DIV-V Region 17

I had Harrison Central’s playing style in mind more than the end result. Everyone including myself knows Kirtland should win this game without trouble between a 1 & 16 seed. Given that the Hornets have never faced the Huskies before, I am more interested in how they operate, especially on offense

Unfortunatley for the Huskies this year has been nothing but injuries. They have almost half of their team out with season ending injuries or badly banged up. They were blessed in the past by the Mitchell family giving them 4 Division 1 talented boys, but no more. They have a sophmore quarterback who runs for his life in most games. A offensive line that has no depth other than the Smith boy whom is a senior and plays with heart and faith. They have been playing more and more underclassmen over the past 3 weeks just to field a team. Coach Hayes has struggled with the numbers getting smaller each year. I believe they are at around 25 kids at the start of this year. Future is looking a little better as he has tried to implement a feeder system. The hardest obsticle is the culture out there. Parents want there kids to be super stars but don't think they should be coached to get the most out of them. To many feelings and not enough coaching going on for my taste. They have a decent running back & linebacker but rumor is His parents don't want him to play in this game because he is preparing for the Navy. There #1, #2 receivers will be watching from the sidelines, 1 is in a sling with a broken Collar bone, and the other got hurt early in the year with a leg injury. The stud running back from last year transferred out to a private school.

Anyway that was just my opinion. Kirtland big in this one. JV could probably play after the Varsity scores 21. Harrison may not even smell the Red Zone in this one.

Unfortunatley for the Huskies this year has been nothing but injuries. They have almost half of their team out with season ending injuries or badly banged up. They were blessed in the past by the Mitchell family giving them 4 Division 1 talented boys, but no more. They have a sophmore quarterback who runs for his life in most games. A offensive line that has no depth other than the Smith boy whom is a senior and plays with heart and faith. They have been playing more and more underclassmen over the past 3 weeks just to field a team. Coach Hayes has struggled with the numbers getting smaller each year. I believe they are at around 25 kids at the start of this year. Future is looking a little better as he has tried to implement a feeder system. The hardest obsticle is the culture out there. Parents want there kids to be super stars but don't think they should be coached to get the most out of them. To many feelings and not enough coaching going on for my taste. They have a decent running back & linebacker but rumor is His parents don't want him to play in this game because he is preparing for the Navy. There #1, #2 receivers will be watching from the sidelines, 1 is in a sling with a broken Collar bone, and the other got hurt early in the year with a leg injury. The stud running back from last year transferred out to a private school.

Anyway that was just my opinion. Kirtland big in this one. JV could probably play after the Varsity scores 21. Harrison may not even smell the Red Zone in this one.
That is an unfortunate situation. Sorry to hear about the injury-riddled season & parent politics. If it’s any consolation, coach Tiger LaVerde & his staff know when to put underclassmen in if the game gets too out of hand.
As an example, last week against Orange, the Hornets had scored 21 points in the first few minutes of the game & he ended up throwing the freshmen/JV offense into the game for multiple possessions.
With that being said, I expect the Huskies to put up the best showing they can. It’s not often you get the chance to play a perennial state champion like Kirtland & showcase your skills, so I’m sure the team will make at least a few nice plays. Best of luck on Saturday!

One of the hardest things keeping teams/programs from realizing their potential is when the kids go home. Too many times you have kids with a bad home life that limits them or over-involved parents (will avoid using certain names) that want to "protect" their kids.

Recall a work experience when a youngster was ripped up because he ignored some safety protocols and we had a near miss. He didn't think it was that big of a deal and when the foreman tore into him he registered a complaint. The Supervisor then tore into the foreman (in front of the crew) for not suspending him and told the kid he just had 3 strikes on 1 swing. The kid's dad called the HR department a few days later to complain. . . . needless to say Jr's life was not much fun after that and he didn't last long.

Congrats to Huskies for making it to week 11. Teams like this getting some second season experience are one of the things that makes me ok with the expanded playoffs.

