Cincinnati Area Open Jobs

Updated list after the Moss hiring at West. Thanks for the assist @strickly_layups

Current Openings-------------------Previous Coach
Wilmington ----------------------------Jermaine Issac
Badin------------------------------------Pat Kreke
Purcell Marian--------------------------Mark Majick
Mt. Orab Western Brown--------------Drake Williams
Winton Woods--------------------------Andre Tate
Hughes----------------------------------Brandon Grammer
St. Xavier--------------------------------Mike Noszka
Middletown------------------------------Kelven Moss

Filled:------------------------------------New Coach
Lakota West----------------------------Kelven Moss

Pretty much what I have heard also and discussed on the D1 rankings thread awhile back. X had a ton of talent this year and to underachieve has to fall squarely on the coach. As I mentioned before the kids looked unenthusiastic before and during games- looked defeated before they even started which is tough to see. I think he is a good coach but needed to focus more on the team building aspect vs “my way or highway” temperament. Feel bad for his kid, but at least it happened before he started at X vs what happened with the Martins.
Not sure why you feel the need to keep mentioning his son, but you need to stop. The kid hasn’t played one minute of high school basketball, leave him out of it. Should never even be mentioned. I know people who know the family and they say they are great people. Find something better to discuss than an eighth grader. This is not the first time you have brought up his son.

Not sure why you feel the need to keep mentioning his son, but you need to stop. The kid hasn’t played one minute of high school basketball, leave him out of it. Should never even be mentioned. I know people who know the family and they say they are great people. Find something better to discuss than an eighth grader. This is not the first time you have brought up his son.
Actually someone else mentioned it and I responded to that with no disparage at all- aim elsewhere

Moss is a good coach & trainer, but damn in his 10 years of HC experience this is his 4th stop!!!! Also, my circle of people are telling me that Noska will not entertain the Wilmington job. I look to see him possibly try for Xenia!
Its about the fit and timing.. This is a perfect fit!

Have a great one and said nothing even remotely wrong- always a staunch defender on here of kids while others bash.
You are a mom who uses an anonymous screen name to publicly discuss a 14-year-old's future plans. In a previous post, you even mentioned his friends and where they are going to school. While not malicious, per say, it's inappropriate.

Anyone hear anything about Western Brown? That job come tournament time is a tough one. I know the previous coaches and they have done a great job, when I have seen them play out east. Any names circling for that one? Anyone within? Any outsiders looking to move in? Haven't heard a peep from this one.

I think you are going to see many “my way or the Highway” coaches on the bread line from here on…that is not how life works anymore (like it or not it is reality) in sports, business or relationships. ..you can evolve and change with the game and the kids or be the old man yelling “get off my lawn”.

I think you are going to see many “my way or the Highway” coaches on the bread line from here on…that is not how life works anymore (like it or not it is reality) in sports, business or relationships. ..you can evolve and change with the game and the kids or be the old man yelling “get off my lawn”.
"Get off my Lawn" That part!!!:p

You are a mom who uses an anonymous screen name to publicly discuss a 14-year-old's future plans. In a previous post, you even mentioned his friends and where they are going to school. While not malicious, per se, it's inappropriate.
Ah get a grip- it’s friggin yappi, an anonymous chat site full of idiots spreading gossip and conjecture. I said nothing inappropriate or insensitive- sorry your guy got fired, but direct your ire elsewhere.

As for the Western Brown job I have not heard even any gossip on that job. It is a tough job because of the D1 numbers. From being someone pretty close to the situation I dont have a good feeling about it. What they really need is someone willing to put in the time all the way down to the youth programs to try to build this up. It cant be someone who just wants to coach varsity and be interested in the kids when they get to high school. Even though there numbers put them at D1 it still is a small community situation. Another problem is they have a history of just promoting within the program and also having some other hiring practices that are questionable. That being said I know in the past they usually dont get a lot of applicants when this job opens up. I hope they bring in someone willing to put the time in because the next 4 or 5 years they are most likely going to struggle to win games. Also some patience from administration will help if the new coach does not immediately win.

