DI Springfield vs St Edward Updates (12/01/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will always be flattered by this idea that Eds alums can somehow come up with 20,000 dollars a year to send kids to the school to play football. Believe me, if I had those means, I would.

This is more important than football championships. St. Edward sent all 210 graduates to a college last year, and 96.2% of those went to a 4-year college. Parents send their kids to St. Edward to go to college, not to play football.
StEds.png

It has everything to do with how Wayne can no longer compete with Springfield. You bitched and complained about getting SHS at home in the 1st round. You even tried to ban SHS fans from the game. And after SHS defeated you soundly, you still complained about the lack of handshakes. You got what you deserved. A 1st round playoff loss at home...
I just wanna know how in tf is Springfield a dynasty?

Eds has reached the point where 990 is making arguments for “not so loaded teams.”

by what definition? The other loaded Eds teams?

let’s get real here. Put Lombardo at Strongsville and he wouldn’t be successful.
Same would go for Kyle even though most cat fans thought he walked on water.

it’s all about the situation. Had Lombardo and Franzinger switched sidelines, would the outcome have been different this year? Absolutely not.

it’s about talent.

Eds has reached the point where 990 is making arguments for “not so loaded teams.”

by what definition? The other loaded Eds teams?

let’s get real here. Put Lombardo at Strongsville and he wouldn’t be successful.
Same would go for Kyle even though most cat fans thought he walked on water.

it’s all about the situation. Had Lombardo and Franzinger switched sidelines, would the outcome have been different this year? Absolutely not.

it’s about talent.

I suppose it depends on what you consider successful. Would he win 5 state championships at Strongsville…highly doubtful. Would he have them competitive within their conference and achieving some modicum of post-season success…I think his history at Highland and Lake Catholic suggests he would. Think he might do pretty well at Avon, Mentor?

I suppose it depends on what you consider successful. Would he win 5 state championships at Strongsville…highly doubtful. Would he have them competitive within their conference and achieving some modicum of post-season success…I think his history at Highland and Lake Catholic suggests he would. Think he might do pretty well at Avon, Mentor?
So he would just magically make these Strongsville teams have more talent? This is the coach them up nonsense I heard for years at Ignatius about Kyle.

Maybe he would do well at Avon and Mentor. They both have talent. I’m not saying he isn’t a good coach, but it’s the talent that matters.

again, let he and Franzinger switch sides at this year’s Holy War. Would the results be different? No. One team had a ton of talent and the other team didn’t.

Lombardo was at Highland and he wasn’t winning state championships. Mike Elder made Avon football into what it is today. Put him at Ed’s and he probably has half a dozen state titles by now. Sure, Lombardo is an excellent coach, but winning multiple state titles if he went to Avon or Mentor? Doubtful. He was highly competitive at Highland, but he wasn’t winning state titles. Just be thankful for the many advantages the football coach at St Edward enjoys. Congrats on another state championship.

So he would just magically make these Strongsville teams have more talent? This is the coach them up nonsense I heard for years at Ignatius about Kyle.

Maybe he would do well at Avon and Mentor. They both have talent. I’m not saying he isn’t a good coach, but it’s the talent that matters.

again, let he and Franzinger switch sides at this year’s Holy War. Would the results be different? No. One team had a ton of talent and the other team didn’t.

I've seen Ed's teams with a ton of talent, sometimes with more talent than Iggy, get coached into the ground. I get your point, it is always about talent - at every level! There's no question about it! At the high school level, if you can control the line of scrimmage you're going to have a ton of success. That has been the formula for Eds. To say that the average Joe could have the same success with this year's team or the 2018 team...I don't buy it. Even in 2010, the play calling in the 2nd half of the state title game to get the Eagles back in it was masterful.

Last edited:
I've seen Ed's teams with a ton of talent, sometimes with more talent than Iggy, get coached into the ground. I get your point, it is always about talent - at every level! There's no question about it! At the high school level, if you can control the line of scrimmage you're going to have a ton of success. That has been the formula for Eds. To say that the average Joe could have the same success with this year's team or the 2018 team...I don't buy it. Even in 2010, the play calling in the 2nd half of the state title game to get the Eagles back in it was masterful.
The interception in deep Wayne territory didn’t hurt either. Wayne should have run the ball and punted. But you’re right, the second half was a different game plan. Would have liked to have seen what Coach Minton talked about in the weeks after the game and that was playing Braxton both ways. Coulda, shoulda, woulda…lol.

Can’t we go back to the way things were back after the 2009 game? Eds football seemed to be circling the drain. Now it’s the other school.