As a Parent of 3 IVC athletes, I have steadily watched Garaway since 2008. This is the best defense I’ve ever seen them have. I know Kirtland is on a different level, but I can see Garaway playing everyone in this region fits. Kirtland will be rough but I like there chances against everyone else in the Region

Not the way you post, at least the kirtland posters on here have some. Spread I see your like how's your struthers team doing ?
Did play well this season as nobody expected. I think SR and kirtland will be tested a little and anything can happen when or if they get matched up together. The top 4 seeds are all solid, you can lose a high school game by a couple bad plays and a little bit of luck. This region I believe holds the state champion

How was Kirtland's program pre Tiger? Say 80s and 90s
Kirtland always have had tough teams through the 70's and middle 80's. The playoff system was different in those days. We had 8-2 and 9-0-1 teams that didnt get into the playoff system in that time. Back then it was for awhile just 4 teams in the region. I think in the early 90's it went up to 8 teams. Kirtland in my day only championship that we could get achieve was the ESC ( East Suburban Conference) champion. Many times through 70's Kirtland either won or co-champs quite a bit.

Kirtland always have had tough teams through the 70's and middle 80's. The playoff system was different in those days. We had 8-2 and 9-0-1 teams that didnt get into the playoff system in that time. Back then it was for awhile just 4 teams in the region. I think in the early 90's it went up to 8 teams. Kirtland in my day only championship that we could get achieve was the ESC ( East Suburban Conference) champion. Many times through 70's Kirtland either won or co-champs quite a bit.
The quick rundown of the playoff system:
1972: The OHSAA used 3 Classes, 4 playoff regions per class, and a computer points system to identify the 1 team per region that qualified to the playoffs.
1980: OHSAA expanded the playoffs to 5 divisions and 2 teams per region.
1985: OHSAA expanded to 4 teams per region.
1996: OHSAA expanded to 6 divisions.
1999: OHSAA expanded to 8 teams per region.
2014: OHSAA expanded to 7 divisions.
2020: OHSAA allowed all teams to qualify due to the limited regular season brought on by COVID.
2021: OHSAA expanded to 16 teams per region.

Hey good luck to your cards Sat night, got to try Two Travelers Tavern, I ate their when Garaway played Garfield 2 yrs ago.
Thanks Flash, same to your IVC Champ Pirates!!!! I hope the Cards come to play, with so many frosh/soph playing, you never know... Been playing with a few banged up young men nearly all season.. My grandson has been playing since week 3 with an injury that needs surgically repaired once the season ends, has admirably played through the pain, as have others for the love of the game!!!!

Last edited:
Brick tavern. But go early and park at school…trust me, you’ll want to walk back after you eat.
This place came up as my daughter was searching for an establishment.... How far from the school is it? I'm a bit disabled and can't walk distances :( Two years ago Kirtland4580 set us up at an ideal spot when the Cards came to town, literally a 2-3 minute walk from the stadium.. Great food/people!!!! Thanks RG......

This place came up as my daughter was searching for an establishment.... How far from the school is it? I'm a bit disabled and can't walk distances :( Two years ago Kirtland4580 set us up at an ideal spot when the Cards came to town, literally a 2-3 minute walk from the stadium.. Great food/people!!!! Thanks RG......
I’ve never been to Garfield for football but have passed thru town for work so that’s how I knew about it. I don’t think it is that close. Only ate there once but havent stopped trying to find a reason to go back. ; )

I’ve never been to Garfield for football but have passed thru town for work so that’s how I knew about it. I don’t think it is that close. Only ate there once but havent stopped trying to find a reason to go back. ; )
Not a problem... I do think this will be where we go, regardless of how far the stadium is.... Brick Tavern just sounds inviting!!!! Thanks again RG....

Not sure if you remember Coach Carion from the 70s? But my dad played for him on those 70s teams. They were pretty good back then.