last week too. That Moeller's run game was unstoppable and their O-line was so invincible they'd put a running clock on SHS. If Moeller won and would be St Ed's opponent, everyone would be saying it's a toss-up and will be a very tightly contested "holy war" type game again. Why you people can't just give credit where it's due is beyond me.

Last edited:
Yes I understand, but they beat Mentor, and Glenville.. two public schools. Also Colerain beat Canton McKinley. I was more referring to the championship games against the D1 big catholics.
Since 1999, a public school has played a private school in the D1 finals 14 times. The private schools are 13-1 in those games. The lone win by publics was Pick Central over Elder in 2019 (as previously mentioned). All of the other public schools to win did so by beating another public school in the finals.

Since 1999, a public school has played a private school in the D1 finals 14 times. The private schools are 13-1 in those games. The lone win by publics was Pick Central over Elder in 2019 (as previously mentioned). All of the other public schools to win did so by beating another public school in the finals.
Yes, you're exactly right on this. That was the point I was trying to make, that the publics just can't seem to be the privates in the D1 finals, except that 1. Now if you go way back when the playoff era first started I believe there was a few more publics winning, but not many in D1, or the old AAA

Because of the competitive advantage private schools have, some states hold separate playoffs. Another very rare public school triumph was Lima in 1996. They beat Elder in state semifinals and the St Ignatius during their glory years.
Yes I remember Lima doing that. Back around then Canton McKinley beat Moeller, and St. X in back to back years. Also back in 86, I believe Fairfield beat St. Ed.

Yes I remember Lima going that
Also, the D1 state champion almost always comes from a big city or a suburb of a big city. The independent smaller blue collar towns throughout Ohio have not fared well in D1 at all. Lima and Canton McKinley may be the only state champions that came from small town Ohio. But back in the day, the senior public high schools from towns like that ruled HS sports.

Because of the competitive advantage private schools have, some states hold separate playoffs. Another very rare public school triumph was Lima in 1996. They beat Elder in state semifinals and then St Ignatius during their glory years. Also, it's interesting how all of the privates in Cincinnati are very successful every year, while Cleveland seems to only have 1 powerhouse private school at a time.
St. Ignatius may not be St. Ignatius of the 90s, but they still have a 13-9 record vs. the GCL South over the past 10 years.

St. Ignatius may not be St. Ignatius of the 90s, but they still have a 13-9 record vs. the GCL South over the past 10 years.
That's got nothing to do with it. I'm saying that according to various Cleveland posters, St Edward essentially replaced St Ignatius as the private school powerhouse up there. But, in Cincinnati, while they may take turns going to State each year, all of the GCL schools have remained powerhouses.

That's got nothing to do with it. I'm saying that according to various Cleveland posters, St Edward essentially replaced St Ignatius as the private school powerhouse up there. But, in Cincinnati, while they may take turns going to State each year, all of the GCL schools have remained powerhouses.
"powerhouses"

ROFLMAO hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.