Cupps is

St X really isn't an athletic powerhouse. The differences in talent that seek out X is vast and varying. Kids go to X for so many more reasons than sports, it is by far the most broad base of student in Cincinnati. The majority go there for things OTHER than sports.
Tell that to the Swim Team
Cupps is

St X really isn't an athletic powerhouse. The differences in talent that seek out X is vast and varying. Kids go to X for so many more reasons than sports, it is by far the most broad base of student in Cincinnati. The majority go there for things OTHER than sports.
This might be one of the most uniformed post of all time. Go tell the swim team St X isn't an athletic powerhouse. Go tell Specht St X isn't an athletic powerhouse. 4 years ago when this basketball coach got started the freshmen team was loaded. Three of those kids transferred out and two of the starters quit all because this basketball coach is not well liked. I am telling you, if StX can get a good basketball coach the program the athletes will show up. StX has something different to offer in the way of it being an excellent academic prep school and this is appealing for a lot of really good athletes.

This might be one of the most uniformed post of all time. Go tell the swim team St X isn't an athletic powerhouse. Go tell Specht St X isn't an athletic powerhouse. 4 years ago when this basketball coach got started the freshmen team was loaded. Three of those kids transferred out and two of the starters quit all because this basketball coach is not well liked. I am telling you, if StX can get a good basketball coach the program the athletes will show up. StX has something different to offer in the way of it being an excellent academic prep school and this is appealing for a lot of really good athletes.
You're kind of proving my point. What other school has kids that seek out a swim program? Same is true for their honors and AP programs. Same is true for their music program.

You're making my point for me. St X is a tremendously diverse school in terms of interests and activities. That's why you can't just assume they should be great in everything just because they have 1,700 students.

Time will tell. I assume the expectation is GMC championships and Regional appearances, since Leon had at least one (maybe two) district appearances.
In the current 10 team configuration of the GMC, that began in the 2007-08 season, Lakota West has a 122-118 record in GMC games which is 7th best, only ahead of Sycamore (89-151), Hamilton (83-155) and Colerain (42-198). Lakota West since the 2007-08 season has shared one GMC title in 2012-13 with a 9-5 record along with Middletown, Sycamore, and Fairfield in a 4-way tie for first.

It is going to be a very difficult proposition to move Lakota West up anymore than Jim Leon did with 2 District appearances in his 5 years IMO, and with the current football coach who was at #10 Colerain for so many of these GMC years. West is big enough that if the kids play multiple sports, and don't have to do weight room first in the Winter season for football, they may be able to crack the middle 5 of the GMC. Also Clint Atkins at Lakota East has put together the top record in the GMC at 162-80 and resides in the same school district. We'll see if Moss stays longer than two years, which has been his tenure at most of his previous gigs including his alma mater Middletown (who has a very good team returning so he really wanted the West job). I agree time will tell!!

Last edited:
In the current 10 team configuration of the GMC, that began in the 2007-08 season, Lakota West has a 122-118 record in GMC games which is 7th best, only ahead of Sycamore (89-151), Hamilton (83-155) and Colerain (42-198). Lakota West since the 2007-08 season has shared one GMC title in 2012-13 with a 9-5 record along with Middletown, Sycamore, and Fairfield in a 4-way tie for first.

It is going to be a very difficult proposition to move Lakota West up anymore than Jim Leon did with 2 District appearances in his 5 years IMO, and with the current football coach who was at #10 Colerain for so many of these GMC years. West is big enough that if the kids play multiple sports, and don't have to do weight room first in the Winter season for football, they may be able to crack the middle 5 of the GMC. Also Clint Atkins at Lakota East has put together the top record in the GMC at 162-80 and resides in the same school district. We'll see if Moss stays longer than two years, which has been his tenure at most of his previous gigs including his alma mater Middletown (who has a very good team returning so he really wanted the West job).
Agreed. I think “consistently in the top half” of the conference is a more appropriate goal.