Lombardo was at Highland and he wasn’t winning state championships. Mike Elder made Avon football into what it is today. Put him at Ed’s and he probably has half a dozen state titles by now. Sure, Lombardo is an excellent coach, but winning multiple state titles if he went to Avon or Mentor? Doubtful. He was highly competitive at Highland, but he wasn’t winning state titles. Just be thankful for the many advantages the football coach at St Edward enjoys. Congrats on another state championship.
Where did I say he would win multiple state championships at Avon or Mentor? I do think he would be highly successful at those types of programs, having them in contention to compete for state titles. Clearly he enjoys a talent advantage at St. Edward, but PDC seemed to by implying just about anybody could do what he's done (or at least Franzinger). From what I saw of Franzinger's personnel decisions and game day execution, it doesn't appear to me he has any clue as to how to run a successful program. Perhaps that will change.

Where did I say he would win multiple state championships at Avon or Mentor? I do think he would be highly successful at those types of programs, having them in contention to compete for state titles. Clearly he enjoys a talent advantage at St. Edward, but PDC seemed to by implying just about anybody could do what he's done (or at least Franzinger). From what I saw of Franzinger's personnel decisions and game day execution, it doesn't appear to me he has any clue as to how to run a successful program. Perhaps that will change.
He’ll get better

Why don't you ask everyone in the GWOC, R2 and Moeller that question
SHS has unquestionably had a heck of a run. A Dynasty they are not. That is like saying the Bills of the 90's were a dynasty. They were not, if they would have won one, the narrative changes. Same with SHS, if they can win one, the narrative changes.

I wondered what Yappi would do if someone commented on one of the MASS1LON threads? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.
After over 50 years, they finally got a ring and are now the know it all chest thumpers once again. 🙊🙉🙈
For goodness sakes act like you’ve been there before. Oh wait, they haven’t. 🤣🤣🤣
Not sure why they deem it necessary to post on this thread. Just trolls that have nothing better to do I guess.

SHS has unquestionably had a heck of a run. A Dynasty they are not. That is like saying the Bills of the 90's were a dynasty. They were not, if they would have won one, the narrative changes. Same with SHS, if they can win one, the narrative changes.
To me, a dynasty is success year in and year out. It's not necessary to win the state championship. But 5 straight regional championships and 3 straight appearances in the title game in Canton is enough to be a dynasty. Colerain was considered a dynasty for years although they only won the state championship once. Lima and Fairfield won the state championship once as well but neither were ever considered dynasties. But don't worry, SHS will break through, hopefully next year. They return Upshaw as qb, the O-line and a number of players who made significant contributions this year. Plus, the playoffs experience the past 5 years has created high expectations and standards. Coach Douglass he would win the state title. And I believe him. St Edward was state runner-up 3 times before they broke through.

To me, a dynasty is success year in and year out. It's not necessary to win the state championship. But 5 straight regional championships and 3 straight appearances in the title game in Canton is enough to be a dynasty. Colerain was considered a dynasty for years although they only won the state championship once. Lima and Fairfield won the state championship once as well but neither were ever considered dynasties. But don't worry, SHS will break through, hopefully next year. They return Upshaw as qb, the O-line and a number of players who made significant contributions this year. Plus, the playoffs experience the past 5 years has created high expectations and standards. Coach Douglass he would win the state title. And I believe him. St Edward was state runner-up 3 times before they broke through.
The examples of Colerain you point to won the big one... Lima and Fairfield also did but did not have the prolonged success of Colerain so no not deserving of the dynasty title. SHS has the opportunity if they win the big one (I am rooting for them to do so) but until they do not a dynasty (at least in my opinion. Great teams sure, dynasty No not yet

I will respond as someone who follows the GWOC. Great run yes Dynasty no. Since 2018 SHS has won the GWOC outright 2 times 2019 and 2022.

2018 Tied for first with Wayne 3-1 in league (lost to Fairmont who was 3rd)
2019 First (4-0 GWOC had two divisions)
2020 Second Place (5-1 Lost to Northmont who finished first)
2021 Tied for first with Wayne (6-1 Lost to Miamisburg who finished 6th in the GWOC)
2022 First (6-1 lost to a 4th place Fairmont team)
2023 Third place (three way tie for third)

A "dynasty" should at least be able to win their league outright during their run and toss in a couple more undefeated seasons.

I wondered what Yappi would do if someone commented on one of the MASS1LON threads? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.
After over 50 years, they finally got a ring and are now the know it all chest thumpers once again. 🙊🙉🙈
For goodness sakes act like you’ve been there before. Oh wait, they haven’t. 🤣🤣🤣
Not sure why they deem it necessary to post on this thread. Just trolls that have nothing better to do I guess.
🤡0️⃣

They still haven't won one in D1...

Status
Not open for further replies.