Ah get a grip- it’s friggin yappi, an anonymous chat site full of idiots spreading gossip and conjecture. I said nothing inappropriate or insensitive- sorry your guy got fired, but direct your ire elsewhere.
This forum is for discussing high school basketball programs and their coaches, not family members, especially children.

This forum is for discussing high school basketball programs and their coaches, not family members, especially children.
I’m sorry I said I felt bad for a kid that his dad got fired from the school he was going to attend (and I do genuinely feel for him). I can see how horrific that was of me to say and I will never say another word about any coaches kid or family again- thank goodness the Cupps have tougher skin!

And if you think what I said was bad you should really take a look around this dumpster fire 🔥
I didn’t feel u were attacking the kid. I also feel sorry for the son, esp if he was planning on going to X next year. He’s a victim in this whole messed up situation, along with a few more kids over the last few seasons. Athletes mental health matters.

4-21 vs your biggest rival in baseball over a 10 year period is extremely mediocre.
Not sure who you’re calling their biggest rival but they haven’t been 4-21 vs anybody during that span.

Since 2017, the league was won by:
17: X
18: Moe
19: X, Moe, Elder
20: COVID-19
21: X
22: Moe

Clearly their “biggest rival” during that time is Moeller. Record vs Moeller by year:
17: 1-2
18: 2-1
19: 3-0
20: no games
21: 2-1
22: 1-2
Total: 9-6

No idea where you’re getting your info. It’s right on the league site.

Word gets around when enough people are unhappy with a coach or a program- and its not about winning or losing it’s about not enjoying being a part of something. X is definitely a draw and they could be top tier at every single activity/sport and even if the program is just decent it will attract kids. But if the word is there are problems it can be a deterrent even for a school like X. For example- One of the better Point guards in the city (non football player) chose another private school despite having connections there and he is not the only one. This is not a case of a couple of disgruntled folks- it was pretty wide spread. Basketball is a small world- people talk and if there were issues also within the school (as posters were saying on the X page) then you lose players and ultimately the gig if the AD is paying attention.
And for added measure (why not since the X faithful hate me) - how does a school the size of X have such a puny band? I know you say can’t be great at everything but I was shocked when we came to a home game last year and they had more people working concessions than kids marching during half time?!

Last edited:

St X has been a highly academic school with 1800-2000 kids walking the halls, and the vast majority are not athletes.

Western Brown has been a good program for years and I think they'll get someone to continue that. From playing against them out east, if they were a D2 southeast team, they'd make a dominant run every year out here. They were a really tough defensive team the last couple of years when we played them and that probably stems from the competition in the southwest. They seem to be big on football, but they still got it done on the hardwood too. As far as pee wee goes, too many places have random people in charge who only do the pee-wee stuff and that's it. Sometimes its hard to pull that away from a community and get them to buy in. The southeast does a good job with it, but these communities are a lot smaller. But like I said, easier said than done for a lot of these "chat" room topics.

St X has been a highly academic school with 1800-2000 kids walking the halls, and the vast majority are not athletes.
StX is roughly 1600 students and about 35% of them participate in athletics. I would be willing to bet this is a higher percentage than most D1 High Schools in Ohio.

PikeCo I agree about getting the cooperation with the 'peewee " level is difficult with WB being a DI school but a little more involvement with the jr high teams goes a long way. I agree that WB has been a good program at some level and it would be great for them to go Southeast District at tourney time whether that is D1 or D2 but most likely that will never happen. WB just doesnt have the talent level and most likely never will to be able to compete in DI Cincinnati. Unfortunately that will take a major change in enrollment numbers by the state to make them D2. Especially with the new subdivisions being built the enrollment is just going to climb higher. I am not being critical of anyone in the past coaching abilities I just think that in any program you cant wait until high school to be involved. A varsity coach is there to help the program at all levels where needed not just coach the varsity.